Why is Randolph County dry?
ask and you receive

Mountain Home, AR

#21 Aug 12, 2011
admit it wrote:
<quoted text>
Not misinformation but the truth ,
So how about the truth from you ?
You must have been one of those that did everything they could to keep the people from voting.
Phil Smith holds an elected Judgeship , we are waiting to him back , neither he or Linda will win the next election.
i live in randolph county and wasn't involved in the petition drive.

here's the truth. enlighten yourself.
http://courts.arkansas.gov/court_opinions/sc/...
Ray

Bexar, AR

#22 Aug 12, 2011
Every building in this county that becomes empty is turned into a church. There is only so many people in this county, just how many churches do they want?
Shelley

Jonesboro, AR

#23 Aug 12, 2011
Well it looks to me that most on here are not opposed to the county being wet.

I think if a group were put together to get enough "legitimate" signatures we might be able to get in on the ballot.

I am honestly thinking and talking to my cousin who is an attorney,(NO not an attorney around here!!) and trying to figure out the best way to go about it.

We can sit here and do nothing or try to bring this county into the 21st century. This is a beautiful area just seems that there a few that try to run the whole thing and it is time to step up and give them a run for there money. I honestly have never lived in such a backward area. Its like I am in 1950 around here!!
wow

Mountain Home, AR

#24 Aug 12, 2011
"Every building in this county that becomes empty is turned into a church."

wanna bet some money on that post?

Buchanan Dam, TX

#25 Aug 12, 2011
Ray wrote:
just how many churches do they want?
How many can you conceive of?
wow

Mountain Home, AR

#26 Aug 12, 2011
guest wrote:
the county judge and quroum court members can put it on the ballot.(that would be the easy way
) they have no problem going thru all the work to ask for a tax increase..
"the county judge and quroum court members can put it on the ballot." you think or know? link?
Ray

Bexar, AR

#27 Aug 12, 2011
wow wrote:
"Every building in this county that becomes empty is turned into a church."
wanna bet some money on that post?
OK , not every building but lets start a list.
The place by T-Ricks, The Mobile Home place on 67 S.,The old bank building in Maynard, just to name a few.
There is around 16 thousand people in Randolph County and last year I think the church count was over 100. Churches may be good for the soul but they don't help the economy, they don't put money in the pocket, in fact they take money from the economy.
Every "church" that gets started takes another piece of property off the tax record and that places a burden on the rest of the taxpayers.
I am sure other people know of other places that have been turned into a church. Have they turned the old Waterloo building into one yet? Just checking....
Churmudgeon

Bexar, AR

#28 Aug 12, 2011
Ray wrote:
<quoted text>
The place by T-Ricks, The Mobile Home place on 67 S.,The old bank building in Maynard, just to name a few.
There is around 16 thousand people in Randolph County and last year I think the church count was over 100. Churches may be good for the soul but they don't help the economy, they don't put money in the pocket, in fact they take money from the economy.
Every "church" that gets started takes another piece of property off the tax record and that places a burden on the rest of the taxpayers.
I am sure other people know of other places that have been turned into a church. Have they turned the old Waterloo building into one yet? Just checking....
The school out out on oak ridge road has been turned into some kind of church compound?

Bexar, AR

#29 Aug 12, 2011
wow wrote:
<quoted text>"the county judge and quroum court members can put it on the ballot." you think or know? link?
i know...
they can do it the same way they put the tax increase on the ballot.

link? the arkansas municipal
wow

Mountain Home, AR

#30 Aug 12, 2011
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
i know...
you have that "arkansas municipal" link? i can't find it.

cities and counties may be able to regulate some of the rules and regs via ordinance, but i believe the original wet/dry election is regulated by state law.

have found this ar code which states -
"A petition must be signed by thirty-eight percent of the qualified electors in any given county in order to certify a “wet/dry” election." &#8194;Ark.Code Ann.§&#8194;3-8-205 (Repl.2008).

you have something that trumps it? &#8194;
Shiloh

Jonesboro, AR

#31 Aug 12, 2011
Judge Phil Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
Ask Phil Smith why he as a presiding judge stopped Sharp county voters from having the chance to vote that county wet.
Was he influenced by Missouri liquor licenses who fought against the vote?
Has he ever received political donations from liquor stores outside of Sharp county?
I don't have those answers,but he threw out pages worth of petitions because of one person who could not be proven to be a sharp county resident.
you know . they could put a CLASSY restaurant, that serves liquor too, in their hotel.
Shiloh

Jonesboro, AR

#32 Aug 12, 2011
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
i know...
Let us vote on the matter, perhaps we are more progressive than the group that wants to hold us back.
Shiloh

Jonesboro, AR

#33 Aug 12, 2011
Ray wrote:
Every building in this county that becomes empty is turned into a church. There is only so many people in this county, just how many churches do they want?
a lot of them don't stay open long, due to lack of support.
Oak ridge school a church

United States

#34 Aug 12, 2011
Ray wrote:
<quoted text>
No Tax paid because it is a Church, that has got to be a great example of misuse of the word "Church"
Shiloh

Jonesboro, AR

#35 Aug 12, 2011
Oak ridge school a church wrote:
<quoted text>
No Tax paid because it is a Church, that has got to be a great example of misuse of the word "Church"
isn't the place by t-ricks now a Hispanic restaurant ? they could use a liquor license too.
work

Mountain Home, AR

#36 Aug 12, 2011
getting it on a ballot will take a ton of effort and work. and some legal fees to cross the t's.

38% legal signatures might be do-able with a large well organized group effort.

then comes the work of actually getting it passed.
tough to outvote the elderly, conservative, and church crowds, who likely make up the majority of registered and voting votors.

also will likely see some opposition advertising and input from greene county and the state line folks. they(their lawyers) be watching the legal end of it like a hawk. similar to sharp county in '08. seems sharp didn't get enough signatures gathered in '10 to get it on the ballot.
Side Band

Jonesboro, AR

#37 Aug 12, 2011
Shelley wrote:
I have just moved to Pocahontas and am wondering just what the reason is that this county is dry.
I grew up in an area that the grocery stores and convienent stores all sold alcohol and we had no more problems that they do here. I myself enjoy a drink of wine once in a while but am not a drinker. Just seems to me that if it wasn't dry it would sure bring in more money to the area.
Are there a lot of accidents between here and the liquor stores being that most of these roads around here are so curvy. I may be off by a mile but if you can drink in some areas in this county why not all of it? Just wondering.
It's not dry it just doesn't know it.:)
and

Mountain Home, AR

#38 Aug 12, 2011
the 3 existing wet clubs might not support a wet vote/competition.
native

United States

#39 Aug 12, 2011
I heard someone from out of state make the comment that the dry counties of northeastern Arkansas are the wettest dry counties he has ever seen.
well

Mountain Home, AR

#40 Aug 12, 2011
native wrote:
I heard someone from out of state make the comment that the dry counties of northeastern Arkansas are the wettest dry counties he has ever seen.
he likely hasn't been to nwa or craighead county.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pocahontas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
New apartmens 18 min CitizenX 27
Poll Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 19 min Guest 38,275
David hart and mike skeet 46 min guest 28
Illegal Voters 1 hr better answers 15
Jeff Fultz 6 hr Guest 1
1971 lincoln continental mark 3 9 hr guest 8
Cates (Mar '09) 14 hr Whaaat 10

Pocahontas Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance