Contractors For Perez Fined -- Courant.com

A builder, a plumber and an unlicensed electrician who did illegal home improvement work for Hartford Mayor Eddie A. Perez have been fined thousands of dollars by the state for their roles in the renovation. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
What Does Perez Pay

La Puente, CA

#1 Oct 10, 2007
Is there a fine for him? Does he owe the town a fee on these permits? Is there more property tax involved to be paid as this really added value to his house Between revaluations... Does Perez have to pay anything more? Seems a lot like John Rowland's Cottage thing. A scandal just the same...It does not seem to matter any more. DeLuca is still there..
hartford reality

Manchester, CT

#2 Oct 10, 2007
How can Consumer Protection complete their investigations and issue fines so promptly, and the States Attorney can't? Are they purposely dragging their feet to influence the election? How could anyone in their right mind vote for Perez?
Bugzy McGurk

Newington, CT

#3 Oct 10, 2007
I would think the property should be condemned until inspections deem it safe for human habitation. I would also expect that the homeowner's insurance premium to skyrocket, if not cancel.....and I sure hope that the mortgage holder has been notified.
Same old same old

Manchester, CT

#4 Oct 10, 2007
Bugzy McGurk wrote:
I would think the property should be condemned until inspections deem it safe for human habitation. I would also expect that the homeowner's insurance premium to skyrocket, if not cancel.....and I sure hope that the mortgage holder has been notified.
There is no mortgage, he paid it off cash earlier this year. If anyone else did this, the building would be shut down until they were in compliance. Perez does not feel he has to abide by any rules, and it seems like no agency is willing to enforce the laws. Even today, Elections Enforcement is handling claims against him in "executive session". Why? Doesn't the public have the right to know that he is the most corrupt public official inthe state? I guess this is one of the benefits of having Attorney General Blumenthal as a friend and ally, the rules can be overlooked, no matter how corrupt you are.

Imagine if this was Gov. Rell or Lisa Moody doing the same things? They would be in jail by now.
WHIG

East Hartford, CT

#5 Oct 10, 2007
Natually there were no permits taken out for the renovations! If the mayor had pulled permits he would have had a propety tax increase reflecting the increased property value. Wouldn't want that!!
Blumenthal Overlooked

La Puente, CA

#6 Oct 10, 2007
Blumenthal overlooked bring Rowland to trial on The Same Charges & MORE he plead guilty to in Federal Court. Connecticut could have fined him and attached part of his pension income.
Mrs Smith

Winsted, CT

#7 Oct 10, 2007
Is there not a single 'clean' politician to be found anywhere? A sad day for Hartford, especially because this is just the incident that has been exposed ... there are surely countless other incidents of corruption with this man. Sigh.
Brewster

Danbury, CT

#8 Oct 10, 2007
Another example of a Mayor in a Connecticut city that has taken advantage of his position for his own personal betterment. Seems like a broken record. I'm a Big Shot....I can get away with anything I want. CLEAN UP POLITICIANS!
hartfordisadisas ter

Hartford, CT

#9 Oct 10, 2007
How about fines for Fast Eddie? He knew what he was doing and avoided getting any permits. Anyone else would tried this would get fined.
Puerto Rican

United States

#10 Oct 10, 2007
You are a shame to your race.... Eddie you suck!!!! you knew what you were doing... you are not that stupid...or are you?
CollinsHell

Salem, OR

#11 Oct 10, 2007
The City of Hartford can fine the Mayor for doing the work without the proper permits - and they need to.

The Building Official needs to get off his or her duff and get a stop work on the place (if there is any additional work being done) and also levy fines and make sure that no other work will be done until the proper permits are pulled.

