Bill targeting pit bulls, other dogs advances in Fla. Senate

Mar 5, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: WBZL-TV Hollywood

Legislators found a sure way to rile up a crowd Thursday: go after pit bulls. The Florida Senate is advancing a controversial bill that could lead to tougher municipal laws on owners of pit bulls and other "dangerous" breeds, an idea that has prompted outraged dog lovers to e-mail and call their lawmakers in droves.

Comments
1 - 20 of 23 Comments Last updated Jan 22, 2011
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
CONCERNED MOTHER

Perry, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2010

Judged:

It is about time someone did something. There haqs been to many children & adults mamaed or killed. I hope people know that they will turn on you at any time. Please , people think about it. who needs an attack dog ?

Since: Dec 08

La Crosse, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2010

Judged:

I need a attack dog, I live in the country and its not these dogs. Its uneducated owners that don't take the responsibility of learning about a breed be for they purchase one. I have bulldogs for farm work and guard work. I don't give them the chance at anyone unless they climb over the fence then the dog is doing its job. Educate yourself be for you speak.
rubygoober

Ringgold, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2010

Judged:

shinet wrote:
I need a attack dog, I live in the country and its not these dogs. Its uneducated owners that don't take the responsibility of learning about a breed be for they purchase one. I have bulldogs for farm work and guard work. I don't give them the chance at anyone unless they climb over the fence then the dog is doing its job. Educate yourself be for you speak.
You're absolutely right. How many breeds are exploited simply because they become popular due to a movie or TV sitcom? The list is endless. Florida has been doing the, "what are we going to do about pitbulls" since the 80's.

“its all just my opinion anyway”

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2010

Judged:

I have a pitbull now that will knock you over and lick you to death. She has not a mean bone in her body. I would trust her fully with any new born baby. Although she might lick it too hard. I had another pit for 13 years before we had to put her down from old age. That pit was the best dog I ever had. PLEASE PLEASE do not listen to the idiots and media that pump up these stories. The one thing I have noticed about any dog that attacks is, it has been chained or somehow otherwise not properly conditoned and socialized. I got both my dogs from the pound, Brandy the 13 yr old was 4 months old and friendly and Twig the 2nd one I currently own is the manic licker. I hate to say she is not much of a watch dog as she is ecstatic at the sight of company.

So put that in you pipe and smoke it you PIT BULL HATERS-you dont have a clue what you are talking aout
Previous Pit owner

North Tonawanda, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2010

Judged:

I owned a pit bull for many years before I had to get rid of it because of a move. The new landlord would not allow pets. I also had 4 little children at the time. My pit was the most loving dog there was. Never harmed my kids or myself. Never went after another person. In my opinion the only Pits that are attacking are the ones that are BRED to attack and kill.
I really wish people would STOP blaming the dog and blame the person training and or raising the dog. Ant dog can do what the pit bull does if it is trained that way. So what were gonna go after all dogs? GIVE IT UP people its the owners doing it not the dogs!!!!!!!!!!
Zen

Perry, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2010

Judged:

We own a beautiful red nosed female... she was DUMPED off at my mothers home pregnant with her mate... She is amazing.. we have had her for over 2 years... never harmed a soul... sleeps in our bed and has the best temperament of any dog we've ever owned.. I SWEAR By her loyalty... yes she will BARK at anyone coming up the drive... but when we come out...and welcome the visitor she goes into licking mode... IT IS ALL IN HOW THEY ARE RAISED... A chihuahua type breed has had many more attacks on humans but aren't listed as dangerous because of the locking Jaw theory.... don't hate a breed hate the owner!
CONCERNED MOTHER wrote:
It is about time someone did something. There haqs been to many children & adults mamaed or killed. I hope people know that they will turn on you at any time. Please , people think about it. who needs an attack dog ?
lester

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2010

Judged:

People and children are killed in car wrecks all the time. Are you planning on banning them too. You people need something to do.
Tammy Bennett

Dodge City, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2010

Judged:

Pit Bulls have gotten a bad wrap.I agree with the fact that any animal could be a killer....all animals alike, However I also own a pit and he is truley loving, and sweet...Its like our children, it is how you raise them..some parents are raising potential killers in the making, yes killers...the prisons are full of them..children raising themselves and parents who are too lazy to instill a safe,drugfree,caring,and loving atmosphere for them...and unlike the pit,we will pay for them in a facility that has more rights on the inside than out.So lets worry about the important stuff first!As for the pit let him lay...As for our future(our kids)lets keep working hard at making them the best...Lets get our prioritys in line folks!I applaud all of you parents that still raise your children (old school) not scared of hard work...respectful to others...and with goals in life..and the ones who fear god first.As for Perry being a drug Town..Every small town has issues,and there are many good God fearing folks in my home town. I love Perry.
allen palmer

Elkins, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2010

Judged:

myself and family are just sick to death of this s--- about pit bulls. we have one and he has been in my family for 7 years. my wife two adut childern and four grandkids love this dog.and he dose goes and loves us back. yes he would protect us with his life,but would not bite a flea. these people just look and listen to all the bad about these dogs.PEOPLE lean more about this breed befor you destroy there fate.it's how there raised and treated and loved.i have seen bader poodles that bite and you would'nt even try and touch.i also had a rottie for 14 year and people think the same way about that breed.it hurt so bad when he died.PEOPLE!! WAKE UP IT'S NOT THE DOG IT'S THE ONES THAT RAISE THEM BADLY.please give them life not the bad rap they got from dumm people.anyone out there that has a pit or rottie e-mail everyone about this. HELP!!! SAVE THEM!!!NOT KILL THEM!!
THANKS, ALLEN- shrimper06@msn.com
GOD BLESS
allen palmer

Elkins, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2010

Judged:

wake up and learn about these dogs not what you here or what others say. yes if that dog has been fighting or mistreated then you should'nt get that one unless you are a expert with these breeds.but you should know that any BIG dog can hurt or even kill if it,s been raised wrong. GET A PIT PUPPIE and give it love and it will love you back not hurt you!!! like i said i have seen meaner poddles.
GOD BLESS and please don't give these dog a bad rap untill you have had one,
allen
Joey Allen Palmer

Vero Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2010

Judged:

Anyone who thinks Bull Terriers (AKA Pit bulls)are just mean killing dogs well your jacked up in the head.I have had the pleasure of owning 4 so far, and one of them would choose to sleep with my neice and nephew and follow them around and even let them play ruff with him and he would sit there and love everysecond, biggest loving babie, and I have one that is just goofy, he listens well he would if given the chance lick you all day, I grew up with several large breed dogs and everyone of them is on a senate bills waiting to be looked at, it says they are all to dangerous.... If you raise a kid without love and not teach them right from wrong there gonna turn out bad, same goes for Bull Terriers if you love them and train them right your gonna have a loving dog. The blame shouldnt be on them its the idiots that raised them or to the better fact didnt raise them, on another note small lap dogs bite and attack more, but since there a icon for older people and rich stuck up people they dont get attacked in the news pappers or t.v. or on senate bills but as soon as some idiot mistreats his pitt bull and it does something its on every channel. If your smart enough to have a opinion about the bill then you need to use your smarts and research alittle. Use your head for once....
herpagonasiphill chlamaids

Perry, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2010

Judged:

Morons abound... Try enforcing some of the laws already on the books, LIKE IMMIGRATION!! KICK THEM OUT!

Come for my dog, I don't care what color uniform you have on, I will put a .50 BMG right through your skull.

Since: Sep 10

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2010

Judged:

One of my best friends has a pit bull and she and her boys love it so much - as it loves them. They gave me a puppy once, and I adored her, but I realized she was going to get too big and strong for me to manage - these dogs must be well trained by someone who knows what they are doing. That's not me. I'm a little afraid of any big dog myself - I think they should all be leashed if they are outside.
Jersey Jeff

Palmetto, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 28, 2010

Judged:

Pit bulls and rotweilers scare the crap out of me. BUT if you keep it on a leash and on your property (basically away from my family) then that is your prerogative. And um, don't worry you won't have to put a bullet in someones skull. WTF kinda comment is that? You should be put down before your dog.
nikia

Ellabell, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2010

Judged:

people are so small minded. come on already. i have 2, momma dog 6 yrs and her son 4yrs. i had a cocker spaniel for a few months, she was 7 months old when i got her from a previous home and was so agressive i had to find her a new home whereas my bullies are so sweet and loving. anytime my kids (son 5 and daughter 3) make a sound they are right there with them, making sure they are ok. i would have no other breed than a bully. i have dog play dates with a neighbor that has a dobie, boxer, and boxer-pit mix, they get so excited when playing, and never fight or get aggressive with each other.(small note on neighbor dogs- they were all 3 rescues from abuse or neglect), also they love my kids too. so folks get real, educate yourself about these "dangerous breed" dont let tv do it for you!
mimi

Lenoir, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2010

Judged:

The dog with the highest reported incidences of biting is NOT a Pitbull; its a Cocker Spaniel.(these were statistics from 2006)
But just like any of the losers in this world who kill and maim others, ANY dog can do it.
"SNAP"
To rid the world of Pitbulls under this argumant, it'd only be fair to also demolish the breeds of the Rottweiler, Husky, Dalmation, Pekingese, Chow, German Shepard, Chihuahua, etc.
In 2006, the top 2 listed dogs reported for the most bites were Cockers and Pekingese.

Fair is fair. Just buy a Boston Terrier! ;)
mimi

Lenoir, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2010

Judged:

Children are the most frequent targets

Studies of dog bite injuries have reported that:
■The median age of patients bitten was 15 years, with children, especially boys aged 5 to 9 years, having the highest incidence rate
■The odds that a bite victim will be a child are 3.2 to 1.(CDC.)
■Children seen in emergency departments were more likely than older persons to be bitten on the face, neck, and head. 77% of injuries to children under 10 years old are facial.
■Severe injuries occur almost exclusively in children less than 10 years of age.
■The majority of dog attacks (61%) happen at home or in a familiar place.
■The vast majority of biting dogs (77%) belong to the victim's family or a friend.
■When a child less than 4 years old is the victim, the family dog was the attacker half the time (47%), and the attack almost always happened in the family home (90%).

ALL breeds have been included in the above studies.
mimi

Lenoir, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2010

Sorry for those crazy numbers, they appeared as boxes in the text area. Below is same post, easier to read.

**The median age of patients bitten was 15 years, with children, especially boys aged 5 to 9 years, having the highest incidence rate
**The odds that a bite victim will be a child are 3.2 to 1.(CDC.)
**Children seen in emergency departments were more likely than older persons to be bitten on the face, neck, and head. 77% of injuries to children under 10 years old are facial.
**Severe injuries occur almost exclusively in children less than 10 years of age.
**The majority of dog attacks (61%) happen at home or in a familiar place.
**The vast majority of biting dogs (77%) belong to the victim's family or a friend.
**When a child less than 4 years old is the victim, the family dog was the attacker half the time (47%), and the attack almost always happened in the family home (90%).

“its all just my opinion anyway”

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2010

Judged:

mimi wrote:
Sorry for those crazy numbers, they appeared as boxes in the text area. Below is same post, easier to read.
**The median age of patients bitten was 15 years, with children, especially boys aged 5 to 9 years, having the highest incidence rate
**The odds that a bite victim will be a child are 3.2 to 1.(CDC.)
**Children seen in emergency departments were more likely than older persons to be bitten on the face, neck, and head. 77% of injuries to children under 10 years old are facial.
**Severe injuries occur almost exclusively in children less than 10 years of age.
**The majority of dog attacks (61%) happen at home or in a familiar place.
**The vast majority of biting dogs (77%) belong to the victim's family or a friend.
**When a child less than 4 years old is the victim, the family dog was the attacker half the time (47%), and the attack almost always happened in the family home (90%).
That would make sense due to the fact kids play with dogs ! More children hang out with their family dogs than do adults.
allen palmer

Elkins, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2010

come on people, theres got to be more pit lovers that will comment on this.don't lose our dogs because you won't write to nelson. GOD BLESS

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
Plantation Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Plantation Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••