More than 1,000 dead birds fall from sky in Ark

Jan 2, 2011 Full story: news.yahoo.com 10,028

BEEBE, Ark. Wildlife officials are trying to determine what caused more than 1,000 blackbirds to die and fall from the sky over an Arkansas town.

The Arkansas Game and Fish Commission said Saturday that it began receiving reports about the dead birds about 11:30 p.m. the previous night. The birds fell over a 1-mile area of Beebe, and an aerial survey indicated that no other dead birds were found outside of that area. Full Story
Two sides

United States

#8822 Feb 10, 2013
Be careful out there wrote:
<quoted text>
It's all the rotting carcasses from the dam birds that died two years ago.
Yeah. Two years ago. Can we move on? Why are these piles of semi typists still posting on this thread?

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

#8823 Feb 10, 2013
Churmudgeon wrote:
All through the fifty,s sixty,s , seventies & eighties we cut oak for firewod. that oak was split and I never seen a single boer tunnell let alone a boer. After the Theres life in those dead trees program the boers appeared. Now they are present in almost every tree. you can look at a live tree and see the sap leaking from the boer holes. leaving dead trees and putting out all the wildfires on goverment owned land did indeed allow the boer to flourish. Now they pay to have dead trees emoved and do prescribed burning to remove forest litter. Im afraid its too little to late the hardwood is doomed.
I have never seen a tree that doesn't have borers burrowing in the wood. I'd lay odds that the trees you cut back then did have borer tunnels in them. You just didn't notice. Most young people don't notice detail like that, especially when their mission is to just cut the wood.

"you can look at a live tree and see the sap leaking from the boer holes."
If you look even closer, you can see the sap attracting sap-suckers and numerous other birds that eat it. You can also see hummingbirds feasting on the tiny insects attracted to it. That is the circle of life. Isn't it great?

"leaving dead trees and putting out all the wildfires on goverment owned land did indeed allow the boer to flourish."
Fires (those started by nature, of course) are also part of the circle of life in a forest. It's just as necessary as those dead trees. Eliminate the dead trees and you eliminate a whole lot of insect eating birds.
http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2010/mar/21/dead...

http://10000birds.com/cavity-nesting-birds-of...

"Im afraid its too little to late the hardwood is doomed."
No, it isn't. Just because our republic is doomed, doesn't mean Mother Nature is. Nature heals herself. If any insect gets too abundant, it will get weeded out somehow- eventually. The forest floor is covered with oak seedlings and acorns. Another generation of trees will soon replace those that are dead now.

SE Michigan

#8824 Feb 10, 2013
Nobody really knows wrote:
<quoted text>
So I have 80 acres of red oak trees. I will be cutting them in about 2 years. So by law I can only but them certain months. Bull. It's 2 million dollars worth of trees on my land, i'll cut them when I get damn good and ready.
If you are a self-centered greedy bastard.... you probably will.

I have 30 acres Iv'e been considering clear-cutting for some extra cash too. But I will make damn sure that whoever does it does not do it between May and August. Those birds didn't fly thousands of miles from the other side of the equator for nothing you know. They come here for one reason...to make BABIES! I'm not that desperate for money that I can't wait until they are done nesting and the babies have fledged before I clear the land.(this would apply if my land was prairie as well.)

Baby birds are just as important to bird parents as your babies are to you! Or haven't you ever seen the reaction of a Mother bird who just watched her babies get killed. I have and it's heart-wrenching.....if you have a heart.

SE Michigan

#8825 Feb 10, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>We have that same problem here in the Sacramento Mountains with our pine tree because the doo gooders want to save the spotted owl. They don't realize by not thinning out the forrest they have sentenced these owls to death because all the underbrush keeps them from finding their food like mice easily. What a joke these people are.
Some people go overboard with their wanting to save the environment and in reality don't know the first thing about it. Many of them wouldn't even know a Spotted Owl if they seen one. I'm all for conservation and saving owls and everything else, but I educate myself on issues before I make decisions concerning something like that.

Then there's the other side....the one that doesn't give a crap about anything but how much money can be made, regardless of what they hurt.

I fall someplace in the middle.

SE Michigan

#8826 Feb 10, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>You got me there. No animal is innocent, we all must take from something or someone in order to survive. Can you name me a native species? I can gleen you like cats being killed, am I more correct with that statement? I think of coyotes like you think of cats. I got 3 coyotes yesterday. I have set a trap in my backyard for that bobcat also..
Just ONE native species??? Why certainly. How about the roadrunner? Native to your area and your state bird if memory serves me.

You can glean I do NOT want cats in the wild anywhere on this continent, aside from the native bobcat and cougar. I would prefer housecats all have good indoor homes and families that love them, but reality is they don't. So yes, in order to protect our native wildlife, the alien cats need to be removed from the wild.

SE Michigan

#8827 Feb 10, 2013
Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text>Two million dollars? I suppose a milion dollars dont mean a thing to a liar he can have all the millions he wants. The market for oak grade lumber is almost nonexistant. The tie buyer have the sawmillers on quotas. About all you could sell that 80acres of red oak is for pallett lumber at a very low price. maybe you if your lucky can get $20,000 for it. I do agree you have the right to cut your trees if you so desire.
Did God make man sole owner of trees just because he paid money for the land they sit on?
Lol

Jonesboro, AR

#8828 Feb 10, 2013
Holly
Two sides

United States

#8829 Feb 11, 2013
Raptor in Michigan wrote:
<quoted text>
Did God make man sole owner of trees just because he paid money for the land they sit on?
Yup. He did.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#8830 Feb 11, 2013
<quoted text>
Just ONE native species??? Why certainly. How about the roadrunner? Native to your area and your state bird if memory serves me.
You can glean I do NOT want cats in the wild anywhere on this continent, aside from the native bobcat and cougar. I would prefer housecats all have good indoor homes and families that love them, but reality is they don't. So yes, in order to protect our native wildlife, the alien cats need to be removed from the wild.
I am not sure if the Roadrunner was here when this continent was created or not I am sure that the cat was here before you and I ever arrived. But if you want to kill them I have no problem with that either.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#8831 Feb 11, 2013
<quoted text>
Yes he did, over the trees, land and animals.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#8832 Feb 11, 2013
<quoted text>
I have never seen a tree that doesn't have borers burrowing in the wood. I'd lay odds that the trees you cut back then did have borer tunnels in them. You just didn't notice. Most young people don't notice detail like that, especially when their mission is to just cut the wood.
I have seen many and they do exist today just not as many as before..
Churmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

#8833 Feb 11, 2013
<quoted text>
Here in the USA where we have a Republic god dont get a say so. The US counstition & laws of the land apply. So the person who paid the money is indeed the sole owner. and that sole owners counstitional rights cannott be overridden by the wishes & wants of the many. I may not agreee with a lot of things people do but I would fight to defend their counstitional & god given right to do them. A example would be to divide up a farm into a subdivision.
Churmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

#8834 Feb 11, 2013
<quoted text>
"you can look at a live tree and see the sap leaking from the boer holes."
If you look even closer, you can see the sap attracting sap-suckers and numerous other birds that eat it. You can also see hummingbirds feasting on the tiny insects attracted to it. That is the circle of life. Isn't it great?
"leaving dead trees and putting out all the wildfires on goverment owned land did indeed allow the boer to flourish."
Fires (those started by nature, of course) are also part of the circle of life in a forest. It's just as necessary as those dead trees. Eliminate the dead trees and you eliminate a whole lot of insect eating birds.
http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2010/mar/21/dead...
http://10000birds.com/cavity-nesting-birds-of...
"Im afraid its too little to late the hardwood is doomed."
No, it isn't. Just because our republic is doomed, doesn't mean Mother Nature is. Nature heals herself. If any insect gets too abundant, it will get weeded out somehow- eventually. The forest floor is covered with oak seedlings and acorns. Another generation of trees will soon replace those that are dead now.
We not only cut the cull trees for firewood. We sawmilled. someone in the family has always owned a small sawmill. I myself own a Bellsaw M14 one man sawmill. Any way we sawmilled the oak into grade lumber to be sold to the wood flooring compaines & picture frame company. They graded hard And every single board was inspected for defects such a boer damage. Any RR tie would be culled if it had insect damage. So Im here to tell you I would have noticed boer damage if it was present back during the day. Of course we cut on private land and the landowners would all get together and burn off all the woods & fields every spring. And as stated before dead & cull trees where cut for firewood. The Bower flourished on the goverment land where they immediately put out all fires and left dead trees standing and the forest littered with dead decaying wood & leaves. The bower only reciently invaded the privately owned land.Your simply a narrow minded tunnell visioned bird brain twit. Typical yankee Know it All

SE Michigan

#8835 Feb 11, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>I am not sure if the Roadrunner was here when this continent was created or not I am sure that the cat was here before you and I ever arrived. But if you want to kill them I have no problem with that either.
I'm pretty sure the roadrunner evolved with the desert vegetation and wildlife. I am unaware of them being found on other continents. Ihey are definitely a native species, and an awesome one at that!(I can't wait to get some shots of them with my new camera!)

I'm sure the cat was here before you and I, but I'm also sure they were brought here by man, probably several hundred years ago. That makes them non-native.

Like I said, I don't WANT to kill anything. I just want people to be more responsible in their actions especially when they have detrimental effects on wildlife and the environment.

I had a big, old long post on this "non-native" topic, but my computer was acting up bigtime, so I had to close it out and shut it down for a few minutes. I copied my post and was going to paste it when I reopened, but it wasn't there. I was none too pleased!

SE Michigan

#8836 Feb 11, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>Yes he did, over the trees, land and animals.
Does that mean we should destroy everything just because he gave us "dominion?" I don't think destroy is the definition of the word and that's not what he intended for us to do. There is a difference between using our resources, which I support, and abusing them, which I don't support.

SE Michigan

#8837 Feb 11, 2013
Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text>Two million dollars? I suppose a milion dollars dont mean a thing to a liar he can have all the millions he wants. The market for oak grade lumber is almost nonexistant. The tie buyer have the sawmillers on quotas. About all you could sell that 80acres of red oak is for pallett lumber at a very low price. maybe you if your lucky can get $20,000 for it. I do agree you have the right to cut your trees if you so desire.
Good point. If all 80 acre parcels had $2 million in trees, I doubt there'd be any trees left on earth! And most people couldn't afford to buy any land at all. LOL!

I wonder what I could get for my 30 acres of oak and pine. It must be worth at least $750,000!
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#8838 Feb 11, 2013
<quoted text>
I'm pretty sure the roadrunner evolved with the desert vegetation and wildlife. I am unaware of them being found on other continents. Ihey are definitely a native species, and an awesome one at that!(I can't wait to get some shots of them with my new camera!)
I'm sure the cat was here before you and I, but I'm also sure they were brought here by man, probably several hundred years ago. That makes them non-native.
Like I said, I don't WANT to kill anything. I just want people to be more responsible in their actions especially when they have detrimental effects on wildlife and the environment.
I had a big, old long post on this "non-native" topic, but my computer was acting up bigtime, so I had to close it out and shut it down for a few minutes. I copied my post and was going to paste it when I reopened, but it wasn't there. I was none too pleased!
The white man was brought here so that makes you non-native also. You want detrimental to wildlife your roadrunner is just that. You should see how they decimate the quail and any other birds who lay their eggs on nthe ground. It's quite a sight to see my neighbor to the east running around his property with his shotgun shooting roadrunners. He is a quail lover!
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#8839 Feb 11, 2013
<quoted text>
Does that mean we should destroy everything just because he gave us "dominion?" I don't think destroy is the definition of the word and that's not what he intended for us to do. There is a difference between using our resources, which I support, and abusing them, which I don't support.
I call letting them rot in the forest and fall over and lay there and create fire hazards for people and the forest in the name of the Spotted Owl is destruction. You take a look at the way the forest is managed in Arizona compared to the way it is in New Mexico and the difference is night and day. All in the name of a stupid owl..
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#8840 Feb 11, 2013
<quoted text>
Good point. If all 80 acre parcels had $2 million in trees, I doubt there'd be any trees left on earth! And most people couldn't afford to buy any land at all. LOL!
I wonder what I could get for my 30 acres of oak and pine. It must be worth at least $750,000!
I am surrounded by a million acres that can't be bought because it is National Forest. Cutting it all down would be better than what the do-gooders are doing with it in the name of a dumb owl.

SE Michigan

#8841 Feb 11, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>I have seen many and they do exist today just not as many as before..
Must be due to the declining bird populations!

In all reality, most insects and diseases that attack trees, attack the trees that are already stressed from another factor, such as drought, over-watering, transplanting, improper trimming, wind-burned during transport, compacting the soil above the roots, etc...

When we look at most landsacpes nowadays, people have trees that have been shipped here from other areas of the country or even other continents. There's that nasty old word again- non-native.

If people would leave things as natural as possible, in other words, letting the seeds planted by squirrels and blue jays take root, the trees would be so much more disease and insect resistant than the ones we buy from the nurseries that have been uprooted, shipped across the country and sat in pots all winter long before being planted around our homes.

These insects can then travel easily into nearby Ozark Mountains.......

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pocahontas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
AR Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in A... (Oct '10) 31 min guest 438
where the peco plant is going (Nov '13) 43 min Get a grip 32
that black guy who drives that gray mercury gra... 46 min HisFriend 13
Mayor race 6 hr guest 60
AR Who do you support for Secretary of State in Ar... (Oct '10) 8 hr First 241
AR Who do you support for Auditor in Arkansas in 2... (Oct '10) 8 hr First 258
Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 9 hr enough already 29,866
Who Vicky Powers really is 9 hr Robin Hood 18
•••
•••
•••

Pocahontas Jobs

•••