Jonesboro, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2011

Judged:

I have just moved to Pocahontas and am wondering just what the reason is that this county is dry.
I grew up in an area that the grocery stores and convienent stores all sold alcohol and we had no more problems that they do here. I myself enjoy a drink of wine once in a while but am not a drinker. Just seems to me that if it wasn't dry it would sure bring in more money to the area.
Are there a lot of accidents between here and the liquor stores being that most of these roads around here are so curvy. I may be off by a mile but if you can drink in some areas in this county why not all of it? Just wondering.

Hardinsburg, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2011

Judged:

Churches don't like alcohol. That's it.
Shelley

Jonesboro, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2011

Judged:

guest wrote:
Churches don't like alcohol. That's it.
LOL Ok...There were more churches in the town I came from than here.

But I have to admit its been like walking back in time about 30 years moving here. But it seems like a nice town.
Lol

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2011

Judged:

It's not that churches don't like alcohol around here. Its just the hypocrites that speak against alcohol and then drive to the line to get it so no one knows they drink
Ray

Ash Flat, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2011

Judged:

We are dry because if we don't have booze stores we won't have drunks. You see Randolph County is dry and we don't ever have any wrecks because of drinking. No one here drinks and everyone goes to church.
No I was just joking, its because our county does not need the massive tax money from booze.
No, not really its because some people are too uptight and want to rule the lives of others, they stick their heads up their ass and pretend everything is ok because we are dry. However you can walk from Pokie to the state line stepping on beer cans and never touch the ground.
FACT

Jonesboro, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2011

Judged:

The County was wet at one time. People voted it dry. Many people would rather see the town die out before going WET again. This is a nanny county. So get in line or move.... lol. By the way, if you want to drink, there are many options. Just ask anyone in the county who drinks... Many residents drink, we just can't collect taxes on it. Now, if that ain't a hoot... Hell, I'll drink to that! Cheers!
my opinion

Calico Rock, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 11, 2011

Judged:

Ray wrote:
We are dry because if we don't have booze stores we won't have drunks. You see Randolph County is dry and we don't ever have any wrecks because of drinking. No one here drinks and everyone goes to church.
No I was just joking, its because our county does not need the massive tax money from booze.
No, not really its because some people are too uptight and want to rule the lives of others, they stick their heads up their ass and pretend everything is ok because we are dry. However you can walk from Pokie to the state line stepping on beer cans and never touch the ground.
true
Judge Phil Smith

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 11, 2011

Judged:

Ray wrote:
Ask Phil Smith why he as a presiding judge stopped Sharp county voters from having the chance to vote that county wet.
Was he influenced by Missouri liquor licenses who fought against the vote?
Has he ever received political donations from liquor stores outside of Sharp county?
I don't have those answers,but he threw out pages worth of petitions because of one person who could not be proven to be a sharp county resident.
chickie

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 11, 2011

Judged:

years ago when transportation was not like it is today getting alcohol was not easy.....it took a long time to go get it or you had to buy it from a bootlegger, now most families are multi-car so transportation is not an issue, people go get what they want when they want it. I think it does not make sense to have a dry county. We are paying other counties and other states alot of taxes that could be used in our county. --not to mention the wrecks and gas consumption during the drive there and back. A dry county does nothing but a lose of revenue to our county. oh yeah I dont drink any alcoholic beverages
Shelley

Jonesboro, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 11, 2011

Judged:

Well then maybe they should try to get it back on the ballot again.
Ray

Oxford, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 11, 2011

Judged:

Shelley wrote:
Well then maybe they should try to get it back on the ballot again.
It easier said than done, I would vote for the county going wet and I don't drink. I think adults should have a choice.
Churmudgeon

Horseshoe Bend, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 11, 2011

Judged:

The county was voted dry during the war when most of the men where away. That was before my time. Ive heard there where lots of taverns and the churchy folks spearheaded the drive to rid the county of sinful alcohol.
Shelley

