Contractors For Perez Fined -- Couran...

Contractors For Perez Fined -- Courant.com

There are 44 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Oct 10, 2007, titled Contractors For Perez Fined -- Courant.com. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

A builder, a plumber and an unlicensed electrician who did illegal home improvement work for Hartford Mayor Eddie A. Perez have been fined thousands of dollars by the state for their roles in the renovation.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

Norm

Avon, CT

#22 Oct 11, 2007
Don't expect Bloomie to do anything. Eddies got him in his pocket. And the Ethics Committee, hell Eddies probably chairman of that also. He's got his nose involved in everything and everyone isn City Hall is afraid of him. Hartford sucks
lag - west htfd

Jamesville, NC

#23 Oct 11, 2007
I'm just thankful that I moved out of Hartford 7 years ago. What a corrupt mess--King Eddie and his cronies are as bad, if not worse than Johnnie R. This is probably just the tip of the iceberg; and a few thousand in fines doesn't really affect anyone. It's like a slap on the wrist. They'll make it up with their next paying customer. What a joke--go out and vote King Eddie into office again so he can continue his home improvements. You are getting exactly what you deserve if he is re-elected knowing what you all now know.
rickbee

Hartford, CT

#24 Oct 11, 2007
lag - west htfd wrote:
I'm just thankful that I moved out of Hartford 7 years ago. What a corrupt mess--King Eddie and his cronies are as bad, if not worse than Johnnie R. This is probably just the tip of the iceberg; and a few thousand in fines doesn't really affect anyone. It's like a slap on the wrist. They'll make it up with their next paying customer. What a joke--go out and vote King Eddie into office again so he can continue his home improvements. You are getting exactly what you deserve if he is re-elected knowing what you all now know.
Truer words were never writ. Our only hope is that those new expensive voting machines will screw up. I'll be at McCauley's fund raiser on Friday at the G Fox building. I hope to see you there.
Bootboyrick

United States

#25 Oct 11, 2007
For someone who is mayor, he sure is a stupid one. How could you hire someone that isn't licenced? Any person who has work done on their house checks the contractor out before they do work on it but yet we have a mayor that doesn't even bother to check? Of course we all know that Perez is a crook anyway so this doesn't really surprise me. You put evil people in office and this is the type of city you get. Corruption, drugs, violence, murder and everything else. You get what you vote for. Whatever happened to morals and living in the light of GOD. Since our nation has fallen away from GOD this is the type of thing you see in city after city. Take a look at the Jews. Have they had a moments peace since they put Jesus to death? Of course the Jews don't want to take the blame for this but the Bible doesn't lie. The Romans did just what the leaders of the jews wanted. When you fall away from GOD this is what happens and now this is happening in this country. Just take a look around you.
irked to the max

United States

#26 Oct 11, 2007
ethnics always comes before ethics except in the dictionary
Hartford Homeowner

Storrs Mansfield, CT

#27 Oct 11, 2007
It is shameful. I remodelled my home last year and had to pull permits for everything I did, including just to place the bathroom faucet (this is not a joke!). Moreover, the contractor required a deposit for one half of the total charge before starting the job. After one half of the job was completed, I had to make periodic payments as other parts of the job was done. This is what I expected because it is what happens with all contractors therefore something really stinks about the Mayor not paying for his construction job for two years after completion and it just happens that the contractor is a city contractor will millions of dollars in city contracts.
This is happening at the same time when a city inspection and license inspector is sending me a notice that he had emergency work performed on my investment property without contacting me and when I inspected the work he supposedly ordered done one, was not done and two, was not needed because the claimed problem did not exist according to a licensed professional. I am going to make a very big issue of this and do my part to stop corruption.
Early Childhood Adv

Hartford, CT

#28 Oct 11, 2007
Mr. Perez, I am a bit confused and I beleive I am not the only one to be confused these days, especially, when it comes to taxes and legal businesses (small businesses in particular) who are fighting to stay alive and pay their due share of higher and higher taxes which in your case seems not to be the situation. I am not stating that you were aware of the legitimacies of these "businesses" but I am certain that stiffer penalties could have been incurred. I remember a particular case of a small time self owned business/trade person who was arrested for not having the proper license and was given a hefty fine (he did work for an individual who wasn't satisfied with the work done and asked this individual to correct error? and then called the police...whatever became of this man I do not know (northern part of the NE) but I am certain $1500 fine wasn't all he got...All in fairness, I agree, we shouldn't have to pay taxes (or at least not high taxes...what don't we pay taxes on in this state...is there a tax on going to the potty?...so that more able people can keep what they have worked so hard for...narcotics sold because???and instead of your? plan to raise them in the next 5 years (20% increase x 5) they should be lowered if not removed all together...!
One Voice

Overland Park, KS

#29 Oct 11, 2007
Joe wrote:
As far as I knew, it was up to the owner of the property to make sure the permits are in place and if not apply for them.
Well, in some cases it's actually up to the contractor - either the contractor obtains the permits or asks the homeowner to. The permits (building, zoning) MUST be prominently displayed in a window (or similar)
As 1. a home owner and 2. the Mayor, Mr. Perez knows he needs permits.
CollinsHell

Salem, OR

#30 Oct 11, 2007
Hartford Homeowner wrote:
It is shameful. I remodelled my home last year and had to pull permits for everything I did, including just to place the bathroom faucet (this is not a joke!). Moreover, the contractor required a deposit for one half of the total charge before starting the job. After one half of the job was completed, I had to make periodic payments as other parts of the job was done. This is what I expected because it is what happens with all contractors therefore something really stinks about the Mayor not paying for his construction job for two years after completion and it just happens that the contractor is a city contractor will millions of dollars in city contracts.
This is happening at the same time when a city inspection and license inspector is sending me a notice that he had emergency work performed on my investment property without contacting me and when I inspected the work he supposedly ordered done one, was not done and two, was not needed because the claimed problem did not exist according to a licensed professional. I am going to make a very big issue of this and do my part to stop corruption.
The unlicensed contractor, no permits and town building officials not doing their job is a HUGE issue in Connecticut that gets very little press and when it does, the lovely caveat of "buyer / owner beware!" is used.

ENOUGH!!! The mayor, his contractor, and the building official should be used as examples.

Why were there no permits pulled?

Why were unlicensed people used?

Has the Building Official fined the mayor? If not, why???

Has a stop work been issued until the proper permits were pulled??

The AG's office needs to get involved with this very expensive and potentially dangerous issue right away.

Let's say the mayor sells his house and the next person gets electricuted by the job done by the unlicensed contractor. According to some, it's buyer beware - why is this? If the CONNECTICUT BUILDING CODE is the law of the land, not suggestion, but Code, is that you must pull a permit - then enforce the Buildling Code!

The DCP is doing the right thing - let's get the AG's office to do the right thing as well.
MrLogical

New Canaan, CT

#31 Oct 11, 2007
The city of Hartford deserves the officials they elect. If they look at what Eddie's done and can't see that he's simply another self-absorbed crooked poitician, and they elect him in November - then they deserve him.

Hartford will never turn around and redeem its tarnished image ("Shining Star"? Ha!!!) until it turns back crooks like Eddie.

In the meantime, the buidling department can and should fine Eddie too. Does anyone think they will?
MrLogical

New Canaan, CT

#32 Oct 11, 2007
CollinsHell wrote:
<quoted text>
The unlicensed contractor, no permits and town building officials not doing their job is a HUGE issue in Connecticut that gets very little press and when it does, the lovely caveat of "buyer / owner beware!" is used.
ENOUGH!!! The mayor, his contractor, and the building official should be used as examples.
Why were there no permits pulled?
Why were unlicensed people used?
Has the Building Official fined the mayor? If not, why???
Has a stop work been issued until the proper permits were pulled??
The AG's office needs to get involved with this very expensive and potentially dangerous issue right away.
Let's say the mayor sells his house and the next person gets electricuted by the job done by the unlicensed contractor. According to some, it's buyer beware - why is this? If the CONNECTICUT BUILDING CODE is the law of the land, not suggestion, but Code, is that you must pull a permit - then enforce the Buildling Code!
The DCP is doing the right thing - let's get the AG's office to do the right thing as well.
Not that i disagree with all of what you've said, but do you really think that AG Richard "where's the camera" Blumenthal will give even a minute's thought to investigating Eddie? Dream on.

