Ruben Rosario: He killed her son; she forgave him

There are 17 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Dec 23, 2010, titled Ruben Rosario: He killed her son; she forgave him. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Mary Johnson runs the From Death to Life non-profit which brings together the parents of those who killed with the parents of those who were killed, and she posed for pictures with Oshea Isreal, who killed Johnson's son in 1993, and Carol Green, Oshea's mother, in Minneapolis at the St.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

give peas a chance

United States

#2 Dec 23, 2010
Story was somewhat poorly written. Subject of story is confusing. We're supposed to forgive a murderer who should be in prison for the rest of his life? Turn the other cheek, forgive because that's the polite thing to do?

Bull.
anonymous

Saint Paul, MN

#3 Dec 24, 2010
I agree that this story was poorly written, okay very poorly written. Yet, I am still able to get the jest of what the message is; forgiveness. Mary Johnson has taken a tragic experience and turned it into a positive. I wish them all the very best.
DCfromSTP

Saint Paul, MN

#4 Dec 24, 2010
Great story!!! I wish more people knew about it.
blip

Saint Paul, MN

#5 Dec 24, 2010
Delusion: it's good for what ails ya!
Go Away Ruben

Minneapolis, MN

#8 Dec 24, 2010
A typical holiday tearjerker from Ruben.
Brian Mogren

Minneapolis, MN

#12 Dec 24, 2010
I invite those who have difficulty with this column to realize that the entire (18 year) story could not possibly be told in one column. These individuals, who are dear friends of mine, have transformed the pain of this tragic, tragic event into something that is beautiful and life giving. They have now dedicated their lives to working to end the cycle of violence and insanity plaguing our communities. To seeing that our young people experience themselves as important and valuable and having something to contribute to society. That they need not turn to alcohol, drugs, gangs and other self-destructive behavior in response to their experience of frustration and hopelessness. And that families never again have to go through the pain of losing a loved one to homicide or prison because of homicide. Mary, Oshea, Carol and the other mothers and fathers in the From Death To Life healing group have credibility and are unique in their capacity to do that. When Mary and Oshea share their story, young people's ears perk up and eyes open wide. Cynics and resigned people take notice. Prisoners are moved to tears. Church congregations are moved to action. Parents are talking to their kids differently. The cycle is being interrupted and I am witnessing it first hand. This is truly a triumph over the past. Whether you wish to celebrate it or not, is your choice. Instead of taking time to disparage it though, I invite you to use your time and energy to making a positive difference in the world. Call someone who you have a grievance with and extend or ask for forgiveness, and experience the joy and freedom of reconciliation first hand. Have a miracle happen this Christmas in your own life, and then share the joy and love with others. It's what Christmas is all about, and why these courageous people chose to share their very personal story in such a public way.

"Truly He taught us to love one another, His law is love and His Gospel is peace." Peace and love to all on this holy night and beyond...
Conservative

AOL

#13 Dec 24, 2010
I can't read any more of Ruben's crap despite the previous comment of forgiveness. I must have a cold heart but in my memory and experience this can't be what "Christmas is about". Guess I'm going to hell.
Human Nature Is Cruel

Minneapolis, MN

#14 Dec 24, 2010
Brian Mogren wrote:
I invite those who have difficulty with this column to realize that the entire (18 year) story could not possibly be told in one column. These individuals, who are dear friends of mine, have transformed the pain of this tragic, tragic event into something that is beautiful and life giving. They have now dedicated their lives to working to end the cycle of violence and insanity plaguing our communities. To seeing that our young people experience themselves as important and valuable and having something to contribute to society. That they need not turn to alcohol, drugs, gangs and other self-destructive behavior in response to their experience of frustration and hopelessness. And that families never again have to go through the pain of losing a loved one to homicide or prison because of homicide. Mary, Oshea, Carol and the other mothers and fathers in the From Death To Life healing group have credibility and are unique in their capacity to do that. When Mary and Oshea share their story, young people's ears perk up and eyes open wide. Cynics and resigned people take notice. Prisoners are moved to tears. Church congregations are moved to action. Parents are talking to their kids differently. The cycle is being interrupted and I am witnessing it first hand. This is truly a triumph over the past. Whether you wish to celebrate it or not, is your choice. Instead of taking time to disparage it though, I invite you to use your time and energy to making a positive difference in the world. Call someone who you have a grievance with and extend or ask for forgiveness, and experience the joy and freedom of reconciliation first hand. Have a miracle happen this Christmas in your own life, and then share the joy and love with others. It's what Christmas is all about, and why these courageous people chose to share their very personal story in such a public way.
"Truly He taught us to love one another, His law is love and His Gospel is peace." Peace and love to all on this holy night and beyond...
You are a wise and kind person. Unfortunately, the majority of posters on the Topix forum are not. There is more ignorance, intolerance and hate on this site then any other I've seen. It is a very sad example of what is wrong with our society that so many people post negative, mean-spirited, vile and racist comments about other people they don't know and situations they have no knowledge of other then what is reported by the media. Even uplifting stories of love, hope and forgiveness, such as this one, do not escape their wrath. Thank you for your post, my friend. Peace to you and have a very blessed Christmas.
MsDemeanor

Minneapolis, MN

#15 Dec 24, 2010
Brian Mogren wrote:
I invite those who have difficulty with this column to realize that the entire (18 year) story could not possibly be told in one column. These individuals, who are dear friends of mine, have transformed the pain of this tragic, tragic event into something that is beautiful and life giving. They have now dedicated their lives to working to end the cycle of violence and insanity plaguing our communities. To seeing that our young people experience themselves as important and valuable and having something to contribute to society. That they need not turn to alcohol, drugs, gangs and other self-destructive behavior in response to their experience of frustration and hopelessness. And that families never again have to go through the pain of losing a loved one to homicide or prison because of homicide. Mary, Oshea, Carol and the other mothers and fathers in the From Death To Life healing group have credibility and are unique in their capacity to do that. When Mary and Oshea share their story, young people's ears perk up and eyes open wide. Cynics and resigned people take notice. Prisoners are moved to tears. Church congregations are moved to action. Parents are talking to their kids differently. The cycle is being interrupted and I am witnessing it first hand. This is truly a triumph over the past. Whether you wish to celebrate it or not, is your choice. Instead of taking time to disparage it though, I invite you to use your time and energy to making a positive difference in the world. Call someone who you have a grievance with and extend or ask for forgiveness, and experience the joy and freedom of reconciliation first hand. Have a miracle happen this Christmas in your own life, and then share the joy and love with others. It's what Christmas is all about, and why these courageous people chose to share their very personal story in such a public way.
"Truly He taught us to love one another, His law is love and His Gospel is peace." Peace and love to all on this holy night and beyond...
Honestly, I don't know that I could be that big a person. WoW, what a difficult life's lesson! God Bless.
Politically Incorrect

Shakopee, MN

#16 Dec 24, 2010
Thank you Reuben, you have finally referenced the TRUTH that Jesus Christ is Lord and LORD over ALL.
Dilemma

Cottage Grove, MN

#17 Dec 24, 2010
Ruben, why do all your columns leave me feeling like I need a shower?
Rabbi McLefsa

Saint Paul, MN

#18 Dec 24, 2010
[Thank you Reuben, you have finally referenced the TRUTH that Jesus Christ is Lord and LORD over ALL]

Who?
Commoncents

Saint Paul, MN

#22 Dec 24, 2010
rubenrosario wrote:
<quoted text>Maybe he can kill another one of her family members and then she could for give him even more, now that would be a great story
Christ came into this world to establish a pathway to redemption. Those that accept him, are truely redemmed. The thief hanging on the cross, cried out to Christ and Christ responded. " This day thou shall be with me in paridise". All you judgemental folks, shall one day, also be judged. Lets hope you find the path tto redemption, because life is short, but eternity is for ever! Remember: All have sinned and come short of the Glory of God!
Im Right u R Left

Saint Paul, MN

#25 Dec 24, 2010
I once knew a white man who loved African Americans so much..........
..

He would feed them, cloth them and even house them. And during the day gave them work in his fields.
..

Only that was way back in the old days of Southern America....before Martin Luther King.
..

I guess this nice christmas story brought him back out of the closet where he was always hiding.
..

You ever wonder why santa and jesus should be a white men even though this world is black,white & asian?
..

Merry Christmas to all you losers posting hate yet again tonight. May one day you past on and leave not a single trace of hate and ignorance for the next generations to carry on.
Prairiedoggy

De Soto, MO

#26 Dec 25, 2010
I guess this woman is doing what she has to, to survive this tragic event. I can see "forgiving" him in order to not carry this emotional burden all her life, but I can't see embracing him and letting him take the place of the son he killed. I could never do that, but for her, that must work.
PopeDope

AOL

#27 Dec 25, 2010
Commoncents wrote:
<quoted text> Christ came into this world to establish a pathway to redemption. Those that accept him, are truely redemmed. The thief hanging on the cross, cried out to Christ and Christ responded. " This day thou shall be with me in paridise". All you judgemental folks, shall one day, also be judged. Lets hope you find the path tto redemption, because life is short, but eternity is for ever! Remember: All have sinned and come short of the Glory of God!
Yeah, and you also have a bridge to sell me?

Fairy tales and B.S..
Commoncents

Minneapolis, MN

#28 Dec 25, 2010
PopeDope wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, and you also have a bridge to sell me?
Fairy tales and B.S..
Thats's why there are no atheists in a foxhole!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Plymouth Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Indian Partners With Zac Brown Band For U.S.O. ... May 19 Slowtire 1
News Robbinsdale Police Shoot Woman Who Was Allegedl... Apr '15 Important 2
News Woman Shot By Robbinsdale Officer Charged With ... Apr '15 cowboy chris 34
News Tentative agreement reached at eight Twin Citie... Mar '15 Billionaire Dayton 3
Minnesota Gardens opening in Chaska Mar '15 mngardens 1
News St. Paul / 2 men charged in fatal shooting (Feb '08) Feb '15 mrlankfard 32
Buckhorn fire 3-18-72 ~ Photo by Ken Siljander (Jul '14) Feb '15 Fritz 2
More from around the web

Plymouth People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]