More than 1,000 dead birds fall from sky in Ark

Jan 2, 2011 | Posted by: Inisa Love | Full story: news.yahoo.com

BEEBE, Ark. Wildlife officials are trying to determine what caused more than 1,000 blackbirds to die and fall from the sky over an Arkansas town.

The Arkansas Game and Fish Commission said Saturday that it began receiving reports about the dead birds about 11:30 p.m. the previous night. The birds fell over a 1-mile area of Beebe, and an aerial survey indicated that no other dead birds were found outside of that area.

Comments (Page 410)

Showing posts 8,181 - 8,200 of9,711
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text>Your grasping at straws. I seen the dogs Running away as i drove up. I went and tracked them in the snow to the subdivision where they resided. I didnt contact &confront the owners because they would defend fido & bowser to the hilt and would be denialist. So I trapped those dogs and made it look like they where road kill. The cow was isolating herself from the main herd because she was preparing to calve. You cant confront the owners of wayward pets. because if you do and something happens to fido or bowser they will retaliate by shooting your cows or arson etc. The Arkansas law states ( about to ) It dont have to be actively harrasssing just about to. If a running at large dog comes on my place I assume that its (about to )harrass livestock. Keep fido & bowser on your own property and they are safe from me. those dogs where part lab,part bulldog, and mountian cur, One was a beagle. That cow without horns with a pack of dogs attacking couldnt defend herself or injure the dogs. one dog on each ear one on the nose and two on the tail. those dogs where just bad animals. and im not the only one in the vicinity who had cows killed & molested by that very same dog pack. i just returned from the sale barn. I sold 5 head for over $4000.00. No way am I gonna let dogs rob me of my work & profit. Those dogs turned a $800.00 cow into a $75 dollar cow. As the old saying goes kill them all and let god sort out the good from the bad.
This might surprise you, but I defend your right to kill those dogs in defense of your animals. What I don't condone is the use of indiscriminate killing traps. They could have just as easily killed someone's beloved pet who had no involvement in hurting your cow.

In Yellowstone a few years ago, one of our dogs scooted out of the motorhome quickly and unexpectedly as I was going ouside. Luckily, I was able to tackle him outside before he ran off. He could have ended up in a situation where he got caught in someone's deadly trap if he was sniffing around. That is just wrong. He wouldn't deserve it. Neither would I.

My neighbors 2 boxers have killed countless animals. One Memorial Day, I got up early to enjoy a nice spring day. The first event of the morning was hearing commotion in the yard next door. The dogs had an opossum they were chomping on. It was barely alive. It died a short while later. After it's death, 5 babies came out of her. They died that afternoon. I was irate to say the least.

In the afternoon of that same day, those dogs had a Red-bellied Woodpecker they were throwing around like a squeak toy. This was almost a daily occurance.

The neighbors finally restricted them to a smaller portion of the yard after the lady watchd her dogs tear a couple deers apart as they screamed in pain.

I would gladly pull the trigger on those two monsters, but they are on their own property and I don't want to make enemies with the neighbors. And like you, I don't need retaliation later.

That sounds terrible and I never thought I'd say that about a dog, but I totally understand why you'd be pissed off.

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Guest wrote:
<quoted text> I don't blame you one bit. You can bet that wasn't the first time they had likely done something similar. People need to realize that they are responsible for their pets. And like you said, they wouldn't have believed you or admit it.
I don't blame him either. But those traps kill innocent, non-target animals and are just not right.
Churmudgeon

Ash Flat, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Raptor in Michigan wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't blame him either. But those traps kill innocent, non-target animals and are just not right.
My land my rules. Any feral housecat or free roaming dog is in danger if it sets one paw on my property. Pet or not, right or wrong, the anmals fault, the animals owners fault, my fault, nobodys fault, thats just the way it is. We have spent thousands of dollars and countless man hours premeter fencing our place with stout 39 inch woven wire fence. When something digs under my fence its not innocent its tresspassing. I set the 10 inch body grip traps at those locations. No bait or scent necessairy.
Churmudgeon

