Click on an option to vote

Yes

No

Other (explain below)

WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#23802 Mar 16, 2013
curmudgeon wrote:
The Dow is at a record high and so are corporate profits - so why does it feel like most of the country is deeply suffering right now? Real household income is the lowest that it has been in a decade, poverty is absolutely soaring, 47 million Americans are on food stamps and the middle class is being systematically destroyed. How can big corporations be doing so well while most American families are having such a hard time? Isn't their wealth supposed to "trickle down" to the rest of us? Unfortunately, that is not how the real world works. Today, most big corporations are trying to minimize the number of "expensive" American workers on their payrolls as much as they can. If the big corporation that is employing you can figure out a way to replace you with a worker in China or with a robot, it will probably do it. Corporations are in existence to maximize wealth for their shareholders, and most of the time the largest corporations are dominated by the monopoly men of the global elite. Over the decades, the politicians that have their campaigns funded by these monopoly men have rigged the game so that the big corporations are able to easily dominate everything. But this was never what those that founded this country intended. America was supposed to be a place where the power of collectivist institutions would be greatly limited, and individuals and small businesses would be free to compete in a capitalist system that would reward anyone that had a good idea and that was willing to work hard. But today, our economy is completely and totally dominated by a massively bloated federal government and by absolutely gigantic predator corporations that are greatly favored by our massively bloated federal government. Our founders tried to warn us about the dangers of allowing government, banks and corporations to accumulate too much power, but we didn't listen. Now they dominate everything, and the rest of us are fighting for table scraps.
I am doing quite well thank you and thanks to the DOW. Maybe if Unions didn't require their employees be paid $30 an hour to screw a lug nut on a wheel in an assembly line more jobs would remain in this country. Food stamps are on the rise because of liberal and democrat policies. Democrats want to keep people poor so they make it easy for them to get entitlements. The democrats know their existence depends on poor people. Democrats never pass any bill that will help their people get out of poverty, all they pass are bills that keep their people poor. Democrats would never talk about the legalization of illegal aliens if you put a stipulation on it that said they could never vote in any U.S. election. This entire scam is about votes and keeping democrat leades rich and in power. You are correct about the bloated Federal Government..
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#23803 Mar 16, 2013
curmudgeon wrote:
The Dow is at a record high and so are corporate profits - so why does it feel like most of the country is deeply suffering right now? Real household income is the lowest that it has been in a decade, poverty is absolutely soaring, 47 million Americans are on food stamps and the middle class is being systematically destroyed. How can big corporations be doing so well while most American families are having such a hard time? Isn't their wealth supposed to "trickle down" to the rest of us? Unfortunately, that is not how the real world works. Today, most big corporations are trying to minimize the number of "expensive" American workers on their payrolls as much as they can. If the big corporation that is employing you can figure out a way to replace you with a worker in China or with a robot, it will probably do it. Corporations are in existence to maximize wealth for their shareholders, and most of the time the largest corporations are dominated by the monopoly men of the global elite. Over the decades, the politicians that have their campaigns funded by these monopoly men have rigged the game so that the big corporations are able to easily dominate everything. But this was never what those that founded this country intended. America was supposed to be a place where the power of collectivist institutions would be greatly limited, and individuals and small businesses would be free to compete in a capitalist system that would reward anyone that had a good idea and that was willing to work hard. But today, our economy is completely and totally dominated by a massively bloated federal government and by absolutely gigantic predator corporations that are greatly favored by our massively bloated federal government. Our founders tried to warn us about the dangers of allowing government, banks and corporations to accumulate too much power, but we didn't listen. Now they dominate everything, and the rest of us are fighting for table scraps.
There are plenty of truck driving jobs out there. Any paper you read advertises for truck drivers. It's being advertised all over television also. It's not hard work and doesn't require great skill so It amazes me that we don't make people get off welfare and learn how to drive a truck..
curmudgeon

Ash Flat, AR

#23804 Mar 16, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>It would take way more than you or your opinions to rattle my cage. I agree with you on parasites. I also like to call out the hypocricy on parasites when they accuse everybody else but themsleves of being parasitic. If you did not inherit any parasitic land then you may be correct on that 5 generation thing.
Great,Great,Great,Great.Great grampaw didnt even keep the land that was granted to him. it was not feasible or practical to try and make improvements on such marginal land. He let the goverment have it back. never ever paid the taxes. They bought some creek bottom land. Im decended from the son who went to the dakotas. He trapped & hunted in that region the remander of his life. he spent a lot of time in canada also. his daughter (one of my great great grandmothers married one of my tory ancestors relatives. so there is a bit of inbreeding there!
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#23805 Mar 16, 2013
curmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> Great,Great,Great,Great.Great grampaw didnt even keep the land that was granted to him. it was not feasible or practical to try and make improvements on such marginal land. He let the goverment have it back. never ever paid the taxes. They bought some creek bottom land. Im decended from the son who went to the dakotas. He trapped & hunted in that region the remander of his life. he spent a lot of time in canada also. his daughter (one of my great great grandmothers married one of my tory ancestors relatives. so there is a bit of inbreeding there!
No doubt!
curmudgeon

Ash Flat, AR

#23806 Mar 16, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>There are plenty of truck driving jobs out there. Any paper you read advertises for truck drivers. It's being advertised all over television also. It's not hard work and doesn't require great skill so It amazes me that we don't make people get off welfare and learn how to drive a truck..
Years ago you could make $100 per day driving truck. Nowadays you still only make $100 per day. the more strigent DOT rules limit the hours you can drive. ya get paid by the mile. then theirs layover,s time wating to get loaded &unloaded slow traffic ect. and the cost of meals & expences out their is higher thanever. Their just isnt any real money to be made driving truck. There is less money if you happen to be a owner operator. In that case the truck owns you.

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

#23807 Mar 16, 2013
curmudgeon wrote:
Today was our union contract ratification meeting. I normally don't waste my Saturday mornings on nonsense like union stuff, but I was curious as to what other people negotiated for me. Mostly I was irate about them wanting to push this contract through quickly simply to avoid the deadline of the right to work law taking effect at the end of the month. As I figured, we got nothing in this contract...NOTHING!

They just pushed it through before I, and others, could decide for ourselves whether we want to pay union dues or not. Discontinuing union dues could have been a raise! I didn't hang around long enough to hear what the final vote was, but I'm pretty sure it passed. It appears as though I will be fighting for table scraps a bit longer as my pay stays the same and inflation continues to rise.

SE Michigan

#23808 Mar 16, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>I am doing quite well thank you and thanks to the DOW. Maybe if Unions didn't require their employees be paid $30 an hour to screw a lug nut on a wheel in an assembly line more jobs would remain in this country. Food stamps are on the rise because of liberal and democrat policies. Democrats want to keep people poor so they make it easy for them to get entitlements. The democrats know their existence depends on poor people. Democrats never pass any bill that will help their people get out of poverty, all they pass are bills that keep their people poor. Democrats would never talk about the legalization of illegal aliens if you put a stipulation on it that said they could never vote in any U.S. election. This entire scam is about votes and keeping democrat leades rich and in power. You are correct about the bloated Federal Government..
Knock on wood. The DOW may not remain this good for long. It's a gamble.

If only ALL unions paid $30 an hour!!! I'd be a millionaire by now.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#23809 Mar 16, 2013
Raptor in Michigan wrote:
<quoted text>
Today was our union contract ratification meeting. I normally don't waste my Saturday mornings on nonsense like union stuff, but I was curious as to what other people negotiated for me. Mostly I was irate about them wanting to push this contract through quickly simply to avoid the deadline of the right to work law taking effect at the end of the month. As I figured, we got nothing in this contract...NOTHING!
They just pushed it through before I, and others, could decide for ourselves whether we want to pay union dues or not. Discontinuing union dues could have been a raise! I didn't hang around long enough to hear what the final vote was, but I'm pretty sure it passed. It appears as though I will be fighting for table scraps a bit longer as my pay stays the same and inflation continues to rise.
You choose to work there. You could always drive a truck!

