More than 1,000 dead birds fall from sky in Ark

Jan 2, 2011 | Posted by: Inisa Love | Full story: news.yahoo.com

BEEBE, Ark. Wildlife officials are trying to determine what caused more than 1,000 blackbirds to die and fall from the sky over an Arkansas town.

The Arkansas Game and Fish Commission said Saturday that it began receiving reports about the dead birds about 11:30 p.m. the previous night. The birds fell over a 1-mile area of Beebe, and an aerial survey indicated that no other dead birds were found outside of that area.
Comments
8,061 - 8,080 of 9,800 Comments Last updated 10 hrs ago
Churmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Raptor in Michigan wrote:
<quoted text>
"I dont want varmits like coyote raccoon opossom armadillo dogs cats ect roaming around spreading worms & disese"
Your farm animals do. The animals you don't catch do. The bunnies you like do too. What's the difference?
"destroying the frog eggs in the spring- nest of birds rabbitt,s ect."
You defend birds, but birds also eat frog eggs and frogs. Frogs will eat birds too, btw. You cannot change the circle of life.
http://www.rubythroat.org/QuestionsPredators0...
The predators you kill keep the prey species you want healthy.
How many blind House Finches do you have? Mycoplasma Conjunctivitis will spread rapidly among the birds if the sick ones aren't weeded out by the predators.
The pig meat does sound delicious though.:)
Maybe I'll let you cook my breakfast the next time I'm in your area.
The worms are spread when a coyote dog or other varmit eats manure and then taks a dump elsewhere. the worm eggs hatch out and crawl up onthe grass and is ingested by the grazing livestock. My cattle & goats are wormed at regular intervals. Yes those water tukeys do eat a lot of frog eggs tadpoles & small frogs. I seen a sparrow hawk yesterday Im shure that he will weed out any weak &sickly finches Ect. For breakfast today I had three scrambled bantam chicken eggs and two slices of bacon and a quart of goats milk. All grown & processed by us. tonite im having goat burger & sweet potato,s (regular sweet potatos not yams) and insted of milk im having some home brew beer. No middle men no taxes no goverment regulations & involvement whatsoever. The only tax involved would be the sales tax on my electric bill. I would be happy to do without electric and cook on wood stove and keep the milk & eggs in the spring. But my wife would never go for it. NOT! Actually the air conditioning, frig & freezer , washer,dryer ect is afually convienent. And I like the TV and internet also. The Amish can live like the 1800,s I dont want to. We never had electric when I was growing up until 1962. I here to tell ya its not much fun.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> The worms are spread when a coyote dog or other varmit eats manure and then taks a dump elsewhere. the worm eggs hatch out and crawl up onthe grass and is ingested by the grazing livestock. My cattle & goats are wormed at regular intervals. Yes those water tukeys do eat a lot of frog eggs tadpoles & small frogs. I seen a sparrow hawk yesterday Im shure that he will weed out any weak &sickly finches Ect. For breakfast today I had three scrambled bantam chicken eggs and two slices of bacon and a quart of goats milk. All grown & processed by us. tonite im having goat burger & sweet potato,s (regular sweet potatos not yams) and insted of milk im having some home brew beer. No middle men no taxes no goverment regulations & involvement whatsoever. The only tax involved would be the sales tax on my electric bill. I would be happy to do without electric and cook on wood stove and keep the milk & eggs in the spring. But my wife would never go for it. NOT! Actually the air conditioning, frig & freezer , washer,dryer ect is afually convienent. And I like the TV and internet also. The Amish can live like the 1800,s I dont want to. We never had electric when I was growing up until 1962. I here to tell ya its not much fun.
I need to learn how to brew my own beer! I like a light pilsner.