Jonesboro, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 11, 2011

How would we go about trying to get it back on the ballot?
Churmudgeon

Horseshoe Bend, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 11, 2011

Judged:

Shelley wrote:
How would we go about trying to get it back on the ballot?
money! you would ned a lawyer to help to get a petition and gather enough signatures of registered voters.
info

Ash Flat, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 11, 2011

Judged:

Judge Phil Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
Ask Phil Smith why he as a presiding judge stopped Sharp county voters from having the chance to vote that county wet.
Was he influenced by Missouri liquor licenses who fought against the vote?
Has he ever received political donations from liquor stores outside of Sharp county?
I don't have those answers,but he threw out pages worth of petitions because of one person who could not be proven to be a sharp county resident.
"but he threw out pages worth of petitions because of one person who could not be proven to be a sharp county resident."

if you're going to post, come with the facts instead of made up misinformation.
admit it

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 11, 2011

Judged:

info wrote:
<quoted text>"but he threw out pages worth of petitions because of one person who could not be proven to be a sharp county resident."
if you're going to post, come with the facts instead of made up misinformation.
Not misinformation but the truth ,
So how about the truth from you ?
You must have been one of those that did everything they could to keep the people from voting.
Phil Smith holds an elected Judgeship , we are waiting to him back , neither he or Linda will win the next election.
Drink a beer

Jonesboro, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 11, 2011

Judged:

So, having no need for alcohol in this county is a good thing, right? So everyone that doesn't go to church just smokes meth here?..Ok I understand, that makes it all better..

If this county were civilized it may be a decent place to live. Whats wrong with having a beer once in a while like 99% of the rest of the world does? I think being dry here is just ignorant. There's nothing here to do so that why there's such a bad meth problem, just my opinion.

If church people rule this county, why not put bars in between here and Walnut Ridge, so they are out of their sight? Police seem to patrol that highway frequently anyway so I don't see a problem with it, as far as controlling drunks. But no, they put the American Legion on a curvy highway, and all the liquor stores are on those too so it makes wanting a beer that much more frustrating, to have to drive and get one. Anyway, just my two cents. I like the original poster feel like Ive stepped back in time since I moved here. Hell, even the Wild West had saloons.. Poor Poky.
Drinker

Mountain Home, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2011

Judged:

Drink a beer wrote:
So, having no need for alcohol in this county is a good thing, right? So everyone that doesn't go to church just smokes meth here?..Ok I understand, that makes it all better..
If this county were civilized it may be a decent place to live. Whats wrong with having a beer once in a while like 99% of the rest of the world does? I think being dry here is just ignorant. There's nothing here to do so that why there's such a bad meth problem, just my opinion.
If church people rule this county, why not put bars in between here and Walnut Ridge, so they are out of their sight? Police seem to patrol that highway frequently anyway so I don't see a problem with it, as far as controlling drunks. But no, they put the American Legion on a curvy highway, and all the liquor stores are on those too so it makes wanting a beer that much more frustrating, to have to drive and get one. Anyway, just my two cents. I like the original poster feel like Ive stepped back in time since I moved here. Hell, even the Wild West had saloons.. Poor Poky.
There are two churches for every mile you drive in that direction. We'll have to put one on HWY 67N going to Biggers. LOL

Calico Rock, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2011

Judged:

the county judge and quroum court members can put it on the ballot.(that would be the easy way
) they have no problem going thru all the work to ask for a tax increase..
good job

Calico Rock, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2011

Judged:

by changing insurance company the city is going to save around $100,000 a year on city employees health insurance.

wonder if the county has or will do the same thing?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of60
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

34 Users are viewing the Pocahontas Forum right now

Search the Pocahontas Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 47 min speller feller 27,903
pizza hut must be desperate 3 hr could be 3
Medessia Tunstall 23 hr just wondering 1
Who's hiring? Sat cool dude 2
who the biggest hole Sat cool dude 1
anyone know kelly riggs (Dec '12) Sat cool dude 21
Gerald Walker For Mayor Sat guest 22
•••
•••