Ash Flat, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

Comments
Showing posts 1 - 12 of12 Mr-Peanut_Butter
Since: Feb 12
Location hidden
Please wait... Reply
|Report Abuse |Judge it!|#1 Feb 19, 2012
I'm tired of that dog chasing my car. I cant ever find the owner. Dont know if it belongs to the folks with the huge Mercedes or the chick down the hill next door...
BOOM
Mountain Home, AR
|Report Abuse |Judge it!|#2 Feb 19, 2012
Judged:
Strays are known disease carriers and a threat to small children, livestock and the elderly. There is but one simple solution and it happens around here a dozen times a day. People must learn that the time to "love" your dog is not after it's gone missing but before. Leashes and fences mean never having to say "I miss Buffy so much" and "my kids cry themselves to sleep every night".
Haha
United States
|Report Abuse |Judge it!|#3 Feb 19, 2012
It belongs to the people with the big mercedes
kill
Salem, AR
|Report Abuse |Judge it!|#4 Feb 19, 2012
Judged:
just run it over
Sunny
Cherokee Village, AR
|Report Abuse |Judge it!|#5 Feb 20, 2012
Judged:
Mr. Peanut Butter is a YANKEE - go home yankee!!
Amanda two
Dump Obama November 6, 2012
Since: Jan 11
Flush it.
Please wait... Reply
|Report Abuse |Judge it!|#6 Feb 20, 2012
Judged:
kill wrote:
just run it over
If it's in the road it's fair game.
think first
Branson, MO
|Report Abuse |Judge it!|#7 Feb 20, 2012
Judged:
Amanda two wrote:
<quoted text>If it's in the road it's fair game.
Sure, that is the first thing I want to do. I want to hit a large dog in my car and tear something up. With a 1000$ deductible, it seems seriously redundant to hit a dog because it annoys me. I make decent money but really, not enough to piss it out the window. I realize that some people don't care what their cars look like and are perfectly happy to let them run around with dents. I work very hard to pay for mine, and while it isn't big and fancy, that is still time I have to spend away. Now that I have satisfied that tangent, I am leaving out compassion for the animal. It can not help that PEOPLE don't take care of it properly. If I saw you jay walking at the same time I went to work every day, would that make YOU fair game?
Bob A Long
Cherokee Village, AR
|Report Abuse |Judge it!|#8 Feb 20, 2012
think first wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure, that is the first thing I want to do. I want to hit a large dog in my car and tear something up. With a 1000$ deductible, it seems seriously redundant to hit a dog because it annoys me. I make decent money but really, not enough to piss it out the window. I realize that some people don't care what their cars look like and are perfectly happy to let them run around with dents. I work very hard to pay for mine, and while it isn't big and fancy, that is still time I have to spend away. Now that I have satisfied that tangent, I am leaving out compassion for the animal. It can not help that PEOPLE don't take care of it properly. If I saw you jay walking at the same time I went to work every day, would that make YOU fair game?
My pick up truck will never feel it.
Mr-Peanut_Butter
Since: Feb 12
Location hidden
|Report Abuse |Judge it!|#9 Feb 20, 2012
Never mind, its not the big Mercedes.
Its the cute chick down the hill. She says single too;)No kids, no man-Glad that dog chases cars or I never would've met her:)
kill
Salem, AR

owner
Mountain Home, AR
|Report Abuse |Judge it!|#11 Apr 12, 2012
talk so much shit. dog chases cars that are going to fast down the street. he's only doing his job, protecting the kids who live around his place. come talk to me if you have a problem jackass.
Owner
Watkins Glen, NY
|Report Abuse |Judge it!|#12 3 hrs ago
Has anyone seen my German shepard.will pay big dollars for information leading me to my family pet . My boys cry everyday missing our guster. Reward reward reward for safe return home.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

<quoted text>
Name one that WAS an accident.
We were testing a missle on White Sands Missle Range in the 50's or 60's when one went out of control and landed in Juarez, Chihuahua Mexico. Pure Accident.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

<quoted text>
BS. I agree with Churm. There is almost nothing our military can't do. They didn't need to kill a kid to get to him.
If wiping out a church, a mosque or a day care center could prevent the death of innocent Americans then I am all for it.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> My land my rules. Any feral housecat or free roaming dog is in danger if it sets one paw on my property. Pet or not, right or wrong, the anmals fault, the animals owners fault, my fault, nobodys fault, thats just the way it is. We have spent thousands of dollars and countless man hours premeter fencing our place with stout 39 inch woven wire fence. When something digs under my fence its not innocent its tresspassing. I set the 10 inch body grip traps at those locations. No bait or scent necessairy.
That sounds like an old John Wayne movie. My fault, your fault, anybodies fault....

They don't make them like that anymore!
Guess Who

Warren, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Churmudgeon wrote:
Comments
Has anyone seen my German shepard.will pay big dollars for information leading me to my family pet . My boys cry everyday missing our guster. Reward reward reward for safe return home.
"People must learn that the time to "love" your dog is not after it's gone missing but before. Leashes and fences mean never having to say "I miss Buffy so much" and "my kids cry themselves to sleep every night"."

I've cited several examples of how a dog can get free, even when leashed and fenced. It's called an accident. NO human is perfect, nor are the things they make foolproof.

There might be some idiots and irresponsible people in your area, but they are not all deserving of losing their pets if one gets loose.

I respect the fact you spent alot of money and man hours building your fence, but holes can always be fixed. A life cannot be replaced.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Judged:

Guess Who wrote:
<quoted text>
"People must learn that the time to "love" your dog is not after it's gone missing but before. Leashes and fences mean never having to say "I miss Buffy so much" and "my kids cry themselves to sleep every night"."
I've cited several examples of how a dog can get free, even when leashed and fenced. It's called an accident. NO human is perfect, nor are the things they make foolproof.
There might be some idiots and irresponsible people in your area, but they are not all deserving of losing their pets if one gets loose.
I respect the fact you spent alot of money and man hours building your fence, but holes can always be fixed. A life cannot be replaced.
I just looked out my back window and my two dogs are still in their fenced backyard. They have been there since 1999. NEVER got out. Interesting what a truly responsible pet owner can accomplish when he puts his mind to it. The sad thing is theses idiots will just go out and get another mutt so the same thing can happen again. I have seen it time and time again. Some people shouldn't have pets or kids..
Churmudgeon

Ash Flat, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Guess Who wrote:
<quoted text>
Those dogs lived in a subdivision 1/2 mile away from my farm as the crow flies. Its one of those deals where they divided up a 640 acre farm into 10 acre (ranches) then the buyers put three house trailers on a ten acre parcel. Ive drove throught the subdivision and im here to tell you a proper dog enclosure is a rarity in the place. No dog accidently gets loose and immidiately comes to my place to harrass livestock and hopefully become caught by me & destroyed. More than likely they first came to my place when their owners where tresspassing while hunting. When you take your dog somewhere with you your giving him permission to tresspass. Of all the dogs I caught only one had a collar and rabies vaccination tag. The previous post I copyed & pasted isnt from my area. I posted it as a example of the mindset of many dog owners. They buy a few acres and then think now that I live in the country its OK to let my dog roam free. They really believe their dog isnt hurting anything.
Churmudgeon

Ash Flat, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>That sounds like an old John Wayne movie. My fault, your fault, anybodies fault....
They don't make them like that anymore!
Yea John Wayne made that statement to Richard Boone in a western movie. I plagurized it with a few changes. I also plagurize many statement,s that where made by Ken Curtis who was Festus Haggen of Gunsmoke.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Judged:

Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> Yea John Wayne made that statement to Richard Boone in a western movie. I plagurized it with a few changes. I also plagurize many statement,s that where made by Ken Curtis who was Festus Haggen of Gunsmoke.
You know they wanted John Wayne to play Matt Dillon and he declined. He was the one who suggested Arnez for the part. I hope I got that name correct.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Judged:

Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> Yea John Wayne made that statement to Richard Boone in a western movie. I plagurized it with a few changes. I also plagurize many statement,s that where made by Ken Curtis who was Festus Haggen of Gunsmoke.
Big Jake I think. When they kidnapped his grandson.
Churmudgeon

Ash Flat, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Judged:

