More than 1,000 dead birds fall from sky in Ark

Jan 2, 2011 Full story: news.yahoo.com 10,153

BEEBE, Ark. Wildlife officials are trying to determine what caused more than 1,000 blackbirds to die and fall from the sky over an Arkansas town.

The Arkansas Game and Fish Commission said Saturday that it began receiving reports about the dead birds about 11:30 p.m. the previous night. The birds fell over a 1-mile area of Beebe, and an aerial survey indicated that no other dead birds were found outside of that area. Full Story
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#8657 Feb 3, 2013
Raptor in Michigan wrote:
<quoted text>
That idiot. At this time we don't need supposed law-abiding gun owners doing stupid shit that makes all of us look bad.
I just purchased 3 Sig Sauer semi automatic rifles. I am going to give one to my sisterinlaw. Get them why you can..
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#8658 Feb 3, 2013
<quoted text>
You're not in Asia anymore. The war is over. The government is not always right and they don't always have people do what's in the best interest of the country. Last, but not least; Animals aren't as evil as you've been taught.
Spend a day watching an opossum or a raccoon foraging for food, playing and interacting with others of their kind and you'll see they ain't much different than you. They enjoy life just as much.
I seriously doubt Churm has a day to spare watching some old mangy opposum tear up his soil. He has a living to make..
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#8659 Feb 3, 2013
<quoted text>
I'd find a different business if I had to be that stressed about it. Why not collect your ss and be done with it? Put the animals in an enclosure at night? Install an alarm that sounds when anything comes onto the property?
We looked at a house that was for sale before we bought our other place and it had a falcon scream as soon as we walked in front of the motion detector. That might be enough to deter most predators.
LOL!

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

#8660 Feb 3, 2013
Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> I not gonna quit. I strive to be a producing maker not a parasitic maker. Drawing a goverment check makes you a paraste. In not stressed my blood pressure is Ok. I do have the kidding animals enclosed for the moment. the need to have a certian amount of space in order to peacfully coexist. the varmits are on the look out for a easy kill even during the day. they are active 24x7 just like my traps.
After working and paying into ss all your life, you are NOT a parasite by taking what was STOLEN from you against your will in the first place.
Your blood pressure might be good, but waking up every two hours is not normal, unless you're a woman in menopause.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#8661 Feb 3, 2013
<quoted text>
After working and paying into ss all your life, you are NOT a parasite by taking what was STOLEN from you against your will in the first place.
Your blood pressure might be good, but waking up every two hours is not normal, unless you're a woman in menopause.
I don't get SS do you?

SE Michigan

#8662 Feb 3, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks reaper. I really enjoy the coward part I play in life. I wish more people could be a coward like me, life is good when you are a coward. Retired, no bills, great family, travel time around the country so I can hunt and fish. Living the coward life is wonderful. I hope one day you to can be a coward. You are right I am all I can be and will ever be. I enjoy being a coward. Thanks for reminding me about killing animals. I have to apply for the draw tomorrow for elk, deer, antelope, javelina, Rocky Mountain Big horn, Turkey, oryx and several other species. My freezers are always full. You know us cowards we ain't going without any meat..
Now I got some coyotes to kill this morning, see ya later friend..
"Retired, no bills, great family, travel time around the country"
Thanks for reminding me to create my retirement calendar later this month. I will soon be eligible to become a coward too! Not only will I be a coward, I will be a parasitic taker as well! Collecting a pension in my forties- WOW! I'm so young, I may even choose to work another year or two....just to pad my IRA's and increase the pension.

"so I can hunt and fish."
This is my version of hunting. Try it sometime...You might like it. No need to apply for any drawings. Can't wait to do it full time and take my photography on the road!

So many birds, so little time!
http://www.youtube.com/watch...

