Jittery Homeowners Look For Other Hea...

Jittery Homeowners Look For Other Heat Sources

There are 124 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Jul 19, 2008, titled Jittery Homeowners Look For Other Heat Sources. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

On a beach-perfect July Wednesday, winter's distant chill drove Dan and Terri Bohn from their comfortable Bristol home into a Plantsville store that sells wood-burning stoves.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

Katie

Wethersfield, CT

#23 Jul 19, 2008
Middle Class resident wrote:
My problem is the gov is helping those low income families who can not afford to heat their houses what about the middle class? Don't make enough to pay the bills but make too much to get help. I really stinks to be in the middle you seem to be the one who struggles the most with no help from anywhere!
No kidding. It's all well and good that low income folks will have their oil bills paid for, but most of the residents of CT are middle class and we get ZERO assistance, even though the doubling of these fuel prices is hurting a lot of middle class families.

We're setting aside $300/month for our oil this winter and it still may not be enough.
Katie

Wethersfield, CT

#24 Jul 19, 2008
Oh, and we don't drive gas guzzlers, and we keep the thermostats at 64 all winter long and wear a sweater. Not all Americans are energy wasting fools.
slow down development

Sandwich, MA

#25 Jul 19, 2008
it's the democrats putting fear into the media, and they spreading it.vote these clowns out in the next election and get people who are going to help us, and if they don't do their job, vote them out.
slow down development

Sandwich, MA

#26 Jul 19, 2008
gas will go down if we can get good representation from our government.hey if there is anyone who can do a better job than the clowns we have in office , take a shot at it.
Wood Baron

Wethersfield, CT

#27 Jul 19, 2008
One more thing. I'm a Republican the has been heating his home with wood for over 12 years. My heat never came on once last year.

All my wood was cut and split myself and I never paid a dime for any of it. I would get it off the side of the road from road clearing projects, knock on doors when I saw a tree being cut down, scavenge from the local transfer station, and even took some trunks when trees were cut down on a 95 degree day at our local town hall.

I always had plenty of wood because people are too lazy to cut it themselves. Right now I have Oak cut and stacked under cover in my backyard. All free with my sweat labor. About four years worth.

There's a certain satisfaction in the fact I don't have to rely on the oil man to keep warm.

I can't wait to hear all the stories this year about chimney fires and people burning down their houses because they will firing up every old dinosaur from the 70's and burning all sorts of crap in it.
Shoreliner

Guilford, CT

#28 Jul 19, 2008
Fun Is wrote:
<quoted text>
Snoreliner, Not even the most cynical and devoted Bushite believes that. Offshore and ANWR have the capacity to deliver, at most, 4% of our oil demand, and they won't be able to deliver for at least 10 years. The promise of a small increase in domestic production 10 years from now will not impact speculation or reatil cost. But don't start worrying about the facts now. Your ignorant rants have served you so well this far.
Fact: Two years to get at the oil in AWNR and some of the adjacent areas of the Gulf where drilling is already occurring.

Fact: There are more fossil fuel reserves in the U.S. than the entire Middle East combined.

The U.S. needs to tell the world that we will be energy self-sufficient in 5 years. Increased drilling is the first step in this plan and the bridge we need to get to renewable sources.

$700 billion leaving the American economy annually for energy. Fix this and America's economic picture brightens overnight.

Drill here, Drill now, Save money

No downside to this approach.

- Puts more Americans to work at high paying jobs
- Reduces the trade deficit / Makes American economy more vibrant with lower interest rates
- Reduces our need to cowtow to Middle Eastern dictators and Hugo Chavez

Sounds like a winner to me.
disgusted

Boston, MA

#29 Jul 19, 2008
Absolutely unreal, this is how the economy keeps getting worse and worse -- it's affecting all of us, except the CEO and other top executives at ExxonMobil who make $50 million a year, god forbid they took a payment to $30 million a year oh geez, how would they heat their homes with a salary like that?? As people , citizens of Connecticut, of America, we have to unite and raise our voices this is bs
slow down development

Sandwich, MA

#30 Jul 19, 2008
republicans and democrats have failed us ,not because of their poloicies or believes , because of their laziness and their self indulgence for them selves.we the people of the u.s. need to take responsibiltie and vote these politicians out of office.what we need is new blood and people who understand our pains and needs.we need change of people , not our parties.
Wood Baron

Wethersfield, CT

#31 Jul 19, 2008
disgusted wrote:
Absolutely unreal, this is how the economy keeps getting worse and worse -- it's affecting all of us, except the CEO and other top executives at ExxonMobil who make $50 million a year, god forbid they took a payment to $30 million a year oh geez, how would they heat their homes with a salary like that?? As people , citizens of Connecticut, of America, we have to unite and raise our voices this is bs
Yea and you feed the machine.

Buy a bike. Carpool. Burn wood. Buy a more fuel efficient car. Insulate your house. Get an efficient boiler. Put a blanket on you hot water heater. Turn down your thermostat.

Lower the demand and you lower the profit. Stop blaming your drug dealer.
Data please

United States

#32 Jul 19, 2008
Shoreliner wrote:
<quoted text>
Fact: Two years to get at the oil in AWNR and some of the adjacent areas of the Gulf where drilling is already occurring.
Fact: There are more fossil fuel reserves in the U.S. than the entire Middle East combined.
The U.S. needs to tell the world that we will be energy self-sufficient in 5 years. Increased drilling is the first step in this plan and the bridge we need to get to renewable source.
Though I agree with your opinion that as a country we need to be energy-sufficient, I'm calling shenanigans on you until you can provide some credible data to back up your statements.
Wood Baron

Wethersfield, CT

#33 Jul 19, 2008
slow down development wrote:
republicans and democrats have failed us ,not because of their poloicies or believes , because of their laziness and their self indulgence for them selves.we the people of the u.s. need to take responsibiltie and vote these politicians out of office.what we need is new blood and people who understand our pains and needs.we need change of people , not our parties.
So much for personal responsibility. It's always somebody else's fault right? Not ours as Americans?
into the alley

Sandwich, MA

#34 Jul 19, 2008
republicans and democrats have failed us, not because of their polocies or believes , because of their laziness and their self indulgence for themselves. we the people of the u.s. need to take responsibilities and vote these politicians out of office . what we neeed is new blood and people who understand our pains and needs. we need change of people , not our parties.
Wood Baron

Wethersfield, CT

#35 Jul 19, 2008
Shoreliner wrote:
<quoted text>
The U.S. needs to tell the world that we will be energy self-sufficient in 5 years. Increased drilling is the first step in this plan and the bridge we need to get to renewable sources.
$700 billion leaving the American economy annually for energy. Fix this and America's economic picture brightens overnight.
Drill here, Drill now, Save money
No downside to this approach.
- Puts more Americans to work at high paying jobs
- Reduces the trade deficit / Makes American economy more vibrant with lower interest rates
- Reduces our need to cowtow to Middle Eastern dictators and Hugo Chavez
Sounds like a winner to me.
and when ANWR goes dry what then? We'll still be in the same situation, but it will be our children's problem. It's like curing the heroin addict by giving him more heroin.

Nuclear and solar power is where the future is at including electric cars. Not drilling.
Good Greef

Boston, MA

#36 Jul 19, 2008
Shoreliner wrote:
Drill here, Drill now, Save money.
This would take a lot of the current speculation of future oil prices and ultimately improve our balance of trade account as $700 billion per annum is leaving the U.S. for energy.
Exactly! And as for "Fun IS" Forget Alaska and you are right, offshore drilling will account for little. However, in the west and towards the northeast there is oil under shale. Enough to equal Saudi Arabia's reserves. Experts predict 5 years at the most and if this started 5 years ago, then this forum would have never happened! I never understood why we would pay a high price for something we have right here!
Good Greef

Boston, MA

#37 Jul 19, 2008
Data please wrote:
<quoted text>
Though I agree with your opinion that as a country we need to be energy-sufficient, I'm calling shenanigans on you until you can provide some credible data to back up your statements.
Data, you want data! Do you watch TV, read the paper or listen to the radio? All the data you need apprears there on a daily basis!
Good Greef

Boston, MA

#38 Jul 19, 2008
Wood Baron wrote:
One more thing. I'm a Republican the has been heating his home with wood for over 12 years. My heat never came on once last year.
All my wood was cut and split myself and I never paid a dime for any of it. I would get it off the side of the road from road clearing projects, knock on doors when I saw a tree being cut down, scavenge from the local transfer station, and even took some trunks when trees were cut down on a 95 degree day at our local town hall.
I always had plenty of wood because people are too lazy to cut it themselves. Right now I have Oak cut and stacked under cover in my backyard. All free with my sweat labor. About four years worth.
There's a certain satisfaction in the fact I don't have to rely on the oil man to keep warm.
I can't wait to hear all the stories this year about chimney fires and people burning down their houses because they will firing up every old dinosaur from the 70's and burning all sorts of crap in it.
Wow, you're my hero! Did you replant any of the trees you cut down? You think you're the only one who does things to make life easier? Take your "look at me, hero BS and go save a tree!
Obama Forever

Ottawa, Canada

#39 Jul 19, 2008
Fun Is wrote:
<quoted text>
Snoreliner, Not even the most cynical and devoted Bushite believes that. Offshore and ANWR have the capacity to deliver, at most, 4% of our oil demand, and they won't be able to deliver for at least 10 years. The promise of a small increase in domestic production 10 years from now will not impact speculation or reatil cost. But don't start worrying about the facts now. Your ignorant rants have served you so well this far.
Why don't you get your facts straight before slamming others. Drilling plateaus sit idle now because Democrats have prevented their use. Resuming drilling on some platofrms in California and Mississippi which now exist can pump additional oil into the supply stream in one to two years. Experts I have read (as opposed to those you have read) say 5 years is the time when new drilling resources will bring more oil to the market. Whether 5 or 10, I would like to know when Obama's and Pelosi's and Kerry's call for these new vehicles will be produced in sufficient quantity, and alternative fuels such as hydrogen will be produced and available in sufficient quantity? Are these things ready now? You say 10 years is so far away for drilling, how long til we have those biofuel cars available for everyone. I will get one if a sedan model is available and it doesn't cost more than a vehicle with a combustion engine. How soon will these be available - they better be ready quicker than drilling, or you should stop criticizing drilling proponents. Let's do both. BTW, if drilling platforms are being built by other countries, right alongside where we want to drill, why aren't you criticizing those countries?
Shoreliner

Guilford, CT

#40 Jul 19, 2008
Data please wrote:
<quoted text>
Good interview on ANWR.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,149850,00...
Obama Forever

Ottawa, Canada

#41 Jul 19, 2008
Just keep voting Democratis and you needn't worry about heating oil. The welfare recipients will be nice and warm. The junkies will be warm in their "hope houses", and the unwed mothers will get their heating bills paid. You dumb working stiffs who vote Democrat - well, the Democrats are holding investigations and hearings, so you shouldn't worry. Rosa DeLauro hears your pain. What more do you want? You keep voting Democratic and look what happens.
IN THE MEANTIME, TRY THESE THINGS TO SAVE FOR YOUR HEATING BILL:
1, cancel the cable tv
2. get rid of the cellular phone
3. stop eating out
4. don't vacation far away from home (You have the Sound, what more do you want?
Leave tose luxuries for the welfare class and the unwed mothers you support.
Shoreliner

Guilford, CT

#42 Jul 19, 2008
Wood Baron wrote:
<quoted text>
and when ANWR goes dry what then? We'll still be in the same situation, but it will be our children's problem. It's like curing the heroin addict by giving him more heroin.
Nuclear and solar power is where the future is at including electric cars. Not drilling.
Nobody is saying that ANWR is the holy grail for America's energy needs. It is just simply a bridge from where we are today to where we want to be in the future with renewable technologies.

What part of this do you not understand?

Understand this: if Slick Willie had allowed the development of ANWR to begin during his administration, the U.S. would be getting a one barrels of oil from there daily.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Plantsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Steve Joseph Of Cheshire, CT Sanofi harassment ... (Feb '13) 3 hr Feministguy 12
News PLAINVILLE: Two Men Arrested On Drug Charges (Feb '09) May 26 J quilter 15
Review: Dafina's Boutique LLC (Oct '08) May 17 Linda 19
News Shinaje Watson May 15 User2015 1
waterbury tops n bottoms were r u May 13 Blazebby 1
Review: Ricci's Home Improvement Co (May '14) May 11 beaten by ricci 6
Review: All PRO Transmission And Auto Repair (Jul '13) May 6 Jay 8
More from around the web

Plantsville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]