More than 1,000 dead birds fall from sky in Ark

Jan 2, 2011 Full story: news.yahoo.com 10,151

BEEBE, Ark. Wildlife officials are trying to determine what caused more than 1,000 blackbirds to die and fall from the sky over an Arkansas town.

The Arkansas Game and Fish Commission said Saturday that it began receiving reports about the dead birds about 11:30 p.m. the previous night. The birds fell over a 1-mile area of Beebe, and an aerial survey indicated that no other dead birds were found outside of that area. Full Story

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

#9109 Feb 27, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
I bet if coyotes were wiping out birds you would be screaming bloody murder!
Coyotes do eat some birds and eggs. That's the cycle of life. Why don't you accept it when it involves coyotes? And as you correctly noted, coyotes are NOT wiping out birds, or any other species for that matter. They just play their very important role in nature.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#9110 Feb 28, 2013
Raptor in Michigan wrote:
<quoted text>
My grouse lives in coyote territory in Northern MI. It's what the locals call "God's Country" because of how unspoiled it is up there. I would not be a happy camper if a coyote killed my grouse, but I would recognize the fact that in nature that stuff happens. As long as it's not my neighbors well-fed, non-native cat or dog that gets it, I'm good with that.
I don't believe for a minute that coyotes threaten the population of deer any more than human deer hunters do. Why do you think only humans should be able to hunt deer?
What you believe and what the facts actually are, are two different things. You see I live here, I see it every day. I have been hunting deer for decades. The local Game Wardens encourage the hunting of coyotes and they carry rifles themselves and shoot the coyotes on sight every chance they get. The coyotes hunt deer daily, I get to hunt them 5 days a year. There is a big difference in hunters harvesting deer and coyotes killing most fawns during fawning season. There are many factors involved such as drought and know nothing do-gooders like you who enable the coyote to wipe out deer populations. We have areas down here where deer thrived but do not exist anymore because of the coyote. I do not care what kind or how many New Mexico Enviornmental and Animal Science college classes you have taken in Michigan it is not the same as being here.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#9111 Feb 28, 2013
<quoted text>
Deer are nowhere near going extinct. I believe in managing and maintaining healthy populations of them, as well as all species.
Deer chomp on the understory vegetation that birds and small mammals need for nesting, food and shelter. Around here deer have contributed to significant declines in bird populations. In some of our parks, there is virtually NO undergrowth left, except in areas that have been fenced off to exclude deer.
When I fill the feeders up north the deer quickly arrive....a whole herd of them! Something is wrong with the picture when the deer outnumber some of the native birds.
I wouldn't dare tell you how to manage your deer in Michigan because I don't live there. I will tell you that here in New Mexico Mule Deer are going extinct. We don't have little parks where deer hang out and swap recipies. We have MILLIONS of acres of National Forest where the coyote is wiping out large deer and elk populations! You have trained those deer to arrive at your feeders and eat the brush around your property also. Yes YOU TRAINED them. You do-gooders always do more damage to nature than you realize. You just can't see it because you are blind to the facts..
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#9112 Feb 28, 2013
<quoted text>
Coyotes do eat some birds and eggs. That's the cycle of life. Why don't you accept it when it involves coyotes? And as you correctly noted, coyotes are NOT wiping out birds, or any other species for that matter. They just play their very important role in nature.
I do not care about birds as much as I do about deer and elk. Birds can adapt, they can build nests in other places and they can fly. A fawn or a calf has to lay in tall grass and hope a coyote doesn't find it for lunch until it gets strong enough to run off. During severe drought periods like the one we are currently in the grass does not get tall enough to conceal fawns properly, hence it makes it easier for coyotes to kill them. During extreme drought years when water is scarce a doe will absorb her fetus in order to survive, All factors combined the deer are going extinct here and the coyote has a lare role in that. I do not care what they teach you about New Mexico in Michigan, I live here. Now I am going to go kill me at least 3 coyotes today!!!

SE Michigan

#9113 Feb 28, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>What you believe and what the facts actually are, are two different things. You see I live here, I see it every day. I have been hunting deer for decades. The local Game Wardens encourage the hunting of coyotes and they carry rifles themselves and shoot the coyotes on sight every chance they get. The coyotes hunt deer daily, I get to hunt them 5 days a year. There is a big difference in hunters harvesting deer and coyotes killing most fawns during fawning season. There are many factors involved such as drought and know nothing do-gooders like you who enable the coyote to wipe out deer populations. We have areas down here where deer thrived but do not exist anymore because of the coyote. I do not care what kind or how many New Mexico Enviornmental and Animal Science college classes you have taken in Michigan it is not the same as being here.
I don't pretend to know about the deer population in New Mexico. I do know about it here though. There are ALOT of deer.

