Residents Mourn -- Courant.com

The Plymouth minivan that rolled into a pond Wednesday, killing a woman and three children, was not equipped with a safety device to prevent a parked vehicle from accidentally being shifted into gear. Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
beth small

United States

#1 Jul 6, 2007
as usual, the car companies never do anything about anything until its way too late. i believe they ARE at fault- a simple recall and a $9 part could have saved some lives here. HOWEVER- this mom should have been responsible enough to restrain these 3 very young children-where were the car seats???- and turn off the engine when she left the vehicle to speak with aquaintances. this is a horrible tragedy and my heart goes out to all the families involved.but it could have been avoided!
Frann

Old Lyme, CT

#2 Jul 6, 2007
It's nice that cars now have safety features to help prevent terrible accidents like this from happening; however, people need to take personal responsibility for their own mistakes and misjudgments. It annoys me to hear about all those lawsuit cases - people seeking money for an event that could have been avoided if better judgement and common sense was used to prevent these accidents. Lawsuits do have their place, and are legitimate in many cases. But too often the average consumer ends up paying exorbitant prices/insurance premiums because of this penchant to sue. Bottom line - if people leave kids (or even pets) in running vehicles, it's a tragedy waiting to happen.

This was a horific accident and my heart goes out to the families, and to the rescue workers, who, despite their efforts, were unable to save this poor mother and the children.
curios

Hartford, CT

#3 Jul 6, 2007
My heart goes out to the families of these victims. May the good Lord shower you with his strength and comfort in this most difficult time in your lives. Remember the happy memories and pray for the eternal rest of these souls. They were all beautiful. God Bless the families.
wrtaylor

Palo Alto, CA

#4 Jul 6, 2007
This is so sad and in hindsight, so senseless. Yes, I think the automaker should be held liable for this incident Especially, if this defect had been known about for some time and there was no attempt made to warn the public or even issue a recall. Talk about corporate irresponsibility.....
Winnie

East Hartford, CT

#5 Jul 6, 2007
Three small children unrestrained? Good grief.
Look Out

Hamden, CT

#6 Jul 6, 2007
What about the parent or guardian being responsible? This is very sad, but to point blame at the manufacturer is wrong. We have built so many saftey features into our vehicles to compensate for our lack of responsibility or ability, that many have become complacent.
CT MOM WHTFD

Newington, CT

#7 Jul 6, 2007
"The Dodge and Chrysler Plymouth minivans are notorious for not having this feature," said Janette Fennell, founder of Kids And Cars. This is one quote. There is nothing else in this article that states that the lack of a brake-shift interlock is a DEFECT. I'm sure older cars didn't have this feature or safety device....so how come in the children of the 50's, 60's and 70's survived? Maybe because they were not left alone in running cars or they new better not to touch anything and stay in the back seat.
I don’t have that safety feature in my truck-I can change gears without pressing the break-I drive the truck so I know this. I also know not to leave my children in the truck unattended, with or without the truck running—because kids have been stolen from vehicles left unattended and vehicles haven been stolen with kids in them. So with the possibility of those two things being able to happen these kids were still left alone---even though they were insight—in the van. Life changing events –good or bad—sometimes only take seconds, and this proves it. I don’t mean to be harsh, but a mistake was made by someone who should have known better, a parent.
This is a great tragedy but less focus on the facts…….three young children were left alone, unrestrained, in a car which was running. This is a no-no. Everyone knows this. Leave the car makers out of this. What we need to do now is pray for the families, learn from this, and move forward.
Suffield Resident

Oakville, CT

#8 Jul 6, 2007
Look Out wrote:
What about the parent or guardian being responsible? This is very sad, but to point blame at the manufacturer is wrong. We have built so many saftey features into our vehicles to compensate for our lack of responsibility or ability, that many have become complacent.
Well said. And, were these kids really unrestrained in the vehicle? If so, there's a crime in itself.
High School Parent

South Windsor, CT

#9 Jul 6, 2007
On the news this morning, they said that it may be that one of the kids shifted the van and it started rolling. They were not seatbelted..and the back of the van (hatch) was open which made it sink faster.
All safety hazards in and of themselves. It's still a tragedy nonetheless. But again, this just enforces how important it is to be sure to follow safety in a vehicle, especially with children in them.
High School Parent

South Windsor, CT

#10 Jul 6, 2007
wrtaylor wrote:
This is so sad and in hindsight, so senseless. Yes, I think the automaker should be held liable for this incident Especially, if this defect had been known about for some time and there was no attempt made to warn the public or even issue a recall. Talk about corporate irresponsibility.....
Was it a defect?
Anthony

Newington, CT

#11 Jul 6, 2007
High School Parent wrote:
<quoted text>
Was it a defect?
No, it wasn't. It just didn't have a feature. The car company shouldn't be sued. This was an accident - why do we have to make it a lawsuit?
Parent

Middle Haddam, CT

#12 Jul 6, 2007
Like most everyone else, my heart goes out to the families--it's almost beyond comprehension to have one moment's bad judgment have such horrific consequences.

I do agree that the lack of a gear-locking device was not a defect. The manufacturer should not be held liable for someone's momentary lapse of judgement.

Also: Isn't an emergency brake a safety feature that could have been used here, too?
Hartford College Student

Washington, DC

#13 Jul 6, 2007
This is just so sad. A senseless accident.

But I agree with others who are saying the car manufacturers are not to blame. I feel like it's the same with the child lock windows and, in a semi related way, safety features for swimming pools. The manufacturer can do only so much to prevent these types of things. Parents need to do the rest.

Accidents happen - even when you're careful, even if you're an alert parent. Kids can get into stuff they're not supposed to if you turn your back for even a second.

My condolences to this woman's family and the family of the other child in the car. These kinds of things are just tragic.
Kat

South Windsor, CT

#14 Jul 6, 2007
What is the usefulness of a 'bouyant' cold water suit in an under-water rescue operation? Maybe if the rescue gear didn't float they would've been able to reach them in a timely manner.
Terribly sad. My condolences to all involved. What a terrible tragedy.
Crookville

Hartford, CT

#15 Jul 6, 2007
High School Parent wrote:
On the news this morning, they said that it may be that one of the kids shifted the van and it started rolling. They were not seatbelted..and the back of the van (hatch) was open which made it sink faster.
All safety hazards in and of themselves. It's still a tragedy nonetheless. But again, this just enforces how important it is to be sure to follow safety in a vehicle, especially with children in them.
Wow, the gentle & kinder Ms Piggy.

Question tho, was the van running? If not, isn't ok for kid to hang in the van without seatbelts on?(not for you personally, Im just not going to post 100 different types)
High School Parent

Newington, CT

#16 Jul 6, 2007
Anthony wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it wasn't. It just didn't have a feature. The car company shouldn't be sued. This was an accident - why do we have to make it a lawsuit?
If it wasnt a feature, then no,it shouldnt be a lawsuit. And I dont think there are grounds for one in this case. But neither here nor there, its still so sad that they all died that way. It was an tragic accident..plain and simple.
Don Freeman

Murrieta, CA

#17 Jul 6, 2007
I don't think the driver could have lived with this burden. I pray for the families of the mother and these beautiful children.
Anon

United States

#18 Jul 6, 2007
If the engine wasn't running, the car couldn't have moved - unless it was off and somehow a kid shifted it straight into neutral and it rolled. I believe most news reports say that the car was running and in "park" when somehow it was put into gear.

Those poor children should have been restrained in child safety seats and booster seats - if they had been restrained, and had been properly supervised, they'd likely still be alive today. Even 6 and 7 year olds should be in a booster these days. This is a real tragedy, but I don't think very highly of a woman who'd leave children in a running van unrestrained. A parent should know better.

Shocking how just one brief minute of poor judgment led to this...
Ginny

Windsor, CT

#21 Jul 7, 2007
Suffield Resident wrote:
<quoted text>
Well said. And, were these kids really unrestrained in the vehicle? If so, there's a crime in itself.
I agree. What responsible adult would get out of a vehicle while it is still running with passengers still in it?? Yes, this is a senseless tragedy and could have been prevented by using just a little common sense. I'll bet the families sue the car company, like it was their fault! You see so many stories like this where the company is always held accountable. What about the accountability of the adult??
eric

Neillsville, WI

#22 Jul 7, 2007
BINGO Thats why everything is so expensive these days, but you can get more from a company than an individual. Thats a sad fact and its every where.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Plymouth Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Attempted Robbery, Larceny, Drug Conspiracy - F... Mon Johnny Z 2
help find a theif Nov 19 UNLUCKY 1
Horn-sounding sirens Oct '14 rachinc 1
Send me nudes ill do the same ;) Oct '14 shingenCee 1
Who do you support for U.S. House in Connecticu... (Oct '10) Sep '13 Florencio Pita 43
Helping Terryville (May '10) May '10 sour puss 1
During conflict, firefightersget a boost (Sep '07) Apr '10 Hi Guy 2
Plymouth Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Plymouth People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Plymouth News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Plymouth

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News