More than 1,000 dead birds fall from sky in Ark

Jan 2, 2011 | Posted by: Inisa Love | Full story: news.yahoo.com

BEEBE, Ark. Wildlife officials are trying to determine what caused more than 1,000 blackbirds to die and fall from the sky over an Arkansas town.

The Arkansas Game and Fish Commission said Saturday that it began receiving reports about the dead birds about 11:30 p.m. the previous night. The birds fell over a 1-mile area of Beebe, and an aerial survey indicated that no other dead birds were found outside of that area.
Comments
8,041 - 8,060 of 9,830 Comments Last updated 8 min ago
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Raptor in Michigan wrote:
<quoted text>
Today was sausage, thank you. You're forgetting something; I'm not against hunting. I know full well that someone else kills the animals I eat. I'm against killing, for the most part, when the purpose has nothing to do with someones survival.
Please clarify "for the most part". Thanks.

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>Please clarify "for the most part". Thanks.
Other than for food, self-defense or defense of ones family or animals, the only other time I can condone killing is in cases when a non-native species is wreaking havoc on native ecosystems or native wildlife and there is no other means of control, i.e., feral cats, feral hogs, zebra mussels, Burmese Pythons.....

"God gave me a gift and I use it."
God gave me a gift too; The gift of life. I believe life is precious and I defend life.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
Other than for food, self-defense or defense of ones family or animals, the only other time I can condone killing is in cases when a non-native species is wreaking havoc on native ecosystems or native wildlife and there is no other means of control, i.e., feral cats, feral hogs, zebra mussels, Burmese Pythons.....
God gave me a gift too; The gift of life. I believe life is precious and I defend life.
So you agree coyotes should be exterminated. Thanks!

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>So you agree coyotes should be exterminated. Thanks!
Coyotes are a NATIVE predator in your area. I do NOT condone killing native animals, unless you EAT them or one is trying to kill you or a family member.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
Coyotes are a NATIVE predator in your area. I do NOT condone killing native animals, unless you EAT them or one is trying to kill you or a family member.
Native from what time period? White man is not native to this country, neither is green grass or those dogs you sleep with. What gives you the right to choose what lives and what dies?
robin

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

I counted more than that
martha

Cabot, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Black bird pue
Churmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
i explaned to you before my farm is my ecosystem. If I dont want varmits like coyote raccoon opossom armadillo dogs cats ect roaming around spreading worms & disese destroying the frog eggs in the spring- nest of birds rabbitt,s ect. Im perfectly legally & moraly justified in doing the extermination. On another note. We have killed two young pigs reciently. they weighed about 150 lbs. I skinned them out and one I made whole hog sausage out of. The other I have the hams & bacon in brine cure and made ribs & pork chops. I boiled the entrals heads & other waste parts till it fell of the bone. the resulting (cheese) is put in ouart containers and it congealed. I feed that to my chickens and dogs. The bones are run through a shredder and added to the compost heap. The big commercial slaughter facilities do the same thing and make hot dogs spam and canned weenies. Like the kid stated in the movie Sling Blade. Ouote(My daddy says that stuff is made from peckers & lips!!!

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>Native from what time period? White man is not native to this country, neither is green grass or those dogs you sleep with. What gives you the right to choose what lives and what dies?
Man (some men anyway) does more damage than other alien species, but we aren't allowed to kill them, are we?

I'm not a huge fan of lawns either. I have very little. Just enough to keep the septic area clear and give my dogs a place to run, free of obstacles. Large expanses of lawn support nothing but earthworms and grubs and maybe a Killdeer.

I prefer native ecosystems teeming with wildlife and birdsong. Give me a forest, over-grown field, prairie, grassland or desert habitat with a healthy, diversified flora and fauna and I'm happy.

The dogs I sleep with aren't hurting the environment or destroying wildlife. I do not let them kill native animals.... to the best of my ability. I even check the yard for baby birds on the ground in spring and summer.

You ask "What gives you the right to choose what lives and what dies?"
I ask that of YOU, Dear.

