Sex-Assault Suspect Faces More Charges

Sex-Assault Suspect Faces More Charges

There are 20 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Jun 6, 2007, titled Sex-Assault Suspect Faces More Charges. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

A local man in custody the past year on charges that he had sex with several underage girls he met on the social networking website MySpace.com has been charged with having sex with a 15-year-old Plymouth girl.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

Susie

Broad Brook, CT

#1 Jun 6, 2007
Hmmm....The acts with the 15 year old appear consensual. Did he know her real age? I have seen 15 year old girls that look 20 or even older and act accordingly.
The others, where were their parents? How could the girls leave home so easily to meet with him? Perhaps their PARENTS should be charged with neglect for not monitoring their children properly.
I am so tired of hearing this one sided story about young women (15-16) supposedly being assaulted by young men who are close to their age, when the encounters appear to be consensual. If proof exists that the relationships aren't one sided, how could it be the fault of just the guy? And please don't say that they are too young to understand what is going on! The 15 year old CERTAINLY understood what she was doing when she sent the naked pics of herself to him. What are her consequences?
As for the others, they certainly are too young to make good choices.....this guy should be ashamed and should be punished to the fullest extent of the law for his contact with the others. There is no way he could not know how young the other girls were.

Since: Feb 07

,Connecticut

#2 Jun 6, 2007
Throw the book at him he is a sick person and has to be treated like that.
Lucia Wald

East Hartford, CT

#3 Jun 6, 2007
Let's spell this out again for the slow people: a 15-year-old is not legally able to consent to sex. I repeat: the age of consent in Ct is 16 - a 15-year-old may not participate in consensual sex. Say it with me, now ...
Peter

Oxford, CT

#4 Jun 6, 2007
Susie,
You may have a point about the 15-year old she could have told him she was 16 we do not know that for a fact yet but she may have. But Susie you missed the point. She sent him pics, at his request in all likelyhood. The age of concent for sex in Ct. is 16 but the age of concent for pics is 18, no way he could have gotten a 15-year old mixed up with someone over 18. By the way he is 23,the age difference between him and the oldest girl is 8 years the youngest 11.This does not even come close to the Romeo and Juliet law.
Susie

Broad Brook, CT

#5 Jun 6, 2007
Lucia Wald wrote:
Let's spell this out again for the slow people: a 15-year-old is not legally able to consent to sex. I repeat: the age of consent in Ct is 16 - a 15-year-old may not participate in consensual sex. Say it with me, now ...
Come on, Lucia....Just like the expiration date on yogurt (yogurt expires exactly at midnight after the expiration date, right?)... you think a 16 year old is more capable of making a decision than a 15 year old? We all know that isn't true. Most 15 year olds in today's society have been exposed to WAY more sex, violence, etc. than we were as kids. They are pushed into being much more worldy. That being said, it seems that a 15 year old girl can play with fire and she has no consequences. And most of the girls KNOW this. Don't fool yourself into thinking that 15 year olds are naive. This girl went to a social site and exchanged pics of all kinds with a guy, made plans to meet the guy and "date" him. If her parents had done their job (or even supervised her properly), she would have known that this was wrong! However, according to the LAW, just 365 days later (or less, unless this happened on her 15th birthday!) it's right?.....Perhaps the law should be changed to reflect the new changes in parenting styles? "It's someone else's fault that I didn't instill good values in my daughter....so when she sends a man naked pics, let's rely on the law to fix where I failed" ???

PS Just food for thought, but in today's society kids are pushed to adopt attitudes WAY before they are ready....I have heard parents of 2 and 3 year olds ask their kids if their new playmate was their boyfriend or girlfriend. Cute, right? Until they turn 15 and start sending naked pics to the opposite sex......
High School Parent