Where there's smoke there's fire. This remodeling scam is probably just the tip of the iceberg. If this were a Republican mayor, "Blumie" would be on the tube every night along with clowns Amman and Williams and a host of other Democrat leeches.
Not Surprised

Hartford, CT

#33 Oct 11, 2007
hartford reality wrote:
How can Consumer Protection complete their investigations and issue fines so promptly, and the States Attorney can't? Are they purposely dragging their feet to influence the election? How could anyone in their right mind vote for Perez?
Remember this is a Huge Political Machine they are all connected.
East Hartford

Greenfield, MA

#34 Oct 11, 2007
This is absolutely an abuse of power. I smell a dirty fat Hartford RAT! Mayor Perez, you should be ashamed of yourself. That money should have gone to the schools' construction projects not your own wallet. I'll stop now while ahead of the game.
Paul

United States

#35 Oct 11, 2007
What is it with CT politicians and hot tubs???? I see "little eddie" has not learned the first rule of politics. Contractors+HotTub= OH I had no idea scamming the system would catch up with me. If Hartford residents continue to support his office-- the message is clear,they don't mind taking care of Perez.
Rowland's on the speaking tour he's taken responsibility and has a future. I guess we won't see Perez representing the UNIONS
CollinsHell

Salem, OR

#36 Oct 12, 2007
MrLogical wrote:
<quoted text>
Not that i disagree with all of what you've said, but do you really think that AG Richard "where's the camera" Blumenthal will give even a minute's thought to investigating Eddie? Dream on.
Where there's smoke there's fire. This remodeling scam is probably just the tip of the iceberg. If this were a Republican mayor, "Blumie" would be on the tube every night along with clowns Amman and Williams and a host of other Democrat leeches.
I truly believe that it is a sad state of affairs when the States Attorney, AG, and local building official haven't weighed in on the Mayor completing thumbing his nose at Connecticut Building Code.

When you and I go to work, we are expected to do our jobs to the fulliest of our ability, yet the the State Attorney, AG, and local Buidlding Official appear to be doing absolutely nothing about this.

This is absolutely disgusting and yet oh so typical in our fair state.
MrLogical

Milldale, CT

#37 Oct 12, 2007
CollinsHell wrote:
<quoted text>
I truly believe that it is a sad state of affairs when the States Attorney, AG, and local building official haven't weighed in on the Mayor completing thumbing his nose at Connecticut Building Code.
When you and I go to work, we are expected to do our jobs to the fulliest of our ability, yet the the State Attorney, AG, and local Buidlding Official appear to be doing absolutely nothing about this.
This is absolutely disgusting and yet oh so typical in our fair state.
Check out the state of CT's website and the AG's link, and read the oath of office that Blumie took when he was elected.

How can this gut sleep at night, and why do people keep electing him?
charles

United States

#38 Oct 13, 2007
A den of Crooks; Hartford got a mayor who is the exGov first cousin in crime. I call it a slave mind when you let other tell you how to vote. How many other things has shady Eddie done or will do; when he the Mayor again?
Mayor perez

Keene, NH

#39 Oct 14, 2007
I love the Mayor, but why did he choose to live in bloomfield? shame mr mayor!
Mayor Perez

Keene, NH

#40 Oct 14, 2007
It's unbelievable the Mayor of Hartford, lives in Bloomfiel, CT he does nto have a home in the City where the people voted him in???
Mayor Perez

Keene, NH

#41 Oct 14, 2007
Mayor Perez has all the Hartford resident voted for him but yet he does not live in Hartford, what dumb people are thes including my dam self?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Plantsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Missing girl reportedly with Bridgeport man Jun 1 Samuels Furnace Man 11
Southwick & Meister (Mar '13) May '16 Former Employee 2
Does anyone know Shawn Strauss May '16 Sick of this 3
News DEA, state police crack down on 'outlaw motorcy... (Dec '05) May '16 TR supporter 198
News Trump's deportation plan could slice 2 percent ... May '16 HOLLA ISABELLA 18
News Police Officer, Wife Arrested -- Courant.com (Jul '07) May '16 Joe 234
News The Relics Of Retail (Feb '08) Apr '16 JustBob 34

Plantsville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Plantsville Mortgages