More than 1,000 dead birds fall from sky in Ark

Jan 2, 2011 Full story: news.yahoo.com 10,144

BEEBE, Ark. Ė Wildlife officials are trying to determine what caused more than 1,000 blackbirds to die and fall from the sky over an Arkansas town.

The Arkansas Game and Fish Commission said Saturday that it began receiving reports about the dead birds about 11:30 p.m. the previous night. The birds fell over a 1-mile area of Beebe, and an aerial survey indicated that no other dead birds were found outside of that area. Full Story
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#8262 Nov 20, 2012
Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> All the Mamby Pamby bleeding heart loonies have energized and egged me up. I have become really motivated! Im going to agressively trap as many furbearers (Varmits) especially coyotes as I legally can. Ive got all my steel traps under the rabbitt hutches getting scented with rabbit smell. Ill handle them with gloves and set in every den & hollow log I can find. Im gonna take my boat to the river and try and set on every log and likely place I possibly can. I wont even have to skin them out to sell them. Just stuff the carcass in a feed sack and stick it in the freezer. When I get a freezer full I take the whole lot to a buyer. I gotta buy a trapping permit tomorrow.
I wish I was there to help you. I don't even skin them anymore. I remember at one time many years ago we got up to $75 a pelt depending on the color and condition. Now they are not worth anything here. The mamby pamby tree huggers have made sure of that. I shoot them and leave them right there. Buzzards got to eat same as worms!

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

#8263 Nov 20, 2012
WARROR wrote:
<quoted text>I have specific instructions on the breakdown of all assetts! I don't plan on going anywhere in the beyond any time soon!
That wasn't implying that you'd "go somewhere."
Rear end accidents are the person in the rears fault.($,$$$,$$ Get it now?:)

SE Michigan

#8264 Nov 20, 2012
Oops, I forgot one zero!

SE Michigan

#8265 Nov 20, 2012
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>I wish I was there to help you. I don't even skin them anymore. I remember at one time many years ago we got up to $75 a pelt depending on the color and condition. Now they are not worth anything here. The mamby pamby tree huggers have made sure of that. I shoot them and leave them right there. Buzzards got to eat same as worms!
"The mamby pamby tree huggers have made sure of that."
Translated: Since people have educated themselves, and stopped being mean and barbaric, there doesn't seem to be much of a demand anymore.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#8266 Nov 20, 2012
Raptor in Michigan wrote:
<quoted text>
"The mamby pamby tree huggers have made sure of that."
Translated: Since people have educated themselves, and stopped being mean and barbaric, there doesn't seem to be much of a demand anymore.
Translated: since American fur is not the fad currently the market has dropped. It's a shame the mamby pamby people will decimate one species in an attempt to save a species that doesn't need to be saved! But hey coyotes are cute, they look like little dogs, we have to save them. These are the same people who condone MILLIONS of abortions yearly!

It's a crying shame I have to leave a perfectly good animal on the ground after I kill it. Maybe I will open a restaraunt one day if you know what I mean!

SE Michigan

#8267 Nov 20, 2012
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>Translated: since American fur is not the fad currently the market has dropped. It's a shame the mamby pamby people will decimate one species in an attempt to save a species that doesn't need to be saved! But hey coyotes are cute, they look like little dogs, we have to save them. These are the same people who condone MILLIONS of abortions yearly!
It's a crying shame I have to leave a perfectly good animal on the ground after I kill it. Maybe I will open a restaraunt one day if you know what I mean!
I don't believe for a minute ANY species will be "decimated" if massive coyote slaughter isn't carried out. Notice I said "massive coyote slaughter." That is far different than regulated hunting to manage a species or maintain a healthy ecosystem.

Yes, people do look at them like dogs, which they are- myself included. I've had this same argument with people about wolves. They wish they had coyotes back. Why can't people just leave nature take it's course? Nature knows best. Decimating a predator is just as bad as a predator decimating another species, isn't it? They realized the damage that can happen throughout the whole ecosystem in the absence of predators.

