I've got a better way to spend 7.5 mi...

I've got a better way to spend 7.5 million dollars...

Posted in the Pocahontas Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Just a thought

Ash Flat, AR

#1 Jun 16, 2013
If the swim team supporters and the attorneys that think spending 7.5 million dollars on a swimming pool will bring in business to this town. How about this idea? Take the 7.5 million dollars and use it to finish the four lane from Pocahontas through to Missouri. If everyone thinks we are struggling now wait until the new highway bypasses us and it probably will.

Judged:

11

11

11

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
good idea

Ash Flat, AR

#2 Jun 16, 2013
Now that's an idea that could realistically bring in jobs other than part time lifeguards.

Judged:

11

11

11

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Good idea but

Foley, AL

#3 Jun 16, 2013
Just a thought wrote:
If the swim team supporters and the attorneys that think spending 7.5 million dollars on a swimming pool will bring in business to this town. How about this idea? Take the 7.5 million dollars and use it to finish the four lane from Pocahontas through to Missouri. If everyone thinks we are struggling now wait until the new highway bypasses us and it probably will.
7.5 miles wouldn't even get it half way to the county line.

Judged:

14

13

13

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
just a thought

Ash Flat, AR

#4 Jun 17, 2013
Good idea but wrote:
<quoted text>
7.5 miles wouldn't even get it half way to the county line.
You are right with that point. However, if you remember the gentleman from Poplar Bluff (can not remember his name)said the way that Poplar Bluff got their highway project improved so quickly was that the voters of Butler county provided a substantial monetary amount to move the project up on the "Important Projects" list. This would be a good way to show we are interested in moving forward with a project that would make a "real" difference.

Judged:

11

11

11

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
WHAT A JOKE

United States

#5 Jun 17, 2013
County needs too start shopping in Doniphan...If we don't have a voice in voting we have the right to shop were we want ...
Over

Jonesboro, AR

#6 Jun 17, 2013
Something like 6.5% of the citizens of Pocahontas voted against it. That means the other 93.5% of the voters in the town were either A) for it, B) not opposed to it, or C) lazy asses who didnt vote against it and have zero grounds to whine about it based on that fact alone.

It's done. It's over. If we want more jobs, lets have some ideas. This vote is done with.
could

Bexar, AR

#7 Jun 17, 2013
give $1000.00 to every man. woman, and child in the city.
point is

Bexar, AR

#8 Jun 17, 2013
Over wrote:
Something like 6.5% of the citizens of Pocahontas voted against it. That means the other 93.5% of the voters in the town were either A) for it, B) not opposed to it, or C) lazy asses who didnt vote against it and have zero grounds to whine about it based on that fact alone.
It's done. It's over. If we want more jobs, lets have some ideas. This vote is done with.
how many eligible voters in the city?
how many registered voters in the city?
how many voted in the last general election?
how many voted in the last 2 special elections?

why did the city run this thru as a special election?
scared of a normal vote?

may be over but will not be forgotten when almost all in the county pay 1% for 12 yrs and 1/2% forever.

$1.3 million a year for 12 yrs and after that $500k/yr forever just got taken out of the local economy so a small number of kids can play and swim = regression, NOT progress.

poor leadership by city officials.

want more jobs vs regression - have less taxes and more money in the local economy instead of spending 7.5 million so a very very small minority can swim in an enclosed heated pool in the winter.
its my right

Ash Flat, AR

#9 Jun 17, 2013
Over wrote:
Something like 6.5% of the citizens of Pocahontas voted against it. That means the other 93.5% of the voters in the town were either A) for it, B) not opposed to it, or C) lazy asses who didnt vote against it and have zero grounds to whine about it based on that fact alone.
It's done. It's over. If we want more jobs, lets have some ideas. This vote is done with.
Well I proudly voted against it, so I have all the right in the world to gripe about being bent over a barrel by the attorney and his masked bandits.

Judged:

10

10

10

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
guest

Gore Springs, MS

#10 Jun 17, 2013
Over wrote:
Something like 6.5% of the citizens of Pocahontas voted against it. That means the other 93.5% of the voters in the town were either A) for it, B) not opposed to it, or C) lazy asses who didnt vote against it and have zero grounds to whine about it based on that fact alone.
It's done. It's over. If we want more jobs, lets have some ideas. This vote is done with.
The PROGRESS team said this would bring in jobs
pool complex was progress idea
are you now saying this pool complex will not bring in jobs?
liar

Horseshoe Bend, AR

#11 Jun 17, 2013
Over wrote:
Something like 6.5% of the citizens of Pocahontas voted against it. That means the other 93.5% of the voters in the town were either A) for it, B) not opposed to it, or C) lazy asses who didnt vote against it and have zero grounds to whine about it based on that fact alone.
It's done. It's over. If we want more jobs, lets have some ideas. This vote is done with.
according to the star herald it was 53% for and 47% against,
Besides being and uninformed fool you also are a liar.
Al sexton

United States

#12 Jun 17, 2013
could wrote:
give $1000.00 to every man. woman, and child in the city.
Briilant idea a week later you would be broke again
well

Bexar, AR

#13 Jun 17, 2013
Al sexton wrote:
<quoted text> Briilant idea a week later you would be broke again
most of the folks would at least have something besides a pool they'll never use.

spend it as THEY wish. put it in the bank for a later need or emergency, help with the bills for a while, food, clothes, catch up on payments, fix a car, buy a washer and dryer, fridge, ac unit, etc.

some would have one heck of a party for a week.
some would cry with joy to have the most money they've ever seen.
i see said the blind man

Bexar, AR

#14 Jun 17, 2013
Over wrote:
Something like 6.5% of the citizens of Pocahontas voted against it. That means the other 93.5% of the voters in the town were either A) for it, B) not opposed to it, or C) lazy asses who didnt vote against it and have zero grounds to whine about it based on that fact alone.
It's done. It's over. If we want more jobs, lets have some ideas. This vote is done with.
so maybe 7% voted for it. very weak support and turnout. 93% didn't vote for it.
My child is happy

Jonesboro, AR

#17 Jun 18, 2013
point is wrote:
<quoted text>
how many eligible voters in the city?
how many registered voters in the city?
how many voted in the last general election?
how many voted in the last 2 special elections?
why did the city run this thru as a special election?
scared of a normal vote?
may be over but will not be forgotten when almost all in the county pay 1% for 12 yrs and 1/2% forever.
$1.3 million a year for 12 yrs and after that $500k/yr forever just got taken out of the local economy so a small number of kids can play and swim = regression, NOT progress.
poor leadership by city officials.
want more jobs vs regression - have less taxes and more money in the local economy instead of spending 7.5 million so a very very small minority can swim in an enclosed heated pool in the winter.
. Why are you crying like a child that had lost his toys? You are always cutting down our city officials the problem with you is your mouth! Only Poor leadership is you . If you feel depress go to the doctor! If you feel like the city officials needs a change then run for office! The election is over ! Please put it to rest! Thank you!
Over

United States

#18 Jun 18, 2013
i see said the blind man wrote:
<quoted text>so maybe 7% voted for it. very weak support and turnout. 93% didn't vote for it.
Agreed. 93% didnt vote for it, but 93% didnt vote against it either.

Simple, you don't want the pool, organize, vote, and defeat it. That didnt happen, it passed, so now those who were the few who voted against it can complain, the ones for it can be proud, and every single one that didnt vote either way can have a big drink of the STFU cola.

Here's my point. VOTE people. Either way. Say there's 4000 registered voters in town. Still, less than 25% voted. That means 75% didnt care enough about the 1% tax to take 5 minutes out of their life playing candy crush, drinking beer, goofing off, or whatever to make their voice heard.

It passed. I voted for it simply because everyone constantly whines and bitches that there isn't anything for kids to do in this town. Well, now there's at least one thing and its open to everyone.

If you don't like it, too late now.

What are some other ideas to generate a) jobs and b) things for our children to do that would have been a better option than this?

Hell, for that matter, what else could have done something to spur the local economy?

Do some digging, you'll find the issues are a hell of a lot deeper than a new pool or the possible bypass of Pocahontas and it probably has a lot to do with a very small percentage of people in this town who care nothing about the growth of the town or the people in it, but more about their own personal financial wealth instead.

Start there, and figure out where to go from there. Hand wringing about the pool at this point is worthless.
Over

United States

#19 Jun 18, 2013
liar wrote:
<quoted text>according to the star herald it was 53% for and 47% against,
Besides being and uninformed fool you also are a liar.
Good lord, read my post a little closer. Never said 93% voted for it. That was option A, a joke to illustrate how clear it was that option C was a much more likely reality.
no thanks

Bexar, AR

#20 Jun 18, 2013
My child is happy wrote:
<quoted text>. Why are you crying like a child that had lost his toys? You are always cutting down our city officials the problem with you is your mouth! Only Poor leadership is you . If you feel depress go to the doctor! If you feel like the city officials needs a change then run for office! The election is over ! Please put it to rest! Thank you!
not crying, no lost toys, no problem with my mouth, no poor leadership by me, not depressed, can't run for office in the city, won't put it to rest, no thanks.

did you tell your happy child that thousands of people will suffer real actual hardships for his WANTS and happiness?
did you tell your happy child that others will now have to pay thousands of their dollars that they NEEDED to spend elsewhere?
Guest

Mountain Home, AR

#21 Jun 18, 2013
Jesse Sharpton wrote:
<quoted text>
True, but with 7.5 million invested into the local economy instead of wasted on a glorified septic tank hereafter known as "Griders Folly".
Just think a few years ago when he was indicted for stealing child support money, if his daddy had not cut a deal with the feds we would not have him in office and he would not be a lawyer. It is also funny how his daddy came up broke all of a sudden when the feds imposed a fine on him which he still has not paid. If a person wonders why Pocahontas is never going anywhere maybe they should look at who we let run it.
guest

Gore Springs, MS

#22 Jun 18, 2013
I guess a good way to get over it is to not spend your money in Pocahontas now who really has the last vote?

progress said this would bring in business

I AM STILL WAITING FOR THAT ANNOUNCMENT

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pocahontas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 3 min BARNEYII 35,367
Wreck on bridge??? 7 hr Just me 9
Greg Godwin (Oct '16) 10 hr DirtSandwich 10
Matt jansen (Aug '16) Fri Amy Swann 16
you Fri Condom Dealer 4
Looking for a clean 3 bedroom for rent Fri DirtSandwich 5
City Police Apr 27 Guest 7

Pocahontas Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pocahontas Mortgages