Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 160793 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#119541 Dec 24, 2013
Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
I and that includes you, but that seems risky especially when it involves your everlasting life,
I can give you some scriptures that will help you. First Jesus said at John 8:31,32 ...:If YOU remain in my word, YOU are really my disciples, 32&#8239;and YOU will know the truth, and the truth will set YOU free. Set you free from what? Sin and death And any preconceived ideas based upon personal Opinion (yours or somebody else's)
If the bible meant "Set you free from what? Sin and death And any preconceived ideas based upon personal Opinion", why did it not just use these words?
Again, you and your religion keep adding words to the bible, and are in some denial you are not.
Curious

Winter Garden, FL

#119542 Dec 24, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Yup... generally speaking he's just jealous, you know him being a lesser person and all... Causes him to get all twitchy and stuff... When someones whole life is sitting in mom's basement until you are 30 and making it through the 8th grade they get all discombobulated when their betters show up to make them look even dumber....
Generally speaking you are talking out of where the sun don't shine. You use this thread to draw attention to youreelf by citing incrediblly fictitious accomplishments .
You supposedly captured 215 copperheads during a weekend when you were either 10 or 15 years old , seems you can't decide which one to keep regurgitating.
You often tell us about your exploits on your motorcycle ,how many you have built and other balderdash which have absolutely nothing to do with the topic in question.
You further degrade yourself by admitting you drop acid , your drinking binges and how you have judged your parents to be delusional..
This is what you call,living life to the fullest.
Nowhere do you ever mention having accomplished anything that benefitted your community
or where you extended a helping hand to anyone in need..
Your attempts at self aggrandizement are a clear indication of low self esteem as you , in a dishonorable manner ,seek to paint a picture of yourself as being better than others.
But,so you know , my accomplishments are not those to which an Atheist would attribute any value and would not be familiar with.
I organized block clubs in order that the city government would provide the necessary services to a poor and needy community.
I helped organize a group of concerned citizens who cleaned up what was becoming a drug infested neighborhood , not by dropping acid and using mind altering drugs, but by ridding the neighborhood of those who used such and peddled them in public
Duiring Thanksgiving , we provided turkeys to needy families with money that we collected among ourselves and local businesses.
We did the same thing during Chritmas.
To Atheists , those may be considered ignoble objectives, but to me , I can look back and rejoice at my actions.
I don't brag about them , nor do I consider mysel better than anyone else for having done so.

Since: Apr 08

Cambridge, UK

#119543 Dec 24, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Humble Pie and Deep Purple got me through basic...
Here one I had back in the day and I thought it pretty much fit the mode of the thread...
http://youtu.be/83PsKU1n3fo
Nice stoner guitar - I like it

These were the days when a concert ticket cost less than an album.

Few bands were as good live as Deep Purple or Humble Pie.
DewWahDeity

Jamestown, RI

#119544 Dec 24, 2013
concerned wrote:
The danger in teaching the Bible is that this book has the power to create faith even in an atheist. If it is allowed to be taught there is a strong possibility someone could be converted to Jesus Christ. Under the current world views is it possible to allow such a powerful tool for good to be taught in public schools and that before the young minds of the future?
The bible is nothing but superstitious nonsense and lies, that only a fool could believe in.
DewWahDeity

Jamestown, RI

#119545 Dec 24, 2013
Its unconstitutional to teach religion in our public schools. Hope someone sues the beegeezuz out of Kentucky if the try to implement this.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.pixoto.com/quantumm

#119546 Dec 24, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
There is an embarrassingly high number of Bozos and nincompoops among the U.S. religie flocks who are crazier than a moth at a streetlight.
Every group, including atheists and leftist, have their own bat shite crazies. I seen pickchures....
Known Fact

