Metro leaders weigh in on Met Council...

Metro leaders weigh in on Met Council's mission

There are 13 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Jan 10, 2011, titled Metro leaders weigh in on Met Council's mission. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

The Metropolitan Council taxes metro residents, transports them across the Twin Cities by bus and rail, funds regional parks and affordable housing and even deals with the waste taxpayers flush down the toilet.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

queenie

Minneapolis, MN

#1 Jan 11, 2011
oooh my god...the gov. planners are the gov. spenders...Why are these bureaucratic minds always thinking about the future! I think the future people should solve their own problems...as it is now..future people will have to pay off the here and now gargantuan gov. projects.plus their own era projects...Please, just quit lying about this ..as always for "the future" and than cry about the poor children will have to pay all this vision planning for the future. No one says how this will be paid for...and why we donot know {residents}about this Met Council, is this paper hardly keeps u s informed,,and well, the primping and posing beauties on local tv could care less. they probably dont know about the planning Metro council...I appreciate this one article..I repeat, let the future people decide what they want and need. I believe there are too many in Minnesota all planning as they think this is their purpose in life..its like "Leave us alone" but than this is how they get paid...yishhhh''The thinkers" tough job...
Kevin G

Hugo, MN

#2 Jan 11, 2011
The meeting went something like this : Social Engineering. Everybody got that? Good, meeting adjourned.
Towing

Saint Paul, MN

#3 Jan 11, 2011
Kevin G wrote:
The meeting went something like this : Social Engineering. Everybody got that? Good, meeting adjourned.
Well said - brief but to an important point. MTC needs to quit trying to turn the region "outside-in". Get out of growth management (aka Local Government Micro Management), and follow Roger Scherer's advice regarding personal choisce as to where one lives.
Curmudgeon

Saint Paul, MN

#4 Jan 11, 2011
Met Council needs to be disbanded. They are out of step with nearly everything they have control of. Most especially this crap housing they are trying to force down cities throats.
Rice St

Minneapolis, MN

#5 Jan 11, 2011
The Met-Council is Government with in Government.

It is a Government Society with its own Clinics, Councilors, Police Force, & Diversity programs!

Ex Politicians, Ex Football stars, Ex Media and Activist are gainfully employed at the Met and Most make over $150k.

No White Males Need Apply!
Higher Standards

Portland, OR

#6 Jan 11, 2011
I know many of their section 8 participants do not meet guidelines. Some, maybe 20% from what I've seen have multiple evictions, felonies, and drugs charges when the program is not set up for that. They need an audit, they need higher standards as they have a high waiting list, and they should go back to helping more seniors instead of more younger people who can and should work.

I;ve seen a lot of waste and it costs way more than hundreds of millions when you factor in that they don't pay property taxes, get grants for their buildings, and block certain tenants from moving out of the homes that's managed by their divisions. This program runs well over a billion a year easily.
767driver

Hopkins, MN

#7 Jan 11, 2011
Time to get rid of the MC. Privatize the whole state! No more Union overhead.
Doobie Brother

Saint Paul, MN

#8 Jan 11, 2011
Dayton, don't tkae the yellowpills yet and dismantle this metro turd.
Bill

Long Lake, MN

#9 Jan 11, 2011
MC is nothing but another layer of very expensive government.

All it manages could be handeled by other State or local agencies.

In North Saint Paul the mayor also works for the MC, can anyone spell conflict of interest? The mayor is nothing but a lobbiest for the MC.

WHY is government lobbying other government?

START CUTTING WITH THE MC!!!!!!!!!!
PB in St Paul

Saint Paul, MN

#10 Jan 11, 2011
I have to agree with Mr. Krinkie. They are basically a quite large public agency, but without the oversite state agencies are under. When it comes to government agencies I feel that is asking for trouble. And allowing all members to be appointed by the governor without any ratification process opens the door for it to become very political. And that's something we need less of, politics in agencies/departments that are there to serve the public.
Ban Ki Moon

Monroe, LA

#11 Jan 11, 2011
"Agenda 21" and more UN bullcrap is their goal.
Leprechaun

Minneapolis, MN

#12 Jan 11, 2011
"Roads and bridges are as important as bus and rail, and the Met Council can play an important role" - What about the MN Department of Transportation?

"whether the Met Council should partner with the private sector and promote job growth" - What about the MN Dept of Economic Development?

"partner in the thinking, planning and investing to make the neighborhoods adjacent to the light rail lines better places to live, work and access opportunity." - City Councils

"You should make the Metropolitan Council a state agency. It has grown to be such a behemoth." -
Enough government expansion, already!

""In member selection, those who have served at the local level in elected office who understand the transportation needs in the community would be assets to the council." - Life long bureaucrat employment
Lake Elmo Resident

Minneapolis, MN

#13 Jan 11, 2011
Get the Met Council dictators off the backs of the residents of Lake Elmo. We have the best planning in the 7 county metro and the Met Council is doing everything in its power to destroy it.

If the framers of the Constitution wanted corporations to vote, it could have given corporations to vote. Lake Elmo used to make decisions based on the best interests of the residents -- the ones allowed to voter. The Met Council has overruled the voters and put land speculators and developers in charge of the future of Lake Elmo.

How can a city with a government designed to provide minimal services to mostly self reliant residents take on the urban problems that plague cities planned to accommodate residents who require on the kind of health, security, and transportation services needed in Mpls, St. Paul, Maplewood, Stillwater, etc.?

Does every single city in the 7 county metro area have to participate in the race to the bottom? The area schools are succeeding in getting all students down to the level of the least capable students and now the cities have to all have rotten apples spoiling everything. Social engineering at its worst. Maybe people who try hard, succeed in life and family, care for the environment, and respect their fellow residents, should have a place live apart from the lazy, the unsuccessful, the environmentally unconscious, and those who have no respect for either themselves or their fellow residents and neighbors. Money for Met Council sewers should have no part in the distruction of the best in the Region. For every $1 the Met Council claims to save by shoving regional sewer down the throats of Lake Elmo, the residents will have to spend many times this much to pay the price of urban destruction and quality of life. Enough !!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Plymouth Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Maple Grove Arrest (Nov '08) Aug 18 Hhh 2
Shopper City (Mar '06) Aug 16 Anonymous 40
Buckhorn fire 3-18-72 ~ Photo by Ken Siljander (Jul '14) Jun '16 Colonel 4
Restaurant recommendations May '16 WildLifeLover 2
Debate: Debt Ceiling - Plymouth, MN (Jul '11) Feb '15 bill shannon 3
Crosswalk violation? Who's? (Aug '12) Jan '15 Killer Crosswalks 4
News Christopher & Banks to close its high-end Acorn... (Jul '08) Sep '14 JackieB 20

Plymouth Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Plymouth Mortgages