More than 1,000 dead birds fall from sky in Ark

Jan 2, 2011 | Posted by: Inisa Love | Full story: news.yahoo.com

BEEBE, Ark. Wildlife officials are trying to determine what caused more than 1,000 blackbirds to die and fall from the sky over an Arkansas town.

The Arkansas Game and Fish Commission said Saturday that it began receiving reports about the dead birds about 11:30 p.m. the previous night. The birds fell over a 1-mile area of Beebe, and an aerial survey indicated that no other dead birds were found outside of that area.

Comments (Page 415)

Showing posts 8,281 - 8,300 of9,789
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Churmudgeon

Ash Flat, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>A healthy forest needs to be thineed out. All that garbage left on the forest floor creates a fire hazard, if it doesn't burn then the sun doesn't get to the ground to grow grass and plants and during the rainy season the soil does not hold and you have mud slides. The deer and elk can't get in there and forage so it creates havoc for a wide variety of animals. But hell the spotted owl is OK. I guess, I haven't seen one in years. You do-gooders are ruining this country..
I constantly thin my woodlands. If you get too many trees per acre they will grow tall & spindly. thin them out and the trunks get larger. I remove all the lightining & ice storm damaged trees for firewood. We are cutting all the red oak because they have boer damage. Many of the white oak & post oak seem to be resistant? the ozark forest is changing from a predominately oak forest to be more like those in Ohio. maple cherry boxelder gum scyacmore cottonwood ect are taking over where the oak has been weakened. Today was a beautiful day in the Ozarks mid 60,s and sunny. I chainsawed non stop for four hours cutting red oak. Then I planted walnuts that I gathered from the black walnut tree in my yard last fall. I planted a nut beside every oak stump . Ill never harvest a log from those trees but maybe my ancestors will?
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Raptor in Michigan wrote:
<quoted text>
One wants to sell the land, then he sells the land! Not just parts of it and he keeps the valuable parts!
Sellers terms buyers choice.

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>Humans do decide what lives and what dies. I do it all the time. I like lizards more than I like roadrunners, I also feed the quail daily so I like quail more than roadrunners also. The roadrunner is also the state bird of New Mexico. He has my blessing killing them..
I like lizards too. And I like snakes. So they get eaten by roadrunners,(which I also like). So what! Everything eats something!

What did you say your neighbors address was?
Churmudgeon

Ash Flat, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

<quoted text>
One wants to sell the land, then he sells the land! Not just parts of it and he keeps the valuable parts!
Your the one who bought land and let someone else keep the valuable parts. Remember Buyer Beware?

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> If you did not purchase the mineral rights or timber rights to the land upon purchasing? Then you quite simply didnt buy 100% of the land. It dont matter how much you paid you only own what you contracted to purchase. Having a clear deed in fee simple ownership with no restrictions or clauses makes you the sole owner. Sometimes land is subject to life estates or easments. Sometimes the water rights dont go with the land/ You gotta be knowlegable to buy land folks will do all kinds of immoral sneaky things when large amounts of money change hands. Realtors are like lawyers they deserve the bad reputation the have.
Sometimes the lawyers are your friend. I hired one when I bought my land. I didn't get mineral rights, but then the guy I bought it from didn't own them. That part sucked, but there was alot of good qualities in the land and I viewed it as a good investment.
Churmudgeon

Ash Flat, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

<quoted text>
That is wrong. Mineral rights should go with the land- no exceptions. Want to keep the mineral rights, then keep the land and keep paying the taxes on it!
Reciently in central arkansas they started drilling natural gas wells. many landowners gleefully sold the mineral rights to their land. We own some acreage in Faulkner county. We where offered $500 per acre for the mineral rights. We declined the offer. Years ago we paid less than that for the land. There isnt a right or wrong about it. its just another option to make money & provide natural gas to customers.

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>A healthy forest needs to be thineed out. All that garbage left on the forest floor creates a fire hazard, if it doesn't burn then the sun doesn't get to the ground to grow grass and plants and during the rainy season the soil does not hold and you have mud slides. The deer and elk can't get in there and forage so it creates havoc for a wide variety of animals. But hell the spotted owl is OK. I guess, I haven't seen one in years. You do-gooders are ruining this country..
"A healthy forest needs to be thineed out."
If you can't even spell it, how can we trust you to "thin it out" properly?

"All that garbage left on the forest floor creates a fire hazard,"
It depends on how much "garbage" is there. Before man came along, the forests did a good job of managing themselves. And nobody ever went in there and thineed it out either.

"if it doesn't burn then the sun doesn't get to the ground to grow grass and plants"
No shit Sherlock. Did you know that a desert has more life forms residing in it than an old growth forest? Doesn't change the fact that an old growth forest is just another stage of succession with it's own unique life forms that should be conserved. NOTE- that does NOT mean I think no forest should EVER be logged!

"during the rainy season the soil does not hold and you have mud slides."
Michigan does not have mudslides!

"The deer and elk can't get in there and forage so it creates havoc for a wide variety of animals."
Please explain!
Deer and elk EAT the low vegaetaion and THAT creates havoc for a wide variety of animals too!