SE Michigan

#23810 Mar 16, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>There are plenty of truck driving jobs out there. Any paper you read advertises for truck drivers. It's being advertised all over television also. It's not hard work and doesn't require great skill so It amazes me that we don't make people get off welfare and learn how to drive a truck..
"It amazes me that we don't make people get off welfare and learn how to drive a truck."
In a FREE country we don't MAKE people learn something they don't want to learn. We also don't make them DO something they don't want to do. But then if they are getting free money, they should be required to work for that money...forty hours per week like the rest of us. If they refuse the work they are assigned, they get no money.

SE Michigan

#23811 Mar 16, 2013
curmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> Years ago you could make $100 per day driving truck. Nowadays you still only make $100 per day. the more strigent DOT rules limit the hours you can drive. ya get paid by the mile. then theirs layover,s time wating to get loaded &unloaded slow traffic ect. and the cost of meals & expences out their is higher thanever. Their just isnt any real money to be made driving truck. There is less money if you happen to be a owner operator. In that case the truck owns you.
If only I made $100 a day! I'd be a millionaire by now!!

SE Michigan

#23812 Mar 16, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>You choose to work there. You could always drive a truck!
I always wanted to be a truck driver, among other things. But I got "comfortable" where I'm at. Yes, I do "choose" to work there. I could quit at any time. But it's not the now that I think of. It's the end result. The retirement package is what I'm talkin' about!
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#23813 Mar 16, 2013
<quoted text>
"It amazes me that we don't make people get off welfare and learn how to drive a truck."
In a FREE country we don't MAKE people learn something they don't want to learn. We also don't make them DO something they don't want to do. But then if they are getting free money, they should be required to work for that money...forty hours per week like the rest of us. If they refuse the work they are assigned, they get no money.
I thought you just said " We also don't make them DO something they don't want to do." Confused much?
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#23814 Mar 16, 2013
<quoted text>
If only I made $100 a day! I'd be a millionaire by now!!
WOW!
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#23815 Mar 16, 2013
<quoted text>
I always wanted to be a truck driver, among other things. But I got "comfortable" where I'm at. Yes, I do "choose" to work there. I could quit at any time. But it's not the now that I think of. It's the end result. The retirement package is what I'm talkin' about!
Sounds like you are a parasite?
Reality Check

Little Rock, AR

#23816 Mar 16, 2013
<quoted text>
I'm curious as to which union you belong.

SE Michigan

#23817 Mar 16, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>I thought you just said " We also don't make them DO something they don't want to do." Confused much?
You said:

I'm not confused at all. Your statement reads just as you worded it. In the Soviet Union or China, the government might "make" someone learn a specific skill and work in that field. We do not do that in America.

We can DENY welfare to someone, but we cannot MAKE them learn a specific profession. Your sentence could just a easily read this way:
"It amazes me that we don't make people get off welfare and learn how to do brain surgery."

Do you see what I'm saying now?

SE Michigan

#23818 Mar 16, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>WOW!
Exactly! Unions aren't all you thought they were, huh?

SE Michigan

#23820 Mar 16, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>Sounds like you are a parasite?
Nope. No more than you are. Probably less from what I gather by the way you talk. I've contributed to a retirement fund all my working life. I'm getting back what I contributed and it's accrued interest. And I've worked the number of years they told me I had to work to get it. I fulfilled my end of the deal! Well I'm getting close to having it fulfilled anyway, and I'm still gonna be young enough to enjoy it.

SE Michigan

#23822 Mar 16, 2013
Reality Check wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm curious as to which union you belong.
AFSCME
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#23824 Mar 16, 2013
<quoted text>
You said:
I'm not confused at all. Your statement reads just as you worded it. In the Soviet Union or China, the government might "make" someone learn a specific skill and work in that field. We do not do that in America.
We can DENY welfare to someone, but we cannot MAKE them learn a specific profession. Your sentence could just a easily read this way:
"It amazes me that we don't make people get off welfare and learn how to do brain surgery."
Do you see what I'm saying now?
Who do we deny welfare to? We make people do a number of things in this country..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pocahontas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Do the theatre still have good shows? 55 min The truth 6
Cheating (Aug '12) 1 hr set the record st... 48
Work needed for Christmas 2 hr Rent Money 17
begger 2 hr saulman 4
County cops VS city cops (Nov '09) 2 hr guest 30
Kyle ford (Nov '12) 3 hr Curious 21
I must be obsolete 7 hr old guy 3
Pocahontas Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web