Orlando, FL

#119547 Dec 24, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>So you add a book to the bible? Reminds me of how Catholics add words to the bible to explain it to people.
Every sect does it, and every sect claims all other sects do it incorrectly.
Religion does not really need to use force to make people believe, so not sure why you had to make that disclaimer. But you sure do use scare tactics, as you already have.
So what is your opinion on having government controlled bible study in public schools?
I have to inform you Mr. M.D.(not medical Dr.) that you made many erroneous statements. 1. We did not add a book to the Bible the book in question is to help the student to know "What does the Bible Really Teach". I'm sure you are well aware 'if you go to one religion and ask them a question and then go to another and ask the same question you will get two different answers so that after awhile you don't know what to believe. That's why many give up on religion completely and chose to become an Atheist or agnostic.
2. You have it wrong if you say religion does not use force to make people believe. Evidently you don't know much of the Catholic Church history (example the crusades and the cruel Inquisition.)
3.Then you accuse Jehovah's Witnesses of using scare tactics. That is not true we do not use scare tactics such as the hellfire doctrine as we do not believe in the pagan hellfire doctrine because it is not taught in the Bible although many are taught to believe it does.
I believe that covers everything.
Except your question about the Bible being taught in school.
I have responded many times on that question. No religion should not be taught in school simply because there way too many religions and should be given equal time. The Bible should be taught at home by their parents or at their place of worship, school is not the place and that includes the false teaching of Evolution.
I hope I have answered your questions to your satisfaction. THANK YOU FOR RESPONDING.
pebouky

Hebron, KY

#119548 Dec 24, 2013
concerned wrote:
The danger in teaching the Bible is that this book has the power to create faith even in an atheist. If it is allowed to be taught there is a strong possibility someone could be converted to Jesus Christ. Under the current world views is it possible to allow such a powerful tool for good to be taught in public schools and that before the young minds of the future?
Ok...cute. but seriously, there should be no bible study in public schools. this flies in the face of the establishment clause of the first amendment. i can't believe in 2013 we are still having conversations like this. the only way this would be acceptable would be if it happened in the context of a comparative religion course where all faiths of the world were presented for actual scholarly inquiry. Otherwise, it's just another southern attempt to continue to push this country toward a theocracy...you can mask it in any 'regulations' you want to....it still smells the same.
pebouky

Hebron, KY

#119549 Dec 24, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
There is an embarrassingly high number of Bozos and nincompoops among the U.S. religie flocks who are crazier than a moth at a streetlight.
Logic ends where religion begins
Curious

Winter Garden, FL

#119550 Dec 24, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>So you agree 'known fact' was judging, despite his claims he does not judge?
What does your response have to do with what I posted?
You had to say something?

Seems that those who accurately observe and judge your behaviour will come to the same conclusion.
By your own admission, your recruting tactics , as an Ahtheist ,have failed you.
All the long days and many hours that you have spent ,espousing your faith and you have nothing to show for it. You haven't deconverted anyone.
By your own admission , you have accomplished o.
You claim you are an Atheist , not believing in any God's existence,,,,,,yet , you are still seeking proof of his existence.
Studies have shown that 20% of Atheists believe in God ,8% believe in heaven and then there are those who regularly attend religious services.
We also know that there are Atheists who extol the practices of Christianity and want to incorporate those into the churches that Atheists are now organizing.
To me, that points to a subconscious search for the God their mind denies..
I see no other logical explanation...
Seems only logical , one imitates that which one admires and would like to be.
Known Fact

Orlando, FL

#119551 Dec 24, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>If the bible meant "Set you free from what? Sin and death And any preconceived ideas based upon personal Opinion", why did it not just use these words?
Again, you and your religion keep adding words to the bible, and are in some denial you are not.
Mr. "Mike Duquette,"
I have long ago determined you are not interested in finding the TRUTH you are only interested in an argument or debating and I don't have the time for either.
Everything I post is supported in the Bible. I can prove from other parts of the Bible that remaining in God's Word the Bible will set one free from sin and death. And the Apostle says that no prophesy is of any private interpretation. No, no we do not add words to the Bible there is a serious penalty for doing so!
What you need Mike is a serious study of the Bible. Jehovah's Witnesses are eager to help you in that regard and best of all it is free and no obligation. If you are interested go to www.jw.org and request a free Bible study.

#119552 Dec 25, 2013
Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
Mr. "Mike Duquette,"
I have long ago determined you are not interested in finding the TRUTH you are only interested in an argument or debating and I don't have the time for either.
Everything I post is supported in the Bible. I can prove from other parts of the Bible that remaining in God's Word the Bible will set one free from sin and death. And the Apostle says that no prophesy is of any private interpretation. No, no we do not add words to the Bible there is a serious penalty for doing so!
What you need Mike is a serious study of the Bible. Jehovah's Witnesses are eager to help you in that regard and best of all it is free and no obligation. If you are interested go to www.jw.org and request a free Bible study.
Your Truth is as much a Lie and any others truth based of Belief with out evidence,,,,,,,

#119553 Dec 25, 2013
But Merry Christmas to All....

http://youtu.be/52vg05zJDI0
spaceship

Rancho Cordova, CA

#119554 Dec 25, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
But Merry Christmas to All....
http://youtu.be/52vg05zJDI0
Merry Christimas Q. That was a funny video. Reminded me of woody woodpecker.

Since: Apr 08

Cambridge, UK

#119555 Dec 25, 2013
Merry Christmas folks!
pat

London, KY

#119556 Dec 25, 2013
...for all of you that believe Christmas is all about Jesus, you must educate yourselves on the Pagan holiday, "Yule"....it existed waaaaaay before the biblical times of Jesus.

The date varies from December 20 to December 23 depending on the year in the Gregorian calendar. Yule is also known as the winter solstice in the northern hemisphere and the summer solstice in the southern hemisphere due to the seasonal differences.

Symbolism of Yule:
Rebirth of the Sun, The longest night of the year, The Winter Solstice, Introspect, Planning for the Future.

Symbols of Yule:
Yule log, or small Yule log with 3 candles, evergreen boughs or wreaths, holly, mistletoe hung in doorways, gold pillar candles, baskets of clove studded fruit, a simmering pot of wassail, poinsettias, christmas cactus.

Herbs of Yule:
Bayberry, blessed thistle, evergreen, frankincense holly, laurel, mistletoe, oak, pine, sage, yellow cedar.

Foods of Yule:
Cookies and caraway cakes soaked in cider, fruits, nuts, pork dishes, turkey, eggnog, ginger tea, spiced cider, wassail, or lamb's wool (ale, sugar, nutmeg, roasted apples).

Incense of Yule:
Pine, cedar, bayberry, cinnamon.

Colors of Yule:
Red, green, gold, white, silver, yellow, orange.

Stones of Yule:
Rubies, bloodstones, garnets, emeralds, diamonds.

Activities of Yule:
Caroling, wassailing the trees, burning the Yule log, decorating the Yule tree, exchanging of presents, kissing under the mistletoe, honoring Kriss Kringle the Germanic Pagan God of Yule.