South Windsor, CT

#6 Jun 6, 2007
Susie wrote:
<quoted text>
Come on, Lucia....Just like the expiration date on yogurt (yogurt expires exactly at midnight after the expiration date, right?)... you think a 16 year old is more capable of making a decision than a 15 year old? We all know that isn't true. Most 15 year olds in today's society have been exposed to WAY more sex, violence, etc. than we were as kids. They are pushed into being much more worldy. That being said, it seems that a 15 year old girl can play with fire and she has no consequences. And most of the girls KNOW this. Don't fool yourself into thinking that 15 year olds are naive. This girl went to a social site and exchanged pics of all kinds with a guy, made plans to meet the guy and "date" him. If her parents had done their job (or even supervised her properly), she would have known that this was wrong! However, according to the LAW, just 365 days later (or less, unless this happened on her 15th birthday!) it's right?.....Perhaps the law should be changed to reflect the new changes in parenting styles? "It's someone else's fault that I didn't instill good values in my daughter....so when she sends a man naked pics, let's rely on the law to fix where I failed" ???
PS Just food for thought, but in today's society kids are pushed to adopt attitudes WAY before they are ready....I have heard parents of 2 and 3 year olds ask their kids if their new playmate was their boyfriend or girlfriend. Cute, right? Until they turn 15 and start sending naked pics to the opposite sex......
Very well said and all good points !
That 15 year old certainly knows how to use the computer pretty good. She sends pics and arranges to meet with strangers to have sex. Poor 15 year old. Her parents should throw her computer out.
Lucia Wald

East Hartford, CT

#7 Jun 6, 2007
Apples and oranges, Susie. You are talking about your opinions, I was referring to the law.
Susie

Broad Brook, CT

#8 Jun 6, 2007
Peter wrote:
Susie,
You may have a point about the 15-year old she could have told him she was 16 we do not know that for a fact yet but she may have. But Susie you missed the point. She sent him pics, at his request in all likelyhood. The age of concent for sex in Ct. is 16 but the age of concent for pics is 18, no way he could have gotten a 15-year old mixed up with someone over 18. By the way he is 23,the age difference between him and the oldest girl is 8 years the youngest 11.This does not even come close to the Romeo and Juliet law.
Pete, There is NO doubt in my mind that this guy is scum and should be punished.

My point is that I think there should be consequences for the 15 year old girl (and yes, he could have thought she was older, maybe as old as 18. I know 15 year olds that look and act way older because their parents allow them to dress older.) I think if there were consequences (not just for the adult but for the 15 year old), this type of thing would happen less. I think it would stop the "gray area" from happening...I'm 15 but I'll just tell him I'm older...if we get caught, I won't get in trouble....

Since when do teenagers NOT understand they shouldn't send naked pics of themselves to someone? I just can't get over that. This is just common modesty (and common sense)! I don't buy the fact that he some how coerced her into sending them.
Susie

Broad Brook, CT

#9 Jun 6, 2007
Lucia Wald wrote:
Apples and oranges, Susie. You are talking about your opinions, I was referring to the law.
Perhaps the law should be updated. I would like to see consequences for the "gray area". I just posted about this......
Lucia Wald

East Hartford, CT

#10 Jun 6, 2007
Then contact your legislators. Don't come in and rail against the law being enforced as written.

Oh, and may I suggest some studying of adolescent development?
Susie

Broad Brook, CT

#11 Jun 6, 2007
Lucia Wald wrote:
Then contact your legislators. Don't come in and rail against the law being enforced as written.
Lucia, This is an open forum....opinions are ok here. I believe complaints are also welcome. I have not attacked anyone posting here or maligned any posters in any way, although I have been accused of being "slow" and in need of further education. Neither of which is the case. Have a great day!
Lucia Wald

East Hartford, CT

#13 Jun 6, 2007
Yes, opinions are OK, Susie. And I certainly didn't mean to single you out as "slow" - there are usually hordes of posters on this forum who pick up on these stories as opportunities to declare underage kids to be sophisticated sexual conoisseurs and master manipulators. Unfortunately, only you showed up today, and I apologize for singling you out.

Sincerely, though, anyone (again, this refers to a LOT of people who post here) who believes that because 15-year-old looks like she's 20 she should possess and exercise the same judgment as a 20-something-year-old really does need some study in adolescent brain development.