"But hell the spotted owl is OK."
The Spotted Owl is a mascot. The three-toed, yellow-bellied mute mouse could just as easily been used as the species to protect, but it wasn't chosen. The owl was. And yes, the owl too does have a right to live, just as much as the deer, or ek, or quail, or roadrunner, or mouse, or lizard.

"I guess, I haven't seen one in years."
Good observation!

You do-gooders are ruining this country.
Do NOT call me a "do-gooder!"
I only believe in responsible stewardship. I don't put money above that.
Churmudgeon

Ash Flat, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

<quoted text>
I'm of the opinion you don't know the difference between crazy and educated.
Yep Ive seen plenty of those educated know it all yankees. They think they are so much smarter than us uneducated redneck hillbillies. There so ignorant that they actually believecthat there smarter than everyone else. They are always gonna show us how things should be done. Pieces of paper Diplomas only mean one thing that your good at school. Most overeducated high IQ folks are ate up with the dumbass. I can go to any wild horse and have him broke to lead within 30 minutes. that dont make me smarter than someone else. Its because I have Know How and a natural gift for reading horses. You can learn something from the dumbest retard around if your not too smart to learn from someone else.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

<quoted text>
I like lizards too. And I like snakes. So they get eaten by roadrunners,(which I also like). So what! Everything eats something!
What did you say your neighbors address was?
Maybe he eats roadrunners!

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> I never mow or fertilize my yard. I let the cow, horse,sheep& goats graze it off. I have to fence around the rosebushes shrubs & flowers or they would be grazed too. So what if the spotted owl goes extinct? So sad too bad maybe that owl should have been more adaptable to a changing environment? Afrer the Boer & tree diseases or a raging forest fire from all the dead forest litter kills those not much left(old growth) trees that spotted owl will be shit out of luck anyway.
"I never mow or fertilize my yard. I let the cow, horse,sheep& goats graze it off."
Your yard gets fertilized!!!!

You may not care about an owl, but some do. I guess you pick your species you want protected,(quail, rabbits) and other people pick theirs, huh? I say we conserve ALL species. That doesn't mean we can't do SOME logging and thinning. I'm also for roads as firebreaks too. I still say any tree cutting should only be done after nesting season is over...or before it begins in spring.

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> I never mow or fertilize my yard. I let the cow, horse,sheep& goats graze it off. I have to fence around the rosebushes shrubs & flowers or they would be grazed too. So what if the spotted owl goes extinct? So sad too bad maybe that owl should have been more adaptable to a changing environment? Afrer the Boer & tree diseases or a raging forest fire from all the dead forest litter kills those not much left(old growth) trees that spotted owl will be shit out of luck anyway.
"Afrer the Boer & tree diseases or a raging forest fire from all the dead forest litter kills those not much left(old growth) trees that spotted owl will be shit out of luck anyway."

I personally think the owl would adapt to other forest types. But then I am not the scientist, and after seeing only one Spotted Owl in my life, I certainly am not the expert.

Maybe they shouldn't have picked ANY animal as the "scapegoat" to save old growth. Maybe they just simply should have said, "We need to preserve some old growth forest just because its unique!" Then people wouldn't have a vendetta against the owl.

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>This forest was in good shape at one time. Beautiful rolling Juniper, Pine, Spruce and Aspen, then some do-gooder noiced a stupid owl. This doo-gooder got with his hippie friends and took the forest service to court. Now we have an ugly in need of maintenance forest and the do-gooders left because they did their part of course and they destroyed another forest and a towns economy from the lumber industry.
Try to keep up with the times, okay? They ARE thinning your forest! And they have been for quite some time.
http://www.hcn.org/issues/333/16654

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> I constantly thin my woodlands. If you get too many trees per acre they will grow tall & spindly. thin them out and the trunks get larger. I remove all the lightining & ice storm damaged trees for firewood. We are cutting all the red oak because they have boer damage. Many of the white oak & post oak seem to be resistant? the ozark forest is changing from a predominately oak forest to be more like those in Ohio. maple cherry boxelder gum scyacmore cottonwood ect are taking over where the oak has been weakened. Today was a beautiful day in the Ozarks mid 60,s and sunny. I chainsawed non stop for four hours cutting red oak. Then I planted walnuts that I gathered from the black walnut tree in my yard last fall. I planted a nut beside every oak stump . Ill never harvest a log from those trees but maybe my ancestors will?
Ummm, your "ancestors" are dead, Churm. LOL.

I see you've noticed some change in the trees that grow in your area. Have you noticed anything else? You have Ohio trees. Might you also have Ohio climate? The earth is constantly changing. What makes you think that vegetaion won't change with it?

Texas has had more snow than Michigan in the last few years. Arkansas and Tennessee has had more ice storms than Michigan. Is that a change from the past too?
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

<quoted text>
Try to keep up with the times, okay? They ARE thinning your forest! And they have been for quite some time.
http://www.hcn.org/issues/333/16654
I live here. Surrounded by the LINCOLN National Forest, I know what they are NOT doing! I would never pretend to know anything about Michigan where you live by just reading an article. PLEASE get out of the house more often..
Churmudgeon

Ash Flat, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

<quoted text>
"I never mow or fertilize my yard. I let the cow, horse,sheep& goats graze it off."
Your yard gets fertilized!!!!
You may not care about an owl, but some do. I guess you pick your species you want protected,(quail, rabbits) and other people pick theirs, huh? I say we conserve ALL species. That doesn't mean we can't do SOME logging and thinning. I'm also for roads as firebreaks too. I still say any tree cutting should only be done after nesting season is over...or before it begins in spring.
Yea the nanny goat & sheep berries are left to fertilize. The hores & cow manure is gathered & put in the compost bin. I dont cut much in the summer months its too hot. I cant take the heat in my old age. Im thinking about a tree cutting head for my 690 john deere excavator its air conditioned. I think Ive got the varmits pretty much gone from our home area. A doe rabbitt excaped from one of the hutches. hadnt seen her for a few weeks then I seen her and a half dozen babies out back today. she is living under a old junk truck. So far No varmit has killed her however they will die before the summer is over. They will eventually succumb to worms or diseases carried by the wild cottontails. Tame rabbitts have no resistance to those. probably when the grandchildren come to visit We will let the beagle hound out and she can chase rabbits and the grand children can take turns with the 22 shooting them. If so the kids will help skin & clean their kill and we will cook them up that nite.

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> Reciently in central arkansas they started drilling natural gas wells. many landowners gleefully sold the mineral rights to their land. We own some acreage in Faulkner county. We where offered $500 per acre for the mineral rights. We declined the offer. Years ago we paid less than that for the land. There isnt a right or wrong about it. its just another option to make money & provide natural gas to customers.
You were right to decline the offer.
Churmudgeon

Ash Flat, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

<quoted text>
Ummm, your "ancestors" are dead, Churm. LOL.
I see you've noticed some change in the trees that grow in your area. Have you noticed anything else? You have Ohio trees. Might you also have Ohio climate? The earth is constantly changing. What makes you think that vegetaion won't change with it?
Texas has had more snow than Michigan in the last few years. Arkansas and Tennessee has had more ice storms than Michigan. Is that a change from the past too?
shure the climate is changing. there where once glaceries where I live big deal. Its not caused by mans activities. its due to the end of an age pole shift. The magnetic north pole shifted 40 miles closer to siberia in 2011, the south magnetic pole moved very little. that made the magnosphere stretch on one side of the earth and bulge on the other. That changes the Jet stream . the jet stream drives the weather. The Extinction protocol website has some good info although they do try and attribute the earth changes as sometimes being Gods will? Nicoli Telsa understood the magnosphere and the way it works. The goverment uses Haarp to travel the magnosphere & cemtrails to make the Haarp bounce down to the earth and its gives the scientist a sort of ultrasound of what is in the earth at that point. Haarp might be damaging the magnosphere and even killing blackbirds fish ect. I dont rightly know?

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> Yep Ive seen plenty of those educated know it all yankees. They think they are so much smarter than us uneducated redneck hillbillies. There so ignorant that they actually believecthat there smarter than everyone else. They are always gonna show us how things should be done. Pieces of paper Diplomas only mean one thing that your good at school. Most overeducated high IQ folks are ate up with the dumbass. I can go to any wild horse and have him broke to lead within 30 minutes. that dont make me smarter than someone else. Its because I have Know How and a natural gift for reading horses. You can learn something from the dumbest retard around if your not too smart to learn from someone else.
I agree with you on this. I only got my degree in case I someday needed "something to fall back on" should I be hit with a job loss.
When I see all these highly educated folks ruining companies and this country, I know education is a farce. Around these parts a high school diploma will get you around $8 an hour, unless you own a business or get lucky somehow. I am always one that likes to be prepared for anything. And it was a subject I could find of interest being an outdoor person and all.

BTW, I never said that you redneck hillbillies were dumb. I never even used that phrase. But since you used it, they definitely have alot of knowledge in many areas. That's not to say that some things that have been passed from one generation to another can't be wrong.

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>Maybe he eats roadrunners!
Then he better have a proper hunting license.
What did you say his address was?

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>I live here. Surrounded by the LINCOLN National Forest, I know what they are NOT doing! I would never pretend to know anything about Michigan where you live by just reading an article. PLEASE get out of the house more often..
I didn't "pretend" to know about your state. But I did look up a Spotted Owl conservation article in New Mexico and posted what I found for that one area. Maybe it's not your area, but the point is the environmentalists DO want the woods thinned out. Maybe the do-gooders in your area learned what can happen when the forests are not managed, at least to some extent. But you really need to quit blaming the owl. He's not the bad guy here.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 8,281 - 8,300 of9,789
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

5 Users are viewing the Pocahontas Forum right now

Search the Pocahontas Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 46 min Speller feller 28,903
Hospital Tax 1 hr North East Arkansas Lady 30
Kristy Davisand Kendal Davis 4 hr curious 11
Public Elected Officials Information 6 hr Guest 21
bruce davis (Feb '10) 6 hr riverside 7
Funeral Home 7 hr Hokey Pokey 69
Boutique 10 hr Poky Gal 8
•••
•••