Abandoned Montgomery County Infant's ...

Abandoned Montgomery County Infant's Mother ID'd

There are 54 comments on the NBC 10 Philadelphia story from Sep 9, 2008, titled Abandoned Montgomery County Infant's Mother ID'd. In it, NBC 10 Philadelphia reports that:

Police in Montgomery County on Tuesday said they've located the mother of a baby abandoned under a flagpole at the Plymouth Fire Company on Sunday morning.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC 10 Philadelphia.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Apr 08

Berks County, PA

#47 Sep 10, 2008
Sue wrote:
This is an example of what happens when someone doesn't know the law. "Safe havens" in Pennsylvania are only hospitals because in suburban & rural area your fire houses and police stations aren't manned 24/7. She had the right idea but wrong information. We need to get the CORRECT info out to the public so it doesn't happen again.
I agree 100%. After this story first hit the news on Monday, I e-mailed channel 10 and told them they had a perfect opportunity to publicize the Safe Haven Law so people ARE aware of how to do this properly. The media is so quick to jump on something like this, but then drops the ball when it comes to educating the public.
Unbelievable
#48 Sep 10, 2008
mom wrote:
a woman with the courage to surrender her child should not be the center of a televised witch hunt.
she did seek safety for the infant.
more responsible tv reporting could be to simply announce the child's safe recovery and thank her for the wonderful gift of life she gave to another family.
unwanted publicity may deter a mother of any age from making want may be the most important decision of her life.
there are many, many babies who would be far better off in a family who wants them.
more importantly, reeducate the public on safe haven rules.
courage? Courage is doing this the proper way - not dropping it by the flag pole and hiding.
Befuddled

Malvern, PA

#49 Sep 10, 2008
Leave the woman alone. It's easy for all of us to sit here and pass judgement without knowing the whole story. Nobody was there to know why she did it. There was a reason she did it, and I think we can all agree that she did the best thing she could by notifying the police about the baby.

If she had chucked the baby in a trashcan or dumpster, eveyone would have something real to pis s and moan about, but she DIDN'T! She got that baby some help immediately, and it's the baby who matters the most in this case.

She may realize 2 days from now that it wasn't in her best interest to drop the baby off like she did, and maybe she will decide to keep the baby, who knows!? I hope she does decide to keep him, but if she doesn't, that precious baby will most definitely have a loving home through adoption.
Unbelievable
#50 Sep 10, 2008
Befuddled wrote:
Leave the woman alone. It's easy for all of us to sit here and pass judgement without knowing the whole story. Nobody was there to know why she did it. There was a reason she did it, and I think we can all agree that she did the best thing she could by notifying the police about the baby.
If she had chucked the baby in a trashcan or dumpster, eveyone would have something real to pis s and moan about, but she DIDN'T! She got that baby some help immediately, and it's the baby who matters the most in this case.
She may realize 2 days from now that it wasn't in her best interest to drop the baby off like she did, and maybe she will decide to keep the baby, who knows!? I hope she does decide to keep him, but if she doesn't, that precious baby will most definitely have a loving home through adoption.
I'm sure she already realizes it wasn't in her best interest to do this, since they have found her. And if she decides she wants it back, and they actually give it to her, then shame on the system for letting this irresponsible person have a child.

What she did was a crime. If we start letting crimes go because "we don't know the whole story" then where does it end? Does leaving a baby at a flag pole become the new thing to do, because lets face it, everyone is just going to say "Oh, leave her alone, she did the right thing.." No - laws are made to be followed - and its a slippery slope when you start picking and choosing which ones to follow becaue of unknown circumstances. This woman had an EASY alternative - leave it at a hospital as the law allows. Wow - how horrible that the law would require you to leave it in someone's care rather than next to a flag pole.
browneyed62

Trenton, NJ

#51 Sep 10, 2008
at least she didn't murder the baby like some many other parents, like the women in ohio getting life for putting her daughter in the mircowave. she should have given the baby up for adoption the normal way, but like i said she didn't kill her child.
smoothsprout

Philadelphia, PA

#52 Sep 10, 2008
NJGirl72 wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. Although I'm suprised to find out that she's 29 years old, the truth is that we have no idea why she did what she did and for all we know there may be a logical explanation. I give her some credit...At least she didn't harm or kill the child and alerted authorities right away to where she left the baby. I sincerely hope that the authorities don't try to prosecute her or publicly embarrass her by releasing her identity...it'll only do more harm than good.
the authorities have already stated they will not prosecute under the shelter law even though the firehouse is not included under that law, only hospitals in pa. my brother, who has been trying to adopt another child since adopting his first, is one in a long line of people trying to adopt this baby. if anyone knows anyone in the montgomery county system, please post. thanks
smoothsprout

Philadelphia, PA

#53 Sep 10, 2008

The following article is from the local paper printed this morning:

PLYMOUTH - The mother of the newborn boy found outside a firehouse Sunday has been identified by police.
Plymouth Township police Chief Joseph Lawrence would not name the baby boy's mother, but identified her as a 29-year-old woman from the "Norristown area."
"This person is cooperating with us," he said. "There are no charges placed against her at this time."
Lawrence said Plymouth police detectives learned who the mother was by following up on leads.
The abandoned child was found in front of the flagpole at Plymouth Fire Company on Colwell Lane at 3:05 a.m. Sunday.
The infant, believed to be no more than an hour old, was wrapped in a T-shirt, according to the Montgomery County District Attorney's Office.
An unidentified woman called 911 just after 3 a.m. Sunday to say the baby had been left outside the fire station. The call was traced to a pay phone at the Lukoil service station at Ridge Pike and Colwell Lane, police reported.
When the 911 operator requested the caller stay on the line, she reportedly said that she didn't want to hold on and ended the call, according to the DA's office.
Police brought the newborn child to Montgomery Hospital Sunday morning for a physical examination. The infant was reportedly in stable condition Monday.
On Tuesday, the infant was placed under the supervision of Montgomery County Office of Children and Youth.
Pennsylvania is one of 48 states with a safe haven law.
According to the state's Department of Public Welfare, the law allows a parent to "legally and confidentially" turn over an unwanted infant, up to 28 days old, to any hospital as an alternative to abandonment.
Babies can be handed over to any hospital staff member or, if a person is unwilling or unable to wait, signs will direct them where to place the baby at the hospital, according to Pennsylvania's Department of Public Welfare.
As long as the child is unharmed, parents will not be asked any questions.
Though the firehouse doesn't meet the definition of "hospital," Lawrence has no plans to arrest the mother.
"We're just concerned about her health," he said.
District Attorney Risa Vetri Ferman said Tuesday that her office would evaluate the matter after Plymouth Police Department concludes its investigation.
Befuddled

Malvern, PA

#54 Sep 10, 2008
Unbelievable wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sure she already realizes it wasn't in her best interest to do this, since they have found her. And if she decides she wants it back, and they actually give it to her, then shame on the system for letting this irresponsible person have a child.
What she did was a crime. If we start letting crimes go because "we don't know the whole story" then where does it end? Does leaving a baby at a flag pole become the new thing to do, because lets face it, everyone is just going to say "Oh, leave her alone, she did the right thing.." No - laws are made to be followed - and its a slippery slope when you start picking and choosing which ones to follow becaue of unknown circumstances. This woman had an EASY alternative - leave it at a hospital as the law allows. Wow - how horrible that the law would require you to leave it in someone's care rather than next to a flag pole.
But, apparently, this woman had no idea that the firehouse was not a safe haven dropoff point. Each event is treated differently. If this woman had no idea that firehouses were off limits as a 'safe haven', how could she be charged for this?

Suppose this woman was raped 9 months ago and never reported it? I wouldn't want to keep a baby in that case, either. And if she WAS raped, she chose not to abort the baby, which was admirable.
Unbelievable
#55 Sep 10, 2008
Befuddled wrote:
<quoted text>
But, apparently, this woman had no idea that the firehouse was not a safe haven dropoff point. Each event is treated differently. If this woman had no idea that firehouses were off limits as a 'safe haven', how could she be charged for this?
Suppose this woman was raped 9 months ago and never reported it? I wouldn't want to keep a baby in that case, either. And if she WAS raped, she chose not to abort the baby, which was admirable.
But she had 9 months to find out what the safe haven law was. ignorance of the law is no excuse!
Gimme Shelter

Philadelphia, PA

#56 Sep 10, 2008
Unbelievable wrote:
<quoted text>
But she had 9 months to find out what the safe haven law was. ignorance of the law is no excuse!
Could be 9 months ago, everything in her life was fine with a bright future. Like I posted before, no one but the parents knows the exact circumstances leading up to this. And you never know, she just may have saved the kids life with her actions.
Just a reply

Wilmington, DE

#58 Sep 10, 2008
Marie wrote:
If she was black her name and face would have been splattered all over the news and TV.
Race crap again, it's a baby, who cares the color. Grow up
Miranda

Newark, DE

#60 Sep 10, 2008
This women used the Safe Haven law!

Maybe she misunderstood the law, but come on people this law was not put in place to protect unwanted babies from well educated and informed parents (with out judgment of this particular mother)
This may seem harsh but babies very well may end up in trash cans because this case will scare off already scared mothers!
I am outraged that they tracked this mother down at all.
Mysty

AOL

#61 Sep 10, 2008
I don't feel that people nor the media should be judgemental about the mother because no one knows the reasoning behind what she did. Maybe she has problems or issues and she just didn't know what to do. People are quick to put down the mother's of these abandoned babies, but what about the fathers? They did have a part in it as well and men play too many games on women today. I'd say give a safer haven for women to leave their child/children at a few places other then a hospital where everyone will see you going in with a child and make comments of how cute etc. Help these lost souls out because it's not easy giving up a child and yet some women have no choice but to give them up. If they can't take care of themselves they surely can't take care of a child.
Mysty

AOL

#62 Sep 10, 2008
People grow up and get a grip this isn't about race - it's not a race issues! It's about a baby - a innocent child and maybe the mother did the best thing for the child. No one can judge someone's actions without knowing everything that may have led up to abandoning the baby. Who knows what happened between the mother and father of the child. Who knows maybe he's a fire fighter and that's why she left him there. That was my 1ST thought, but no matter what have a heart and know that maybe this mother is depressed or has some other medical condition. Just be thankful that she had enough sense to call and report the child there. Have some compassion for both the mother and child. At least the child wasn't put in a trunk of a car, in a suitcase, etc. I'd say any women who can leave her child without harming them says a lot. She didn't run to a butcher shop - she gave life and probably a life that someone who really wants a child could adopt and raise. WOMEN out there just remember everything falls in the women's lap while the man can go his way and be a romeo. Start putting the father's names out there and she what happens. Then maybe men will step up to the plate and take responsibility instead of dumping the women and child, or denying being the father. Kudos to this mom for at least letting someone know that the child was there.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Plymouth Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
570MENU.COM | Online Restaurant Menu Directory ... Jun 24 junu95 1
Export pizza to the rest of the world. Jun 7 Edward 1
News Social Security disability approvals decline (Dec '13) May 31 lady 107
How to stop a bully May '16 Fred 1
News Why won't IHOP open a restaurant in Wilkes-Barr... (Feb '15) May '16 Antoinett 3
News Luzerne County population down May '16 good riddance 1
Patricia Stark is still charged with homicide o... (Aug '06) May '16 Dominic Devarney ... 44

Plymouth Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Plymouth Mortgages