SE Michigan

#8663 Feb 3, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>I just purchased 3 Sig Sauer semi automatic rifles. I am going to give one to my sisterinlaw. Get them why you can..
I want to get a few more high capacity clips for my Sigma. Can't afford them at this time though. I'm busting the gluteus to be debt free in retirement, so every extra penny is designated to the bills at this time.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#8664 Feb 3, 2013
<quoted text>
"Retired, no bills, great family, travel time around the country"
Thanks for reminding me to create my retirement calendar later this month. I will soon be eligible to become a coward too! Not only will I be a coward, I will be a parasitic taker as well! Collecting a pension in my forties- WOW! I'm so young, I may even choose to work another year or two....just to pad my IRA's and increase the pension.
"so I can hunt and fish."
This is my version of hunting. Try it sometime...You might like it. No need to apply for any drawings. Can't wait to do it full time and take my photography on the road!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =UmPXtsJeu5MXX
So many birds, so little time!
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
Over the past couple of years I have taken up Arrow Head hunting. You should see the collection of ancient materials I have gathered. It is a facinating hobby..
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#8665 Feb 3, 2013
<quoted text>
I want to get a few more high capacity clips for my Sigma. Can't afford them at this time though. I'm busting the gluteus to be debt free in retirement, so every extra penny is designated to the bills at this time.
Being debt free is good but won't mean a hill of beans if you can't properly defend yourself when the time comes. This country is on the verge of collapse anyways. Most are just too stupid to see it coming.

SE Michigan

#8666 Feb 3, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text> I seriously doubt Churm has a day to spare watching some old mangy opposum tear up his soil. He has a living to make..
I've had a raccoon family living in my yard for several years. They retreat to the woods in winter, but summers I have spent observing and photographing the family and their daily routines. I've taken hundreds of photographs of 'Spike' and her youngsters.

She lets me approach VERY closely to her while she feeds. I've seen her interact with a skunk, and watched her keep an eye on her young while she ate and they played in my waterfall birdbath. She's raised no fewer than eight babies in my yard over the past two summers.

I am writing a book about the family. At this time, I don't know if I should make it a childs book or gear it to older kids or adults. My goal is to let people know that raccoons are not the mean, aggressive animals they are made out to be. People have been taught that they are aggressive and if raccoons are seen in the daytime, that means they have rabies. These fallacies are passed from generation to generation and they are wrong. This has caused so many raccoons to be killed needlessly, leaving so many orphaned young to die a slow starvation death. That is so sad!

SE Michigan

#8667 Feb 3, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>I don't get SS do you?
I give to SS against my will. I will collect it as soon as I can.

SE Michigan

#8668 Feb 3, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text> I seriously doubt Churm has a day to spare watching some old mangy opposum tear up his soil. He has a living to make..
Churm has time to spare buying, setting and checking traps everyday, and watching cows and sheep graze. Of course he does.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#8669 Feb 3, 2013
<quoted text>
I've had a raccoon family living in my yard for several years. They retreat to the woods in winter, but summers I have spent observing and photographing the family and their daily routines. I've taken hundreds of photographs of 'Spike' and her youngsters.
She lets me approach VERY closely to her while she feeds. I've seen her interact with a skunk, and watched her keep an eye on her young while she ate and they played in my waterfall birdbath. She's raised no fewer than eight babies in my yard over the past two summers.
I am writing a book about the family. At this time, I don't know if I should make it a childs book or gear it to older kids or adults. My goal is to let people know that raccoons are not the mean, aggressive animals they are made out to be. People have been taught that they are aggressive and if raccoons are seen in the daytime, that means they have rabies. These fallacies are passed from generation to generation and they are wrong. This has caused so many raccoons to be killed needlessly, leaving so many orphaned young to die a slow starvation death. That is so sad!
The title of your book should be: How I killed a cute little racoon!

You doo gooders always do more harm to nature with your ignorance of how nature works. Now that you have condtioned this coon to not fear humans you have basically sentenced it to death. This coon will ultimately find a path to a more populated area where it will get close to humans who will kill it, this is a death sentence for any remaining babies also. I bet you feed the bears when you camp!
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#8670 Feb 3, 2013
<quoted text>
Churm has time to spare buying, setting and checking traps everyday, and watching cows and sheep graze. Of course he does.
That's called protecting your investment otherwise known as making a living!