...summary: Christians plagiarized the Pagan holiday....case closed!
spaceship

Rancho Cordova, CA

#119557 Dec 25, 2013
pat wrote:
...for all of you that believe Christmas is all about Jesus, you must educate yourselves on the Pagan holiday, "Yule"....it existed waaaaaay before the biblical times of Jesus.
The date varies from December 20 to December 23 depending on the year in the Gregorian calendar. Yule is also known as the winter solstice in the northern hemisphere and the summer solstice in the southern hemisphere due to the seasonal differences.
Symbolism of Yule:
Rebirth of the Sun, The longest night of the year, The Winter Solstice, Introspect, Planning for the Future.
Symbols of Yule:
Yule log, or small Yule log with 3 candles, evergreen boughs or wreaths, holly, mistletoe hung in doorways, gold pillar candles, baskets of clove studded fruit, a simmering pot of wassail, poinsettias, christmas cactus.
Herbs of Yule:
Bayberry, blessed thistle, evergreen, frankincense holly, laurel, mistletoe, oak, pine, sage, yellow cedar.
Foods of Yule:
Cookies and caraway cakes soaked in cider, fruits, nuts, pork dishes, turkey, eggnog, ginger tea, spiced cider, wassail, or lamb's wool (ale, sugar, nutmeg, roasted apples).
Incense of Yule:
Pine, cedar, bayberry, cinnamon.
Colors of Yule:
Red, green, gold, white, silver, yellow, orange.
Stones of Yule:
Rubies, bloodstones, garnets, emeralds, diamonds.
Activities of Yule:
Caroling, wassailing the trees, burning the Yule log, decorating the Yule tree, exchanging of presents, kissing under the mistletoe, honoring Kriss Kringle the Germanic Pagan God of Yule.
...summary: Christians plagiarized the Pagan holiday....case closed!
Kriss Kringle is Santa Claus.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#119558 Dec 25, 2013
Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
I have to inform you Mr. M.D.(not medical Dr.) that you made many erroneous statements. 1. We did not add a book to the Bible the book in question is to help the student to know "What does the Bible Really Teach". I'm sure you are well aware 'if you go to one religion and ask them a question and then go to another and ask the same question you will get two different answers so that after awhile you don't know what to believe. That's why many give up on religion completely and chose to become an Atheist or agnostic.
2. You have it wrong if you say religion does not use force to make people believe. Evidently you don't know much of the Catholic Church history (example the crusades and the cruel Inquisition.)
3.Then you accuse Jehovah's Witnesses of using scare tactics. That is not true we do not use scare tactics such as the hellfire doctrine as we do not believe in the pagan hellfire doctrine because it is not taught in the Bible although many are taught to believe it does.
I believe that covers everything.
Except your question about the Bible being taught in school.
I have responded many times on that question. No religion should not be taught in school simply because there way too many religions and should be given equal time. The Bible should be taught at home by their parents or at their place of worship, school is not the place and that includes the false teaching of Evolution.
I hope I have answered your questions to your satisfaction. THANK YOU FOR RESPONDING.
You did not add a book to the bible, just like the Catholic church did not add the trinity to the bible. You both interpreted the bible using words the bible does not. And you are so hypocritical or in denial, you charge others as doing so wrongly.

Sorry I did not spell it out well enough for you to interpret my meaning well enough.
Maybe if you god knew the bible was not articulate enough to need interpretations, he would have written it better. But of course no god wrote the bible, or anything else.

Yes, all sects give different answers to the same questions, just as yours does.
Now maybe the individuals within your church are on the same page, and it is because they follow the watchtowers interpretations, instead of their own mind and the bible.
As if the god did not make mans mind or the bible well enough.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#119559 Dec 25, 2013
Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
I have to inform you Mr. M.D.(not medical Dr.) that you made many erroneous statements.
OK, I guess Christians did use force to make the religion as large as it is today, with the crusades and inquisitions. And our secular government put an end to that silliness. Sadly many countries are still not secular, and they still use force to indoctrinate. Mostly Islamic countries.

You did use what I consider a threat. You said something to the effect that our future lives depend upon it. It is the implied threat of not getting an afterlife if we do not do as you say.
Your religion would not have power it does without this threat.
The idea of a loving god is not enough to recruit.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#119560 Dec 25, 2013
Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
Mr. "Mike Duquette,"
I have determined you are not seeking truth. You are just here recruiting.
I am sure Catholics think all their dogma is supported by the bible also.
And just who prophesied in the bible? It was of men.

Debate is a way for one to learn truths. But I can see you do not question your dogma.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pleasureville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Deven Vest (May '16) 1 hr Speaking 14
Stephanie 3 hr Faurceia 2
Dannica Willard/ Stewart 3 hr BigSis 2
Paul Reed (Dec '09) 3 hr Shaniqua 49
it's over 3 hr Wrong 9
Tackle box (Apr '12) 4 hr customer 34
David Bruner 5 hr Curious 1

Pleasureville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance