Sex offenders need close watch

Sex offenders need close watch

There are 6 comments on the Poughkeepsie Journal story from Sep 29, 2006, titled Sex offenders need close watch. In it, Poughkeepsie Journal reports that:

Dutchess County is stepping up monitoring of registered sex offenders, as the state continues to grapple with the thorny issue of dealing with sexual predators who have completed their prison terms.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Poughkeepsie Journal.

William J Burris II

United States

#1 Sep 30, 2006
Why are tax payers paying the tab for tracking sex offenders? It's time that criminals started being accountable for their behavior. If they want to be free, then let them get jobs and make payments for their own GPS tracking device. If they don't want to do that, keep them in prison. It has been proven over and over in the past that there is no psychiatrist, psychologist, counselor or doctor anywhere that can say a dangerous psychopath is cured. Let them pay for their own freedom.
Carlos Maldonado

New York, NY

#2 Feb 5, 2007
The problem with your logic is that we are ALREADY paying tax dollars supporting inmates. I think somewhere in the neighborhood of $50K/year for each inmate in jail. If we take the road of "letting them rot" in jail, it will get VERY expensive, very quickly. Nonetheless, your point about the difficulty of "curing" a sexual predator is correct. No easy solutions here.
Realistic1488

Syracuse, NY

#4 Apr 25, 2007
There is no rehabilitation for sex offenders, either hang em all or quarantine them somewhere in darkest Africa, it's that simple!
Susie

Toms River, NJ

#5 Jul 12, 2007
I understand your point, but why should get a sex offender get off free. What he/she did is unreprhensible. The sex offender is not the victim here. They should pay for their crime!
realworld

AOL

#7 Nov 2, 2007
not all sex offenders are animals and some are even innocent
anonymous

AOL

#8 Nov 29, 2007
The rise in the number of sex offenders will only serve to increase our tax dollars by the greater number of inmates in Dutchess County Jail.

Something needs to be done about this if we want to separate ourselves from "Westchester."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pleasant Valley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Does 'Are You Jewish?' Hasidic Outreach Build I... Oct 15 Tenenbaum 2
missing teen girls and boys Oct 10 coco4u 1
News We must do more to stop DWI in the community (Mar '11) Oct 6 Vinny Boom Batts 2
News Rolison cites jail expansion, RRA as top Dutche... (Jan '11) Oct 5 CD PTPD RET 2
Bennett Women's College (Sep '16) Sep 26 Gail Hawthorne 2
News What's new in the business scene (Dec '11) Aug '17 Really 11
Vote for Small Business (Mar '17) Aug '17 Hello 6

Pleasant Valley Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pleasant Valley Mortgages