And I don't condone abortions either.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#8268 Nov 20, 2012
<quoted text>
I don't believe for a minute ANY species will be "decimated" if massive coyote slaughter isn't carried out. Notice I said "massive coyote slaughter." That is far different than regulated hunting to manage a species or maintain a healthy ecosystem.
Yes, people do look at them like dogs, which they are- myself included. I've had this same argument with people about wolves. They wish they had coyotes back. Why can't people just leave nature take it's course? Nature knows best. Decimating a predator is just as bad as a predator decimating another species, isn't it? They realized the damage that can happen throughout the whole ecosystem in the absence of predators.
And I don't condone abortions either.
We have been trying to eradicate the coyote for decades. Can't do it. We have watched our deer populations dwindle to very low numbers because of coyotes and drought. It's not all coyotes but in hard times these dogs are taking their toll on the deer. I prefer to save the deer right now!
fifty1fifty

Sherwood, AR

#8269 Nov 20, 2012
<quoted text>
I've hit a woman in the rear-end a time or 2 myself more ways than one even?
Churmudgeon

Horseshoe Bend, AR

#8271 Nov 20, 2012
<quoted text>
Not necessairly.when the jury hears that you caused the wreck because you though you might committ road kill things might no go your way. Especially If there happens to be a Churmudgeon on the jury. Besides I dont know about warrior but I keep enough distance betweem me and the car if front that if they where to quickly slam on their brakes I would have time to react. Comes from years of driving semi and having to watch out for four wheelers that could stop much quicker than a 80,000 lb semi. I ran over amost every small critter possible with a semi truck. I never swerved or hit my brakes. I wasnt gonna take a chance wrecking or flat spotting expensive tires. I lost count of the number dogs cats deer opossum racoon ect. I got one mountian lion and dozens of coyotes and a few fox. I seen a coyote run over on Hwy 67 right in downtown St Louis Mo. a couple of years ago here in Arkansas a small girl was run over & killed. her mother had pulled over to save a turtle crossing the interstate. the little girl darted out into the road and was killed. Too bad someone like me hadnt come along before hand and made a turtle pancake might have saved a life? Another woman was driving a van full of children and swerved to miss a dog. she over turned in a deep ditch full of water and all the children drowned. The Idiot woman lived. To bad someone hadnt already flattened the dog.

SE Michigan

#8272 Nov 20, 2012
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>We have been trying to eradicate the coyote for decades. Can't do it. We have watched our deer populations dwindle to very low numbers because of coyotes and drought. It's not all coyotes but in hard times these dogs are taking their toll on the deer. I prefer to save the deer right now!
If you eradicate the coyote, the deer may increase temporarily, but I guarantee it won't last. The deer will eradicate their own food source, or they will get diseased. And they will start killing people. It's happened to an extent here. Like I said, we don't have many coyotes. We have ALOT of deer. We have ALOT of car/deer accidents. We have parks fencing certain areas so the deer can't get to the vegetation because they are decimating the forest understory. We also have thousands of deer dropping dead from disease all over the lower part of the state.
http://www.michiganradio.org/post/michigan-hu...
"Russ Mason is the state Wildlife Division Chief. He says many hunters donít know much about the disease, which may have killed as many as 50 thousand deer this fall."
Never wish too hard for something. You just might get it.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#8273 Nov 20, 2012
<quoted text>
If you eradicate the coyote, the deer may increase temporarily, but I guarantee it won't last. The deer will eradicate their own food source, or they will get diseased. And they will start killing people. It's happened to an extent here. Like I said, we don't have many coyotes. We have ALOT of deer. We have ALOT of car/deer accidents. We have parks fencing certain areas so the deer can't get to the vegetation because they are decimating the forest understory. We also have thousands of deer dropping dead from disease all over the lower part of the state.
http://www.michiganradio.org/post/michigan-hu...
"Russ Mason is the state Wildlife Division Chief. He says many hunters donít know much about the disease, which may have killed as many as 50 thousand deer this fall."
Never wish too hard for something. You just might get it.
Sounds like Russ is not doing a very good job of managing wildlife. Issue more hunting tags and extend the hunting season. Lower the cost of tags for both resident and non-residents and the number of deer will remain in check.

SE Michigan

#8274 Nov 20, 2012
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>Sounds like Russ is not doing a very good job of managing wildlife. Issue more hunting tags and extend the hunting season. Lower the cost of tags for both resident and non-residents and the number of deer will remain in check.
The amount of tags was only reduced this year after all the deaths. I doon't know what the number was before now.

SE Michigan

#8277 Nov 21, 2012
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>Why are tags being reduced if the population is out of control?
It was reduced because so many have died, and they probably anticipate many more dying.
Old Army

Greenbrier, AR

#8278 Nov 21, 2012
Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> Not necessairly.when the jury hears that you caused the wreck because you though you might committ road kill things might no go your way. Especially If there happens to be a Churmudgeon on the jury. Besides I dont know about warrior but I keep enough distance betweem me and the car if front that if they where to quickly slam on their brakes I would have time to react. Comes from years of driving semi and having to watch out for four wheelers that could stop much quicker than a 80,000 lb semi. I ran over amost every small critter possible with a semi truck. I never swerved or hit my brakes. I wasnt gonna take a chance wrecking or flat spotting expensive tires. I lost count of the number dogs cats deer opossum racoon ect. I got one mountian lion and dozens of coyotes and a few fox. I seen a coyote run over on Hwy 67 right in downtown St Louis Mo. a couple of years ago here in Arkansas a small girl was run over & killed. her mother had pulled over to save a turtle crossing the interstate. the little girl darted out into the road and was killed. Too bad someone like me hadnt come along before hand and made a turtle pancake might have saved a life? Another woman was driving a van full of children and swerved to miss a dog. she over turned in a deep ditch full of water and all the children drowned. The Idiot woman lived. To bad someone hadnt already flattened the dog.
My brother, also a truck driver, said that the three leading causes of most accidents are:
1. Following
2. Too
3. Close

SE Michigan

#8279 Nov 21, 2012
Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> Not necessairly.when the jury hears that you caused the wreck because you though you might committ road kill things might no go your way. Especially If there happens to be a Churmudgeon on the jury. Besides I dont know about warrior but I keep enough distance betweem me and the car if front that if they where to quickly slam on their brakes I would have time to react. Comes from years of driving semi and having to watch out for four wheelers that could stop much quicker than a 80,000 lb semi. I ran over amost every small critter possible with a semi truck. I never swerved or hit my brakes. I wasnt gonna take a chance wrecking or flat spotting expensive tires. I lost count of the number dogs cats deer opossum racoon ect. I got one mountian lion and dozens of coyotes and a few fox. I seen a coyote run over on Hwy 67 right in downtown St Louis Mo. a couple of years ago here in Arkansas a small girl was run over & killed. her mother had pulled over to save a turtle crossing the interstate. the little girl darted out into the road and was killed. Too bad someone like me hadnt come along before hand and made a turtle pancake might have saved a life? Another woman was driving a van full of children and swerved to miss a dog. she over turned in a deep ditch full of water and all the children drowned. The Idiot woman lived. To bad someone hadnt already flattened the dog.
<shaking my head in disbelief>
WOW! So much death and destruction in your life, Churm. It's no wonder you've toughened up to the point of being heartless. I don't wish death on ANY of the creatures you just mentioned. Not even the humans (as some here might think)! Like a said before, I belief ALL life is precious and God put every living thing here for a reason and he loves us all, human AND animal.

I have saved a few turtles myself, as well as a few songbirds along the Gulf Coast highway that were exhausted from the long water crossing during spring migration and landed on the road because it was the first bit of land they came to. Tried to go back and save a bat once, but it was too late. I would try to help any creature in immediate danger, but I wouldn't risk my life, or another life to do it.

It wouldn't matter what the jury thought if I braked for an animal. The law states it's the person behind that is at fault in an accident. Whether it's an animal or a small child, someone should be able to stop fast if they need to.

I once had a woman jump in front of me late at night. She was hiding behind her car on the shoulder of the road and I swear she was trying to kill herself. Luckily, I missed.
Churmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

#8281 Nov 21, 2012
<quoted text>
<shaking my head in disbelief>
WOW! So much death and destruction in your life, Churm. It's no wonder you've toughened up to the point of being heartless. I don't wish death on ANY of the creatures you just mentioned. Not even the humans (as some here might think)! Like a said before, I belief ALL life is precious and God put every living thing here for a reason and he loves us all, human AND animal.
I have saved a few turtles myself, as well as a few songbirds along the Gulf Coast highway that were exhausted from the long water crossing during spring migration and landed on the road because it was the first bit of land they came to. Tried to go back and save a bat once, but it was too late. I would try to help any creature in immediate danger, but I wouldn't risk my life, or another life to do it.
It wouldn't matter what the jury thought if I braked for an animal. The law states it's the person behind that is at fault in an accident. Whether it's an animal or a small child, someone should be able to stop fast if they need to.
I once had a woman jump in front of me late at night. She was hiding behind her car on the shoulder of the road and I swear she was trying to kill herself. Luckily, I missed.
way back in the sixties The Us goverment gave me a free vacation in southeast asia. It was loasd of fun got to drink free beer smoke pot and shoot free bulletts. they taught me how to kill varmits. and I was pretty good at it. my so called supeior officers where scared shitless of me and my buddies. they sent me back stateside because I was having too much fun.
Churmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

