5 rivers medical center
sad

Shreveport, LA

#41 Mar 12, 2014
Guest wrote:
<quoted text>
This has been one of my concerns also, Air/Vac is called to every wreck, even before EMT arrives to check the people out. I mean if cost a fortune to run a helicopter and most times the people airlifted are back home the next day. No one is interested in saving money its just blow and go. Its getting to where they call Air/Vac for all calls, I mean do we have a hospital here or not? As far as Medicare not paying anything I call BS on that, a older person I knew had a 3 week stay in a hospital and it paid over 150,000. at 80%. that is 50 grand a week, if a hospital can't work with that then they should close.
Another posted said small doctor offices were the way to go, that might be right. A doctor can see 3 to 4 people an hour at near 100.00 per visit, that should cover their overhead. One problem is the billing system, they make more than the doctor doing the work.
Medicare hasn't paid 80% on a hospital bill since the payment method of DRG started in the 1980s. for that matter there are very few insurances that pay 80% any more.

Newalla, OK

#42 Mar 13, 2014
I not so sure about the air-evac calls.... I don't have access to the stats or rules but isn't there a protocol for calling air-evac? If what you say is true, why would the local ems people call so many airevac runs? Wouldn't it be in the ems best interest to make the haul? Do you think there is something going on that we should know? For example, does ems make more money on haul to jonesboro? Does ground ems get paid when they call for air? Do they have something against local hospital? just asking.

Since: Feb 14

Location hidden

#43 Mar 13, 2014
Terry Dickson going before the QC tonight to speak about the hospital.

One QC member has been out taking about what the county could do to help the hospital out.

Raise millage
Another sales tax.

My opinion Why consider raising the millage ? Only property owners would be forced by nine QC members to pay toward the hospital .

County sales tax would be the only fair way. Put it to a vote by the people let the people have a voice with their vote.

Mountain Home, AR

#44 Mar 13, 2014
There has to be a limit on any taxes including sales taxes. There must be some cuts and a budget put forth, the backs of the taxpayers is getting weak!
sensable

Mountain Home, AR

#45 Mar 14, 2014
I was just at the hospital today. I found it satisfactory. It may not be the best but at least it is here in case an emergency arises. You people are crazy that want to shut it down. Many lives have been saved there. If you don't like it then go somewhere else. I hope it stays. Sometimes time is the most important thing in saving a life . This hospital is equipped with the necessary equipment for stroke victims to have the best of care. Some people having emergencies can't wait an hour or so to get to the medical facilities they need to survive. Some can but some can't. It all depends on what the emergency is. If it isn't that bad of an emergency then by all means go somewhere else. But some of us need a hospital in Pocahontas, so what can we do to help keep it here? That should be our concern. If we need to get rid of some of the administration then do that. Not get rid of the hospital though. That is absurd.
agree

Shreveport, LA

#46 Mar 14, 2014
sensable wrote:
I was just at the hospital today. I found it satisfactory. It may not be the best but at least it is here in case an emergency arises. You people are crazy that want to shut it down. Many lives have been saved there. If you don't like it then go somewhere else. I hope it stays. Sometimes time is the most important thing in saving a life . This hospital is equipped with the necessary equipment for stroke victims to have the best of care. Some people having emergencies can't wait an hour or so to get to the medical facilities they need to survive. Some can but some can't. It all depends on what the emergency is. If it isn't that bad of an emergency then by all means go somewhere else. But some of us need a hospital in Pocahontas, so what can we do to help keep it here? That should be our concern. If we need to get rid of some of the administration then do that. Not get rid of the hospital though. That is absurd.
I totally agree with make changes if changes are needed but keep the hospital. BUT the only way to keep any business open is for the business to have customers. The people of the city and county need to go to the hospital for the things that can be taken care of there. Go there for stabilization of an emergency and then be transferred if need be. There needs to be a hospital if there is any hope of keeping Randolph County from drying up on the vine....
LPN

Jonesboro, AR

#47 Mar 14, 2014
Just putting out my opinions on FRMC, the staff and the majority of the arrogant post/statements on this topic.
So, you're cousins, uncles, step-sons, sisters, grandma... had a bad experience, 10 years ago... I suppose, that couldn't have happened anywhere, but FRMC. Had you have went anywhere else, it wouldn't have happened at all? You're a special kind of stupid if you think otherwise. I'm very familiar with 4 different hospitals in NEA and FRMC has been rated number one, out of the four. The thing is, every hospital has it's own "drama", financial issues, employee issues, ect. Those nurses, doctors, lab technicians, radiologist, etc... They are HUMANS. Just like you and I. I'm not saying that it should make your situation any better, but for the love of God, do you not those nurses, doctors and other staff members were affected, in anyway, whatsoever? Do you not think, when we bust our ass to provide your loved-ones the medical attention that they need and there was nothing we could do to save them, etc...Do you think we walk out of the room and put a smile on our faces and go on to the next? NO. I can recall many many times, losing a patient, comforting their families and walking out and completely losing it. We cry, we feel, we hurt, we CARE. By no means am I saying, FRMC doesn't need improvements, but improvements don't get made by having a "topix thread", bashing the hospital, etc. A friend of mine, also, a former co-worker of FRMC, went for a surgical procedure at St. Bernards, she was sent home,(knowing that she was in nursing), with a pulse ox in the 40's and was told it was because she had acrylic nails. She told them something was wrong and was sent home anyways. Less than 24 hours later, she was rushed to FRMC with a Pulse Ox of 34. Thankfully, FRMC was within 5 minutes, because had it not have been for the staff at FRMC, that night; she wouldn't have made it by ambulance to the unit at St. Bernards. They got her stable enough, until she was able to be transferred. Folks, what I'm trying to say is, that place that everyone wants to talk bad about... That could be you or your loved-ones. If you can't read between the lines... Sometimes, even the smallest hospitals, make the biggest difference. Changes can't be made, unless you speak up. Attend the meetings. Go voice your opinions and concerns. We need to be supportive this hospital and focus on what's really important. We need a hospital, people. Though, some were previously laid-off, due to finances, there are still so many employees of FRMC whom need a job. Would you rather, all of these people, as well, be unemployed? I suppose, that would give someone another topic to start... FRMC EMPLOYEES ON WELFARE. Open up your minds.
Know it All

Bexar, AR

#49 Mar 16, 2014
The hospital is a luxury that the tax payers cannot afford. Let it close down. At least the folks in Sharp County where smart enough to vote NO to a hospital. The Pocahontas city voter,s voted for the city to operate the hospital so let them pay for it. Don't raise property taxes on the county folks who never got the chance to vote on the city buying the money pit.

Tulsa, OK

#50 Mar 16, 2014
it doesn't work that way..... city took over the ambulance service, and the county folks get no say so, and have to live with it. Tim Scott doesn't give a damn about anyone who is not a registered city voter. and if he wins, then he won't care about those people either
Just Sayin

Bexar, AR

#51 Mar 16, 2014
City owned city taxes. County owned county taxes. No matter what the Issue.
if the County Money is involved then County voters must be allowed to vote.
Concerned

Mountain Home, AR

#52 Mar 16, 2014
Bert, there are times you need to go to the ER. They were all so dehydrated from the constant throwing up and It was just to a point were they had to go. The Children were sick and one was a baby very sick. It was an ER situation. The point is if you go to the ER with no matter the problem is, you should be treated with respect. They never saw a dr., it was not the Nurse's place to make them set in the waiting room and make an appt. A dr. should have seen them and to be charged with an ER visit when they just sat in the lobby, That's crazy.
Concerned

Mountain Home, AR

#53 Mar 16, 2014
I don't want it shut down. I believe our town needs a Hospital. I'm just saying they need people in there that wants to work. Every person that walks in there should get the same treatment wether they are poor or rich, insurance or not. The worse thing when your sick is to be looked down to and if you don't fit the look you are shit out of luck with this group. There are some there that are great and wonderful. I just think it needs to be better
I
agree wrote:
<quoted text>
I totally agree with make changes if changes are needed but keep the hospital. BUT the only way to keep any business open is for the business to have customers. The people of the city and county need to go to the hospital for the things that can be taken care of there. Go there for stabilization of an emergency and then be transferred if need be. There needs to be a hospital if there is any hope of keeping Randolph County from drying up on the vine....
Concerned

Mountain Home, AR

#54 Mar 16, 2014
guest wrote:
So how is it that the CFO gets a raise in pay the same week the employees find out the cost of their insurance is going to double and their vacation time gets cut in half! Just one more example of the working employees being cut to the bone while the administration dodges the cuts. It's getting to the point of paying the big 3 for them allowing the employees the privilege to work there. What ever happened to giving weekly financial reports to the city council? Did that get cut as well? Come on people, wake up and see what is goin on right in front of your nose.
I have been to many hospitals and not one was rude like pocahontas and never did they make me sit, make an appt and turn me away. Then be charged with a visit, NEVER. I have always been treated by a dr and all nurses were pleasant. I could care less about their drama. When I go in I expect to be seen as should anyone.
Hope is near

Jonesboro, AR

#55 Mar 16, 2014
Concerned wrote:
<quoted text>
I have been to many hospitals and not one was rude like pocahontas and never did they make me sit, make an appt and turn me away. Then be charged with a visit, NEVER. I have always been treated by a dr and all nurses were pleasant. I could care less about their drama. When I go in I expect to be seen as should anyone.
Low morale can play a big factor. We all need to stick together. FOR REAL!!!
Tiberius

Hardy, AR

#56 Mar 17, 2014
suggestions wrote:
<quoted text> The employees obviously care a lot about the hospital because they are still there working! Their pay has been reduced, their hours worked has been reduced and now lot of other benefits have been reduced. So yes it is their source of income but more importantly it is THEIR hospital. They want to be there- they want to work and take care of family and friends when they are ill. They are dedicated to taking care of FRMC patients. A survey would give the hospital board / city council some insight......maybe someone should ask for the survey. Doubt that any of them are reading topix for the suggestion.
Yes, most of them do care and what they have been through no-one should put up with. I sure didn't. We were stole from and lied to. It is still going on. Administration only looks out for themselves. Someone should report them to the Attorney General for investigation for fraud.
Do not know

United States

#57 Mar 17, 2014
Our town cannot survive without a hospital. FRMC is not equipped like the larger hospitals but they can stabilize you for transfers. This saves numerous lives. You people need to wake up and realize what our town would be like without a hospital.
Know it All

Bexar, AR

#58 Mar 17, 2014
Do not know wrote:
Our town cannot survive without a hospital. FRMC is not equipped like the larger hospitals but they can stabilize you for transfers. This saves numerous lives. You people need to wake up and realize what our town would be like without a hospital.
Those incompetents kill as many as they save. If your sick or injured go to Jonesboro. I be happy to see it closed.
Just Sayin

Bexar, AR

#59 Mar 17, 2014
BUT WE ARE GETTIN A POOL and a chicken plant and..
..we will need more EMS....

Jonesboro, AR

#60 Mar 18, 2014
Know it All wrote:
The hospital is a luxury that the tax payers cannot afford. Let it close down. At least the folks in Sharp County where smart enough to vote NO to a hospital. The Pocahontas city voter,s voted for the city to operate the hospital so let them pay for it. Don't raise property taxes on the county folks who never got the chance to vote on the city buying the money pit.
The main reason it was voted down because it would be county own, that's a bad idea any way. also WWMC is building a emergency room at the no cost to the people. on the idea to let it shut down remember that when your love one has a heart attack or allergic reaction and it takes a extra hour to get to the hospital. I lived in sharp county and saw a good friends mother died because it took and extra 40 minutes to get to the hospital in Salem. Trust me you might not like things at the hospital here, but you will like it less if they were not here.
Just Sayin

Bexar, AR

#61 Mar 18, 2014
True maybe the paycuts that we heard about from the special board meeting will keep it afloat. I found some comments on here amusing though. Topics is almost as good as Facebook or LinkedIn Almost everyone reads it from time to time. That's how people keep up with reality and with the latest gossip. Ever wonder how some people know things when it doesn't make the local paper? Its all on the world wide web. Don't kid yourself LOL

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pocahontas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
How pathetic are you to believe in god in 2016? 24 min good luck my friend 21
Sally Gipson (Jul '15) 2 hr Wondering 44
why is there a power outage tonight 2 hr guest 11
parking passes at the high school 2 hr guest 1
Rhonda Blevins thinks your too poor to vote on ... 3 hr guest 19
Suspected child rapist Miguel Solis Garcia arre... 4 hr Sunshine 7
Chuckin clouds 5 hr Best Guest 2

Pocahontas Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance