More than 1,000 dead birds fall from sky in Ark

Jan 2, 2011 Full story: news.yahoo.com 10,152

BEEBE, Ark. Wildlife officials are trying to determine what caused more than 1,000 blackbirds to die and fall from the sky over an Arkansas town.

The Arkansas Game and Fish Commission said Saturday that it began receiving reports about the dead birds about 11:30 p.m. the previous night. The birds fell over a 1-mile area of Beebe, and an aerial survey indicated that no other dead birds were found outside of that area. Full Story

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

#9089 Feb 26, 2013
Churmudgeon wrote:
Drizzly cold rainy day today. It makes all my joints ache. I seen a cardinal sitting in the tree by the house. It wasnt looking too happy. Maybe he has achy joints too? Any way at least we are having better weather than the Texas & Oklahoma panhandle.Their having record snow. Im ready for green up Im running low of hay. If I had not sold over half of my cattle I would already be out of hay. I culled all the old cows and just kept the best ones.
It's currently snowing cats, dogs, coyotes and blackbirds. Started around 2:00 as sleet. They're calling for 8-12 inches here tonight. I was gone all day, so I didn't see what kinds of clues the birds were giving as to what's coming. I'm just hoping to get back to the cabin this weekend and continue my hunt for the little owl. I almost had him in my sights Saturday night while he was calling, until some snowmobilers came by and scared him.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#9090 Feb 26, 2013
Raptor in Michigan wrote:
<quoted text>
I bet you are correct.
I will take a wild guess with some of the clues you've given. You have an eight year old. You claim to be "retired" (from the military or some other government job, I presume.) I come to this conclusion by your statement that you have been around the world and "keeping us safe." I would put your age somewhere between 41 and 46. Since you remember shows like Bonanza, I would tend to lean towards the higher number of 46. Maybe 45.
But I just may be a little older and wiser.:)
47 next month. I say you are 51 and not a day older..
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#9091 Feb 26, 2013
<quoted text>
It's currently snowing cats, dogs, coyotes and blackbirds. Started around 2:00 as sleet. They're calling for 8-12 inches here tonight. I was gone all day, so I didn't see what kinds of clues the birds were giving as to what's coming. I'm just hoping to get back to the cabin this weekend and continue my hunt for the little owl. I almost had him in my sights Saturday night while he was calling, until some snowmobilers came by and scared him.
I took the trash this afternoon and then did some things around the house because it was like a nice spring day and now all of a sudden the wind is blowing like hell and the temperature has dropped and something fierce is blowing in from the north. I hope it's rain.

SE Michigan

#9092 Feb 26, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>47 next month. I say you are 51 and not a day older..
I'd say I was purty darn close to your age! I should have been a detective.
You are correct again in that I am not older than 51.:)

SE Michigan

#9093 Feb 26, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>I took the trash this afternoon and then did some things around the house because it was like a nice spring day and now all of a sudden the wind is blowing like hell and the temperature has dropped and something fierce is blowing in from the north. I hope it's rain.
Our current weather is blowing in from the south....and it's totally cool! Bring on the snow! I ALWAYS welcome whatever Mother Nature has in store!(unless it's really dangerous like high winds or a tornado). I've been known to don my waterproof apparel and head to the nature center in pouring down rain simply to enjoy a nice, peaceful walk while the rest of the human race waits it out indoors.

Lately, I've spent the weekends sitting outside in the brutal cold with the hopes of capturing my Ruffed Grouse on digital media.(I'm so glad I don't have to say "film" anymore!) BTW, have you seen my grouse photos yet? I have been enjoying the snow and cold immensely this year. I don't look forward to the end of winter. I'm having too much fun. But I am getting a little excited about the tropical birds returning. Warblers will start arriving along the Gulf Coast in just a few weeks. The first Blackbirds will be here by next week. I just hope this summer isn't as hot and humid as last summer.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#9094 Feb 27, 2013
<quoted text>
Our current weather is blowing in from the south....and it's totally cool! Bring on the snow! I ALWAYS welcome whatever Mother Nature has in store!(unless it's really dangerous like high winds or a tornado). I've been known to don my waterproof apparel and head to the nature center in pouring down rain simply to enjoy a nice, peaceful walk while the rest of the human race waits it out indoors.
Lately, I've spent the weekends sitting outside in the brutal cold with the hopes of capturing my Ruffed Grouse on digital media.(I'm so glad I don't have to say "film" anymore!) BTW, have you seen my grouse photos yet? I have been enjoying the snow and cold immensely this year. I don't look forward to the end of winter. I'm having too much fun. But I am getting a little excited about the tropical birds returning. Warblers will start arriving along the Gulf Coast in just a few weeks. The first Blackbirds will be here by next week. I just hope this summer isn't as hot and humid as last summer.
It's currently 41 and clear here. No wind yet. High today is supposed to be 51, looks like a good day to look for arrow heads. Or maybe hunt coyotes, NM yesterday shot down that silly bill that wouldn't allow coyote hunting contests anymore.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#9095 Feb 27, 2013
<quoted text>
Where are those pictures of that grouse of yours?

SE Michigan

#9096 Feb 27, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>Where are those pictures of that grouse of yours?
Check my website.

SE Michigan

#9097 Feb 27, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>It's currently 41 and clear here. No wind yet. High today is supposed to be 51, looks like a good day to look for arrow heads. Or maybe hunt coyotes, NM yesterday shot down that silly bill that wouldn't allow coyote hunting contests anymore.
If people don't eat coyotes, there's no reason to hunt them. Hunting shouldn't be a competition. It should be for sustainence.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#9098 Feb 27, 2013
<quoted text>
Check my website.
What website?
Churmudgeon

Horseshoe Bend, AR

#9099 Feb 27, 2013
<quoted text>
If people don't eat coyotes, there's no reason to hunt them. Hunting shouldn't be a competition. It should be for sustainence.
I kill coyotes because of the harm they do to the animals I do eat. A pack of coyotes can and do kill domestic livestock & wildlife. Ive either killed or driven coyotes from my area. I dont hear them or see their tracks. Good riddance.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#9100 Feb 27, 2013
<quoted text>
Tell that to all the deer here who have been killed by coyotes. I suppose you are for the eating of house cats also then!

SE Michigan

#9101 Feb 27, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>What website?
LMAO

SE Michigan

#9102 Feb 27, 2013
Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> I kill coyotes because of the harm they do to the animals I do eat. A pack of coyotes can and do kill domestic livestock & wildlife. Ive either killed or driven coyotes from my area. I dont hear them or see their tracks. Good riddance.
I have stated in the past that I support defending your animals from coyotes. I would defend my dogs in same manner. The only difference is I would not seek out coyotes to kill who aren't a threat and may never pose a threat.

SE Michigan

#9103 Feb 27, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>Tell that to all the deer here who have been killed by coyotes. I suppose you are for the eating of house cats also then!
Why do you pretend to show sympathy for the deer who are killed by coyotes, but not to the deer that are killed by you?
Why would I want to eat someones house cat?
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#9104 Feb 27, 2013
<quoted text>
I have stated in the past that I support defending your animals from coyotes. I would defend my dogs in same manner. The only difference is I would not seek out coyotes to kill who aren't a threat and may never pose a threat.
Coyotes are a threat to the deer and elk populations. Bring your grouse to my house and a coyote would kill it within 2 days. How would that make you feel?
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#9105 Feb 27, 2013
<quoted text>
Why do you pretend to show sympathy for the deer who are killed by coyotes, but not to the deer that are killed by you?
Why would I want to eat someones house cat?
Too many deer are being killed by coyotes. I only kill deer who have matured, who have at least one forked antler. My family and friends eat those mature deer. We are not killing baby deer. There are coyotes everywhere you turn down here, even in town. Why do you pretend that you are an outdoors person who is concerned with the enviornment and all the animals yet you don't mind if the deer go extinct?
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#9106 Feb 27, 2013
I bet if coyotes were wiping out birds you would be screaming bloody murder!

SE Michigan

#9107 Feb 27, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>Coyotes are a threat to the deer and elk populations. Bring your grouse to my house and a coyote would kill it within 2 days. How would that make you feel?
My grouse lives in coyote territory in Northern MI. It's what the locals call "God's Country" because of how unspoiled it is up there. I would not be a happy camper if a coyote killed my grouse, but I would recognize the fact that in nature that stuff happens. As long as it's not my neighbors well-fed, non-native cat or dog that gets it, I'm good with that.

I don't believe for a minute that coyotes threaten the population of deer any more than human deer hunters do. Why do you think only humans should be able to hunt deer?

SE Michigan

#9108 Feb 27, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>Too many deer are being killed by coyotes. I only kill deer who have matured, who have at least one forked antler. My family and friends eat those mature deer. We are not killing baby deer. There are coyotes everywhere you turn down here, even in town. Why do you pretend that you are an outdoors person who is concerned with the enviornment and all the animals yet you don't mind if the deer go extinct?
Deer are nowhere near going extinct. I believe in managing and maintaining healthy populations of them, as well as all species.

Deer chomp on the understory vegetation that birds and small mammals need for nesting, food and shelter. Around here deer have contributed to significant declines in bird populations. In some of our parks, there is virtually NO undergrowth left, except in areas that have been fenced off to exclude deer.

When I fill the feeders up north the deer quickly arrive....a whole herd of them! Something is wrong with the picture when the deer outnumber some of the native birds.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pocahontas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Is there such a thing as a Christian demarcate ? (Feb '12) 23 min Independent 727
Bro Eric Moffet 42 min member 1
tom graham (Jun '12) 44 min trey graham 6
Dollins 57 min really 7
stink box 8 hr guest 2
I use protection 8 hr obsolete 3
Chicken Plant 11 hr Guest 7
Pocahontas Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Pocahontas People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Pocahontas News, Events & Info