Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2013

Judged:

no thanks wrote:
<quoted text>
not crying, no lost toys, no problem with my mouth, no poor leadership by me, not depressed, can't run for office in the city, won't put it to rest, no thanks.
did you tell your happy child that thousands of people will suffer real actual hardships for his WANTS and happiness?
did you tell your happy child that others will now have to pay thousands of their dollars that they NEEDED to spend elsewhere?
Thousands of their dollars? Someone who spends 10,000 locally pays 100 in taxes. For someone to pay thousands they would have to spend 100,000 locally to pay their first 1,000 in new sales tax.

Bradford, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2013

Judged:

wack em wrote:
<quoted text>Thousands of their dollars? Someone who spends 10,000 locally pays 100 in taxes. For someone to pay thousands they would have to spend 100,000 locally to pay their first 1,000 in new sales tax.
its my money not your
I will spend MY money in other counties
council led regression

Ash Flat, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2013

Judged:

Over wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed. 93% didnt vote for it, but 93% didnt vote against it either.
Simple, you don't want the pool, organize, vote, and defeat it. That didnt happen, it passed, so now those who were the few who voted against it can complain, the ones for it can be proud, and every single one that didnt vote either way can have a big drink of the STFU cola.
Here's my point. VOTE people. Either way. Say there's 4000 registered voters in town. Still, less than 25% voted. That means 75% didnt care enough about the 1% tax to take 5 minutes out of their life playing candy crush, drinking beer, goofing off, or whatever to make their voice heard.
It passed. I voted for it simply because everyone constantly whines and bitches that there isn't anything for kids to do in this town. Well, now there's at least one thing and its open to everyone.
If you don't like it, too late now.
What are some other ideas to generate a) jobs and b) things for our children to do that would have been a better option than this?
Hell, for that matter, what else could have done something to spur the local economy?
Do some digging, you'll find the issues are a hell of a lot deeper than a new pool or the possible bypass of Pocahontas and it probably has a lot to do with a very small percentage of people in this town who care nothing about the growth of the town or the people in it, but more about their own personal financial wealth instead.
Start there, and figure out where to go from there. Hand wringing about the pool at this point is worthless.
why the rushed or delayed need for a 25% special election when 60% would of voted on it in a general election for free? politics and personal agendas, again?

how is this going to spur the local economy?
you think many more can or will afford the admission fee or gas to drive to use it.$1.3 million/yr WILL be taken OUT of the local economy.

caving and pushing for the "nothing for kids to do" whiners and wanters and spending 7.5 million on a Cadillac project a small percentage will use so little isn't a wise needed use our tax dollars.

city council should of rejected it outright for something much smaller and more affordable out of existing taxes or additional penny on the burgers. gutless poor leadership.

how much is enough? there is much more furnished to and for kids to do now than a generation ago. way to many demands, give me, and wants today. most off the backs of taxpayers. kids shouldn't be spoiled with additional tax dollar money from others that use and need it to get by.

what's next, will council close or sell the hospital and lose local control of it, hundreds of jobs here, and our investment? we voted to support it, keep control, and NEED it and those jobs. most people thought we were buying and supporting it to the tune of 1% with their vote. is it really just 1/4 of that?

pool and luxury leisure for a small percentage for a few months more important than a hospital? PROGRESS? POOR LEADERSHIP?

been proven that peoples vote doesn't matter to the council, but what IS more important and how many more voted for the 1% hospital tax than the 1% pool tax?
wack em

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2013

Judged:

guest wrote:
<quoted text>
its my money not your
I will spend MY money in other counties
That's fine. I don't live in Randolph county. But going to another county will probably cost more than you save. Stick to your principles, it's admirable though sometimes costly.
and

Ash Flat, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2013

Judged:

wack em wrote:
<quoted text>Thousands of their dollars? Someone who spends 10,000 locally pays 100 in taxes. For someone to pay thousands they would have to spend 100,000 locally to pay their first 1,000 in new sales tax.
someone who spends 10 to 20k/yr on taxable goods for next 12+yrs and THEN the 1/2 cent forever will be taxed thousands.
wack em

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2013

Judged:

Correct. Everyone is taxed thousands over the course of their life. That's why people vote to have a say. The citizens of Pocahontas voted and it showed many things. Mainly, the majority of voters were apathetic. They didn't care enough to vote. Of the groups that voted one won and the other lost. The times I was in town leading up to the vote I didn't see much in the way of campaigning. If you don't like this outcome, remember to campaign for your cause harder next time and get people to vote. Your stuck with these results for a long time.

Bradford, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2013

Judged:

wack em wrote:
<quoted text>That's fine. I don't live in Randolph county. But going to another county will probably cost more than you save. Stick to your principles, it's admirable though sometimes costly.
you don't even live in Randolph county.
WTF why are you even on this board?
and YOU have the balls to tell me I will probably spend more going somewhere else to spend MY money.

what a DA doesn't even live here but will travel here to spend 'ITS" money to support a splash pad NOT a water park.

you are not" wack em" but a" wack O"
wack em

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2013

Judged:

I live 11 miles from the bridge. A penny sales tax isn't going to break me. To save enough to pay for a gallon of gas I would have to buy 350$ worth of taxable goods. I'll pay the penny.

Bradford, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2013

Judged:

My child is happy wrote:
<quoted text>. Why are you crying like a child that had lost his toys? You are always cutting down our city officials the problem with you is your mouth! Only Poor leadership is you . If you feel depress go to the doctor! If you feel like the city officials needs a change then run for office! The election is over ! Please put it to rest! Thank you!
if this makes your child happy you need to get him to the Doctor ASAP.

my children find happiness being with our family doing family things sad your child will only be happy swimming in a pool. one day it will be something else then what are you going to do?

Jonesboro, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2013

Judged:

I talked with several ppl prior to the election who said that they didn't intend on voting because they didn't care one way or the other! I wander if this is how the majority felt?
oldtimer

Ash Flat, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2013

Judged:

guest wrote:
I talked with several ppl prior to the election who said that they didn't intend on voting because they didn't care one way or the other! I wander if this is how the majority felt?
probably
Over

Jonesboro, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2013

Judged:

guest wrote:
Exactly what I was getting at earlier.

You guys want more revenue for the hospital and road improvement? TURN RANDOLPH WET!!! Now we're talking tens of thousands of tax dollars floating away to Missouri, Greene Co, and soon Sharp Co.

This is what we need now, keep that money local and use the revenue to fix the road to Missouri, do something about the energy costs to possible business coming to town, and keep the hospital rolling.

It may be just that simple, the problem is getting past the 2000 churches in this town.

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2013

Judged:

you get what you deserve. Play the hand win or lose. But, this thing has raised my awareness of how sloppy City of Pocahontas is with spending tax monies. I'll make sure I think about how I spend in Poky now. Council will scoff at the loss of my $125 or so revenue...but that's OK....LOL
Angelo Coppola

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2013

I am looking at forming a water polio league I was injured years ago playing donkey basket ball and I really miss sports . I love to play polio an think this may be good for the community. I heard that some guys already have been practicing at Baltz Lake if you are interested meet out there Friday. I think that Several people in community may get involved an may host a county tournament by next year. Could even make the Olympic trials with some hard work. We take beer an smoke breaks every twenty minutes or so if you have an old soccer ball bring it See you Friday also looking for a sponsor
oldtimer

Ash Flat, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2013

Angelo Coppola wrote:
I am looking at forming a water polio league I was injured years ago playing donkey basket ball and I really miss sports . I love to play polio an think this may be good for the community. I heard that some guys already have been practicing at Baltz Lake if you are interested meet out there Friday. I think that Several people in community may get involved an may host a county tournament by next year. Could even make the Olympic trials with some hard work. We take beer an smoke breaks every twenty minutes or so if you have an old soccer ball bring it See you Friday also looking for a sponsor
also new field to play on

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Pocahontas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 16 min BARNEYII 29,504
Kids First 1 hr Nobody 6
AR More than 1,000 dead birds fall from sky in Ark (Jan '11) 5 hr guest 9,829
wreck 10 hr Guest 26
Hospital Tax 11 hr outoftowner 56
hydrotemp? (Oct '09) 15 hr Noneofurbusiness 83
school 19 hr curious 7

Search the Pocahontas Forum:
•••
•••