motorcycle problem
casual rider

Edwardsville, IL

#1 Apr 14, 2014
Need some advice about my bike. This weekend I charged up the battery on my bike and it started right up but wouldn't run above idle on full choke. This is an older bike, a 2002 Honda 1100 V twin with carburetors . It's a Harley wannabee but it's in mint condition.
Last year, I didn't ride it at all and only started it twice because I was very sick the whole year and was unable to ride. I had paid the insurance and the tags but never rode it.
Last fall I shut the fuel off but never run the fuel out of the carbs and I think that is where my problem is. That gasoline has been in there 2 years but I never thought gasoline would go bad.
Any advice?
biker_dude

United States

#2 Apr 14, 2014
Add a fuel additive to your tank and see if that will help you get it started. STA-Bil is a good choice. You might have some moisture that mixed in with your gas.Many gas stations are sellling gas with ethanol added and that creates havoc for small engines. Hope this helps.......
biker_dude

United States

#3 Apr 14, 2014
On another note. I always use a battery tender during the winter. This is a trickle charge that maintains your battery. You will never have to charge it again and it will prolong the life of your battery.
casual rider

Edwardsville, IL

#4 Apr 14, 2014
I could be wrong but I think the carbs need to be drained, maybe a new fuel filter and fresh gas would be a good place to start.
This bike for the most part has been setting for 5 years in my shed and what I think it needs is to be ridden.

Ashburn, VA

#5 Apr 14, 2014
casual rider wrote:
Need some advice about my bike. This weekend I charged up the battery on my bike and it started right up but wouldn't run above idle on full choke. This is an older bike, a 2002 Honda 1100 V twin with carburetors . It's a Harley wannabee but it's in mint condition.
Last year, I didn't ride it at all and only started it twice because I was very sick the whole year and was unable to ride. I had paid the insurance and the tags but never rode it.
Last fall I shut the fuel off but never run the fuel out of the carbs and I think that is where my problem is. That gasoline has been in there 2 years but I never thought gasoline would go bad.
Any advice?
change the fuel, the fuel filter, and blow air through the fuel lines and i bet it will run.

Ash Flat, AR

#6 Apr 14, 2014
I would suggest draining the old fuel, put w fuel with some Seafoam an let it run. Be careful about blowing air in the hose it could damage the floats. You may have to remove the carb bowls and clean them and spray some carb cleaner around the needle valves.
casual rider

Edwardsville, IL

#7 Apr 14, 2014
Guest wrote:
I would suggest draining the old fuel, put w fuel with some Seafoam an let it run. Be careful about blowing air in the hose it could damage the floats. You may have to remove the carb bowls and clean them and spray some carb cleaner around the needle valves.
When I was riding it I would add a little bit of Gumout to the gas and always put premium gas in the tank and never thought gas would go bad but that has been 2 years ago. The gasoline these days is much different from the days when I was younger.
Now the gasoline is about 10% ethanol and who knows what that is made of. From some of the programs that I have seen on TV that could be anything from corn to rendered down dead animals and grease.
rides

Jonesboro, AR

#8 Apr 15, 2014
i wouldnt putseafoam in anything it messed up my mower engine uprolly need new gas and plugs if u are goin to use a gas additive use lucas.my bike isfuel injected and always runs like crap at the first of the season until i get the last years gas burnt out good luck and keep the rubber side down

Conway, AR

#10 Apr 15, 2014
I suggest getting a new bike...possibly an american made one muthafuka
Chest Brockwell

United States

#11 Apr 16, 2014
Ill tell you what to do hook a chain to it an have someone pull you down the road really get to hauling ass an drop it in gear. Wear all your motorcycle shit so everyone will know your a real badass
casual rider

Edwardsville, IL

#12 Apr 16, 2014
biker_dude wrote:
Add a fuel additive to your tank and see if that will help you get it started. STA-Bil is a good choice. You might have some moisture that mixed in with your gas.Many gas stations are sellling gas with ethanol added and that creates havoc for small engines. Hope this helps.......
Where I live all the gas stations gasoline is 10% Ethanol and I know a lot of people that have problems in the spring with lawn mowers and gasoline engines when they try to store gas over the winter and then use it.
I think I'll try to use up whatever fuel is in the carbs on my bike by letting it idle till they are empty. This engine is water cooled much like a car and I don't think that would hurt it and drain the tank, put in fresh fuel with Gumout in the tank to clean the carbs out.
On the battery, I know they go down in the winter but I don't have electric to my shed so I can't keep a charger on it but I have heard about what you were talking about many times.
I bought a new battery in 2012 and that was close to $100.00 for that little tiny battery and was only guaranteed for 90 days but they said they would cover it for a year at a Honda dealer.
I have battery charger that I bought about 25 years ago when I bought a travel trailer. It has 10 amp charge and a 2 amp charge but the Honda dealer told me that wouldn't work and that was an absolute lie. Every spring I charge up my batteries with that old charger on the bike and my riding mower as well.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pocahontas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Rick Dollins 5 hr Dallas does Dallas 3
Peco 6 hr American 19
racheal zingleman (May '11) Thu royjr 26
is peco still hiring? Thu Jack 23
Anita Pickett Thu Guest 1
John Simkins (Mar '15) Jun 29 Samantha garrett 38
Jennie oden Jun 28 One Who Knows 2

Pocahontas Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance