More than 1,000 dead birds fall from sky in Ark

Jan 2, 2011 | Posted by: Inisa Love | Full story: news.yahoo.com

BEEBE, Ark. Wildlife officials are trying to determine what caused more than 1,000 blackbirds to die and fall from the sky over an Arkansas town.

The Arkansas Game and Fish Commission said Saturday that it began receiving reports about the dead birds about 11:30 p.m. the previous night. The birds fell over a 1-mile area of Beebe, and an aerial survey indicated that no other dead birds were found outside of that area.

Comments (Page 425)

Showing posts 8,481 - 8,500 of9,715
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

Raptor in Michigan wrote:
<quoted text>
When the land masses seperated, the animals .........oh, never mind.
So then all animals were native to this land mass at one time or can you prove other wise you non-native species yourself! LOL!
Churmudgeon

Ravenden Springs, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

<quoted text>
Your storm has arrived here this morning in the form of a steady snowfall. They are calling for 2-3 inches.
I filled all my birdfeeders, though they'd be fine with just a few inches of snow. It's mostly when ice covers their food that they have a hard time and our help benefits them.
I don't worry about the hawks taking a few birds. They have to eat too. The hawks will get songbirds whether I feed them or not. A tree full of berries or a mud puddle that they congregate and bathe in could make it just as easy for a hawk. I do provide cover and a brush pile for them to escape into quickly. Some make it; some don't. More often than not, the hawk flies away empty taloned.
When we where feeding the birds the hawks never hunted. they just staked out our feeders full time. They killed lots of cardinals. the number of birds that congreated at our feeders was much greater than those who gather around a mud puddle or tree full of berries( you already knew that anyhow) and at first there where just two then the sparrow hawk numbers increased I seen seven oneday sitting around patiently waiting for a easy meal. Thats when we stopped feeding the winter birds. We still feed the humming birds. Also those small sparrow hawks attracted larger hawks. and the larger Hawks want to kill my pigeons & chickens. I fasten up my poultry at nite. There are owls that hunt rats & mice I dont mind the owls because my poultry are safe from them.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

<quoted text>
Your storm has arrived here this morning in the form of a steady snowfall. They are calling for 2-3 inches.
I filled all my birdfeeders, though they'd be fine with just a few inches of snow. It's mostly when ice covers their food that they have a hard time and our help benefits them.
I don't worry about the hawks taking a few birds. They have to eat too. The hawks will get songbirds whether I feed them or not. A tree full of berries or a mud puddle that they congregate and bathe in could make it just as easy for a hawk. I do provide cover and a brush pile for them to escape into quickly. Some make it; some don't. More often than not, the hawk flies away empty taloned.
If you trim that over gown yard of yours in areas you will attract more wildlife.

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>So then all animals were native to this land mass at one time or can you prove other wise you non-native species yourself! LOL!
I can't prove non-nativeness. But nativeness can be proven by fossils. Show me an ancient feral cat skeleton that was found on this continent and there will be your proof.

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text>When we where feeding the birds the hawks never hunted. they just staked out our feeders full time. They killed lots of cardinals. the number of birds that congreated at our feeders was much greater than those who gather around a mud puddle or tree full of berries( you already knew that anyhow) and at first there where just two then the sparrow hawk numbers increased I seen seven oneday sitting around patiently waiting for a easy meal. Thats when we stopped feeding the winter birds. We still feed the humming birds. Also those small sparrow hawks attracted larger hawks. and the larger Hawks want to kill my pigeons & chickens. I fasten up my poultry at nite. There are owls that hunt rats & mice I dont mind the owls because my poultry are safe from them.
"When we where feeding the birds the hawks never hunted. they just staked out our feeders full time.'
The same can be said for alot of hunters, including the human kind who sit over a bait pile. When one needs to eat, I guess acquiring food becomes more important than the manner in which it is acquired.

If you saw seven hawks in one day, that doesn't mean they were different ones. It could have been the same bird coming and going.

Of course more birds will congregate at the feeders, but that doesn't mean more birds are killed by hawks. It only means you see it more.

I can't wait to start my owl hunt this weekend.

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>If you trim that over gown yard of yours in areas you will attract more wildlife.
So says the expert.....
How many bird species have you had in your yard? What's that you got; three acres? I have a half acre and I've positively identified ____ species.
Take a wild guess.
Churmudgeon

Ravenden Springs, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
"When we where feeding the birds the hawks never hunted. they just staked out our feeders full time.'
The same can be said for alot of hunters, including the human kind who sit over a bait pile. When one needs to eat, I guess acquiring food becomes more important than the manner in which it is acquired.
If you saw seven hawks in one day, that doesn't mean they were different ones. It could have been the same bird coming and going.
Of course more birds will congregate at the feeders, but that doesn't mean more birds are killed by hawks. It only means you see it more.
I can't wait to start my owl hunt this weekend.
Today I seen a sparrow hawk on the power lines along the highway. And when we where feeding the birds we seen seven sparrow hawk,s all at the same time waiting over the bird feeder Those sparrow hawks where even squabbling among themselves for the prime hunting territory. We seen lots of the red & brownish grey feathers from the cardinals the sparrow hawks killed. It got to where we hardly ever seen a cardinal. Maybe in your local the massacre at feeders dont happen. But birds & hawks winter over in my area. And I hunt deer over a bait feeder. Im not a sportsman Im a meat hunter. I want the meat I only kill young deer less than a year old. I also shoot squrril at my deer feeder. Also I kill crows there too. I dont eat the crows I just hang them on the fence.
milk

Memphis, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

Please
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

<quoted text>
So says the expert.....
How many bird species have you had in your yard? What's that you got; three acres? I have a half acre and I've positively identified ____ species.
Take a wild guess.
Let's see just off the top of my head I have had in my yard a bobcat, oryx, cougar, deer, coyote, quail, dove, humming bird, jack rabbit, cotton tail, turtle, frogs, lizards, bugs, dogs, cats, Horned toads, 5 different types of snakes, chickens, pigs, cow, horse, sheep, goat, chinchila, mice, rat, killdeer, hawk, eagle, crow, raven, grakel, sparrow, red headed sparrow, lot's of different colored birds, and an illegal alien, oh I give up these are just a few things that have touched my soil over the past 15 years.

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> Today I seen a sparrow hawk on the power lines along the highway. And when we where feeding the birds we seen seven sparrow hawk,s all at the same time waiting over the bird feeder Those sparrow hawks where even squabbling among themselves for the prime hunting territory. We seen lots of the red & brownish grey feathers from the cardinals the sparrow hawks killed. It got to where we hardly ever seen a cardinal. Maybe in your local the massacre at feeders dont happen. But birds & hawks winter over in my area. And I hunt deer over a bait feeder. Im not a sportsman Im a meat hunter. I want the meat I only kill young deer less than a year old. I also shoot squrril at my deer feeder. Also I kill crows there too. I dont eat the crows I just hang them on the fence.
I have tons of birds and hawks that winter in my area too. I get some different species then what you get, but the predator/prey relationship is alive and well here. Whether they are at the feeders or not, they will still be hunted and eaten. At least the songbirds have an advantage of a reliable food source during inclement weather, when they might otherwise perish.

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>Let's see just off the top of my head I have had in my yard a bobcat, oryx, cougar, deer, coyote, quail, dove, humming bird, jack rabbit, cotton tail, turtle, frogs, lizards, bugs, dogs, cats, Horned toads, 5 different types of snakes, chickens, pigs, cow, horse, sheep, goat, chinchila, mice, rat, killdeer, hawk, eagle, crow, raven, grakel, sparrow, red headed sparrow, lot's of different colored birds, and an illegal alien, oh I give up these are just a few things that have touched my soil over the past 15 years.
I was talking about species that are alive.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

<quoted text>
I was talking about species that are alive.
I am a hunting species!

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2013

Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> Today I seen a sparrow hawk on the power lines along the highway. And when we where feeding the birds we seen seven sparrow hawk,s all at the same time waiting over the bird feeder Those sparrow hawks where even squabbling among themselves for the prime hunting territory. We seen lots of the red & brownish grey feathers from the cardinals the sparrow hawks killed. It got to where we hardly ever seen a cardinal. Maybe in your local the massacre at feeders dont happen. But birds & hawks winter over in my area. And I hunt deer over a bait feeder. Im not a sportsman Im a meat hunter. I want the meat I only kill young deer less than a year old. I also shoot squrril at my deer feeder. Also I kill crows there too. I dont eat the crows I just hang them on the fence.
"I only kill young deer less than a year old."
Why kill young deer, who never even had a chance to live, when there are plenty of older ones to choose from?

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2013

WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>I am a hunting species!
"I am a hunting species..........who likely couldn't even count up to the number of bird species you've counted in your beautiful MI wildlife sanctuary."
KMEM

Donetsk, Ukraine

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2013

Judged:

You don't have to let your yard become a jungle to attract wildlife. Just a few select plantings of species useful to the animals you want to attract does the trick. For example you could plant radishes for deer. They like the greens. Hazlenuts attract several small mammals such as woodchuck, rabbit and squirrel, as well as turkey. Buttonbush, if you have a wet area, brings in hummingbirds in the early summer months and ducks in the fall and winter.Marijuana will assure you plenty of stoners to watch and enjoy. And finally, a money tree will bring in the hoes and bimbos.
Churmudgeon

Pocahontas, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
"I only kill young deer less than a year old."
Why kill young deer, who never even had a chance to live, when there are plenty of older ones to choose from?
Young deer are tender & tasty. Who wants to try and chew some old tough meat from a old buck deer. The meat folks purchase in the supermarket mostly is from young animals.The hambuger might be from a old cow. but the chicken and pork comes fron very young animals. Do you know how old a pig lives? the answer is it lives until it weighs 230 pounds. Most pigs gets to 230 pounds in six months.
roy

Bixby, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2013

More birds
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2013

<quoted text>
"I am a hunting species..........who likely couldn't even count up to the number of bird species you've counted in your beautiful MI wildlife sanctuary."
I really don't care about birds even though I have 4 yellow naped amazons. Birds just are not my thing. You probably would have a good time just sitting on my back porch looking at all the birds we get. We get new species in just about every year.

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2013

Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> Young deer are tender & tasty. Who wants to try and chew some old tough meat from a old buck deer. The meat folks purchase in the supermarket mostly is from young animals.The hambuger might be from a old cow. but the chicken and pork comes fron very young animals. Do you know how old a pig lives? the answer is it lives until it weighs 230 pounds. Most pigs gets to 230 pounds in six months.
I've seen pigs within the human race weigh much less than that.

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2013

WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>I really don't care about birds even though I have 4 yellow naped amazons. Birds just are not my thing. You probably would have a good time just sitting on my back porch looking at all the birds we get. We get new species in just about every year.
This comes as no surprise. After all, you're still young.

What's funny is this topic was brought up recently by a coworker. She had mentioned to her husband that as they get older she had feared becoming some old couple that watches birds for fun. Her fear had become a reality for the both of them. LOL. And she admits they are having the time of their life with their new hobby! She always thought birds were the same color and there were only a few kinds.....until she got a (good) pair of binoculars.

I'm SOOO glad I started at a young age. I've had some great birding adventures over the years. I've been to some unheard of, but unique, out of the way places in my quest for new species. Places the average tourist will never see.

Take California Gulch in AZ. With directions like, "This is a rough, rocky road with many steep dips and boulders making travel very slow. Make sure you are driving a high clearance vehicle with a full gas tank and bring plenty of water and a compass. From Interstate Blah blah, 2 tenths of a mile after mile marker 123, turn left onto the two track. Zero your speedometer here. Go 8 tenths of a mile and turn right at the large boulder. There will be a fork in the road. Take the fork to the right for 6 tenths of a mile...... About 30 feet from the road on the right hand side of your vehicle, there is a large clump of Prickly Pear Cactus. Turn left onto the next two track at this cactus and follow the road for another 1 1/2 miles. You will be traveling downhill..... Cross the dry creek bed at the bottom of the ravine and continue uphill for 1/2 mile where you can park on the patch of dirt on the right.(Do not leave any valuables in the vehicle in this area!) Climb on foot up the hill to the east until you have a view into the valley below. Looking towards the north slope of the next hill, there are clumps of switch grass and some Saguaro. The Five-striped Sparrow can be seen singing early in the morning from any elevated perches near the grasses.....Make sure you get out of this area by mid-morning before the sun gets too hot. It can quickly reach 100+ degrees here and there is extreme fire danger in dry weather....This is the only place in the United States to see the Five-striped Sparrow...."

The border patrol thought we were nuts for going in there, but we did! Damn, I wish we would have seen that bird! Oh well, next time.

But you're right, I would enjoy sitting on your back porch watching the birds in your yard. I've been lots of cool places looking for new birds, as well as birds I've already seen but want to see again. Lately I find I'm just as happy seeing the common ones from convenient places.

I know some hunters who have taken to birding as well. Yes, they do both! Maybe not to the extent I do, but it's just another excuse they use to get outdoors and it goes all year long. As you age, you do have something to look forward to.:)

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 8,481 - 8,500 of9,715
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

18 Users are viewing the Pocahontas Forum right now

Search the Pocahontas Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 6 hr Faulkner County Dingbat 27,902
pizza hut must be desperate 8 hr guest 2
Medessia Tunstall 19 hr just wondering 1
Who's hiring? 20 hr cool dude 2
who the biggest hole 20 hr cool dude 1
anyone know kelly riggs (Dec '12) 20 hr cool dude 21
Gerald Walker For Mayor Sat guest 22
•••
•••