We have coyotes too. Why doesn't our population of coyotes get out of control like yours allegedly has? The only thing I can think is this: You people in New Mexico have open season on them and you kill alot of them. We don't. They aren't hunted nearly to the extent here as they are there. Once in a while some yahoo may kill one, but they aren't on everyone's hit list. You are disrupting their tight family structures when you kill the alphas of the pack. Every other pack member then vies for that alpha position and they all start breeding. In other words, by hunting them, you increase their population. It's what I learned in South Dakota at a coyote talk by one of the rangers after they researched the subject thoroughly. If you think that's wrong, take it up with them. It was at Custer State Park.

"There are many factors involved such as drought and know nothing do-gooders like you who enable the coyote to wipe out deer populations."
No shit, Sherlock, first you say it's coyotes, now you admit there is drought and other factors. I already knew that!

Wanting healthy popualtions of all wildlife doesn't make one a do-gooder. I could say the same about the game wardens there that shoot the coyotes in an effort to save the deer. Are they not "do-gooders" too, in their effort to save a different species?

"We have areas down here where deer thrived but do not exist anymore because of the coyote"
and because of the drought and other factors....

SE Michigan

#9114 Feb 28, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>I wouldn't dare tell you how to manage your deer in Michigan because I don't live there. I will tell you that here in New Mexico Mule Deer are going extinct. We don't have little parks where deer hang out and swap recipies. We have MILLIONS of acres of National Forest where the coyote is wiping out large deer and elk populations! You have trained those deer to arrive at your feeders and eat the brush around your property also. Yes YOU TRAINED them. You do-gooders always do more damage to nature than you realize. You just can't see it because you are blind to the facts..
"You have trained those deer to arrive at your feeders and eat the brush around your property also. Yes YOU TRAINED them."
The deer were here before I ever put a bird feeder out. They are not trained by me. The deer also eat the understory in places where there are no bird feeders or people. We also have millions of acres of forest, BTW. Federal, state land and private property.

That being the case, why doesn't OUR coyote population explode like yours has? There certainly isn't a lack of fawns to eat!

SE Michigan

#9115 Feb 28, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>I wouldn't dare tell you how to manage your deer in Michigan because I don't live there. I will tell you that here in New Mexico Mule Deer are going extinct. We don't have little parks where deer hang out and swap recipies. We have MILLIONS of acres of National Forest where the coyote is wiping out large deer and elk populations! You have trained those deer to arrive at your feeders and eat the brush around your property also. Yes YOU TRAINED them. You do-gooders always do more damage to nature than you realize. You just can't see it because you are blind to the facts..
"You do-gooders always do more damage to nature than you realize."
What makes me a do-gooder in your opinion?
How have I done damage to nature by being against open season of coyotes?
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#9116 Feb 28, 2013
<quoted text>
I don't pretend to know about the deer population in New Mexico. I do know about it here though. There are ALOT of deer.
We have coyotes too. Why doesn't our population of coyotes get out of control like yours allegedly has? The only thing I can think is this: You people in New Mexico have open season on them and you kill alot of them. We don't. They aren't hunted nearly to the extent here as they are there. Once in a while some yahoo may kill one, but they aren't on everyone's hit list. You are disrupting their tight family structures when you kill the alphas of the pack. Every other pack member then vies for that alpha position and they all start breeding. In other words, by hunting them, you increase their population. It's what I learned in South Dakota at a coyote talk by one of the rangers after they researched the subject thoroughly. If you think that's wrong, take it up with them. It was at Custer State Park.
"There are many factors involved such as drought and know nothing do-gooders like you who enable the coyote to wipe out deer populations."
No shit, Sherlock, first you say it's coyotes, now you admit there is drought and other factors. I already knew that!
Wanting healthy popualtions of all wildlife doesn't make one a do-gooder. I could say the same about the game wardens there that shoot the coyotes in an effort to save the deer. Are they not "do-gooders" too, in their effort to save a different species?
"We have areas down here where deer thrived but do not exist anymore because of the coyote"
and because of the drought and other factors....
If you have too many deer there then maybe you should take it up with the state game and fish department so they can increase the number of tags they issue or extend the hunting season. It's called population control. We are over run with coyotes here in this state because not enough people hunt them, pure and simple. And then when somebody comes up with an idea about a hunting contest that the game commision backs and says is a good idea some doo-gooder probably from Michigan attempts to stop the hunt with protests and law suits and bad publicity.

If you need more coyotes you are welcome to some of ours!

Your theory that coyotes will not breed once the bitch comes into heat because of the alpha male is stupid. I guarantee you every single dog that comes into heat is getting bred by another coyote and is going to produce a litter of deer killers.

