More than 1,000 dead birds fall from sky in Ark

Jan 2, 2011 Full story: news.yahoo.com 10,138

BEEBE, Ark. Wildlife officials are trying to determine what caused more than 1,000 blackbirds to die and fall from the sky over an Arkansas town.

The Arkansas Game and Fish Commission said Saturday that it began receiving reports about the dead birds about 11:30 p.m. the previous night. The birds fell over a 1-mile area of Beebe, and an aerial survey indicated that no other dead birds were found outside of that area. Full Story
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#8801 Feb 8, 2013
Raptor in Michigan wrote:
<quoted text>
I wish you were up here at the cabin this weekend. There are cat tracks in the yard. I want to make sure I don't see cat tracks no more times.
WOW! So you like killing innocent cats? LMAO!

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

#8802 Feb 8, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>Let me get this right, you went over to your neighbors and told them they should leave a dead tree in their yard while they were cutting it down? In New Mexico that tree might have accidentally fallen on you, over and over and over ......
Why, yes. Yes I did. How could I sit there in my yard and watch that knowing they could be killing baby birds? It was during nesting season. Any other time, and wouldn't have cared. You may not give a crap about birds, but lots of people do. Most don't know there is even such thing as a "nesting season."

Do you know how many baby birds are brought to rehabbers each summer because some homeowner was cutting down a tree, then when it's too late, they find the nest or babies on the ground and feel bad and want to save them? I was trying to save these people from the agony of knowing they potentially could have been destroying a family.
Two sides

Duluth, GA

#8803 Feb 8, 2013
Aren't they rotten and decayed by now?
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#8804 Feb 8, 2013
<quoted text>
Why, yes. Yes I did. How could I sit there in my yard and watch that knowing they could be killing baby birds? It was during nesting season. Any other time, and wouldn't have cared. You may not give a crap about birds, but lots of people do. Most don't know there is even such thing as a "nesting season."
Do you know how many baby birds are brought to rehabbers each summer because some homeowner was cutting down a tree, then when it's too late, they find the nest or babies on the ground and feel bad and want to save them? I was trying to save these people from the agony of knowing they potentially could have been destroying a family.
What about their right of cutting down their tree on their property. Surely you wouldn't want to take that right away from them.........

SE Michigan

#8805 Feb 9, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>What about their right of cutting down their tree on their property. Surely you wouldn't want to take that right away from them.........
Of course I wouldn't. I also don't want to see uninformed people take the life away from babies. I am pro-life after all.

Native birds are supposedly protected by law. It says nothing in the MBTA about homeowners chopping down trees being exempt from the law. That's why no trees should be cut down during the nesting season! They are free to cut whatever they want the rest of the year.

If the tree was a hazard, that would be different. It wasn't however. It was way out in their yard next to a huge field. No dangerous powerlines near it. The house was not even close to it. In fact, nobody even lives in the house most of the year. It was the caretakers doing the dirty work.
Churmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

#8806 Feb 9, 2013
<quoted text>
Of course I wouldn't. I also don't want to see uninformed people take the life away from babies. I am pro-life after all.
Native birds are supposedly protected by law. It says nothing in the MBTA about homeowners chopping down trees being exempt from the law. That's why no trees should be cut down during the nesting season! They are free to cut whatever they want the rest of the year.
If the tree was a hazard, that would be different. It wasn't however. It was way out in their yard next to a huge field. No dangerous powerlines near it. The house was not even close to it. In fact, nobody even lives in the house most of the year. It was the caretakers doing the dirty work.
Several years ago the Arkansas Game & fish comission started this program aimed at saving dead trees. it was called there is life in those dead trees. As a result the failure to remove dead & diseased trees caused the tree boer to flourish. now 90% of the red & white oak tree,s in the Ozarks are infested with boers. Many thousands are dying every year they have since reversed that wrong idea. clear cuts & prescribed burning is the plan today.I will cut any tree I own at any time I need or want to. Its not feasible to harvest timber in winter when its not nesting seasom. Its too wet to muddy and timber dont saw up good if its very cold. I do harvest cedar in winter It grows on a rocky glade . I cut all the dead & diseased trees at any time of the year.

