More than 1,000 dead birds fall from sky in Ark

Jan 2, 2011 Full story: news.yahoo.com 10,002

BEEBE, Ark. Wildlife officials are trying to determine what caused more than 1,000 blackbirds to die and fall from the sky over an Arkansas town.

The Arkansas Game and Fish Commission said Saturday that it began receiving reports about the dead birds about 11:30 p.m. the previous night. The birds fell over a 1-mile area of Beebe, and an aerial survey indicated that no other dead birds were found outside of that area. Full Story

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

#8842 Feb 11, 2013
Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> Here in the USA where we have a Republic god dont get a say so. The US counstition & laws of the land apply. So the person who paid the money is indeed the sole owner. and that sole owners counstitional rights cannott be overridden by the wishes & wants of the many. I may not agreee with a lot of things people do but I would fight to defend their counstitional & god given right to do them. A example would be to divide up a farm into a subdivision.
"So the person who paid the money is indeed the sole owner."
One would think so. Why then, do I not have a right to the minerals under my land if the previous owner says they are still his, even though I paid money for the property? In fact, why can the previous owner tell me I am NOT allowed to cut the trees even though I paid money for the property? Property owners rights don't mean much in our republic.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#8843 Feb 11, 2013
Raptor in Michigan wrote:
<quoted text>
Must be due to the declining bird populations!
In all reality, most insects and diseases that attack trees, attack the trees that are already stressed from another factor, such as drought, over-watering, transplanting, improper trimming, wind-burned during transport, compacting the soil above the roots, etc...
When we look at most landsacpes nowadays, people have trees that have been shipped here from other areas of the country or even other continents. There's that nasty old word again- non-native.
If people would leave things as natural as possible, in other words, letting the seeds planted by squirrels and blue jays take root, the trees would be so much more disease and insect resistant than the ones we buy from the nurseries that have been uprooted, shipped across the country and sat in pots all winter long before being planted around our homes.
These insects can then travel easily into nearby Ozark Mountains.......
If I left things the way you say my property would be covered in weeds, mostly sticker weeds. You really need to get out more.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#8844 Feb 11, 2013
<quoted text>
One would think so. Why then, do I not have a right to the minerals under my land if the previous owner says they are still his, even though I paid money for the property? In fact, why can the previous owner tell me I am NOT allowed to cut the trees even though I paid money for the property? Property owners rights don't mean much in our republic.
You don't like the terms don't buy the product!

SE Michigan

#8845 Feb 11, 2013
Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> We not only cut the cull trees for firewood. We sawmilled. someone in the family has always owned a small sawmill. I myself own a Bellsaw M14 one man sawmill. Any way we sawmilled the oak into grade lumber to be sold to the wood flooring compaines & picture frame company. They graded hard And every single board was inspected for defects such a boer damage. Any RR tie would be culled if it had insect damage. So Im here to tell you I would have noticed boer damage if it was present back during the day. Of course we cut on private land and the landowners would all get together and burn off all the woods & fields every spring. And as stated before dead & cull trees where cut for firewood. The Bower flourished on the goverment land where they immediately put out all fires and left dead trees standing and the forest littered with dead decaying wood & leaves. The bower only reciently invaded the privately owned land.Your simply a narrow minded tunnell visioned bird brain twit. Typical yankee Know it All
I'm not saying the the dead and decaying wood didn't contribute to the insect flourishing, but there's more than just a 'Save the Dead Tree' program to blame. That's like saying the grackles are the only birds that shit on your fields.

You can think what you want of me, but this Yankee know it all bird brain twit actually has her degree in Landscape Horticulture.

AND...... I am the first one to defend wildfires in maintaining a healthy ecosystem and biodiversity! I actually like butterflies as well as birds. The wildflowers that appear after a fire attracts SO MANY butterflies!

Look up Kirtlands Warbler. That's a good example of a species that would not be here now if it weren't for fire.

SE Michigan

#8846 Feb 11, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>The white man was brought here so that makes you non-native also. You want detrimental to wildlife your roadrunner is just that. You should see how they decimate the quail and any other birds who lay their eggs on nthe ground. It's quite a sight to see my neighbor to the east running around his property with his shotgun shooting roadrunners. He is a quail lover!
It's not up to humans to decide what should live and what should die. Roadrunners have just as much right to exist as quail. Your neighbor should be reported because roadrunners are protected by law....for a good reason! Sounds like he needs an education and an ass-kicking.

You might let him know they also eat lizards, mice and snakes! The roadrunner is NOT detrimental to wildlife. They are simply another predator in the food chain. Sometimes they are prey as well. Roadrunners and quail coexist with healthy numbers for each all over the desert. He has no need to fret over some roadrunners. His quail will be just fine.
Churmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

#8847 Feb 11, 2013
<quoted text>
its quite common for the mineral rights to be severed from a parcel of land. When I buy land I do the proper research to be shure I will own the mineral rights. Ill never buy land unless its fee simple without retrictions and has all the rights. Your jumping off on a tangient from the original post I answered. I stated god dont get a say so. Any road My wife states we actually dont really own our bought & paid for land. She says If its ours why does the county make us pay yearly rent (real property taxes) and they get to decide how much the rent will be? If we refuse to pay the rent the land will be forfited and sold at auction.
Churmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

#8848 Feb 11, 2013
<quoted text>
I'm not saying the the dead and decaying wood didn't contribute to the insect flourishing, but there's more than just a 'Save the Dead Tree' program to blame. That's like saying the grackles are the only birds that shit on your fields.
You can think what you want of me, but this Yankee know it all bird brain twit actually has her degree in Landscape Horticulture.
AND...... I am the first one to defend wildfires in maintaining a healthy ecosystem and biodiversity! I actually like butterflies as well as birds. The wildflowers that appear after a fire attracts SO MANY butterflies!
Look up Kirtlands Warbler. That's a good example of a species that would not be here now if it weren't for fire.
Im of the opinion there isnt whole lot of difference between a crazy cat lady & a crazy bird lady,
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#8849 Feb 11, 2013
<quoted text>
It's not up to humans to decide what should live and what should die. Roadrunners have just as much right to exist as quail. Your neighbor should be reported because roadrunners are protected by law....for a good reason! Sounds like he needs an education and an ass-kicking.
You might let him know they also eat lizards, mice and snakes! The roadrunner is NOT detrimental to wildlife. They are simply another predator in the food chain. Sometimes they are prey as well. Roadrunners and quail coexist with healthy numbers for each all over the desert. He has no need to fret over some roadrunners. His quail will be just fine.
Humans do decide what lives and what dies. I do it all the time. I like lizards more than I like roadrunners, I also feed the quail daily so I like quail more than roadrunners also. The roadrunner is also the state bird of New Mexico. He has my blessing killing them..

SE Michigan

#8850 Feb 11, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>I call letting them rot in the forest and fall over and lay there and create fire hazards for people and the forest in the name of the Spotted Owl is destruction. You take a look at the way the forest is managed in Arizona compared to the way it is in New Mexico and the difference is night and day. All in the name of a stupid owl..
It has NOTHING to do with the owl!

People who support leaving dead trees lay and rot do so because of the many benefits of leaving them. Namely, the decaying wood puts NUTRIENTS back into the soil. This is a known fact and it cannot be disputed. Why do you think people need to fertilize their yards? Answer: Because they don't have dead stuff rotting on their lawns putting nutrients in the soil. They need to buy nutrients and add them!

The other benefit is that dead logs offer good shelter to crustaceans, reptiles and amphibians. Go lift up a dead log in the woods and you'll find something living under it. Salamanders, lizards, snakes, toads, insects, etc...These are all beneficial species in the food web.

The Spotted Owl is a bird of OLD GROWTH habitat. That is they are not found on prairies, in fields, or even young forest. People want to preserve OLD GROWTH forests because there is not much of it left. If it is ALL removed (for profit) the Spotted Owl goes away for good. The same could likely be said for some other species that inhabit only old growth forest too, but they just use the Spotted Owl as the "mascot," if you will, for whatever reason.

I believe we need to conserve some of ALL habitat types.
Churmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

#8851 Feb 11, 2013
<quoted text>
If you did not purchase the mineral rights or timber rights to the land upon purchasing? Then you quite simply didnt buy 100% of the land. It dont matter how much you paid you only own what you contracted to purchase. Having a clear deed in fee simple ownership with no restrictions or clauses makes you the sole owner. Sometimes land is subject to life estates or easments. Sometimes the water rights dont go with the land/ You gotta be knowlegable to buy land folks will do all kinds of immoral sneaky things when large amounts of money change hands. Realtors are like lawyers they deserve the bad reputation the have.

SE Michigan

#8852 Feb 11, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>I am surrounded by a million acres that can't be bought because it is National Forest. Cutting it all down would be better than what the do-gooders are doing with it in the name of a dumb owl.
No "do-gooder" did anything to your 1 million acres of forest. It grew all by itself! And from what you've stated here, you seem to enjoy going up there! LOL

I guess other people just like the land as much as you do and want to see it remain in it's current state. Can't say that I blame them. I kinda like the woods myself.

But don't worry, it won't be long and you'll see smoke eminating in the distance and your 1 million acres will finally burn down. Then you can be happy.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#8853 Feb 11, 2013
<quoted text>
People who support leaving dead trees lay and rot do so because of the many benefits of leaving them. Namely, the decaying wood puts NUTRIENTS back into the soil. This is a known fact and it cannot be disputed. Why do you think people need to fertilize their yards? Answer: Because they don't have dead stuff rotting on their lawns putting nutrients in the soil. They need to buy nutrients and add them!
The other benefit is that dead logs offer good shelter to crustaceans, reptiles and amphibians. Go lift up a dead log in the woods and you'll find something living under it. Salamanders, lizards, snakes, toads, insects, etc...These are all beneficial species in the food web.
The Spotted Owl is a bird of OLD GROWTH habitat. That is they are not found on prairies, in fields, or even young forest. People want to preserve OLD GROWTH forests because there is not much of it left. If it is ALL removed (for profit) the Spotted Owl goes away for good. The same could likely be said for some other species that inhabit only old growth forest too, but they just use the Spotted Owl as the "mascot," if you will, for whatever reason.
A healthy forest needs to be thineed out. All that garbage left on the forest floor creates a fire hazard, if it doesn't burn then the sun doesn't get to the ground to grow grass and plants and during the rainy season the soil does not hold and you have mud slides. The deer and elk can't get in there and forage so it creates havoc for a wide variety of animals. But hell the spotted owl is OK. I guess, I haven't seen one in years. You do-gooders are ruining this country..
Churmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

#8854 Feb 11, 2013
<quoted text>
I never mow or fertilize my yard. I let the cow, horse,sheep& goats graze it off. I have to fence around the rosebushes shrubs & flowers or they would be grazed too. So what if the spotted owl goes extinct? So sad too bad maybe that owl should have been more adaptable to a changing environment? Afrer the Boer & tree diseases or a raging forest fire from all the dead forest litter kills those not much left(old growth) trees that spotted owl will be shit out of luck anyway.

SE Michigan

#8855 Feb 11, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>If I left things the way you say my property would be covered in weeds, mostly sticker weeds. You really need to get out more.
Nothing I've said should give you that idea!

I get out plenty. My yard is native plantings, some of which is left natural, and it's very nice! Here, try this for your yard.(No sticker weeds at all), yet all native vegetation for your area.

http://cdn.blogs.sheknows.com/gardening.shekn...
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#8856 Feb 11, 2013
<quoted text>
No "do-gooder" did anything to your 1 million acres of forest. It grew all by itself! And from what you've stated here, you seem to enjoy going up there! LOL
I guess other people just like the land as much as you do and want to see it remain in it's current state. Can't say that I blame them. I kinda like the woods myself.
But don't worry, it won't be long and you'll see smoke eminating in the distance and your 1 million acres will finally burn down. Then you can be happy.
This forest was in good shape at one time. Beautiful rolling Juniper, Pine, Spruce and Aspen, then some do-gooder noiced a stupid owl. This doo-gooder got with his hippie friends and took the forest service to court. Now we have an ugly in need of maintenance forest and the do-gooders left because they did their part of course and they destroyed another forest and a towns economy from the lumber industry.

SE Michigan

#8857 Feb 11, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>You don't like the terms don't buy the product!
One wants to sell the land, then he sells the land! Not just parts of it and he keeps the valuable parts!

SE Michigan

#8858 Feb 11, 2013
Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> its quite common for the mineral rights to be severed from a parcel of land. When I buy land I do the proper research to be shure I will own the mineral rights. Ill never buy land unless its fee simple without retrictions and has all the rights. Your jumping off on a tangient from the original post I answered. I stated god dont get a say so. Any road My wife states we actually dont really own our bought & paid for land. She says If its ours why does the county make us pay yearly rent (real property taxes) and they get to decide how much the rent will be? If we refuse to pay the rent the land will be forfited and sold at auction.
That is wrong. Mineral rights should go with the land- no exceptions. Want to keep the mineral rights, then keep the land and keep paying the taxes on it!

SE Michigan

#8859 Feb 11, 2013
Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> Im of the opinion there isnt whole lot of difference between a crazy cat lady & a crazy bird lady,
I'm of the opinion you don't know the difference between crazy and educated.
Churmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

#8860 Feb 11, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>A healthy forest needs to be thineed out. All that garbage left on the forest floor creates a fire hazard, if it doesn't burn then the sun doesn't get to the ground to grow grass and plants and during the rainy season the soil does not hold and you have mud slides. The deer and elk can't get in there and forage so it creates havoc for a wide variety of animals. But hell the spotted owl is OK. I guess, I haven't seen one in years. You do-gooders are ruining this country..
I constantly thin my woodlands. If you get too many trees per acre they will grow tall & spindly. thin them out and the trunks get larger. I remove all the lightining & ice storm damaged trees for firewood. We are cutting all the red oak because they have boer damage. Many of the white oak & post oak seem to be resistant? the ozark forest is changing from a predominately oak forest to be more like those in Ohio. maple cherry boxelder gum scyacmore cottonwood ect are taking over where the oak has been weakened. Today was a beautiful day in the Ozarks mid 60,s and sunny. I chainsawed non stop for four hours cutting red oak. Then I planted walnuts that I gathered from the black walnut tree in my yard last fall. I planted a nut beside every oak stump . Ill never harvest a log from those trees but maybe my ancestors will?
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#8861 Feb 11, 2013
<quoted text>
One wants to sell the land, then he sells the land! Not just parts of it and he keeps the valuable parts!
Sellers terms buyers choice.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pocahontas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 36 min Shut up Barney 29,834
Mayor race 2 hr guest 53
Review: Centerpoint Energy 2 hr Tracy Henson 1
hydrotemp? (Oct '09) 4 hr Tweety 85
Child care 4 hr Parent 1
Prichard furniture 4 hr Guest 1
AR Who do you support for Auditor in Arkansas in 2... (Oct '10) 4 hr KatBrownKohl 242
•••
•••
•••

Pocahontas Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Pocahontas People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Pocahontas News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Pocahontas