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> i explaned to you before my farm is my ecosystem. If I dont want varmits like coyote raccoon opossom armadillo dogs cats ect roaming around spreading worms & disese destroying the frog eggs in the spring- nest of birds rabbitt,s ect. Im perfectly legally & moraly justified in doing the extermination. On another note. We have killed two young pigs reciently. they weighed about 150 lbs. I skinned them out and one I made whole hog sausage out of. The other I have the hams & bacon in brine cure and made ribs & pork chops. I boiled the entrals heads & other waste parts till it fell of the bone. the resulting (cheese) is put in ouart containers and it congealed. I feed that to my chickens and dogs. The bones are run through a shredder and added to the compost heap. The big commercial slaughter facilities do the same thing and make hot dogs spam and canned weenies. Like the kid stated in the movie Sling Blade. Ouote(My daddy says that stuff is made from peckers & lips!!!
"I dont want varmits like coyote raccoon opossom armadillo dogs cats ect roaming around spreading worms & disese"
Your farm animals do. The animals you don't catch do. The bunnies you like do too. What's the difference?

"destroying the frog eggs in the spring- nest of birds rabbitt,s ect."
You defend birds, but birds also eat frog eggs and frogs. Frogs will eat birds too, btw. You cannot change the circle of life.
http://www.rubythroat.org/QuestionsPredators0...

The predators you kill keep the prey species you want healthy.
How many blind House Finches do you have? Mycoplasma Conjunctivitis will spread rapidly among the birds if the sick ones aren't weeded out by the predators.

The pig meat does sound delicious though.:)
Maybe I'll let you cook my breakfast the next time I'm in your area.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

<quoted text>
Man (some men anyway) does more damage than other alien species, but we aren't allowed to kill them, are we?
I'm not a huge fan of lawns either. I have very little. Just enough to keep the septic area clear and give my dogs a place to run, free of obstacles. Large expanses of lawn support nothing but earthworms and grubs and maybe a Killdeer.
I prefer native ecosystems teeming with wildlife and birdsong. Give me a forest, over-grown field, prairie, grassland or desert habitat with a healthy, diversified flora and fauna and I'm happy.
The dogs I sleep with aren't hurting the environment or destroying wildlife. I do not let them kill native animals.... to the best of my ability. I even check the yard for baby birds on the ground in spring and summer.
You ask "What gives you the right to choose what lives and what dies?"
I ask that of YOU, Dear.
I told you God blessed me with a gift. Your dogs don't create dog runs, trails that beat down the grass, and weeds down to dirt? I live in the desert with the forest 10 minutes away. I can go from 4,000 feet of mesquite to over 9,000 feet of Aspen in 15 minutes. My home is decorated in both green grass and desert landscaping. I have the best of both worlds. I just wish I had the lakes and ponds like old Churm has there in Arkansas. I remember you talked about your dog chasing a native rabbit. You can't prevent that death, it's going to happen. I used to shoot rabbits with a BB gun on my front lawn. They would eat the grass in a circle all the way down to pure dirt. My wife and son got upset at me one day for killing bunnies so I stopped two years ago. Now I got bare spots all over the lawn, a lawn that waas once the best lawn and greenest grass for miles around. I have rabbits all over the place, even in the back yard where the dogs are too old now to chase them off. This spring I will thin many of those bunnies out with the BB gun.
fisher smith

Oklahoma City, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Dave Miller wrote:
You guys need to have them birds tested and don't leave it all to the government .
you cares
Goodbye

Edgewood, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

There is no purgatory. After death, there is only Heaven or Hell.
Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> I will probably wind up in some type of purgatory being attacked over & over by the varmits I dispatched. And Im not a christan.

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>I told you God blessed me with a gift. Your dogs don't create dog runs, trails that beat down the grass, and weeds down to dirt? I live in the desert with the forest 10 minutes away. I can go from 4,000 feet of mesquite to over 9,000 feet of Aspen in 15 minutes. My home is decorated in both green grass and desert landscaping. I have the best of both worlds. I just wish I had the lakes and ponds like old Churm has there in Arkansas. I remember you talked about your dog chasing a native rabbit. You can't prevent that death, it's going to happen. I used to shoot rabbits with a BB gun on my front lawn. They would eat the grass in a circle all the way down to pure dirt. My wife and son got upset at me one day for killing bunnies so I stopped two years ago. Now I got bare spots all over the lawn, a lawn that waas once the best lawn and greenest grass for miles around. I have rabbits all over the place, even in the back yard where the dogs are too old now to chase them off. This spring I will thin many of those bunnies out with the BB gun.
Yeah, my dogs have trails where they run and no grass grows there anymore. That's good. Less grass for me to mow saves me time and energy and reduces the need to buy gas for the mower. A win/win for me, my finances and the environment.

I said "to the best of my ability" as far as not letting the dogs kill wildlife. Most of the time animals can get to the fence and go through it (it's wide square chicken wire) before the dogs ever catch them. I can count on two hands the number of animal kills from my dogs in 23 years of owning 6 different dogs. Victims were mostly rabbits, moles and snakes. Nothing is ever full-proof aside from not having dogs. Unlike cats, dogs don't live just to kill.

"I just wish I had the lakes and ponds like old Churm has there in Arkansas."
Old Churm also has water snakes in those lakes and ponds. When we stayed at Diamond Crater State Park, I took the dogs swimming in the lake there. The next day, I was in the area walking alone and there were about 10 snakes swimming right where I had the dogs the day before that.

Now if you want NICE ponds and lakes, with loons instead of snakes, you need to check out Northern MI!

"a lawn that waas once the best lawn and greenest grass for miles around."
Oh, so you're one of those that wants to compete with the Joneses,(and import Great Lakes water to your region) eh? Not me. My goal is to attract native MI wildlife, maintain our natural heritage, and come home to my sanctuary after a hard days work. Native vegetation is adapted to the climate and needs little to no maintenance, no matter what the weather. That holds true no matter where you live.

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Goodbye wrote:
There is no purgatory. After death, there is only Heaven or Hell.<quoted text>
Churm can believe whatever he wants.
How do you explain ghosts and hauntings? Spirits that are stuck between here and there seemingly not wanting to leave?
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

<quoted text>
Yeah, my dogs have trails where they run and no grass grows there anymore. That's good. Less grass for me to mow saves me time and energy and reduces the need to buy gas for the mower. A win/win for me, my finances and the environment.
I said "to the best of my ability" as far as not letting the dogs kill wildlife. Most of the time animals can get to the fence and go through it (it's wide square chicken wire) before the dogs ever catch them. I can count on two hands the number of animal kills from my dogs in 23 years of owning 6 different dogs. Victims were mostly rabbits, moles and snakes. Nothing is ever full-proof aside from not having dogs. Unlike cats, dogs don't live just to kill.
"I just wish I had the lakes and ponds like old Churm has there in Arkansas."
Old Churm also has water snakes in those lakes and ponds. When we stayed at Diamond Crater State Park, I took the dogs swimming in the lake there. The next day, I was in the area walking alone and there were about 10 snakes swimming right where I had the dogs the day before that.
Now if you want NICE ponds and lakes, with loons instead of snakes, you need to check out Northern MI!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =OQEolYED0v8XX
"a lawn that waas once the best lawn and greenest grass for miles around."
Oh, so you're one of those that wants to compete with the Joneses,(and import Great Lakes water to your region) eh? Not me. My goal is to attract native MI wildlife, maintain our natural heritage, and come home to my sanctuary after a hard days work. Native vegetation is adapted to the climate and needs little to no maintenance, no matter what the weather. That holds true no matter where you live.
Competing with the Jonses? I don't know where you got that from. I do want a nice place to raise my family in. My life is no longer about needs, it's all about WANTS!

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>Competing with the Jonses? I don't know where you got that from. I do want a nice place to raise my family in. My life is no longer about needs, it's all about WANTS!
I got that from this sentence: "a lawn that waas once the best lawn and greenest grass for miles around."
Why not just say "I had really green, lush grass?"
By saying the "best and greenest" for miles confirms the fact that you were "competing" with others.

"I do want a nice place to raise my family in."
Wanting a nice place and working towards that is commendable. But a nice lawn doesn't determine the quality of a family's upbringing, or what constitutes an "nice place." These are VERY NICE places with little to no grass needed:
http://st.houzz.com/simgs/d1517bf00c927385_15...
http://images.landscapingnetwork.com/pictures...

My cousin lives in Tucson and has three kids. Not one blade of grass grows in her yard. It's all desert landscaping and quite nice. She doesn't have to fret over how often she has to water her yard to keep things alive.

"My life is no longer about needs, it's all about WANTS!"
So is mine. And my WANTS are what's good for the animals, the environment and ultimately, people.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

<quoted text>
I got that from this sentence: "a lawn that waas once the best lawn and greenest grass for miles around."
Why not just say "I had really green, lush grass?"
By saying the "best and greenest" for miles confirms the fact that you were "competing" with others.
"I do want a nice place to raise my family in."
Wanting a nice place and working towards that is commendable. But a nice lawn doesn't determine the quality of a family's upbringing, or what constitutes an "nice place." These are VERY NICE places with little to no grass needed:
http://st.houzz.com/simgs/d1517bf00c927385_15...
http://images.landscapingnetwork.com/pictures...
My cousin lives in Tucson and has three kids. Not one blade of grass grows in her yard. It's all desert landscaping and quite nice. She doesn't have to fret over how often she has to water her yard to keep things alive.
"My life is no longer about needs, it's all about WANTS!"
So is mine. And my WANTS are what's good for the animals, the environment and ultimately, people.
"By saying the "best and greenest" for miles confirms the fact that you were "competing" with others."

Really, you got that out of that sentence? You really need a reading comprehension class. If I were your parents I would sue your High School for that lack of education you received. What I said was a FACT, pure and simple. Some people want grass so their kids can play on it instead of rock and cactus. Not everybody is a lazy deadbeat that doesn't more their grass and pull their weeds just so they can blame it on the natural state of things. My WANTS are for what is BEST for me and my Family, PEOPLE first!

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>"By saying the "best and greenest" for miles confirms the fact that you were "competing" with others."
Really, you got that out of that sentence? You really need a reading comprehension class. If I were your parents I would sue your High School for that lack of education you received. What I said was a FACT, pure and simple. Some people want grass so their kids can play on it instead of rock and cactus. Not everybody is a lazy deadbeat that doesn't more their grass and pull their weeds just so they can blame it on the natural state of things. My WANTS are for what is BEST for me and my Family, PEOPLE first!
Exactly! PEOPLE need and want the water in the Great Lakes to stay in the Great Lakes. You CHOSE to live in the desert where there is no water. Now suffer! Don't think you can take the fresh water that provides sustainence and fish for millions of people in the region and have it delivered to a desert environment that doesn't have grass growing naturally, just so a self-designated killer can have greener grass than his neighbors.

Minimal mowing has NOTHING to do with laziness. The more grass I have, the fewer birds I have. I want my yard full of birds in all seasons! The more weeds I have, the larger winter bird population and diversity. It is a CHOICE. You do believe in choices,(just as long as they don't infringe on another persons rights), don't you?
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

<quoted text>
Exactly! PEOPLE need and want the water in the Great Lakes to stay in the Great Lakes. You CHOSE to live in the desert where there is no water. Now suffer! Don't think you can take the fresh water that provides sustainence and fish for millions of people in the region and have it delivered to a desert environment that doesn't have grass growing naturally, just so a self-designated killer can have greener grass than his neighbors.
Minimal mowing has NOTHING to do with laziness. The more grass I have, the fewer birds I have. I want my yard full of birds in all seasons! The more weeds I have, the larger winter bird population and diversity. It is a CHOICE. You do believe in choices,(just as long as they don't infringe on another persons rights), don't you?
WOW! You started drinking early today. Who said anything about taking your stinky lakes away from you? There are lakes all around where I live. I am an avid fly fisherman. I love the rainbow trout we have here in my area. My place also runs on its own well so I can water as much as I want any time I want. I live in the Tularosa basin so I can hunt and kill, elk, oryx, mule deer, white tail, Mountain Lion, Coyote, quail. Barbary Sheep, Antelope, Black bear, turkey, Javelina, bob cat and the list goes on and on. Keep your lakes I will be fine! Now go mow your weeds!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Pocahontas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 14 min Raz 29,509
wreck 48 min how stupid 27
Wildlife & Game Officer 3 hr Glen Declerck 1
Kids First 8 hr Nobody 6
Hospital Tax 18 hr outoftowner 56
hydrotemp? (Oct '09) 22 hr Noneofurbusiness 83
school Fri curious 7

Search the Pocahontas Forum:
•••
•••