Gay rights ordinances pushed in small Kentucky towns

Dec 2, 2012 Full story: USA Today 133

In a scene that has been playing out in small cities throughout Kentucky in recent weeks, local citizens working with the statewide Fairness Coalition - which includes groups such as the Louisville, Ky.-based Fairness Campaign and the American Civil Liberties Union of Kentucky - are seeking local anti-bias protections for gay and transgender ... (more)

Full Story
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#1 Dec 2, 2012
These bear watching closely.

“Don't steal my happy”

Since: Aug 12

Shelbyville, Ky.

#2 Dec 3, 2012
It would be really nice to think that a place like Shelbyville could take advantage of this opportunity to move forward with this as a bright, shinning example. Especially since we have now managed to draw national attention. But, I suppose you can all already tell that by our own mayors comments, that has very little chance of happening. And from being pretty much a lifetime resident, and some of my most recent experiences with comments from fellow residents, the mayor's probably correct. I do have to say though, that the factory I work for here has defanantly been the exception. They have been extremely professional, and accommodating.

If anyone would like to get a better idea of what I'm talking about, feel free to pop over to Shelbyville's forum, and take a look at what we're dealing with. It's not pretty, and frankly, I'm ashamed. Some of the best examples are on the thread I started to gauge Shelbyville's take on the transgender community. Also, look at how they treat our emigrant residents, it'll give you a better idea of where these people's heads are at.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#3 Dec 3, 2012
Good luck in your fight, Angel. We are in the battle for the long term, and your locality is taking the first step of the march. Just remember the rag-tag group that formed the first Gay Pride March in NYC--attracting the attention mostly of homophobes. And look how Pride has become a major celebration for NYC and many other cities around the country and the world.

We all start somewhere. And your conversation is just beginning.

Since: May 11

Shepherdsville, KY

#4 Dec 3, 2012
I'm still shocked that Berea of all places hasn't passed an ordinance. It's an extremely liberal college town filled with artists.

Shepherdsville is far too conservative. It would probably have to come at the state level. Etown doesn't seem likely in the immediate future either.
edgar

Campbellsville, KY

#5 Dec 3, 2012
Yeah, the gay agenda...
Imposed on the nation by a group of activists that constitute less than 1% of the population.

Hope SHelbyville puts this message down..with a big bitch slap.
rick

Louisville, KY

#6 Dec 3, 2012
edgar wrote:
Yeah, the gay agenda...
Imposed on the nation by a group of activists that constitute less than 1% of the population.
Hope SHelbyville puts this message down..with a big bitch slap.
Amen.

Gay rights = forced acceptance of the sick and disgusting gay lifestyle.

I no one should be forced to rent to sexual deviants if they do not want to. It's disgusting, drives down property values, drives off other desirable renters, drives up the number of frivolous discrimination lawsuits in the county, and forces neighbors and their children to be exposed daily to their perverted lifestyle.

Why would gays want to live where their not wanted anyways?
questions

Duluth, GA

#7 Dec 3, 2012
rick wrote:
<quoted text>Amen.

I no one should be forced to rent to sexual deviants if they do not want to. It's disgusting, drives down property values, drives off other desirable renters, drives up the number of frivolous discrimination lawsuits in the county, and forces neighbors and their children to be exposed daily to their perverted lifestyle.

ignorance

Shepherdsville, KY

#8 Dec 3, 2012
rick wrote:
<quoted text>Amen.
Actually gays boost property values. Just look at SF, the Highlands, South Beach, or any of the other areas where they move in large numbers.

And right now 3 percent of the population is openly gay.
questions

Duluth, GA

#10 Dec 3, 2012
NoQ wrote:
<quoted text>That's the 3% that should be shipped over seas.
people like you are the reason we need ordinances like these.
The Point

Elizabethtown, KY

#11 Dec 3, 2012
Does anyone have a link to where we could read one of these ordinances online? Not sure on where I'd stand without knowing what's in it. The "religious exemption" sounds pretty fishy to me: if it is a civil liberties issue, then why would a religious organization get an exemption from enforcement? Does that mean that if my religion dislikes blacks or handicapped people I can discriminate against them? Doesn't seem to make sense at this point. And if a minority sexual preference is a protected class, then why isn't this being addressed at the Federal Labor level rather than going city by city? Other words, I suspect you could be 100% for LGBT equality and still be against an ordinance like this.
jamiej

Elizabethtown, KY

#12 Dec 3, 2012
Yeah, i live in a small town and I woudn't stand for it either! If folks would stand up instead of letting something that is vile and discusting take over things would be different. I don't want to walk down the street and see 2 men holding hands and kissing or 2 women doing it either and I sure as hell don't want my kids around the stuff!! its wrong in all aspects and should be kept in private if it has to be at all!!
marlo

Louisville, KY

#13 Dec 3, 2012
What a bunch of bigots in here! I hope none of you have children to spread your hatred to.

Shepherdsville, KY

#14 Dec 3, 2012
The Point wrote:
Does anyone have a link to where we could read one of these ordinances online? Not sure on where I'd stand without knowing what's in it. The "religious exemption" sounds pretty fishy to me: if it is a civil liberties issue, then why would a religious organization get an exemption from enforcement? Does that mean that if my religion dislikes blacks or handicapped people I can discriminate against them? Doesn't seem to make sense at this point. And if a minority sexual preference is a protected class, then why isn't this being addressed at the Federal Labor level rather than going city by city? Other words, I suspect you could be 100% for LGBT equality and still be against an ordinance like this.
Well, churches are allowed to discriminate based on race. And, while I disagree, I see no reason for the government to meddle in religious institutions.

The republicans would filibuster an anti-discrimination amendment (they actually had the votes while Bush was in office, but he threatened to veto it). The main issue is whether or not it is actually necessary. Apparently this bill may not cover some small businesses, and I'm not sure that any franchise business in Etown would openly discriminate. I really don't think the bill would be all that effective. But, it could possibly benefit transexuals if they are covered (actually, the DOJ may already be protecting them under current gender bias laws).
jamiej

Elizabethtown, KY

#15 Dec 3, 2012
marlo wrote:
What a bunch of bigots in here! I hope none of you have children to spread your hatred to.
no bigots just the truth!! who wants their children to see that stuff, surely not me!! if you do your sick in the head!
The Point

Elizabethtown, KY

#16 Dec 3, 2012
jamiej wrote:
Yeah, i live in a small town and I woudn't stand for it either! If folks would stand up instead of letting something that is vile and discusting take over things would be different. I don't want to walk down the street and see 2 men holding hands and kissing or 2 women doing it either and I sure as hell don't want my kids around the stuff!! its wrong in all aspects and should be kept in private if it has to be at all!!
I didn't say anything like that. My only point was that sexual preference isn't a protected class. If I want to marry an extremely ugly woman (which I didn't, BTW), then the Constitution gives me every right to do that. However, if the restaurant owner, employer or landlord refuses me service because of my ugly mate, that's still within their rights to do so (because "ugly" isn't protected in any way). If gay is to be protected, then it needs to be put into state and federal Civil Rights code, not into local city ordinances...human rights are never a "local" issue, IMO.
siren

United States

#17 Dec 3, 2012
I find myself constantly baffled at the ignorance of people. Why do people assume gays live any differently than straight people? It's not disgusting, it just is. I wouldnt let anyone tell me who I was or was not allowed to love, so I won't do it to anyone else. As for my children, it doesn't hurt them one tiny bit for johnny down the street to live with another man. So what? Straight couples aren't 'doin it' as another poster put it, out in the streets- why would you assume gays would be? Chances are, even if there are 2 men or 2 women holding hands your kids wouldnt even notice unless you pointed it out in some way. Kids are not born with prejudice- they are taught it.
The Point

Elizabethtown, KY

#18 Dec 3, 2012
that goth in LJ wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, churches are allowed to discriminate based on race.
That may not be entirely true (under KY Civil Rights code). A qualified religious organization is exempt from "public accommodation" laws if it goes against a tenant of the church. HOWEVER, the law states that "Any organization that teaches or advocates hatred based on race, color, or national origin shall not be considered a religious organization." So I can't really exclude blacks from my church by doctrine, as the doctrine itself would disqualify me as a church. Likewise, if sexual preference was added to that list, a church that "taught hatred" toward homosexuality would not be exempt from Civil Rights law and would need to abide by general public accommodation principles. Obviously "teaching hatred" is a qualifier open to interpretation, but it would be very open to enforcement based on who the AG was at the time. But saying "gays can't come into my church because gays are bad" would pretty much ensure a civil rights violation.

“Don't steal my happy”

Since: Aug 12

Shelbyville, Ky.

#19 Dec 3, 2012
You know, there are ways to object in a positive manner so as people take you seriously. But, surprise, the ignorant rednecks in these little towns can never manage to do that. And they're always the ones trolling these sites and spreading their hate. Always anonymously as well. Marking up every inteligent post with those stupid judgement icons. They're like really bad children. Not even realizing that they only succeed in helping to prove us right.
Thanks kids!
Sick

Louisville, KY

#20 Dec 3, 2012
Angel Diva wrote:
It would be really nice to think that a place like Shelbyville could take advantage of this opportunity to move forward with this as a bright, shinning example. Especially since we have now managed to draw national attention. But, I suppose you can all already tell that by our own mayors comments, that has very little chance of happening. And from being pretty much a lifetime resident, and some of my most recent experiences with comments from fellow residents, the mayor's probably correct. I do have to say though, that the factory I work for here has defanantly been the exception. They have been extremely professional, and accommodating.
If anyone would like to get a better idea of what I'm talking about, feel free to pop over to Shelbyville's forum, and take a look at what we're dealing with. It's not pretty, and frankly, I'm ashamed. Some of the best examples are on the thread I started to gauge Shelbyville's take on the transgender community. Also, look at how they treat our emigrant residents, it'll give you a better idea of where these people's heads are at.
We need an ordinance to keep people like you out of Shelby County for the sake of diseases not being spread there.....
The Point

Elizabethtown, KY

#21 Dec 3, 2012
siren wrote:
Why do people assume gays live any differently than straight people? It's not disgusting, it just is.
I see it that way too. So please explain to me why gays should be afforded special civil protections under the law. I'm not trolling or necessarily disagreeing...just trying to understand the issue. In my mind, sexual preference is a lot like being left-handed; while some older people may think it's weird or even evil to use your left hand, I'm just not convinced that we need special laws to protect lefties. What am I missing?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pleasure Ridge Park Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Fairdale Jukebox (Jun '12) 30 min Musikologist 13
Mcconnell or grimes 1 hr Hey 37
Richard 2 hr Fingerhut 1
Beshear urges public to lobby legislators for 7... (Mar '08) 2 hr SMOKIN BABOONS 7
Senate narrowly approves tax bill (Feb '09) 4 hr Ethel 2
Senate votes to require booster seats for children (Mar '08) 4 hr Ethel 5
Will You Be Voting Republican? 4 hr Suck it liberals 48

Pleasure Ridge Park Jobs

Pleasure Ridge Park People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Pleasure Ridge Park News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Pleasure Ridge Park

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]