What was the the Naugatuck Valley Mall like?

Posted in the Plantsville Forum

Comments
1 - 11 of 11 Comments Last updated Mar 22, 2014
Aaron

Bristol, CT

#1 Jun 8, 2013
I wasn't alive for when it was around for the most part unfortunately. What were the stores there? Any unique features? Restaurants? I heard they had a movie theater, how big was it? Was it better then the Brass Mill Center? Just any memories you had with the mall, it's a shame I couldn't be around it when it was open.
Mall Rat

Middletown, CT

#3 Jun 19, 2013
Hi,
Remember it well. Movie Theater was larger when new. They remodeled and made the theaters smaller to add new ones. Mall had two large fountains, one by GFox and one by Sears. Teens favorite haunts - Pet Shop, Hickory Farms (for free samples)and Now Shop. Best Lunch-Friendlies if you could get a table or stool at the Pizza Restaurant for a slice. McCory's lunch counter was gross. Loved Foxmoore's, bought lots of cool tops there. Twisted my ankle on the cobblestone looking tile that was through out the mall. Could never get a seat on the benches. They were always filled with seniors. Towards the end it started getting run down and the better stores had less and less to offer. Meriden Mall was far superior and is still going. I'm old enough to remember the drive in theater that was there before the mall and all that was built up around it. They should have left it. That area is ugly in comparison now.
Aaron

Brookfield, CT

#4 Jul 1, 2013
Thanks that really helped! And I agree it's a shame mall view cinemas can never stay in business either, but the mall seemed a pretty fun place to be.
Waterbury is a Toilet

Newington, CT

#5 Jul 17, 2013
Naugatuck Valley Mall was superior at it's time, as a kid or an adult it was the place to go. Movie theater was always full, a short walk down the isle was the pizza joint where you could get slices as quick as you ordered them. Christmas time was awesome, this mall was always full and was a fun place to be.

New mall is a toilet, everyone has the "Waterbury attitude". Problem is all other malls are superior and a better atmosphere.
Tara

New London, CT

#6 Aug 12, 2013
I used to go to the Naugatuck Valley Mall all the time as a kid. I loved Waldenbooks (remember when there were book stores?!), the pet shop, Capezio (clothing store), and G.Wizz which sold stationery and fun pens and cards. They also had a K.B. Toy Store which my brother and I visited every time we went there. They had a Baskin Robbins where you could get ice cream, and toward the end of its run, it even had a Claire's accessory shop. My mom did all of our back-to-school shopping at the J.C. Penney there. Hope that helps!:)
Waterbury Gen-Xer

Southington, CT

#7 Aug 20, 2013
Tara wrote:
I used to go to the Naugatuck Valley Mall all the time as a kid. I loved Waldenbooks (remember when there were book stores?!), the pet shop, Capezio (clothing store), and G.Wizz which sold stationery and fun pens and cards. They also had a K.B. Toy Store which my brother and I visited every time we went there. They had a Baskin Robbins where you could get ice cream, and toward the end of its run, it even had a Claire's accessory shop. My mom did all of our back-to-school shopping at the J.C. Penney there. Hope that helps!:)
There was definitely no JCPenney there. They had a G Fox/Filenes, Sears and a Worth's.
Daniel Damotta

Nassau, NY

#8 Sep 1, 2013
There were far less blacks, which if course made it a Better place. Then the coloreds came in and ruined everything.
Chris

Orlando, FL

#9 Nov 12, 2013
i'm 51 and I remember getting into MoM's 66 impala ss and heading to the mall. it was a day trip shoping and mom used to like to eat at the Restaurant on the 2nd floor of Foxes. when the mall was fairly new the fountains at either end of the mall were made to look like old pirate ships with water wheels and treasure chest's and gold and jewls. later the remodeled them to near nothing like that at all. the new Mall Brass city mall was just a poor attempt to bring jobs to Waterbury, ive never seen so many shoe stores in one place ever.not to mention the fact that all they did is bring a lot of minimum wage jobs at best, most are only part time for kids in school. as i got older we used to ride the train and or bus to waterbury from Naugatuck just to hang out all day on the weekend. movie,pizza and the Now Shop(old day head shop)Ive since left the area and havent looked back till I saw this.Now in Orlando Fl. to stay..
Frank

Tallahassee, FL

#10 Dec 16, 2013
The NVM was definitely the place to be for a teen or even younger in the 70's and 80's. first movie I saw at the theater was The Muppett Movie in 1979. I remember it also had a place to get hot dogs right across from the pizza joint, also a big news rack in between the two. The fave of all teens and youngsters? The East/West Store... it sold concert tees, patches for jean jackets (remember those?) and cool stuff like nunchuks, Chinese stars, and other weapons you would get imprisoned or banished for today if you brought them to school. Back then the principal would take them and give 'm back after school. The movie theater when I knew it had four auditoriums. I still preferred the Colonial Plaza theater though.
sandi

New York, NY

#11 Mar 22, 2014
Daniel Damotta wrote:
There were far less blacks, which if course made it a Better place. Then the coloreds came in and ruined everything.
ignorant response
M. Feelgood PhD

Reading, MA

#12 Mar 22, 2014
sandi wrote:
<quoted text>ignorant response
Not quite as ignorant as you'd like to paint it. As the inner city youths increased their patrols through this mall, business declined. Wealthier people from the surrounding cities and towns stopped frequenting, and sales dropped. Crime rose, businesses pulled out and the mall failed. It's the same story for Brass Mill.
So yes, the "Blacks" did screw it up. And there's your socioeconomic proof.
Suck it.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Plantsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
how many officers does it take to patrol rec park Sat 4 the good 1
Review: Dafina's Boutique LLC (Oct '08) Aug 27 Val 15
Review: All PRO Transmission And Auto Repair (Jul '13) Aug 24 Annoyed 5
Review: Benefits Group The Aug 24 buyer beware 1
Another Accomplice Of Bridgeport Meth Priest Is... Aug 21 Citizen44 2
Billy Smolinski $60,000 Aug 19 Give it up 1
Letter: Waterbury line is worth the trouble Aug 11 Sir Samuel 1
•••
•••
•••