Horseshoe Bend, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 16, 2013

Judged:

voters supported a city owned hospital by a large margin.

will the council sell it and give up local control to a company they once fired?

should the voters have a say on it?
referendum if needed?

Canyon Lake, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 16, 2013

Judged:

why not. we've been sold out anyway. I figure the prospective buyer will own the council before its over.

Canyon Lake, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 16, 2013

Judged:

thoughts wrote:
voters supported a city owned hospital by a large margin.
will the council sell it and give up local control to a company they once fired?
should the voters have a say on it?
referendum if needed?
LOL you can forget a referendum. Remember, the city council laughed at the results of the ambulance referendum, and reinstated Promed against the wishes of the voters. Said the voters did not know what they were doing. What makes you think a referendum will do anything when the last one was blatantly ignored? And don't try splitting hairs, you damn well know that the vote threw out Promed, and that the council found a way to stick it to the voters and break it off. The hospital problems are nothing less than continued mismanagement by officials of the city of Pocahontas and we can only blame ourselves. We get what we deserve.
thoughts

Horseshoe Bend, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 16, 2013

Judged:

guest wrote:
<quoted text> LOL you can forget a referendum. Remember, the city council laughed at the results of the ambulance referendum, and reinstated Promed against the wishes of the voters. Said the voters did not know what they were doing. What makes you think a referendum will do anything when the last one was blatantly ignored? And don't try splitting hairs, you damn well know that the vote threw out Promed, and that the council found a way to stick it to the voters and break it off. The hospital problems are nothing less than continued mismanagement by officials of the city of Pocahontas and we can only blame ourselves. We get what we deserve.
easy there, i agree with you on the council shafting us and don't trust them in the least with the decision or value/sale price.

half the voters don't even realize we funded it at 1/4 cent rather than the so called 1 cent hospital tax.
now the city has gobbled up a permanent 1/2 cent for parks maintenance. where was and is the original old 3/4 cent going? spent as intended? folks need to look at the entire city budget closely and see where their money and any state kickback funds are going?

they HAVE proven their complete incompetence, lack of wisdom, and poor leadership. definitely time for complete change at city hall.

figure they would get referendumed continuously, recalled, or sued if they go against the people's vote on this one.
have to wonder if the buy offer is just part of the lawsuit/settlement/a scare tactic of some kind?

even if it is a headache to own and requires funding we definitely need a hospital more than the leisure pool project for the kiddos.

was mainly wondering if it should be a council or citizen vote in the first place?

would be interested in further examples of city mismanagement.
wrong management/company(s) hired, other?

personally would like to see some cutback on all the other building and location rentals, etc., but sure hope the council doesn't start daily micromanaging it.

should we maybe look at st bernards, nea, or paragould for mgmt as law county has?
should the hospital board be more involved and exerting more control on mgmt decisions?

imo, WE need to keep the hospital, ultimate local ownership/control, and the jobs. scary to think what a new owner might do - fire and rehire, cut services, eventually close it, etc.= back to square one to save it, again.

Canyon Lake, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2013

Judged:

thoughts wrote:
<quoted text>
easy there, i agree with you on the council shafting us and don't trust them in the least with the decision or value/sale price.
half the voters don't even realize we funded it at 1/4 cent rather than the so called 1 cent hospital tax.
now the city has gobbled up a permanent 1/2 cent for parks maintenance. where was and is the original old 3/4 cent going? spent as intended? folks need to look at the entire city budget closely and see where their money and any state kickback funds are going?
they HAVE proven their complete incompetence, lack of wisdom, and poor leadership. definitely time for complete change at city hall.
figure they would get referendumed continuously, recalled, or sued if they go against the people's vote on this one.
have to wonder if the buy offer is just part of the lawsuit/settlement/a scare tactic of some kind?
even if it is a headache to own and requires funding we definitely need a hospital more than the leisure pool project for the kiddos.
was mainly wondering if it should be a council or citizen vote in the first place?
would be interested in further examples of city mismanagement.
wrong management/company(s) hired, other?
personally would like to see some cutback on all the other building and location rentals, etc., but sure hope the council doesn't start daily micromanaging it.
should we maybe look at st bernards, nea, or paragould for mgmt as law county has?
should the hospital board be more involved and exerting more control on mgmt decisions?
imo, WE need to keep the hospital, ultimate local ownership/control, and the jobs. scary to think what a new owner might do - fire and rehire, cut services, eventually close it, etc.= back to square one to save it, again.
Yes, I am obviously over the top. Frustration with a city council that deliberately mischaracterizes the local economic situation, led by a reckless city attorney with a history of.... well, let's say we all know his history. He can run to my ivipal league for cover, or advise the council to hire his attorney buddies when he can't or won't do the job. Meanwhile, his pretty pool sucks 20 million from local economy in as many years. Justify that, will you? And, what will happen to the hospital tax in the event of buyout. hmmmm? The hospital board has dogs in this hunt as well, believe it.
Almost everyone drives at or over the speed limit, unless radar is pointed at them. The council is no different with its city management technique. I'm expecting a major pileup someday.... too bad.

Bradford, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2013

Judged:

it was sold as a hospital tax but it is a revenue tax to be spent as the council please.
well

Horseshoe Bend, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2013

Judged:

how much is the possible payout if we lose the lawsuit? million or 2 minimum?

do we have that?
will the council just sign over OUR hospital to them at a fire sale price for settlement?
concerned

Paragould, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2013

Judged:

I too am concerned about the state of the hospital's stability. My family has used the hospital's services many, many times. The county needs a hospital if there is any hope of recruiting new industry to the county. Wouldn't that be wonderful? New jobs, more jobs- people wouldn't have to drive out of town to work. Leaving town to work takes other revenue out of the county> filling car up with gas, buying groceries or snacks it just goes on & on... what ends up being spent out of Randolph County. Hurting our current business owners. But rather than being negative about the city council we should show interest in the business. Attend council meetings, ask questions of the CEO of the hospital - try to understand the issues. We should encourage our neighbors to use the hospital services. It is basic business sense- if there aren't "customers" or in this case patients then there isn't money coming into the business to pay the light bill, water bill, salaries etc. Some of those bills fluctuate very little regardless if there is 1 patient or 30. So if the community doesn't start using the hospital for the services they provide the real chance of closure is always in the distant future. I certainly don't know the answer to who should be managing the hospital-- the city council, a management company, or sell the hospital. But there are many that have opinions about the correct action to take that do not really know enough about the management of a complex business like a hospital yet they continue to offer their opinions without being fully informed. payments from Mediare, Medicaid & Blue Cross Blue Shield are not what many people think they are. It is scary for all hositals

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2013

Judged:

if you want the hospital to survive, you should hope that it's control is wrested from that feckless batch of personal agenda driven egotistical maniacs. And why should anyone attend council meetings? To be rode roughshod, then ignored? Just read the papers to see how well opposition fares in this burg.
You better hope that the hospital is sold, with the city council entirely out of that businesses. Leave them to their affairs; condemning property, defending lawsuits, and sucking the tax base dry. Not to mention the winks, nods, back patting, and back tracking as they try to fix what they have broken.
yes

Jonesboro, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2013

Judged:

I'm sorry but the city can't sell the hospital because they don't own the hospital. Get your story straight!
concerned

Paragould, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2013

So who own the hospital if it isn't the city?

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2013

Judged:

yes wrote:
I'm sorry but the city can't sell the hospital because they don't own the hospital. Get your story straight!
So enlighten us.... but, no matter the owner, the city apparently controls the purse strings to the extent that the hospital is in a rear naked choke. And the city gets sued for breach of contract regarding hospital operations. Whatever the phrasing, I think the original poster conveyed his meaning... should the city get out of the business? I vote a resounding YES!
yes

Jonesboro, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2013

Judged:

guest wrote:
<quoted text>So enlighten us.... but, no matter the owner, the city apparently controls the purse strings to the extent that the hospital is in a rear naked choke. And the city gets sued for breach of contract regarding hospital operations. Whatever the phrasing, I think the original poster conveyed his meaning... should the city get out of the business? I vote a resounding YES!
They did get out of the business. They don't own it. They did own it when the breach of contract occurred.

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2013

Judged:

I mean COMPLETELY out of the business... as in being a piggy bank and penny pinching payday lender for the hospital
concerned

Paragould, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2013

yes wrote:
<quoted text>
They did get out of the business. They don't own it. They did own it when the breach of contract occurred.
SO who DOES own the hospital? You have said twice the city doesn't but you have said who does.
yes

Oklahoma City, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2013

Judged:

The hospital is a owns itself and is ran by a board of directors.
Nurse

Oklahoma City, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2013

Judged:

And the next day the hospital would close. It can't survive without the city's support. Just like the hospital on Walnut Ridge.
guest wrote:
I mean COMPLETELY out of the business... as in being a piggy bank and penny pinching payday lender for the hospital

Little Rock, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2013

Judged:

Nurse wrote:
And the next day the hospital would close. It can't survive without the city's support. Just like the hospital on Walnut Ridge.
<quoted text>
voters said give the hospital the tax money, but the council makes hospital beg. board should resign in protest. hospital CAN DO WITHOUT city council penny pinching, mismanagement, and stupid decisions drawing lawsuit.
badboy

Horseshoe Bend, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2013

Judged:

who the heck would want to be treated there anyway sure the shit not i .i wont take my dog out there took my friend out there spiting up blood thay said could not find anythang wrong with him .sent him home the verry next day he bleed out and died so who the needs the bas...ard anyways
Nurse

Oklahoma City, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2013

Judged:

Says someone completely ignorant to even the basics of the hospitals finances...
guest wrote:
<quoted text>voters said give the hospital the tax money, but the council makes hospital beg. board should resign in protest. hospital CAN DO WITHOUT city council penny pinching, mismanagement, and stupid decisions drawing lawsuit.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Pocahontas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Wildlife & Game Officer 40 min Glen Declerck 1
Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 1 hr apocalypse down 29,505
Kids First 5 hr Nobody 6
AR More than 1,000 dead birds fall from sky in Ark (Jan '11) 9 hr guest 9,829
wreck 15 hr Guest 26
Hospital Tax 15 hr outoftowner 56
hydrotemp? (Oct '09) 20 hr Noneofurbusiness 83

Search the Pocahontas Forum:
•••
•••