Judge overturns California's ban on s...

Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

There are 201847 comments on the www.cnn.com story from Aug 4, 2010, titled Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage. In it, www.cnn.com reports that:

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.cnn.com.

Winston Smith

United States

#132339 Mar 14, 2012
Sgt Common Sense wrote:
<quoted text>
The best argument you've put forward yet, that is, for marriage equality for same sex couples.
Yes, indeed. He points out the benefits of marriage on personal health and then demands to keep that from someone simply because of their sexual orientation. He doesn't want some folk to gain admission to his club. It is my club as well, and I say come on in and make yourself at home.
Joe Fortuna

Clackamas, OR

#132340 Mar 14, 2012
Watchmann wrote:
<quoted text>
Two problems.
1. There are NO biological children of gay unions to compare. Never has been, never will be. Ever.
2. The only comparison possible is children in biological families or step-families. Children with only one biological parent only qualify for step-family situations.
Of course parenting skills matter. But as the Cinderella Effect points out, biological parents have a distinct evolutionary advantage. This is summarized in the adage, "Blood is thicker than water."
First problem solved.
You don't have to be a biological parent, to be a parent. If you feel differntly please don't adopt, or marry someone with children.
Second problem, solved.
It would seem using the cinderella effect, would just come under poor parenting skills.

Joe Fortuna

Clackamas, OR

#132341 Mar 14, 2012
Watchmann wrote:
<quoted text>
-You are saying that because some biological parents are bad (far less than step parents) all biological parents are bad? Really.
-You are saying that because orphan children need parents, we should put them in clearly disadvantaged settings?
I would suggest that the logical response would be to pursue a healthy setting where both genders are present to rear the orphan. I am sure the child would prefer that too.
Yes the perfect world, would be no child lossing the loving biological parents, sadly it isn't.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#132342 Mar 14, 2012
Joe Fortuna wrote:
<quoted text>
I can tell you why marriage is wanted, because anything else, and it would appear that there relationships are second class.
Not if gay couples established their own identity and its own inherent value. They are only exasperating the problem with this imposition on marriage.

It is no different then one culture or race trying to gain acceptance by copying another.
Winston Smith

United States

#132343 Mar 14, 2012
Watchmann wrote:
This is an incredibly interesting study that enlightens both evolutionary theory and human nature. At the same time it exposes the harshest distinction between biological parents and step parents. A gay union ALWAYS involves a step parent when a child is present.;
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-scien...
"The so-called “Cinderella Effect” is one of the foundational empirical findings in evolutionary psychology. Martin Daly and the late Margo Wilson, the two Deans of Modern Evolutionary Psychology, discovered, in their analysis of homicide data from Canada and Detroit, that stepchildren, those who live with a stepparent (usually, a stepfather), are anywhere from 40 to 100 times as likely to be murdered or maimed as those who live with two biological parents in the household."
Yes, a sound argument for outlawing divorce. Second marriages always involve a stepparent when children from the prior marriage are involved.

Or, if we want to accept your logic then all women who divorce should swing lesbian as men are more often associated with the killing of stepchildren.

Or women should never have custody, joint or sole, unless they agree to remain single until the child is living independently.
Winston Smith

United States

#132344 Mar 14, 2012
Sgt Common Sense wrote:
The other great thing about the article on gay men's improved health after marriage, no one has ever shown any harm to heterosexuals as a result of marriage equality for same-sex couples, now we can show the benefit, lower health care cost!!
Watchmann would get his panties in a twist and storm off in a huff. That ought to count for something.

Location hidden

#132345 Mar 14, 2012
Winston Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
Not only are you an idiot, but your reading and comprehension lives somewhere near the bottom of the outhouse. Attempting to sound intelligent (which is what I said) and sounding intelligent are two entirely different concepts.
You are really touchy about a dumbass idiot...

Location hidden

#132346 Mar 14, 2012
Winston Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, indeed. He points out the benefits of marriage on personal health and then demands to keep that from someone simply because of their sexual orientation. He doesn't want some folk to gain admission to his club. It is my club as well, and I say come on in and make yourself at home.
You can call the tail on a dog a leg...

And the kids will say, "the emperor has no clothes!"
Winston Smith

United States

#132347 Mar 14, 2012
Hey Voyeur wrote:
<quoted text>
Talk about comparing "apples" to "winnebagos"!
You also left out this part of the article:...

Did you even read the article?
Probably not. He just cherry picked a bit of it to support his point, "intelligently," and then get stroppy when it was pointed out he is full of shxt. I just love how EVERYONE ELSE is guilty of twisting the information around to suit their argument.

Location hidden

#132349 Mar 14, 2012
Watchmann wrote: <quoted text> Two problems. 1. There are NO biological children of gay unions to compare. Never has been, never will be. Ever. 2. The only comparison possible is children in biological families or step-families. Children with only one biological parent only qualify for step-family situations. Of course parenting skills matter. But as the Cinderella Effect points out, biological parents have a distinct evolutionary advantage. This is summarized in the adage, "Blood is thicker than water."
Joe Fortuna wrote:
<quoted text>
First problem solved.
You don't have to be a biological parent, to be a parent. If you feel differntly please don't adopt, or marry someone with children.
Second problem, solved.
It would seem using the cinderella effect, would just come under poor parenting skills.
The issue is how you compare parenting between biological parents and gay unions. There is no way to solve the problem except putting gay unions in the same category as step families.

The Cinderella effect is present apart from parenting skills. Other factors only influence, they don't change it.
Winston Smith

United States

#132350 Mar 14, 2012
Joe Fortuna wrote:
<quoted text>
Could you explain what part of my post led you to think thats what I was saying?
In case you have forgot, we were talking about which is more serious, not what is OK.
No I'm saying it seems to be more of a serious situation when the numbers are so much greater in one group than the other.
So tell me if you had a choice, between affecting 100,000 negatively or 50, which would you think would be a better choice?
With his apparent logic failure, linking divorced parent issues to the hopes of two gay folk getting married, you don't expect him to have any semblance of linear thinking do you? I could use his logic to prove that feeding pigeons while sitting in a park causes aging. After all, most of the folks you see doing this are old. There must be a cause and effect linkage between the two.
Dan

United States

#132351 Mar 14, 2012
Watchmann wrote:
<quoted text>
Nature's design is biological parents. One natural and one step-parent of both genders is the next best option.
Tell me a child wouldn't prefer parents in that order...
Was "nature's design" that we as humans held compassion or should we be as amoebas?

Get lost moron.
Dan

United States

#132352 Mar 14, 2012
Watchmann wrote:
<quoted text>
Not if gay couples established their own identity and its own inherent value. They are only exasperating the problem with this imposition on marriage.
It is no different then one culture or race trying to gain acceptance by copying another.
And what's wrong with that?

Gays want a basic right. A basic freedom given we live in a supposed free country.

Either find harm with gay marriage or step aside.

Pretty simple stuff here friend.

Location hidden

#132353 Mar 14, 2012
Winston Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, a sound argument for outlawing divorce. Second marriages always involve a stepparent when children from the prior marriage are involved.
Or, if we want to accept your logic then all women who divorce should swing lesbian as men are more often associated with the killing of stepchildren.
Or women should never have custody, joint or sole, unless they agree to remain single until the child is living independently.
Out of thousands of directions you could reason, you choose this. It only is evidence of how unqualified you are to discussion such an important issue.
Dan

United States

#132354 Mar 14, 2012
Prof Marvel wrote:
<quoted text>
You're new here, aren't you?
Welcome.
And here a tip: lurk and learn. You're not ready for prime time, your comments are incoherent and all over the place.
You have potential, but it's going to take time.
Lots of it.
This is a public forum idiot. Not your house.
Dan

United States

#132355 Mar 14, 2012
Watchmann wrote:
Watchmann wrote: <quoted text> Two problems. 1. There are NO biological children of gay unions to compare. Never has been, never will be. Ever. 2. The only comparison possible is children in biological families or step-families. Children with only one biological parent only qualify for step-family situations. Of course parenting skills matter. But as the Cinderella Effect points out, biological parents have a distinct evolutionary advantage. This is summarized in the adage, "Blood is thicker than water."
<quoted text>
The issue is how you compare parenting between biological parents and gay unions. There is no way to solve the problem except putting gay unions in the same category as step families.
The Cinderella effect is present apart from parenting skills. Other factors only influence, they don't change it.
There is no difference. If you had kids or had seen poor parenting you'd know this.

There are good parents and bad ones. No evidence YET has shown gay parents to be poor ones.

Punk - accept the label.
Winston Smith

United States

#132356 Mar 14, 2012
Rules Of Evidence wrote:
<quoted text>
Alrighty then LOL,Lets take a look at what the peer reviewed experts have to say about same sex family's and the raising of children! But the bottom line is that the children of same sex family's turn out every bit as happy and well adjusted as children in opposite sex family's!
From the Academy of pediatricians,the largest in the country!
www.cga.ct.gov/jud/old/SameSexMarriage/AmAcPe...
From PBS
http://www.pbs.org/now/politics/fightforfamil...
And
www.religioustolerance.org/hom_pare2.htm
From Wiki on Same sex parenting
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_parenting
Please don't confuse Watchmann by pointing to evidence that might make him have to euthanize his DOGma.

What he fails to realise is that a gay person in a heterosexual marriage is living a lie. He or she is not being true to themselves. So how can they be expected to instill a most valuable trait in their offspring, honesty? Furthermore, if the spouse is worth their salt they'll accept their sexual orientation. I won't begrudge them of the upset they most certainly should feel initially. But eventually they should come around. Difficult situation for a family no doubt. But we need to place a little more stock in honesty.

After all, Watchmann, is lobbying for deceit with all his rambling on about divorce. Divorce happens. Yes, it has a negative impact on children. The contribution that same sex marriage would have on this little factoid is probably somewhere near zero percent. Once again, the opposition turns out to be much ado about nothing.
Dan

United States

#132357 Mar 14, 2012
Watchmann wrote:
<quoted text>
Out of thousands of directions you could reason, you choose this. It only is evidence of how unqualified you are to discussion such an important issue.
And what are your 'qualifications'??

Being from Ohio???

LOL!!!
Dan

United States

#132358 Mar 14, 2012
Watchmann wrote:
<quoted text>
You are really touchy about a dumbass idiot...
Friend...

...I could be both. A touchy dumbass idiot but from what I've seen from your sorry ass me and many others have more on the ball than you.

LOL!!!!
Dan

United States

#132359 Mar 14, 2012
Watchmann wrote:
<quoted text>
You can call the tail on a dog a leg...
And the kids will say, "the emperor has no clothes!"
No one is calling the tail on the dog a leg. In fact no one is pointing at the mouth on a goldfish and calling it's his ass either idiot.

Two adults finding mutual love, attraction and a willingness to commit. Marriage. Gays can perform this as well as straights.

There you go sunshine. Hope that pulls your mis-shapen head out of your ass by at least 6 inches.

LOL!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pleasant Hill Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News How Many People Receive Food Stamps In Danville... (Aug '13) 15 hr ok 8
News Santana-inspired Maria Maria restaurant in Mill... (Apr '10) Wed soledad 100
Ron Fleishman is the World's Most Underrated Ph... Wed Me Too 37
Local Politics Do you approve of Ed James as City Manager? Tue bee 1
News Chipotle Mexican Grill coming to Martinez in March (Jan '13) Feb 8 guest 2
News Hero of the Hudson pilot sues over Paradise rea... (Feb '11) Feb 7 ok 10
Local Politics Do you approve of Laura M. Hoffmeister as Mayor? Feb 6 g 4
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Pleasant Hill Mortgages