I seriously doubt that the AG's office will get involved as CT has bigger fish to fry...like studios that post fake reviews....soda companies that sell "diet" teas...you know, the REALLY important stuff.
watsupwitdat

United States

#13 Oct 10, 2007
Where is the ethics committee when you need them. Anyone else would have their building closed until proper inspections are completed and why isn;t he fined, he broke the law like everyone else. He must be punished. His property value should go up, fined for inappropriate behavior in a political office, he should be fined for property tax fraud and remanded for improper procedures. Basically, where is the ehtics committee. Hello Hartford, wake up, he is ripping us off. Address it, now. Where is the AG?
Who does major work and doesn't think of paying it for 2 years or gets permits, so he has enjoyed the whirlpool bath and hot tub for 2 years and never paid anything on it. Isn't that something for IRS to look into. What other secrets are lying around in Eddie's closet. Justice and equal opportunity are all in the constitution. ALL me are created equal. So what's good for the goose should be good for the gander. Treat him like you treat everyone else in Hartford. Once a crook, always a crook. Oh unless your eddie and friends. I would lose my house and job for the same offense. Is that right??? watsupwitdat
Pat

Granby, CT

#14 Oct 10, 2007
Brewster wrote:
Another example of a Mayor in a Connecticut city that has taken advantage of his position for his own personal betterment. Seems like a broken record. I'm a Big Shot....I can get away with anything I want. CLEAN UP POLITICIANS!
Then just look what the hispanic community does in the democratic primary. That is why Hartford will always suck. Too many minorities with very poor ethical standards who choose their candidates based on nothing but race. Just like in D.C. when the blacks reelected the crack smoking hoar patronizing Marion Barry. they could not care less about the real issues just the race of the candidate. How pathetic.
seen a bit

Sandy Hook, CT

#15 Oct 10, 2007
if eddie is given a pass on this one, how are the other corrupt politicians supposed to act? it's OPEN SEASON BABY!!! no doubt there is some fatigue, some sense this is just not worth pursuing, but if you don't follow it to the end, he will become brave, and how are the voters and taxpayers supposed to react? in a way this is a good test for the political conscience of the city of hartford - is there one?
Bill

Newington, CT

#16 Oct 10, 2007
Way to bag your friends "Big Ed".
Tripper

Murrieta, CA

#17 Oct 10, 2007
Puerto Rican wrote:
You are a shame to your race.... Eddie you suck!!!! you knew what you were doing... you are not that stupid...or are you?
He's a shame to himself. Why should a whole race of people suffer for his wrong doings? Let him wear his own hat.
rickbee

Hartford, CT

#18 Oct 10, 2007
Seems like a quick cheap pass to me too. One of several & probably more to come.
Pat

Granby, CT

#19 Oct 10, 2007
Tripper wrote:
<quoted text>He's a shame to himself. Why should a whole race of people suffer for his wrong doings? Let him wear his own hat.
Because he just won the democratic primary in a landslide thanks to hispanics who couldn't care less about his ethics - just his race.
One Voice

Overland Park, KS

#20 Oct 10, 2007
Blumenthal Overlooked wrote:
Blumenthal overlooked bring Rowland to trial on The Same Charges & MORE he plead guilty to in Federal Court. Connecticut could have fined him and attached part of his pension income.
Rowland admitted that he was wrong and did something illegal; he lost his job. Perez hasn't.
Joe

Manchester, UK

#21 Oct 10, 2007
As far as I knew, it was up to the owner of the property to make sure the permits are in place and if not apply for them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Plantsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
traffic Oct 17 Donna 1
Who do you support for Governor in Connecticut ... (Oct '10) Oct 16 East Sider 817
Dan Meyer & Andy Paradise Southington Drug Deal... (Jul '08) Oct 10 all you are bums 5
Petition to End Early Release From Prison Program Oct 9 2ndchancesCanwork 1
Waterbury one of the best places to raise a family (Jul '08) Oct 8 yanno3438 199
Cheshire Police Blotter: Aug. 19-24 (Aug '13) Oct 1 roas 6
Review: Ricci's Home Improvement Co May '14 Roxanne Wood 3
Plantsville Dating
Find my Match

Plantsville Jobs

Plantsville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Plantsville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Plantsville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]