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> The worms are spread when a coyote dog or other varmit eats manure and then taks a dump elsewhere. the worm eggs hatch out and crawl up onthe grass and is ingested by the grazing livestock. My cattle & goats are wormed at regular intervals. Yes those water tukeys do eat a lot of frog eggs tadpoles & small frogs. I seen a sparrow hawk yesterday Im shure that he will weed out any weak &sickly finches Ect. For breakfast today I had three scrambled bantam chicken eggs and two slices of bacon and a quart of goats milk. All grown & processed by us. tonite im having goat burger & sweet potato,s (regular sweet potatos not yams) and insted of milk im having some home brew beer. No middle men no taxes no goverment regulations & involvement whatsoever. The only tax involved would be the sales tax on my electric bill. I would be happy to do without electric and cook on wood stove and keep the milk & eggs in the spring. But my wife would never go for it. NOT! Actually the air conditioning, frig & freezer , washer,dryer ect is afually convienent. And I like the TV and internet also. The Amish can live like the 1800,s I dont want to. We never had electric when I was growing up until 1962. I here to tell ya its not much fun.
If your animals are wormed regularly, what's the problem? Why worry about worms? If other farmers can live without trapping all the wild creatures, why is it so necessary for you to do so? Final question, if you just killed two pigs and have all that meat, why only two slices of bacon for breakfast??? A whole pound would have been in order for me!

"All grown & processed by us."
That is something I admire! If I had a choice, that would be my preferred lifestyle. I just wouldn't be so hateful to all the other wild creatures trying to survive.

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>I need to learn how to brew my own beer! I like a light pilsner.
Google it.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

<quoted text>
Google it.
I don't google or giggle.
Churmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

<quoted text>
If your animals are wormed regularly, what's the problem? Why worry about worms? If other farmers can live without trapping all the wild creatures, why is it so necessary for you to do so? Final question, if you just killed two pigs and have all that meat, why only two slices of bacon for breakfast??? A whole pound would have been in order for me!
That is something I admire! If I had a choice, that would be my preferred lifestyle. I just wouldn't be so hateful to all the other wild creatures trying to survive.
We have to worm regulary and the neighbors do the same. And ive shown the other farmers thee 10 inch body grip traps. One guy who lives 60 miles east of me had 4 cows killed by dogs. I met hin at the ashflat sale barn. I gave him two of my body grip traps. I explaned how to effectively use them. He called and reported they are doing the job. All my life everyone in the region who had animals worked to keep the varmits in check. Of course back the everyone had a flock of chickens and grew a garden. Deer are devasting for gardens. Back in the sixties we almost made deer extinct in NE Arkansas. And I wish they where that scarce today. The other wild creatures trying to survive are at cross purposes with my livelyhood and the other creatures wild & domestic that are under my protection.
Churmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Judged:

WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>I need to learn how to brew my own beer! I like a light pilsner.
Im still learning. Moonshine corn squeezins I know pretty well. But beer is a little different. There is plenty of info about brewing you own beer online. And its legal to make home brew. There are beer making kits that can be bought online. Im trying to make my own malt ect and want to get to the place where everything in my beer is produced by us. Mine is a dark bitters I drink it hot. I have a friend who makes wine. He brought me some elderberry wine that is exceptional.
Churmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>WOW! You started drinking early today. Who said anything about taking your stinky lakes away from you? There are lakes all around where I live. I am an avid fly fisherman. I love the rainbow trout we have here in my area. My place also runs on its own well so I can water as much as I want any time I want. I live in the Tularosa basin so I can hunt and kill, elk, oryx, mule deer, white tail, Mountain Lion, Coyote, quail. Barbary Sheep, Antelope, Black bear, turkey, Javelina, bob cat and the list goes on and on. Keep your lakes I will be fine! Now go mow your weeds!
I fish with a funnell trap. I fish for the fish and hunt for the meat. I not a sportsman. I would shoot fish in a barrell and I deer hunt over a corn feeder. Turkey you glue corn to the trigger pan of a steel jaw trap. It catches lots of crows and few turkey. I think It would work for pheasnt and geese also. My great grand daddy had a steel jaw trap on the top of every post around his chicken yard. Im still using some of his old traps. On another news the director of the Arkansas Game & fish was fired today.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Judged:

Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> Im still learning. Moonshine corn squeezins I know pretty well. But beer is a little different. There is plenty of info about brewing you own beer online. And its legal to make home brew. There are beer making kits that can be bought online. Im trying to make my own malt ect and want to get to the place where everything in my beer is produced by us. Mine is a dark bitters I drink it hot. I have a friend who makes wine. He brought me some elderberry wine that is exceptional.
I am some what of a survivalist myself, I believe they call it preppers nowadays. I would also like to be able to grow everything I need for beer production. I think I am going to buy one of those kits you mentioned and experiment with it. I like a light colored cold beer, not much for drinking it hot. Thanks..
Churmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

According to Gov. Mike Beebe, Arkansas Game and Fish Commission Chairman Rick Watkins resigned after a January 22nd arrest for public intoxication and disorderly conduct.

The incident happened at a residence in rural Lonoke County where Watkins banged on a door asking questions and discharged a weapon into the ground. A loaded Glock 40 caliber weapon was found during the arrest along with several bottles of alcohol.

Watkins is a Little Rock native, business owner and active volunteer with the Boy Scouts of America.
Thegrimreaper

Ash Flat, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Judged:

Warrior, like I said, you are a coward, no matter what you "say so your self". You are not doing any dirty work for me, and just to further your ignorance, you have no way of knowing where, or what I eat. you are just a scared little boy, and you like to pick on things that are smaller than you are. If you were a real man, you would pick on other people, not poor little defenceless animals, that have no way of protecting themselves. Just from reading a few of your post's, makes it very clear that you are afraid of your own shadow, and killing those little animals makes you feel like as much of a man as you will ever be, which honestly, isn't much. I have met a few people like you in my life, and I can say that not one of them have ever turned out to be anything. You are all you will ever be. Sad, lonley, and all alone without any one, or anything.
Churmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2013

Judged:

Thegrimreaper wrote:
Warrior, like I said, you are a coward, no matter what you "say so your self". You are not doing any dirty work for me, and just to further your ignorance, you have no way of knowing where, or what I eat. you are just a scared little boy, and you like to pick on things that are smaller than you are. If you were a real man, you would pick on other people, not poor little defenceless animals, that have no way of protecting themselves. Just from reading a few of your post's, makes it very clear that you are afraid of your own shadow, and killing those little animals makes you feel like as much of a man as you will ever be, which honestly, isn't much. I have met a few people like you in my life, and I can say that not one of them have ever turned out to be anything. You are all you will ever be. Sad, lonley, and all alone without any one, or anything.
Way back in the sixties the US goverment gave me a free vacation in southeast asia. Yhose gooks where smaller than me but they had just a big of gun. It was job I was sent to do and I was very good at it. right or wrong I dispached the varmits before they got the chance to do damage. Thats the same thing i do today . Im prptecting what is under my watch. and I pretty happy with my life. You can think & do as you wish your the one who hasta live with your thoughts & actions.
Churmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2013

<quoted text>
as for the bacon? A hundred fifty pound hog only has about ten pounds of bacon & sow belly. so im being frugal with my bacon to make it last awile. and im up at 3 AM to take a leak, stoke the woodstove and check on the sheep & goats in the barn that are lambing & kidding. I bought a hundred bred female Barabado Black belly sheep for $10,000 last fall and they are lambing. The Arabs will pay about $100 each for six month old fat lambs. Hopefully the ewe,s will average raising two lambs each. With the cost of feed I could make with luck maybe earn $5,000 profit on a ten thousand dollar investment in a years time. its lots of very enjoyable work but lately Im not getting much sleep. I get up and check them about every two hours. I had to help a couple just a few minuts ago. I be dammed if I let coyotes or dog,s kill them. the lamas & donkey cant be everywhere at once. and I cant be on guard 24X7 so the large body grip traps are a necessity for my enterprise to be successful.

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2013

WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>I am some what of a survivalist myself, I believe they call it preppers nowadays. I would also like to be able to grow everything I need for beer production. I think I am going to buy one of those kits you mentioned and experiment with it. I like a light colored cold beer, not much for drinking it hot. Thanks..
"...I need....beer."
"I like a light colored cold beer."
You spend all these months hitting on me and now I find out you're an alocoholic!!
You blew your chances with me!
LOL

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2013

Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> I fish with a funnell trap. I fish for the fish and hunt for the meat. I not a sportsman. I would shoot fish in a barrell and I deer hunt over a corn feeder. Turkey you glue corn to the trigger pan of a steel jaw trap. It catches lots of crows and few turkey. I think It would work for pheasnt and geese also. My great grand daddy had a steel jaw trap on the top of every post around his chicken yard. Im still using some of his old traps. On another news the director of the Arkansas Game & fish was fired today.
Your great Grand daddy is the one who taught you to hate animals?
My Grandpa loved to sit in the yard early in the morning and listen to the birds and watch the squirrels chase each other. He was a peaceful man that loved watching wildlife.

