More than 1,000 dead birds fall from sky in Ark

Jan 2, 2011 Full story: news.yahoo.com 10,149

BEEBE, Ark. Wildlife officials are trying to determine what caused more than 1,000 blackbirds to die and fall from the sky over an Arkansas town.

The Arkansas Game and Fish Commission said Saturday that it began receiving reports about the dead birds about 11:30 p.m. the previous night. The birds fell over a 1-mile area of Beebe, and an aerial survey indicated that no other dead birds were found outside of that area. Full Story
fifty1fifty

North Little Rock, AR

#8573 Jan 22, 2013
I think some Bald Eagles are around Jonesboro recently. I heard they taste like Condor?(:
Amy

Conway, AR

#8575 Jan 23, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>I used to go frog gigging with my grandfather in Arkansas. Those were the days.........

God rest his soul.
:) I LOVE frog huntin

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#8577 Jan 23, 2013
Tonight I'm eating bird. Tomorrow I'm eating fish. So if you don't here back from me tonight. Then you know it was the birds.

Bellevue, WA

#8578 Jan 23, 2013
weird

Bellevue, WA

#8580 Jan 24, 2013
strange
Jinny

Oklahoma City, OK

#8581 Jan 28, 2013
seen some dead ones in beebe by the college
cletus

United States

#8582 Jan 29, 2013
I saw that
Tweetie

Greenbrier, AR

#8583 Jan 29, 2013
I tought I saw a puddy tat

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

#8584 Jan 29, 2013
Tweetie wrote:
I tought I saw a puddy tat
You did....FAR too many of them!
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2013/01/29...
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#8586 Jan 30, 2013
Cats a good for the enviornment.

SE Michigan

#8587 Jan 30, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
You would be correct IF "good for the environment" meant taking a non-native predatory species from another continent, bringing them to a land where they never were historically, and releasing them into the wild to reproduce largely unchecked by native predators, such as wolves and cougars, many of which were eradicated by man, and letting the introduced species indiscriminately kill native species, such as songbirds, by the billions that have few, if any, defenses against them; while the introduced species, at the same time, drastically reduces the number of prey species, such as mice and songbirds, causing our native predators, such as hawks and owls, to decline because of the shortage of prey caused by the alien.
guess who

Mountain Home, AR

#8588 Jan 30, 2013
I hit the jackpot with my trapping the last few days. I caught a opossum. a male fox. a beagle hound. Two large black mouth cur & very a large black furry dog. those dogs where about to harass my livestock ! Im certian they Where about to? Why else would they be digging & ducking under my woven wire fence and tresspassig on my land? I highly reccommend the ten inch body grip traps they are very effictive. No birds where harmed in my trapping adventures.
guess who

Mountain Home, AR

#8589 Jan 30, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
Its unbelieveable but I havent caught a feral housecat in my traps in a considerable long time.
Here I am again

Fort Smith, AR

#8590 Jan 30, 2013
are we sure those birds were hit by a car driven by a drunk news anchor?
Brown Girl in the Ring

UK

#8591 Jan 31, 2013
guess who wrote:
I hit the jackpot with my trapping the last few days. I caught a opossum. a male fox. a beagle hound. Two large black mouth cur & very a large black furry dog. those dogs where about to harass my livestock ! Im certian they Where about to? Why else would they be digging & ducking under my woven wire fence and tresspassig on my land? I highly reccommend the ten inch body grip traps they are very effictive. No birds where harmed in my trapping adventures.
Ouch! You horrible person.
guess who

Mountain Home, AR

#8592 Jan 31, 2013
Brown Girl in the Ring wrote:
<quoted text>
Ouch! You horrible person.
Ill tell you who is horrible. Irresponsible pet ownwer,s who let their cats & dogs run at large. Ive had cattle goats poultry ect. maimed and killed by dogs. keep Fido & Sylvester on your own property and their safe from my traps.

Oklahoma City, OK

#8593 Jan 31, 2013
guess who wrote:
<quoted text> Ill tell you who is horrible. Irresponsible pet ownwer,s who let their cats & dogs run at large. Ive had cattle goats poultry ect. maimed and killed by dogs. keep Fido & Sylvester on your own property and their safe from my traps.
I don't blame you one bit. People should see after their pets. If one comes on my sons property it's dead by lead poisoning. He has cows, his own dogs and chickens. He doesn't want someone else's dogs or cats around either.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#8594 Jan 31, 2013
Raptor in Michigan wrote:
<quoted text>
You would be correct IF "good for the environment" meant taking a non-native predatory species from another continent, bringing them to a land where they never were historically, and releasing them into the wild to reproduce largely unchecked by native predators, such as wolves and cougars, many of which were eradicated by man, and letting the introduced species indiscriminately kill native species, such as songbirds, by the billions that have few, if any, defenses against them; while the introduced species, at the same time, drastically reduces the number of prey species, such as mice and songbirds, causing our native predators, such as hawks and owls, to decline because of the shortage of prey caused by the alien.
So the cat is like the white man, the horse, the pig, the cow, the oryx, green grass, you see where this is going, I can go ALL DAY!

SE Michigan

#8595 Jan 31, 2013
guess who wrote:
Go back on your word much? This post qualifies you to run for political office.

SE Michigan

#8596 Jan 31, 2013
guess who wrote:
<quoted text> Ill tell you who is horrible. Irresponsible pet ownwer,s who let their cats & dogs run at large. Ive had cattle goats poultry ect. maimed and killed by dogs. keep Fido & Sylvester on your own property and their safe from my traps.
My backyard is all fenced in. Stuff happens though. A few weeks ago there was an opossum in the front yard. One of my dogs got so excited, he ran right through the fence ripping it from anchors where it's attached to the side of the house. Luckily, my bf heard the commotion and got the dog back while he was still in the front yard and before he hurt the animal. I was at work when it happened and had NO CONTROL over the situation.

I consider myself a responsible pet owner. My dog certainly would NOT deserve to be killed if he entered someone elses property. NO dog deserves to die for it, and the owners don't deserve the grief they would feel at the loss of a pet in that manner.

Repeat offenses may be cause for more debate, but not an innocent dog that just happens by ...by accident. I would be devasted if I came home after a hard days work and find out someone killed my dog. Even worse would be never knowing if my dog was dead or alive.

I hope you contact the owners and let them know what happened. That's the least you can do to spare someone a life of hell always wondering if their dog is hurt or in pain somewhere. Put their mind at rest, Churm.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pocahontas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Work needed for Christmas 2 hr Againstthemachine 18
nypd 4 hr Support 1
Chicken Plant 4 hr Guest 4
Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 4 hr Bowser45 30,440
Do the theatre still have good shows? 4 hr the truth 12
I must be obsolete 9 hr over the hill 5
Pee Wee 13 hr John Kirk 3
Pocahontas Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web