#8282 Nov 21, 2012
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>Churm would have nailed her then he would have backed over her just to teach her a lesson! LOL!
Ive never erer came close to hittig a human. However I once had a nite time job driving a wrecker on weekends near a big city. and Ive seen a few that where run over. The worst was some idiot nicknamed Dood that was on a bycycle he tried to ride under a semi trailer that was going through an intersection. tried to dart between the rear of the semi tractor and the trailer wheels. Him and the bycycle was wound around and between the trailer wheels. We had to lift up the rear of the trailer. and then use a big 1 inch air impact to remove the lug nuts on the budd wheels. and remove the wheels & tires so we could remove the parts. For some reason everyone was sick & puking but me. It didnt faze me a bit I took the wheels off scraped it into a big rubber sheet and took a steam cleaner- power washer and washed off the truck & wheels. Washed the blood & goo into the road ditch.I was wearing a hazmat suit and didnt get any on my body.any way it was found that this Idiot Dood has sussfully pulled of this same stunt a few times. That mistake in timing made shure he didnt do that no more times. and during this whole adventure not one black dird was harmed. cant make the same statement about any black Dood,s !
Churmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

#8283 Nov 21, 2012
Old Army wrote:
<quoted text>
My brother, also a truck driver, said that the three leading causes of most accidents are:
1. Following
2. Too
3. Close
That and Driving too fast.

SE Michigan

#8285 Nov 21, 2012
Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
way back in the sixties The Us goverment gave me a free vacation in southeast asia. It was loasd of fun got to drink free beer smoke pot and shoot free bulletts. they taught me how to kill varmits. and I was pretty good at it. my so called supeior officers where scared shitless of me and my buddies. they sent me back stateside because I was having too much fun.

Ive never erer came close to hittig a human. However I once had a nite time job driving a wrecker on weekends near a big city. and Ive seen a few that where run over. The worst was some idiot nicknamed Dood that was on a bycycle he tried to ride under a semi trailer that was going through an intersection. tried to dart between the rear of the semi tractor and the trailer wheels. Him and the bycycle was wound around and between the trailer wheels. We had to lift up the rear of the trailer. and then use a big 1 inch air impact to remove the lug nuts on the budd wheels. and remove the wheels & tires so we could remove the parts. For some reason everyone was sick & puking but me. It didnt faze me a bit I took the wheels off scraped it into a big rubber sheet and took a steam cleaner- power washer and washed off the truck & wheels. Washed the blood & goo into the road ditch.I was wearing a hazmat suit and didnt get any on my body.any way it was found that this Idiot Dood has sussfully pulled of this same stunt a few times. That mistake in timing made shure he didnt do that no more times. and during this whole adventure not one black dird was harmed. cant make the same statement about any black Dood,s !
Did you ever think of seeking help? That might work.

SE Michigan

#8286 Nov 21, 2012
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>Well I am sort of like you. Unfortunately I have seen death and destruction up close and personal. I have seen gun shot and stabbing victims I have seen trains run over people, I have seen a chain saw cut off a mans head and plenty of machete beheadings. I have been injured at times and lucky more than not. I have seen decades of horror and even torture and I haven't lost any sleep over it in years. It's so sad that this is such a cruel world. It is unbelievable to most people what human beings can do to each other. That chapter in my life is over now. I still will not leave my house unarmed. I even carry a weapon in church. It's a cruel world out there and all I ask for is a chance when the shyt hits the fan!
I've seen all that and more. I've even seen zombies eat humans alive!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pocahontas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
hwy. 115 salvage yard 1 hr Randall Watts 2
Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 1 hr BARNEYII 30,235
Duck Hunting 3 hr Just Me 10
flair salon 3 hr taxpayer 9
mcnabb funeral home 3 hr Resident 27
Ricky Todd gates 3 hr a friend of the v... 1
bs 4 hr guy 1
Pocahontas Dating
Find my Match

Pocahontas People Search