Derry woman gets 10-20 for fatal crash

Derry woman gets 10-20 for fatal crash

There are 27 comments on the UnionLeader.com story from Jun 1, 2007, titled Derry woman gets 10-20 for fatal crash. In it, UnionLeader.com reports that:

“I think that's the only way I'll be able to make amends for what I've done, and I'd like the opportunity to be able to do that.”

Rockingham County Superior Court Judge Tina Nadeau sentenced Janice Upton, 43, of Derry, to 10 to 20 years in state prison for manslaughter, second-degree assault for injuring the occupants of another car she ... via UnionLeader.com

Join the discussion below, or Read more at UnionLeader.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
sal

AOL

#1 Jun 5, 2007
what is done is done
steve-0

United States

#2 Jun 5, 2007
I think the sentence is too light. She could be out in just under 10 years? Weak.

asa

Since: Dec 06

NH / Austin TX

#3 Jun 5, 2007
So how many years should it be?
roger

AOL

#4 Jun 6, 2007
well it should be fair each case is different i will read on
rogerl

AOL

#5 Jun 11, 2007
what do u think is fair i agree with what has happened
Sandown Resident

Salem, NH

#6 Jun 24, 2007
I was there that day and witnessed the chase from Sandown and within a minute or so came upon the crash in Hampstead. Had my timing been a little different, I could have been the one killed. I will never forget that day as long as I live.

I think about the family of the gentleman that was killed all the time. I hope that they are doing okay after such a tragic loss.

asa

NH / Austin TX

#7 Jun 26, 2007
We need to do this up here.....

Attention Virginians: The cost of bad driving is about to go up. Way up.

Say you are driving 78 mph on the Capital Beltway and a state trooper tickets you for "reckless driving -- speeding 20 mph over." You will probably be fined $200 by the judge. But then you will receive a new, additional $1,050 fine from the Old Dominion, payable in three convenient installments. So convenient that you must pay the first one immediately, at the courthouse.

First-time drunk driver? A $300 fine from the judge and a $2,250 fee from the commonwealth.

Driving without a license? Maybe a $75 fine. Definitely a $900 fee from Virginia.

As part of the plan to fund the annual $1 billion transportation package approved this year, state legislators endorsed a new set of "civil remedial fees" for all misdemeanor and felony traffic violations, such as speeding 20 mph above the limit, reckless driving and, in some cases, driving with faulty brakes. Drivers with points on their licenses -- a speeding ticket usually earns four points -- will be hit for $75 for every point above eight and $100 for having that many points in the first place.

The new fees will go into effect July 1, and defense attorneys, prosecutors and judges expect chaos. Court clerks fear having to deal with angry hordes learning about the fees for the first time at the payment window.

"I think that we will be overwhelmed," said Nancy L. Lake, clerk of the Fairfax County General District Court, which includes the busiest traffic court in the state. "We feel we're going to take a lot of flack."

asa

NH / Austin TX

#8 Jun 26, 2007
Oh and if it ends up to be a repeat offender, consider impounding the car and selling or crushing it.
someone

Derry, NH

#9 Sep 2, 2008
she made a mistake.
Joyce

Raymond, NH

#10 Sep 4, 2008
Her "mistake" KILLED some one. I saw the aftermath of that accident too that day. I pulled over and cried it was that bad! I am 46 and can not imagine making a "mistake" like that. Shame on you! Mistake? Far from a mistake!
Sister

Windham, NH

#11 Sep 19, 2008
Two years later. Our family is doing OK. It will never be the same. Today would have been his wedding anniversary. 44 Years.
She got what she deserved.
Ellie

Essex Junction, VT

#12 Sep 30, 2008
I personally knwo the family and its not only your family that has suffered .. she had four young girls and though it was her mistake they are suffering without their mother jsut as much as you are
Joyce

Raymond, NH

#13 Oct 1, 2008
She should have thought about that before she decided to drive drunk and kill someone! Yes - people feel sorry for those kids, as do I, and I'm sure their life is just awful now, but that woman had a choice - and she didn't choose her kids. People need to own up to what they do! And -those kids can see her mom again! The wife of the man that was killed will never get to see him again, nor will his kids or grandkids for that matter - who got the better deal?
Ellie

Essex Junction, VT

#14 Oct 1, 2008
i undaerstand completely. it was totally her fault and her choice .. i grew up very close to janice and i dont understand what happend she was once sucha a good mother, never would have though about drugs. i jsut hope the girls dont take that road as they hear about it over and over again.
Sister

Windham, NH

#15 Oct 17, 2008
I try not to even think about her anymore. Or at least I didn't until someone told me about this blog. I was reminded again when I saw the channel nine news report on her family and how there was an underage drinking party that was raided at their house. Will history repeat itself? I honestly hope not. I would not want anyone else to experience the loss we have.
observer

Hampton, NH

#16 Nov 7, 2008
i wonder if the driver is the only one who should be held responsible. I mean, no doubt she was at fault and should be punished. but a person that drunk is TOO drunk to know what they are doing-to realize that they should not get behind that wheel because thier judgement is impared. Someone, whoever "let" her drive drunk, should be help responsible to a degree as well. When you see a freind, or customer, or whatever the situation was, is that drunk, you should help them by not letting them make a choice that could be so fatal. a drunk is incapable of making that choice. they aren't thinking straight. their judgement is way off.
the loon

Palmer, MA

#17 Nov 16, 2008
Observer you are a first class moron. There is no one else to blame but the person making that decision. You think that just because that lady was SO HAMMERED that she couldn't make a responsible decision that the blame should fall on someone else?

As is I am obliged to be someone's guardian babysitter by law? Stupid. One person is responsible for that crime and it is the drunk driver. Not to mention that at her age she should know better.

She got a fair sentence, ten or twenty years is a long long time.
observer

Hampton, NH

#18 Nov 21, 2008
i would much rather be a moron that an ass. i hope some day you or someone you love will get hit by a drunk driver.
then maybe you will understand that someone should have stepped in.
observer

Hampton, NH

#19 Nov 21, 2008
funny how if i sell drugs to someone and they die, i am held responsible. even could go to jail for murder. double standards, i guess. but in this great country, you really can't expect justice.... justice is a joke in america.
lori

AOL

#20 Feb 28, 2009
If it makes u feel any better she also thinks of the family everyday a tragity for everyone involved

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Plaistow Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News State suspends 200-plus EMTs in certification s... (Jun '10) Jun '17 Scratch 178
Wanda Cote (Aug '13) May '17 Kim 15
Hallmark Job Opportunity in Plaistow May '17 VictorOrians 1
News Two arrested for smoking pot in car (Nov '10) Dec '16 shot to death 5
News Trump, Clinton in all-out battle for New Hampshire (Nov '16) Nov '16 TRUMP YES 3
Rob Waters Megastore (Feb '10) Jul '16 Renee 11
Review: USA 1 Motors (Jan '15) Jan '15 needtoshuthimdown 1

Plaistow Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Plaistow Mortgages