More than 1,000 dead birds fall from sky in Ark

Jan 2, 2011 Full story: news.yahoo.com 9,995

BEEBE, Ark. Wildlife officials are trying to determine what caused more than 1,000 blackbirds to die and fall from the sky over an Arkansas town.

The Arkansas Game and Fish Commission said Saturday that it began receiving reports about the dead birds about 11:30 p.m. the previous night. The birds fell over a 1-mile area of Beebe, and an aerial survey indicated that no other dead birds were found outside of that area. Full Story
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#8903 Feb 12, 2013
Raptor in Michigan wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually I was defending you. Your kid SHOULD be playing in the snow. Who cares what he's wearing! And alot of people feed the birds more in cold snowy weather.
So is it all melted now?
All melted here in the desert. Snow still on the Mountains. I am feeding those birds old cat food. Ironic isn't it..
Churmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

#8904 Feb 12, 2013
<quoted text>
Come on Churm, quit touting this BS. It was fireworks at midnight on New Years Eve that scared them from their roost. They could not see where they were flying and hit stuff including the ground. That's all there is to it. It's not some mystery or government testing chemicals.
Did fireworks kill the drum fish on the arkansas river that died at the same time?

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

#8905 Feb 12, 2013
Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> Did fireworks kill the drum fish on the arkansas river that died at the same time?
I don't know much about fish, so I couldn't say what killed them. But fish have died off in large numbers all over the world for many different reasons. How far away from the fireworks were the fish? Is it possible that if the banging was loud enough that it too was responsible for the fish die-off?

Bats will die from exploded lungs if they fly close to a wind turbine. Could it be the same type of secondary effect from fireworks?

SE Michigan

#8906 Feb 12, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>All melted here in the desert. Snow still on the Mountains. I am feeding those birds old cat food. Ironic isn't it..
I always have cat food around. It's great when I get a baby bird I need to feed, or a cat I need to trap.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#8907 Feb 12, 2013
<quoted text>
I always have cat food around. It's great when I get a baby bird I need to feed, or a cat I need to trap.
I like to feed the cats and trap the birds!

SE Michigan

#8908 Feb 13, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>I like to feed the cats and trap the birds!
Got my grouse!
http://www.naturecardsforyou.com/Documents/ru...
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#8909 Feb 13, 2013
I see those yearly on my elk hunts. They generally wait until you are right on them to scatter. They scare the hell out of you.

SE Michigan

#8910 Feb 13, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>I see those yearly on my elk hunts. They generally wait until you are right on them to scatter. They scare the hell out of you.
LOL. Yes, they do! Now that I'm learning more about his habits, I'm getting better at locating him and knowing just how close I can get before he flushes. Can't wait to go back up there this weekend!
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#8911 Feb 13, 2013
<quoted text>
LOL. Yes, they do! Now that I'm learning more about his habits, I'm getting better at locating him and knowing just how close I can get before he flushes. Can't wait to go back up there this weekend!
How many do you have?

SE Michigan

#8912 Feb 13, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>How many do you have?
Only seen one hanging out by the house. But last year when I got lost in the woods I kicked up two families. Last week he was fanning his tail as he ran around the yard. Maybe he was courting somebody?
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#8913 Feb 13, 2013
<quoted text>
Only seen one hanging out by the house. But last year when I got lost in the woods I kicked up two families. Last week he was fanning his tail as he ran around the yard. Maybe he was courting somebody?
Like I stated earlier I see them every year on our elk hunts. I grew up in a place that had pheasant everywhere. I love hunting those birds on those cold December mornings. Now that is a pretty bird..
Churmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

#8914 Feb 13, 2013
Ive never seen a grouse in Arkansas. We have a fair amount of turkey and a scarce few BobWhite quail. Deer are more than plentiful.There was a dead flattened cat in the road a red tailed hawk was eating it. It flew away with the run over cat in its talons when my vehicle got close.

SE Michigan

#8915 Feb 13, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>Like I stated earlier I see them every year on our elk hunts. I grew up in a place that had pheasant everywhere. I love hunting those birds on those cold December mornings. Now that is a pretty bird..
On the rare occasion when the traffic clears,(I live next to a busy street) I can hear a pheasant in the neighborhood. I am surrounded by farms, woods and fields, so there is an abundance of wildlife. Yesterday the deer were all in the field across the street from my house when I went to breakfast. Turkeys are abundant around here too.

Ruffed grouse are pretty hard to come by though. On a walk in my "sanctuary" last year, I did kick one up while walking in the woods. But as I stated earlier, the neighbors are really freaked out by someone with a camera, so I don't walk down there anymore. I guess according to the city-slickers that moved into that new subdivision, it's unusual for someone to actually like nature and photograph wildlife. Everyone is so f***ing paranoid that they're being stalked or something. Oh well, their loss to not get to know me anyway!:)

I just can't wait to move to a place where I will have lots of room to roam and nobody to sit in judgement of me.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#8916 Feb 13, 2013
Churmudgeon wrote:
Ive never seen a grouse in Arkansas. We have a fair amount of turkey and a scarce few BobWhite quail. Deer are more than plentiful.There was a dead flattened cat in the road a red tailed hawk was eating it. It flew away with the run over cat in its talons when my vehicle got close.
The quail I feed are Gambels. Most all road kill is first hit by those big black ravens before the other birds and coyotes get to it. Those birds get big here.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#8917 Feb 13, 2013
<quoted text>
On the rare occasion when the traffic clears,(I live next to a busy street) I can hear a pheasant in the neighborhood. I am surrounded by farms, woods and fields, so there is an abundance of wildlife. Yesterday the deer were all in the field across the street from my house when I went to breakfast. Turkeys are abundant around here too.
Ruffed grouse are pretty hard to come by though. On a walk in my "sanctuary" last year, I did kick one up while walking in the woods. But as I stated earlier, the neighbors are really freaked out by someone with a camera, so I don't walk down there anymore. I guess according to the city-slickers that moved into that new subdivision, it's unusual for someone to actually like nature and photograph wildlife. Everyone is so f***ing paranoid that they're being stalked or something. Oh well, their loss to not get to know me anyway!:)
I just can't wait to move to a place where I will have lots of room to roam and nobody to sit in judgement of me.
If you are not trespassing you have the right to walk and take pictures of anything you want..

SE Michigan

#8918 Feb 13, 2013
Churmudgeon wrote:
This morning when I woke up and opened the blinds a Coppers Hawk was just flying into the yard. The birds all scattered and the hawk flew away empty taloned after resting in the spruce for a few minutes. I wish he would have gotten one of the doves. I have plenty of 'em!

SE Michigan

#8919 Feb 13, 2013
Churmudgeon wrote:
You likely never will see a Ruffed Grouse in Arkansas. You're too far south. But then anything's possible with birds. This page has a map of their range:
http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Ruffed_Gro...
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#8920 Feb 13, 2013
<quoted text>
You likely never will see a Ruffed Grouse in Arkansas. You're too far south. But then anything's possible with birds. This page has a map of their range:
http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Ruffed_Gro...
Ours is the Dusky (blue) grouse.

SE Michigan

#8921 Feb 13, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>The quail I feed are Gambels. Most all road kill is first hit by those big black ravens before the other birds and coyotes get to it. Those birds get big here.
Gambels are pretty. Keep your eyes peeled for Montezuma as well. It wouldn't be out of the question for your area. I have seen and photographed those in West Texas. Fort Davis State Park is famous for their population of Montezuma Quail. People from all over the world go there for that bird.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#8922 Feb 13, 2013
<quoted text>
Gambels are pretty. Keep your eyes peeled for Montezuma as well. It wouldn't be out of the question for your area. I have seen and photographed those in West Texas. Fort Davis State Park is famous for their population of Montezuma Quail. People from all over the world go there for that bird.
No Montezuma here but plenty of Gambel and tons of White Wing..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pocahontas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mayor race 4 hr May the BEST MAN win 46
City of Pocahontas - the rest of the story 5 hr guest 5
Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 6 hr WARRIOR 29,811
where the peco plant is going (Nov '13) 8 hr Guest 24
Hospital Tax 8 hr guest 60
AR Who do you support for Secretary of State in Ar... (Oct '10) 9 hr KatBrownKohl 226
AR Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in A... (Oct '10) 11 hr KatBrownKohl 381
•••
•••
•••

Pocahontas Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••
•••

Pocahontas People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••