James Arness. His brother was Peter Graves. I always liked the episode where Matt comes in on the stage carrying his saddle. Chester ask,s him did you get the man you where after Mr Dillon? Matt replied no he got away I killed my horse trying to catch him. And the very next episode Matt would be riding ole buck again. Ole buck had a lot of distance between his front legs. Very powerful chest mucles. He likely was part draft horse. probably Belgan. Made for a durable gentle horse but would be rough to ride. Buck was a big horse. However Dillon was so big he made buck look small in comparision whn mounted up.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Churmudgeon wrote:
James Arness. His brother was Peter Graves. I always liked the episode where Matt comes in on the stage carrying his saddle. Chester ask,s him did you get the man you where after Mr Dillon? Matt replied no he got away I killed my horse trying to catch him. And the very next episode Matt would be riding ole buck again. Ole buck had a lot of distance between his front legs. Very powerful chest mucles. He likely was part draft horse. probably Belgan. Made for a durable gentle horse but would be rough to ride. Buck was a big horse. However Dillon was so big he made buck look small in comparision whn mounted up.
That was one of the longest running series of all time. They just don't make them like that anymore. We as a people and country have strayed from what once made us great, solid core values, ethics and morals and, manners and close family ties. I am guilty at times also......

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Judged:

WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>If wiping out a church, a mosque or a day care center could prevent the death of innocent Americans then I am all for it.
Why not just nuke everyone in the world? Then you can be assured that none of those people can ever kill an American!

Dude, THINK about what you're saying, okay? You make true conservatives sound like war mongers. And you don't put ANY consideration at all into the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. EVERY person has a right to a fair trial. You can't kill people and wipe out establishments just because you THINK they MIGHT kill an American SOMEDAY.

What if it was YOUR church, or YOUR Mosque, or YOUR child's day care center?

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>We were testing a missle on White Sands Missle Range in the 50's or 60's when one went out of control and landed in Juarez, Chihuahua Mexico. Pure Accident.
We bombed an aspirin factory in Sudan. Not an accident. And a country that did not attack us.

“"Always Thinking"”

Since: Nov 12

Greensburg, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Sorry, the page you requested either doesn't exist or isn't available right now!
Give this thread up losers!

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>I just looked out my back window and my two dogs are still in their fenced backyard. They have been there since 1999. NEVER got out. Interesting what a truly responsible pet owner can accomplish when he puts his mind to it. The sad thing is theses idiots will just go out and get another mutt so the same thing can happen again. I have seen it time and time again. Some people shouldn't have pets or kids..
You obviously are home if you can look out your window. Some people go to work. My dogs are in the house when I leave, where I know they are safe. Well, as safe as can be expected anyway.

But some people leave their dogs outside. Even in a fenced yard, one can have a trespasser that leaves the gate open and lets the dog out. The meter reader could leave the gate open. A tree could fall on the fence. There are countless ways a dog can get out.

Even in the house, while I'm working, the other half could accidently let my dog out. If he has company when I'm not home, THEY could let the dog out. I told him I want NOBODY in my house when I'm not home, for that very reason, but I can't force him to obey my orders! He is a big boy, ya know.

Again, accidents happen. The dogs' death is NOT a just punishment.

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2013

Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> Those dogs lived in a subdivision 1/2 mile away from my farm as the crow flies. Its one of those deals where they divided up a 640 acre farm into 10 acre (ranches) then the buyers put three house trailers on a ten acre parcel. Ive drove throught the subdivision and im here to tell you a proper dog enclosure is a rarity in the place. No dog accidently gets loose and immidiately comes to my place to harrass livestock and hopefully become caught by me & destroyed. More than likely they first came to my place when their owners where tresspassing while hunting. When you take your dog somewhere with you your giving him permission to tresspass. Of all the dogs I caught only one had a collar and rabies vaccination tag. The previous post I copyed & pasted isnt from my area. I posted it as a example of the mindset of many dog owners. They buy a few acres and then think now that I live in the country its OK to let my dog roam free. They really believe their dog isnt hurting anything.
I agree 100% that many of those people don't care. There are people near me with the same mindset that because they are in the country, they can let their dogs run. The dogs ARE hurting things, even on their own property, like my neighbors dogs. They should be dealt with on a case by case basis when they trespass.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 8,181 - 8,200 of9,711
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

23 Users are viewing the Pocahontas Forum right now

Search the Pocahontas Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Pocahontas Auction 2 hr Guest 4
Hispanic Radio Station Coming To Town 3 hr Juan 10
Mark Bradly Arrested 5 hr Guest 3
Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 8 hr Yes 27,899
5 rivers medical center 20 hr hmm 67
Poultry Processor Bringing 1,000 Jobs to Randol... 23 hr guest 19
motorcycle problem Wed casual rider 11
•••
•••