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2013

Churmudgeon wrote:
According to Gov. Mike Beebe, Arkansas Game and Fish Commission Chairman Rick Watkins resigned after a January 22nd arrest for public intoxication and disorderly conduct.
The incident happened at a residence in rural Lonoke County where Watkins banged on a door asking questions and discharged a weapon into the ground. A loaded Glock 40 caliber weapon was found during the arrest along with several bottles of alcohol.
Watkins is a Little Rock native, business owner and active volunteer with the Boy Scouts of America.
That idiot. At this time we don't need supposed law-abiding gun owners doing stupid shit that makes all of us look bad.

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2013

Thegrimreaper wrote:
"If you were a real man, you would pick on other people, not poor little defenceless animals, that have no way of protecting themselves."
Actually, animals do have defenses, but not against guns and traps. But I do agree on one thing, a real man wouldn't be killing animals for thrills. I know lots of people that hunt, and they eat what they kill.... as was intended by the man upstairs.

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2013

Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> Way back in the sixties the US goverment gave me a free vacation in southeast asia. Yhose gooks where smaller than me but they had just a big of gun. It was job I was sent to do and I was very good at it. right or wrong I dispached the varmits before they got the chance to do damage. Thats the same thing i do today . Im prptecting what is under my watch. and I pretty happy with my life. You can think & do as you wish your the one who hasta live with your thoughts & actions.
You're not in Asia anymore. The war is over. The government is not always right and they don't always have people do what's in the best interest of the country. Last, but not least; Animals aren't as evil as you've been taught.

Spend a day watching an opossum or a raccoon foraging for food, playing and interacting with others of their kind and you'll see they ain't much different than you. They enjoy life just as much.

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2013

Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> as for the bacon? A hundred fifty pound hog only has about ten pounds of bacon & sow belly. so im being frugal with my bacon to make it last awile. and im up at 3 AM to take a leak, stoke the woodstove and check on the sheep & goats in the barn that are lambing & kidding. I bought a hundred bred female Barabado Black belly sheep for $10,000 last fall and they are lambing. The Arabs will pay about $100 each for six month old fat lambs. Hopefully the ewe,s will average raising two lambs each. With the cost of feed I could make with luck maybe earn $5,000 profit on a ten thousand dollar investment in a years time. its lots of very enjoyable work but lately Im not getting much sleep. I get up and check them about every two hours. I had to help a couple just a few minuts ago. I be dammed if I let coyotes or dog,s kill them. the lamas & donkey cant be everywhere at once. and I cant be on guard 24X7 so the large body grip traps are a necessity for my enterprise to be successful.
I'd find a different business if I had to be that stressed about it. Why not collect your ss and be done with it? Put the animals in an enclosure at night? Install an alarm that sounds when anything comes onto the property?

We looked at a house that was for sale before we bought our other place and it had a falcon scream as soon as we walked in front of the motion detector. That might be enough to deter most predators.
Churmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2013

<quoted text>
I'd find a different business if I had to be that stressed about it. Why not collect your ss and be done with it? Put the animals in an enclosure at night? Install an alarm that sounds when anything comes onto the property?
We looked at a house that was for sale before we bought our other place and it had a falcon scream as soon as we walked in front of the motion detector. That might be enough to deter most predators.
I not gonna quit. I strive to be a producing maker not a parasitic maker. Drawing a goverment check makes you a paraste. In not stressed my blood pressure is Ok. I do have the kidding animals enclosed for the moment. the need to have a certian amount of space in order to peacfully coexist. the varmits are on the look out for a easy kill even during the day. they are active 24x7 just like my traps.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

23 Users are viewing the Pocahontas Forum right now

Search the Pocahontas Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Funeral Home 1 hr James Fears FH 79
Imperial Theater (Aug '12) 2 hr Guest 112
Kids First 5 hr Guest 3
creepy guy at the city pool 5 hr Guest 2
Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 8 hr Maybelle 29,113
AR Arkansas Hunting Rights Amendment (Oct '10) 9 hr I am woman 3,835
Leann cates 13 hr guest 4
•••
•••