Rabies shots ordered for 30 people

Rabies shots ordered for 30 people

There are 15 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Oct 23, 2006, titled Rabies shots ordered for 30 people. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

More than 30 relatives, friends and classmates of 10-year-old girl who has contracted the state's first human case of rabies in nearly 50 years will undergo inoculations to prevent any spread of the disease.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

Incomplete Story

Indianapolis, IN

#1 Oct 23, 2006
Why are we not being told the circumstances of the bite by the bat, and the rationale for not seeking immediate medical treatment at that time?
x-editor

Indianapolis, IN

#2 Oct 23, 2006
Because it's an AP story and they don't care about those facts. Maybe someone at The Star will get off their collective fat kiesters and do a real story, but I doubt it. Corporate news sucks that way.
I'd like to think she contracted the rabies because her family worships the Brown Bat as evil overlords and during a secret ceramony, she was bitten. She didn't tell her parents because in their sect, they believe once a bat bites them, the evil is transfered into their body and the other sect members have to pluck each hair individually from the victim. But that's just my theory. I'm probably wrong.
Incomplete Story wrote:
Why are we not being told the circumstances of the bite by the bat, and the rationale for not seeking immediate medical treatment at that time?
In the know

Indianapolis, IN

#3 Oct 23, 2006
The local news media (print and tv) are totally missing the boat here. This is a huge case with national and international implications if she survives. They act like it's an afterthought. Ridiculous.
John

AOL

#4 Oct 23, 2006
x-editor wrote:
Because it's an AP story and they don't care about those facts. Maybe someone at The Star will get off their collective fat kiesters and do a real story, but I doubt it. Corporate news sucks that way.
I'd like to think she contracted the rabies because her family worships the Brown Bat as evil overlords and during a secret ceramony, she was bitten. She didn't tell her parents because in their sect, they believe once a bat bites them, the evil is transfered into their body and the other sect members have to pluck each hair individually from the victim. But that's just my theory. I'm probably wrong.
<quoted text>
Whoever posted this comment is obviously a COMPLETE MORON!!!!!!! You're posting comments on the internet for the world to see, without knowing all the facts, and then you jab the family as belonging to some "bat worshiping" sect that somehow, they deserve to be in this situation. What this comes down to is this, there is a 10 year old girl, through no fault of her own who is battling for her life, what this girl needs is everyone's prayers and good thoughts, not your WEAK comedic attempt to impress your your buddies down at the roadhouse!!! Oh yeah, GENIUS, there's no "a" in ceremony!!! Maybe you ought to figure out which button runs spellcheck next time you post some other IDIOTIC comments!!
warpig

Mishawaka, IN

#5 Oct 24, 2006
John wrote:
<quoted text>
Whoever posted this comment is obviously a COMPLETE MORON!!!!!!! You're posting comments on the internet for the world to see, without knowing all the facts, and then you jab the family as belonging to some "bat worshiping" sect that somehow, they deserve to be in this situation. What this comes down to is this, there is a 10 year old girl, through no fault of her own who is battling for her life, what this girl needs is everyone's prayers and good thoughts, not your WEAK comedic attempt to impress your your buddies down at the roadhouse!!! Oh yeah, GENIUS, there's no "a" in ceremony!!! Maybe you ought to figure out which button runs spellcheck next time you post some other IDIOTIC comments!!
Amen...

One thing that people forget about is older homes have slotted vents providing outlets for HVAC and stove fans. My parents had bat problems in their old farmhouse and I covered all "Bat entry" slotted vents in their home with heavy rabbit cage wire. This kept the bats out of the house. bats are like Mice in that when the weather gets colder, they will look for a way into your home. Check those vents.
I pray for the girl and her family, I hope she recovers.
x-editor

Richmond, IN

#6 Oct 24, 2006
Methinks either my comments hit a bit close to home (bat worshiper) or someone's humour meter needs some calibration. There may not be an 'a' in ceremony, but there certainly is an 'a' in a word I'm thinking decribes you - arse.
John wrote:
<quoted text>
Whoever posted this comment is obviously a COMPLETE MORON!!!!!!! You're posting comments on the internet for the world to see, without knowing all the facts, and then you jab the family as belonging to some "bat worshiping" sect that somehow, they deserve to be in this situation. What this comes down to is this, there is a 10 year old girl, through no fault of her own who is battling for her life, what this girl needs is everyone's prayers and good thoughts, not your WEAK comedic attempt to impress your your buddies down at the roadhouse!!! Oh yeah, GENIUS, there's no "a" in ceremony!!! Maybe you ought to figure out which button runs spellcheck next time you post some other IDIOTIC comments!!
Mari - Chicago

United States

#7 Oct 24, 2006
x-editor wrote:
Methinks either my comments hit a bit close to home (bat worshiper) or someone's humour meter needs some calibration. There may not be an 'a' in ceremony, but there certainly is an 'a' in a word I'm thinking decribes you - arse.
<quoted text>
It's not a case of bat-worshiping, or calibrating a humor meter. A child fighting for her life just isn't funny.
John

AOL

#8 Oct 24, 2006
Thank You Mari!!!!!
Concerned

AOL

#9 Oct 26, 2006
I am concerned about the child. Does this child have siblings??? One of my concerns is this...
Why didn't the parent's get her treated immediately after being bitten by the bat?
Concerned

AOL

#10 Oct 26, 2006
Please know that I am not BLAMING the parent's. I am just curious. I have 5 children. Would I know if they were bit by a bat, or would I think it was something else??? How would I know? I would think if I knew my child got bit by a bat, dog, cat, etc... I would make sure their rabies shots were up to date and if not, get them the shots they need. But, never judge until you've walked in some else's shoes.
anonymous

Carrollton, TX

#11 Oct 29, 2006
The protocol in Indiana for rabies prevention is this: If you wake up in a room with a bat, you assume that you were bitten and get the treatment. Bat bites are hard to determine because of their tiny teeth.
If the bite didn't hurt, I'm sure that her parents didn't realize the danger. Let us all hope that this case is isolated and doesn't spread in the animal population.
Doctor Ron

United States

#12 Oct 30, 2006
I used to be the FP in Bourbon, where this poor child lives.
I can't imagine the fear among the citizens there right now.
My prayers are with her, her family, and the community I love.
bathouse

Denver, CO

#13 Nov 2, 2006
If we had gotten rabies shots every time we woke up to find a bat in our house we would look like human pincushion family. Where did this "protocol" come from? Our cat caught a bat one night so I took it to the health dept to get it tested for rabies. Test was negative. The recommendation I got from the King County (Washington) health dept was don't worry about rabies unless you're sure you've been bitten. Probably that's based on the extremely rare nature of rabies infection in humans. It's very sad about Shannon but don't assume the family was negligent.
Nick

Chicago, IL

#14 Nov 3, 2006
She was my cousin. I loved her. And I love her two little sisters whom I am also worried about. If they lived with her father near me, he/we would have had her taken care of right away. As far as the mother, I dont want to start anything over the internet. I'll see her at the wake and I'm sure all I'll do is give a dirty look, which is far less than she deserves. Except for those three little girls and my step-mother, I really cant stand anyone from that side of my family. I have to hope now that her father somehow gets custody of the other two, who are 4 and 6. And dont worry, there's no bat-worshipping going on over there.
No one

Plymouth, IN

#15 Aug 24, 2014
Doctor Ron wrote:
I used to be the FP in Bourbon, where this poor child lives.
I can't imagine the fear among the citizens there right now.
My prayers are with her, her family, and the community I love.
We all still miss you and your family and this happened not far from your old house here in town.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Plymouth Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
looking to sell nudes (Jan '15) Jul 11 youngnreckless 7
News Voice of the People: System keeps bad judges on... (Sep '08) Jul 6 IdiotsRule 9
Thomas (Tom) Neff Feb '17 Magician 1
News Psychologist to stand trial Feb. 7 (Feb '06) Jan '17 G-dwiilavenge 141
News Michigan Road Ribbon Cutting on Wednesday (Aug '16) Aug '16 Dave Holmes 1
subway (Jan '16) Jan '16 brandon123 1
NUSBAUM Elkin Funeral home (May '15) Oct '15 The Rev 5

Plymouth Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Plymouth Mortgages