Black teen thrown into bonfire during party

Posted in the Pleasure Ridge Park Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

“Don't Start Nothing ”

Since: Sep 07

It won't be nothing

#1 Nov 17, 2009
EAST GREENBUSH, N.Y.- A Rensselaer County man is behind bars after allegedly tossing a teen into a fire early Friday morning in a fit of rage. It happened at an outdoor party in East Greenbush.

Police say it was 23-year-old Bruce Vroman who grabbed 18-year-old Derek George and threw him into the flames. Friends quickly pulled Derek out, but it wasn't fast enough.

18-year-old Derek George can barely speak through his pain. Second and third degree burns cover his leg, back, and half his face. "It hurts a lot," he says softly.

Derek was at a party around a bonfire when he says Bruce Vroman, a man he did not know, yelled a racial slur at him.

Derek's mother, Dorma George, explains, "Out of the blue they're like,'you n***** you need to leave!' "

Derek says he tried to stay calm, telling Vroman, "I take that as disrespect. Just don't say it, please don't say it."

That's when Derek says Vroman rushed at him. Derek fought him to the ground, but does not remember being pushed into the fire. "That's all I remember is saying,'somebody's gonna get hurt,' and waking up with my friends holding me, saying 'you're all burnt up.' "

His mother is calling it a hate crime.

"My son's face, my son's body is burnt. For what? Being black? It's ridiculous," says George.

George says all of her children have been repeatedly harassed by some in Vroman's circle of friends, and she says she's desperate for police intervention.

"It's like a ball of fire just ready to explode, and I'm trying to stop it before someone gets killed...I don't want my son to die like this," she says.

Police say their investigation is not over. Vroman is charged with first degree assault. He's being held in the Rensselaer County Correctional Facility without bail, and has a preliminary hearing set for Tuesday, October 13th.

Derek George is still undergoing outpatient treatment from Albany Medical Center.

http://www.wten.com/Global/story.asp...

Since: Mar 09

Huntsville, AL

#2 Nov 17, 2009
LOUISVILLE, Ky.-- The body an elderly Louisville woman was rotting in her Algonquin neighborhood home for six months before authorities discovered the remains. 89-year-old Sina Harris' decomposed body was found at a house in the 1700-block of Cypress Street early Friday morning following an overnight police standoff with the woman's son.

LMPD officers were called to the home Thursday afternoon to check on the welfare of the woman. Family members apparently hadn't seen her in months. When officers knocked on the door police say her son, 52-year-old Julius Harris, came out holding a gun to his head.

Shortly after Julius Harris surrendered around 1 a.m. Friday, police discovered his mother's partially mummified body. Jefferson County Deputy Coroner Jim Wesley says she died sometime in May of natural causes, probably of heart disease.

Julius Harris is charged with abuse of a corpse and theft by unlawful taking. Police spokesman Dwight Mitchell says it appears Harris was cashing in on some of his mother's income checks after she died.

“Don't Start Nothing ”

Since: Sep 07

It won't be nothing

#3 Nov 17, 2009
22SayNo wrote:
LOUISVILLE, Ky.-- The body an elderly Louisville woman was rotting in her Algonquin neighborhood home for six months before authorities discovered the remains. 89-year-old Sina Harris' decomposed body was found at a house in the 1700-block of Cypress Street early Friday morning following an overnight police standoff with the woman's son.
LMPD officers were called to the home Thursday afternoon to check on the welfare of the woman. Family members apparently hadn't seen her in months. When officers knocked on the door police say her son, 52-year-old Julius Harris, came out holding a gun to his head.
Shortly after Julius Harris surrendered around 1 a.m. Friday, police discovered his mother's partially mummified body. Jefferson County Deputy Coroner Jim Wesley says she died sometime in May of natural causes, probably of heart disease.
Julius Harris is charged with abuse of a corpse and theft by unlawful taking. Police spokesman Dwight Mitchell says it appears Harris was cashing in on some of his mother's income checks after she died.
Are you trying to compare the two SayNo? I sure hope that's not your intention, if so you've failed miserably.

“Scarin the world at bedtime”

Since: Sep 09

YOUR CLOSET

#4 Nov 17, 2009
Phoenix97 wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you trying to compare the two SayNo? I sure hope that's not your intention, if so you've failed miserably.
yeah he is trying to compare the actions of a mentally ill man with a horrible crime commited by a racist, moron. The two dont compare at all, i agree.
Pikeville Pride

Hollywood, AL

#5 Nov 17, 2009
Major FAIL with this post! Try again! LOL
22SayNo wrote:
LOUISVILLE, Ky.-- The body an elderly Louisville woman was rotting in her Algonquin neighborhood home for six months before authorities discovered the remains. 89-year-old Sina Harris' decomposed body was found at a house in the 1700-block of Cypress Street early Friday morning following an overnight police standoff with the woman's son.
LMPD officers were called to the home Thursday afternoon to check on the welfare of the woman. Family members apparently hadn't seen her in months. When officers knocked on the door police say her son, 52-year-old Julius Harris, came out holding a gun to his head.
Shortly after Julius Harris surrendered around 1 a.m. Friday, police discovered his mother's partially mummified body. Jefferson County Deputy Coroner Jim Wesley says she died sometime in May of natural causes, probably of heart disease.
Julius Harris is charged with abuse of a corpse and theft by unlawful taking. Police spokesman Dwight Mitchell says it appears Harris was cashing in on some of his mother's income checks after she died.
meeee

Santa Barbara, CA

#6 Nov 17, 2009
either way what is this world coming to. these both are awful. they show what the world is coming to. it is sick

“Don't Start Nothing ”

Since: Sep 07

It won't be nothing

#8 Nov 18, 2009
Umad wrote:
Gotta keep the fire going somehow.....
Well if you're worried about the fire going out Umad, you can always jump in yourself playboy!
3dognight

Bardstown, KY

#10 Nov 18, 2009
horrible crime, but hesitate to lable it a hate crime. I think the term is used way too loosely.

“Don't Start Nothing ”

Since: Sep 07

It won't be nothing

#11 Nov 18, 2009
3dognight wrote:
horrible crime, but hesitate to lable it a hate crime. I think the term is used way too loosely.
I would have to disagree with you on that one 3dognight. 1.) The kid stated he did not know this guy. 2.) Whenever a grown man calls you racial slurs then proceeds to pick you up and throw you into a raging barn fire, son that's hate plain and simple. What do you think was going to happen to the teen?

If he's not charged with a hate crime he should be facing attempted murder at the least, would you not agree? Look at the kids that set the white kid on fire in Florida there little asses is going to do some real time, and rightfully so. The kids in Florida were under age what's this grown ass man's excuse?

“Don't Start Nothing ”

Since: Sep 07

It won't be nothing

#12 Nov 18, 2009
My bad I meant "bonfire"!!!
Richard

Louisville, KY

#13 Nov 18, 2009
Phoenix97 wrote:
<quoted text>
I would have to disagree with you on that one 3dognight. 1.) The kid stated he did not know this guy. 2.) Whenever a grown man calls you racial slurs then proceeds to pick you up and throw you into a raging barn fire, son that's hate plain and simple. What do you think was going to happen to the teen?
If he's not charged with a hate crime he should be facing attempted murder at the least, would you not agree? Look at the kids that set the white kid on fire in Florida there little asses is going to do some real time, and rightfully so. The kids in Florida were under age what's this grown ass man's excuse?
Attempted murder should be the first charge, Assult, arson and others should follow.\
Answer me this though. Shouldnt every crime that someone is hurt in be labled a hate crime???
PFG

Radcliff, KY

#14 Nov 18, 2009
Richard wrote:
<quoted text>Attempted murder should be the first charge, Assult, arson and others should follow.\
Answer me this though. Shouldnt every crime that someone is hurt in be labled a hate crime???
No. The word "hurt" is not synonymous with "hate." People get hurt and killed every day for reasons other than hatred. Money is a much more common motivator, actually.

A person mugging someone, for example, isn't doing it to intimidate an entire group of people.
3dognight

United States

#15 Nov 19, 2009
so, Phoenix, if I understand correctly, if you are called an offensive name and then a crime is commited against you, it is a hate crime?
If that is the case, we have alot more hate crimes than what are reported. And does this apply to caucasians who are insulted prior to being assaulted?
PFG

Radcliff, KY

#16 Nov 19, 2009
3dognight wrote:
so, Phoenix, if I understand correctly, if you are called an offensive name and then a crime is commited against you, it is a hate crime?
If that is the case, we have alot more hate crimes than what are reported. And does this apply to caucasians who are insulted prior to being assaulted?
I'm not Phoenix, but I can answer your questions, anyway.

For your first question, it would have to be more than the simple concurrence of the two, I believe. The crime has to be directly motivated by hatred. If the person is attacked BECAUSE of their race (or sexuality, religion, etc.), it's a hate crime.

If a caucasian is assaulted simply for being a caucasian, it would be a hate crime.

People seem to have this idea that hate crime legislation covers every crime against minorities. It doesn't; only the ones where race is the motivator.

“Don't Start Nothing ”

Since: Sep 07

It won't be nothing

#17 Nov 19, 2009
3dognight wrote:
so, Phoenix, if I understand correctly, if you are called an offensive name and then a crime is commited against you, it is a hate crime?
If that is the case, we have alot more hate crimes than what are reported. And does this apply to caucasians who are insulted prior to being assaulted?
Status of the 2009 federal hate crimes bill:

A hate crime is a crime of violence that is motivated by hatred of the group to which the victim belongs. Usually, the perpetrator and the victim are strangers to each other. For example, gay bashing involves a violent homophobe physically attacking a victim from the lesbian, gay, and bisexual community. Typically, the goal is twofold:


To express hatred against a random member of that community, and



To terrorize the entire community of which the victim is a member.

Many persons, often conservatives, feel that the perpetrator should be penalized according to the injuries sustained by the victim.