I hope your day is terrific, too.
High School Parent

South Windsor, CT

#14 Jun 6, 2007
Lucia Wald wrote:
I think you are the one in need of studying adolescent development. We all know the law of being 16 for the age of consent and no matter what, its still illegal and men will go to jail. It doesnt mean these 15 year olds that are exploring in the unknown with internet sexual predators arent capable of being responsible for their own actions. They are not 8 years old. They are 15 going on 21 and cant wait to have sex. The law is separate from common sense and parents teaching their kids right from wrong. And if you had any children of your own (especially young girls), I would think you would know that. While I am all for these men going to prison for this crime, I also think any underaged girl involved should be made to go go mandatory classes on the proper use of the internet and the consequences of meeting strangers online. It may or may not stop them, but the seed is planted and it may make them more aware of the real dangers out there. Otherwise, the keep doing it and eventually become young parents or dead.
Susie

Broad Brook, CT

#15 Jun 6, 2007
Lucia Wald wrote:
Yes, opinions are OK, Susie. And I certainly didn't mean to single you out as "slow" - there are usually hordes of posters on this forum who pick up on these stories as opportunities to declare underage kids to be sophisticated sexual conoisseurs and master manipulators. Unfortunately, only you showed up today, and I apologize for singling you out.
Sincerely, though, anyone (again, this refers to a LOT of people who post here) who believes that because 15-year-old looks like she's 20 she should possess and exercise the same judgment as a 20-something-year-old really does need some study in adolescent brain development.
I hope your day is terrific, too.
Lucia, I see your point. I have seen some of these threads become outrageously out of control and irrational.

I still think that there are problems with the age of consent law. I think it should be evaluated on a case-by-case basis, by a mental health care professional. Some 15 year old girls collect teddy bears and watch cartoons on Saturday mornings, others buy birth control at the drugstore and sneak into R-rated movies. One kind of girl the current law protects, the other type of girl is using the law as a safety net if she should get caught.

As far as the current case goes, I maintain that the guy should go to jail, period. He is obviously a predator. However, if the law were to be applied to the 15 year old on a case-by-case basis, this loser guy, MIGHT not be guilty on the 15 year old's charge.
Lucia Wald

East Hartford, CT

#16 Jun 6, 2007
I see your point, too.
Michael Hoyt

Waterbury, CT

#17 Jun 6, 2007
Wait till they get there hands on him in jail,and no one feel sorry for him. Because I showed no remorse toward them when I was in prison, I gave scum like that everything they had coming. Its the oath among inmates to do what needs to be done.
luap

United States

#18 Jun 6, 2007
He is a scum bag for sure , but its also true that a lot of young girls today have no morals at all, a reflection of there parents.
BigDaddy2

Meriden, CT

#19 Jun 6, 2007
The law is the law. Age of consent is 16. At 15 years & 364 days old, they still cannot give consent. I agree there should be consequences for the 15 year old too, as well as for the parents for not properly supervising their child. This guy also had sex with a 12 year old??? He presents a good case for involuntary castration! I hope he enjoys prison with all it's social graces.
David R

Portland, CT

#20 Jun 8, 2007
Unfortunately, the law is too cut and dry in a case for a peticular 15 year old who IS more capable of making a descision on sex than some 16 year old girls. I agree that it all comes down to the homelife and parental responsibility. Some teenage girls can be very minipulative and you can't just go blame it on the parents either. Girls like this should deffinately have consequences, but how and when to do that as far as the law goes is probably NEVER going to get worked out. So in the case of consequence it IS deffinately up to the parents now.
As for this 23 year old stud who can only get young adolescent and teenage girls to go to bed with him, to me it doesn't matter that this 15 year old played her part, because he's having sex with 12 year olds. It's not even worth discussing others role in a case where the guy is deffinately a preditor. What kind of world do we live in where a guy doing these things should get any support in saying "Hey yeah i'm a scumbag for sleeping with 12 year olds, but that other girl looked like she was 20!". I've been to prison, and I don't wish any more consequence on this guy besides doing his time, but It probably will be the case that he takes a few beatings. Good day.
David R

Portland, CT

#21 Jun 8, 2007
btw, when I say does his time....I mean A LOOOONG time.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Plymouth Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News UFO Sighting: Bristol, Connecticut; Nightly (Mar '08) Feb 24 Luccas 91
News Berthel announces for Kane's now-vacant Senate ... Feb 17 mountainman 1
Kay's Gag Shop (Jun '06) Feb 5 Ames 55
News Pratt & Whitney Threatens To Shut Down Cheshire... (Jul '09) Feb 3 HOMEY THEE CLOWN 86
Plainville pervert arrested Jan '17 Concerned Citizen 3
News State Disciplines Six Nurses Dec '16 BPT 1
News State Police Detectives Investigate Thomaston P... (Jul '16) Dec '16 Whaaaat 3

Plymouth Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Plymouth Mortgages