Dan in Alabama

Birmingham, AL

#1 Jun 12, 2010
I have just seen a news item that tells of Mr. Thatcher being arrested on a sexual abuse charge on or about March 31, 2009. Can anyone tell me if he has been tried for this offense? If so, was he convicted or aquitted? He was my high school band director some 45 years ago. This news saddens me deeply. If anyone can provide information, I would certainly appreciate it. Thank you for your time.
Ellen in Virginia

Leesburg, VA

#2 Oct 12, 2010
He was convicted on one count. I don't know anything about the sentence. He was my music teacher 35 years ago. He never laid a hand on me, and being able to talk with him helped me survive the misery of middle school. I didn't hear accounts of his activities with kids who weren't his students until high school. "Sad" is inadequate to express how I feel, knowing that someone who helped me so much did so much damage to other kids, but I can't come up with a better word.

Mount Laurel, NJ

#3 Feb 11, 2012
Never laid a hand on me either. but he did seem odd in a way. who knows?
Dan in Alabama

Birmingham, AL

#4 Feb 12, 2012
Ellen in Virginia wrote:
He was convicted on one count. I don't know anything about the sentence. He was my music teacher 35 years ago. He never laid a hand on me, and being able to talk with him helped me survive the misery of middle school. I didn't hear accounts of his activities with kids who weren't his students until high school. "Sad" is inadequate to express how I feel, knowing that someone who helped me so much did so much damage to other kids, but I can't come up with a better word.
This makes me wonder if he was actually "covicted" or if he took a plea deal to make the charges go away. Me may not have been guilty of anything, other than bad judgement perhaps, but lacked the resources and energy to do battle in open court. Thatcher was an unusual individual and his background was a little out of the mainstream, especially to a white farm boy in 1963 rural Alabama. But I never saw any evidence that he targeted children or ANYONE for sexual abuse. In fact, I found elements of his personality that I really admired. He was just a little unconventional.
Dan in Alabama

Birmingham, AL

#5 Feb 12, 2012
In fact, if he were today anything like I remember him from 50 years ago, I would happily introduce him to my wife, sons and grandchildren.
Linda from NJ

Teaneck, NJ

#6 Jun 27, 2012
He would take me to the band room....which was in the basement. He was my music teacher in the 1964-65 school year. He's the reason I was told I couldn't go to that school anymore. Because of all the hoopla about that coach in PA., on a whim I typed in Ronald Thatcher music teacher and up pops his mug shot.

I have been vindicated. Back in the "old days"
the adults were right and kids were thrown under the bus.

Alabama, Virginia, NJ, Nebraska.....molest a kid and go on to the next state?
birmingham escapee

Washington, DC

#7 Jan 16, 2014
I spoke with Ron Thatcher several times after his arrest. It had sonething to do with his dautghter but he swore it was his ex wife pushing her to charge him. He got probation and yes it was only ine count on a plea bargain, When I saw him he was notr healthy looking at all, but was the same old Ron Thatcher. He has since passed away cause is unknown to me. He was a good band teacher did a lot for the band at West End High School

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Plattsmouth Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Do you approve of Rita Sanders as Mayor? (Mar '14) Aug 30 micheal0017 2
Bret Michaels To Hold Benefit Concert For Pilger Jul '14 Carolyn Carter 1
Armed Robbery Jul '14 Sherry 2
shooting ? Jul '14 Mark Twain 3
Hogantown Drive Speed "Bump" Jun '14 Ljbks 1
Offutt AFB Music Emporium (Oct '12) Jun '14 Musikologist 9
Police dogs armed with titanium teeth (Feb '14) May '14 Beady bums dogs 2
•••
•••
•••