After a decade of struggle, an inclusive hate crimes bill was successful. The bill passed the federal House and Senate on 2009-OCT-22. President Obama signed it into law on 2009-OCT-28.

It will help protect every person in the U.S. from being the victim of a hate crime in eight separate ways, on the basis of their:


Race,


Color,


Religion,


National origin,


Gender, whether female, male or intersexual,


Disability,

Sexual orientation, whether they be bisexual, homosexual, or heterosexual, and


Gender identity, whether they be transgendered or cis-gendered

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/10/22/hate.c...

I hope that helps 3dognight, it's not just about name calling, the guy was singled out for no other reason except his skin color. You need to visit UofL or Jewish Hospitals burn unit, then come back and let's talk about this skin color BS. It's terrible man I wouldn't wish that shit on my worst enemy dude. your entire diet got to change and infection is so easy to set in and if the kid survives every time he looks into a mirror he is reminded of that night for the rest of his life.
Tyrone

Louisville, KY

#18 Nov 19, 2009
Phoenix97 wrote:
EAST GREENBUSH, N.Y.- A Rensselaer County man is behind bars after allegedly tossing a teen into a fire early Friday morning in a fit of rage. It happened at an outdoor party in East Greenbush.
Police say it was 23-year-old Bruce Vroman who grabbed 18-year-old Derek George and threw him into the flames. Friends quickly pulled Derek out, but it wasn't fast enough.
18-year-old Derek George can barely speak through his pain. Second and third degree burns cover his leg, back, and half his face. "It hurts a lot," he says softly.
Derek was at a party around a bonfire when he says Bruce Vroman, a man he did not know, yelled a racial slur at him.
Derek's mother, Dorma George, explains, "Out of the blue they're like,'you n***** you need to leave!' "
Derek says he tried to stay calm, telling Vroman, "I take that as disrespect. Just don't say it, please don't say it."
That's when Derek says Vroman rushed at him. Derek fought him to the ground, but does not remember being pushed into the fire. "That's all I remember is saying,'somebody's gonna get hurt,' and waking up with my friends holding me, saying 'you're all burnt up.' "
His mother is calling it a hate crime.
"My son's face, my son's body is burnt. For what? Being black? It's ridiculous," says George.
George says all of her children have been repeatedly harassed by some in Vroman's circle of friends, and she says she's desperate for police intervention.
"It's like a ball of fire just ready to explode, and I'm trying to stop it before someone gets killed...I don't want my son to die like this," she says.
Police say their investigation is not over. Vroman is charged with first degree assault. He's being held in the Rensselaer County Correctional Facility without bail, and has a preliminary hearing set for Tuesday, October 13th.
Derek George is still undergoing outpatient treatment from Albany Medical Center.
http://www.wten.com/Global/story.asp...
darnnit only one of them.........

“Don't Start Nothing ”

Since: Sep 07

It won't be nothing

#19 Nov 19, 2009
Tyrone wrote:
<quoted text>darnnit only one of them.........
Another Idiot starving for attention!!
Beatrice

Prospect, KY

#20 Nov 20, 2009
Can't help but wonder if this thread would even exist if the man was black and the person he threw in the fire was white.

“Scarin the world at bedtime”

Since: Sep 09

YOUR CLOSET

#21 Nov 20, 2009
Beatrice wrote:
Can't help but wonder if this thread would even exist if the man was black and the person he threw in the fire was white.
well , look who flew in on her broomstick and pulled her KKK hood off, long enough to spew some racism, our favorite troll beatrice

“Don't Start Nothing ”

Since: Sep 07

It won't be nothing

#22 Nov 20, 2009
Bad Boogie Man wrote:
<quoted text> well , look who flew in on her broomstick and pulled her KKK hood off, long enough to spew some racism, our favorite troll beatrice
Agree!!! hahahahaha

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pleasure Ridge Park Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
All gays should be put into concentration camps (Jan '11) 34 min bhag bast 36
cts russell halfway house barbara strahm on com... (May '11) 2 hr CONCERNED TYAXPAYER 104
Group masturbation? (Feb '12) 2 hr Helen 23
Louisville Cardinals vs Kentucky Wildcats Dec 2... 2 hr OMYDAM 7
brad jones fairdale 2 hr lmao 12
door to door meat sales (Jan '13) 10 hr joeschmo 63
Loserville Cardinals are about to be DESTROYED Wed ForumCommando 10
More from around the web

Pleasure Ridge Park People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Pleasure Ridge Park News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Pleasure Ridge Park

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 1:29 pm PST

NBC Sports 1:29PM
Colts say they will be all business despite nothing to gain - NBC Sports
Bleacher Report 2:15 AM
Should New England Patriots Rest Key Starters in Week 17?
Bleacher Report 4:00 AM
Breaking Down Colts' Game Plan vs. Titans
Bleacher Report 5:00 AM
Can't-Miss Picks and Matchup Guide
NBC Sports 6:16 AM
A.J. Green's injured arm "feeling a little better"