Not on my watch!
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#9117 Feb 28, 2013
<quoted text>
"You do-gooders always do more damage to nature than you realize."
What makes me a do-gooder in your opinion?
How have I done damage to nature by being against open season of coyotes?
You complain about deer coming to your feeders, the same feeders you put out so the deer can come to them? REALLY?
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#9118 Feb 28, 2013
<quoted text>
"You have trained those deer to arrive at your feeders and eat the brush around your property also. Yes YOU TRAINED them."
The deer were here before I ever put a bird feeder out. They are not trained by me. The deer also eat the understory in places where there are no bird feeders or people. We also have millions of acres of forest, BTW. Federal, state land and private property.
That being the case, why doesn't OUR coyote population explode like yours has? There certainly isn't a lack of fawns to eat!
Maybe you get more rain and snow then we do so your vegetation is different. Why do you not have any Desert Mule Deer in Michigan? That is what we have and there are getting to be fewer and fewer of them here. Maybe your precious coyote KILLED all of the DESERT MULE DEER in Michigam!

SE Michigan

#9119 Feb 28, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>I do not care about birds as much as I do about deer and elk. Birds can adapt, they can build nests in other places and they can fly. A fawn or a calf has to lay in tall grass and hope a coyote doesn't find it for lunch until it gets strong enough to run off. During severe drought periods like the one we are currently in the grass does not get tall enough to conceal fawns properly, hence it makes it easier for coyotes to kill them. During extreme drought years when water is scarce a doe will absorb her fetus in order to survive, All factors combined the deer are going extinct here and the coyote has a lare role in that. I do not care what they teach you about New Mexico in Michigan, I live here. Now I am going to go kill me at least 3 coyotes today!!!
"I do not care about birds as much as I do about deer and elk."
Sweet. That "not-caring about certain species" attitude is what does damage to healthy ecosystems. You are the one doing damage to nature in your area; not me.

"Birds can adapt, they can build nests in other places and they can fly."
This statement shows the lack of education you possess about birds and nature in general. It would be akin to me saying, "Deer can adapt or they can go soemwhere else."

Birds, just like deer, have a certain niche they fill. Each is different. They NEED certain types of habitats in which to build their nests. They only have a certain number of days in which to successfully reproduce. They NEED certain types of foods. They cannot "just fly away" and leave their young exposed to predators. They cannot "just fly away" and find new territory because they will be chased away or even killed by the respective male on that new territory.

I think we could both learn something from each other, eh?

SE Michigan

#9120 Feb 28, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>If you have too many deer there then maybe you should take it up with the state game and fish department so they can increase the number of tags they issue or extend the hunting season. It's called population control. We are over run with coyotes here in this state because not enough people hunt them, pure and simple. And then when somebody comes up with an idea about a hunting contest that the game commision backs and says is a good idea some doo-gooder probably from Michigan attempts to stop the hunt with protests and law suits and bad publicity.
If you need more coyotes you are welcome to some of ours!
Your theory that coyotes will not breed once the bitch comes into heat because of the alpha male is stupid. I guarantee you every single dog that comes into heat is getting bred by another coyote and is going to produce a litter of deer killers.
Not on my watch!
"Your theory that coyotes will not breed once the bitch comes into heat because of the alpha male is stupid."
WHEN did I say THAT?!!?!!!!!?
Reread what I actually said and keep in mind, it isn't MY theory. It's what the ranger taught us at Custer State Park after THEY researched it! Take it up with them.

SE Michigan

#9121 Feb 28, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>You complain about deer coming to your feeders, the same feeders you put out so the deer can come to them? REALLY?
I put seed out for BIRDS! And I'm not complaining. Just stating a fact. The fact is we don't kill coyotes, and they do not proliferate like they appear to do there according to you.

SE Michigan

#9122 Feb 28, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>Maybe you get more rain and snow then we do so your vegetation is different. Why do you not have any Desert Mule Deer in Michigan? That is what we have and there are getting to be fewer and fewer of them here. Maybe your precious coyote KILLED all of the DESERT MULE DEER in Michigam!
Maybe the drought will help wipe out the coyote in Mew Nexico too. LMAO.

Maybe you need more NATIVE LANDSCAPING around your home! Fawns can't hide in mowed lawn!
hunter

Jonesboro, AR

#9123 Feb 28, 2013
a lot of birds fall from the sky that time of year
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#9124 Feb 28, 2013
<quoted text>
"I do not care about birds as much as I do about deer and elk."
Sweet. That "not-caring about certain species" attitude is what does damage to healthy ecosystems. You are the one doing damage to nature in your area; not me.
"Birds can adapt, they can build nests in other places and they can fly."
This statement shows the lack of education you possess about birds and nature in general. It would be akin to me saying, "Deer can adapt or they can go soemwhere else."
Birds, just like deer, have a certain niche they fill. Each is different. They NEED certain types of habitats in which to build their nests. They only have a certain number of days in which to successfully reproduce. They NEED certain types of foods. They cannot "just fly away" and leave their young exposed to predators. They cannot "just fly away" and find new territory because they will be chased away or even killed by the respective male on that new territory.
I think we could both learn something from each other, eh?
Why do you feed birds? Are you not drawing them away from their natural habitat? Do they not want to congregate close to where the free food is. Do they not build nests in and around your house or cabin? Does this not attract other animals to come and get a free bird meal also? Sounds to me like you might be doing more harm to birds than you are doing good.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#9125 Feb 28, 2013
<quoted text>
"Your theory that coyotes will not breed once the bitch comes into heat because of the alpha male is stupid."
Reread what I actually said and keep in mind, it isn't MY theory. It's what the ranger taught us at Custer State Park after THEY researched it! Take it up with them.
So what did you mean by posting that Alpha coyote garbage? It seems you want me to think that the alpha mmale won't breed and reproduce pups when a female comes into heat. Interesting point of view and probably works on somebody who knows nothing about animals or the outdoors!
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#9126 Feb 28, 2013
<quoted text>
Maybe the drought will help wipe out the coyote in Mew Nexico too. LMAO.
Maybe you need more NATIVE LANDSCAPING around your home! Fawns can't hide in mowed lawn!
I am surrounded by the Lincoln National Forest. That is over ONE MILLION ACRES of unmowed lawn! Have you ever seen a forest?
Churmudgeon

Horseshoe Bend, AR

#9127 Feb 28, 2013
<quoted text>
You stated that in a previous post. a Theory isnt a fact. The fact is every female that comes in heat is very likely to get bred. Then that female and her mate is the start of a new pack. The fact is coyotes & dogs can do a lot of damage in a very short time.I have almost a 100 female barbado ewe sheep. they have an average of two lambs each. The initial investment was $10,000 and I have another in $4000 in feed trucking & vetenery supplies + my time & labor and investment in barns & fence. now my pasture fence is 39 inch woven wire with a strand of barb at the top. My sheep are now in a barn & lot with a 6 foot high chain link fence. cototes could easily jump that fence . coyotes & dogs both could easily dig under. Now if dogs or coyotes got in there they wouldnt be content to kill just one animal and eat it. No they would kill and keep killing until they became pooped out tired. then when rested up they would kill more until not a live animal remained. Ive seen the aftermath of such attacks. Very soon I must turn those animals out on the pasture. So the Lama,s and I must be vigilant & keep constant watch. Ill do my best to kill every free roaming dog or feral coyote that comes on my land because its a potential threat to my livestock & livleyhood. I have to assume that its about to harrass my livestock. I cant afford not to. I simply dont have the luxury to try and hold judgment and just identify & prosecute and sentence the culprits after they have destroyed thousands of dollars worth of livestock. I could easily suffer a $20,000 loss in just one attack. The only good free roaming dog or coyote is a dead one. Ill keep my body grip traps set because they can be their 24 X 7 and they work cheap. The fact is that as long as I pay the Taxes its my right to decide what is allowed to roam on my land. Tresspassers no matter what are not welcome.

SE Michigan

#9128 Feb 28, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you feed birds? Are you not drawing them away from their natural habitat? Do they not want to congregate close to where the free food is. Do they not build nests in and around your house or cabin? Does this not attract other animals to come and get a free bird meal also? Sounds to me like you might be doing more harm to birds than you are doing good.
I don't feed birds because I do want to do something good for them. I feed them because I enjoy watching them up close.(Maybe a selfish reason, I admit) I have well thought of exactly what you stated here.

But I find that birds don't generally nest close to the food. It drives me nuts when I see people build bird houses with a feeder attached to it!!

I feed birds in the front yard. I have bird houses in the back yard. My back yard has fledged nearly 90 House Wrens in the past ten years or so.

On the other hand, feeding the birds does in way help them have a reliable food source when much of their previous sources have been mowed down, sprayed with pesticides or is covered with snow and ice.

In a way I'm hurting. In a way I'm helping. I think it all evens out in the end.

I do plan on scaling the feeding way back though. It's getting too damn expensive.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pocahontas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
stink box 15 min fatchick 1
I use protection 22 min obsolete 3
Chicken Plant 3 hr Guest 7
Work needed for Christmas 3 hr Beatle 29
Funera Homes 6 hr Truth 7
Daycare 7 hr Guest 5
I must be obsolete 10 hr Just Me 9
Pocahontas Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web