SE Michigan

#8671 Feb 3, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>Over the past couple of years I have taken up Arrow Head hunting. You should see the collection of ancient materials I have gathered. It is a facinating hobby..
I have a few arrowheads myself. We were traveling the Great River Road when a nice lady down along the Rio Grande gave me a few she found. It would be fun to search for them myself though. I would like to go rock hounding too. My Mom has a metal detector she would like to take out that way and see what she could find. Maybe this spring....

SE Michigan

#8672 Feb 3, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>Being debt free is good but won't mean a hill of beans if you can't properly defend yourself when the time comes. This country is on the verge of collapse anyways. Most are just too stupid to see it coming.
If it comes to defending myself with a bunch of guns and high capacity clips, it won't mean much if in the end, I wind up captured or more likely dead anyway. Then none of it matters. Right now I have to assume retirement day will come, and I need to be prepared for it. I have too many things I want to do while I'm still young and able.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#8673 Feb 3, 2013
<quoted text>
I have a few arrowheads myself. We were traveling the Great River Road when a nice lady down along the Rio Grande gave me a few she found. It would be fun to search for them myself though. I would like to go rock hounding too. My Mom has a metal detector she would like to take out that way and see what she could find. Maybe this spring....
There are Arrow Heads and pottery shards along with metates and manos all over the place here. I have even found a prestine arrow shafter. Lots of fun and good exercise.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#8674 Feb 3, 2013
<quoted text>
If it comes to defending myself with a bunch of guns and high capacity clips, it won't mean much if in the end, I wind up captured or more likely dead anyway. Then none of it matters. Right now I have to assume retirement day will come, and I need to be prepared for it. I have too many things I want to do while I'm still young and able.
How old are you 48?

SE Michigan

#8675 Feb 3, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>The title of your book should be: How I killed a cute little racoon!
You doo gooders always do more harm to nature with your ignorance of how nature works. Now that you have condtioned this coon to not fear humans you have basically sentenced it to death. This coon will ultimately find a path to a more populated area where it will get close to humans who will kill it, this is a death sentence for any remaining babies also. I bet you feed the bears when you camp!
Again, you are wrong. You need to give animals more credit. They are not as stupid as people think they are.

Spike knows me from other humans. You should see her scurry up the tree when my neighbors come outside. They are far enough that she can't see them clearly through the trees, but she knows they are there because she hears them. Same thing when the meter reader comes around. Or other visitors. She hides well and keeps her young hidden when danger approaches.

She just seems to know that I won't harm her though. I've had plenty of opportunities to do so, but I haven't. She recognizes that fact. That may be why she has chosen to keep coming back to my yard with her babies each spring.

Unfortunately, the nearby highway will claim her before any human will. There aren't many people that live on my street. Most of those who do are animal friendly.

"Now that you have condtioned this coon to not fear humans"
I did not do any conditioning here. I simply noticed while filling my feeders and photographing birds a few years ago that she didn't show much fear of me.

SE Michigan

#8676 Feb 3, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>There are Arrow Heads and pottery shards along with metates and manos all over the place here. I have even found a prestine arrow shafter. Lots of fun and good exercise.
We like walking along railroad tracks looking for stuff. My brother especially enjoys that. If only I could talk him into taking a trip out there, he would have a blast!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pocahontas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 2 hr BARNEYII 30,468
Dollins 9 hr outsider 15
Pocahontas Downtown Playhouse 10 hr Rainbow 3
Do the theatre still have good shows? 10 hr guest 18
Fears Family Funeral Home 13 hr Local yocal 5
I must be obsolete 19 hr Obsolete 10
tom graham (Jun '12) 23 hr tom graham 9
Pocahontas Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web