SE Michigan

#8807 Feb 9, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>WOW! So you like killing innocent cats? LMAO!
Two questions.
How do you conclude that cats are "innocent?"
They are a non-native species that does not belong in my yard. And if you think they are "innocent" you must also think coyotes are innocent.

How do you glean I like killing cats by my statement?
The fact is I have never killed a cat. And if I did ever kill a cat, I certainly would not like doing it.
That's why it would be nice to have Churm here.:)
fifty1fifty

North Little Rock, AR

#8808 Feb 9, 2013
Ever watched a fox fight a cat?

SE Michigan

#8809 Feb 9, 2013
Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text>Several years ago the Arkansas Game & fish comission started this program aimed at saving dead trees. it was called there is life in those dead trees. As a result the failure to remove dead & diseased trees caused the tree boer to flourish. now 90% of the red & white oak tree,s in the Ozarks are infested with boers. Many thousands are dying every year they have since reversed that wrong idea. clear cuts & prescribed burning is the plan today.I will cut any tree I own at any time I need or want to. Its not feasible to harvest timber in winter when its not nesting seasom. Its too wet to muddy and timber dont saw up good if its very cold. I do harvest cedar in winter It grows on a rocky glade . I cut all the dead & diseased trees at any time of the year.
The AR game and Fish Commission is correct. There IS life in those dead trees. I never said nobody should EVER cut ANY dead trees down. But we could be more responsible about what we do cut. Dead trees are just as important as live ones in a healthy ecosystem.
http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.p...

The borer was in existance long before the dead tree program you speak of started. It is impossible to say the program is solely responsible for the outbreak of the insect into the Ozarks.

MI has a huge problem with the Emerald Ash Borer. It is killing all of our Ash trees, and we never had a save the dead tree program.

It is more likely campers from other areas transporting infested firewood into the Ozarks when they go camping. Birds eat borers too. Namely woodpeckers. Woodpeckers need dead trees to nest and reproduce. Go figure.

SE Michigan

#8810 Feb 9, 2013
Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text>Several years ago the Arkansas Game & fish comission started this program aimed at saving dead trees. it was called there is life in those dead trees. As a result the failure to remove dead & diseased trees caused the tree boer to flourish. now 90% of the red & white oak tree,s in the Ozarks are infested with boers. Many thousands are dying every year they have since reversed that wrong idea. clear cuts & prescribed burning is the plan today.I will cut any tree I own at any time I need or want to. Its not feasible to harvest timber in winter when its not nesting seasom. Its too wet to muddy and timber dont saw up good if its very cold. I do harvest cedar in winter It grows on a rocky glade . I cut all the dead & diseased trees at any time of the year.
"Its not feasible to harvest timber in winter when its not nesting seasom. Its too wet to muddy and timber dont saw up good if its very cold."
That depends on where you are. In MI nesting season is generally April through August for most of our protected migratory birds. Cutting trees is feasible the rest of the year (September through early April) with slight threat to some early (and late) nesters, most of which are common and abundant anyway.(doves, robins, cardinals) This is a better time to cut because there are no leaves on the trees. This makes it easier and safer for the men doing the timbering. Wet and muddy isn't a huge problem during this time because the ground is frozen in winter.

SE Michigan

#8811 Feb 9, 2013
fifty1fifty wrote:
Ever watched a fox fight a cat?
No. You?

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

#8812 Feb 9, 2013
Nearly 8300 posts later and we're still talking about this shit?
Churmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

#8813 Feb 10, 2013
All through the fifty,s sixty,s , seventies & eighties we cut oak for firewod. that oak was split and I never seen a single boer tunnell let alone a boer. After the Theres life in those dead trees program the boers appeared. Now they are present in almost every tree. you can look at a live tree and see the sap leaking from the boer holes. leaving dead trees and putting out all the wildfires on goverment owned land did indeed allow the boer to flourish. Now they pay to have dead trees emoved and do prescribed burning to remove forest litter. Im afraid its too little to late the hardwood is doomed.
Nobody really knows

Conway, AR

#8814 Feb 10, 2013
<quoted text>
So I have 80 acres of red oak trees. I will be cutting them in about 2 years. So by law I can only but them certain months. Bull. It's 2 million dollars worth of trees on my land, i'll cut them when I get damn good and ready.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#8815 Feb 10, 2013
Churmudgeon wrote:
We have that same problem here in the Sacramento Mountains with our pine tree because the doo gooders want to save the spotted owl. They don't realize by not thinning out the forrest they have sentenced these owls to death because all the underbrush keeps them from finding their food like mice easily. What a joke these people are.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#8816 Feb 10, 2013
<quoted text>
Two questions.
How do you conclude that cats are "innocent?"
They are a non-native species that does not belong in my yard. And if you think they are "innocent" you must also think coyotes are innocent.
How do you glean I like killing cats by my statement?
The fact is I have never killed a cat. And if I did ever kill a cat, I certainly would not like doing it.
That's why it would be nice to have Churm here.:)
You got me there. No animal is innocent, we all must take from something or someone in order to survive. Can you name me a native species? I can gleen you like cats being killed, am I more correct with that statement? I think of coyotes like you think of cats. I got 3 coyotes yesterday. I have set a trap in my backyard for that bobcat also..
Two sides

United States

#8818 Feb 10, 2013
Really, it is beginning to stink in here. Lets clean this garbage up and move on, shall we?
Be careful out there

Fort Smith, AR

#8819 Feb 10, 2013
Two sides wrote:
Really, it is beginning to stink in here. Lets clean this garbage up and move on, shall we?
It's all the rotting carcasses from the dam birds that died two years ago.
Churmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

#8820 Feb 10, 2013
Nobody really knows wrote:
<quoted text>
So I have 80 acres of red oak trees. I will be cutting them in about 2 years. So by law I can only but them certain months. Bull. It's 2 million dollars worth of trees on my land, i'll cut them when I get damn good and ready.
Two million dollars? I suppose a milion dollars dont mean a thing to a liar he can have all the millions he wants. The market for oak grade lumber is almost nonexistant. The tie buyer have the sawmillers on quotas. About all you could sell that 80acres of red oak is for pallett lumber at a very low price. maybe you if your lucky can get $20,000 for it. I do agree you have the right to cut your trees if you so desire.
Churmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

#8821 Feb 10, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>You got me there. No animal is innocent, we all must take from something or someone in order to survive. Can you name me a native species? I can gleen you like cats being killed, am I more correct with that statement? I think of coyotes like you think of cats. I got 3 coyotes yesterday. I have set a trap in my backyard for that bobcat also..
I built a 4 foot square plywood box.I put a 1 inch wire top on it. in the top center I fastend a wire cage 1 foot square and put a rooster in it. on the four sides near the bottom center I cut out a hole 12 inches square. I place a 10 inch body grip trap over those holes. When something that wants chicken dinner comes around they likely first jump on the top and try to get that rooster. they soon find the holes on the side and are caught. Works great for bobcat ,coyotes & racoon. Ive even caught dogs & cats.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pocahontas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
2 AM is too early 41 min Poky Gal 1
Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 3 hr Trish 30,039
New theater downtown 3 hr gman 3
Kiechs BBQ 5 hr guest 21
move back 8 hr Againstthemachine 3
More Taxes 20 hr Dress Code 1
chickens 21 hr guest 2
Pocahontas Dating
Find my Match

Pocahontas Jobs