Flight Attendant Firing Lawsuit Settled

Flight Attendant Firing Lawsuit Settled

There are 11 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jan 17, 2008, titled Flight Attendant Firing Lawsuit Settled. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

A former United Airlines flight attendant has settled a lawsuit claiming she was wrongfully fired after she was unable to work following the deaths of close friends and colleagues killed on a hijacked jet in ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

typical

Pleasanton, CA

#1 Jan 17, 2008
This is ridiculous. I am sorry that she had to go through this and that she lost her friends and colleagues but how far does a company need to go???? They gave her the furlough to deal with it. At some point people need to realize that job is a priviledge not an inalienable right.
Steve H

Chicago, IL

#2 Jan 17, 2008
Do not know the details, but if she was truly close with one of the lost crews or perhaps was even suppose to be on one of the planes, PTSD could have been a real possibility. Again, do not have the details, but if that was her diagnosis, a medical disability instead of a furlough would have been appropriate. She apparently was being treated for PTSD when let go, so if this is true United handled this poorly as evidenced by the subsequent settlement today.
Dienne

Chicago, IL

#4 Jan 17, 2008
Steve H wrote:
Do not know the details, but if she was truly close with one of the lost crews or perhaps was even suppose to be on one of the planes, PTSD could have been a real possibility. Again, do not have the details, but if that was her diagnosis, a medical disability instead of a furlough would have been appropriate. She apparently was being treated for PTSD when let go, so if this is true United handled this poorly as evidenced by the subsequent settlement today.
She was given a furlough, but was fired when she was unable to return in 2005. Now, maybe my math is off, but by my calculations, that's about four years after the attacks. Whether or not she actually had PTSD is irrelevant (and I imagine she probably did have it). But how long is a company supposed to wait for you if you have a disability that prevents you from working? FMLA says they have to give you 12 weeks. United gave her a lot more than that. At some point, long-term or permanent disability has to kick in and the company is off the hook.
NONSENSE

Los Angeles, CA

#6 Jan 17, 2008
What a load of crap. Life is stressful: deal with ot or kill yourself. PTSD is just an excuse to get a check for doing nothing. How many pilots had to take four years off?
Tommy

Springfield, IL

#7 Jan 17, 2008
Here's an idea for United. Hire monkeys to pass out the nuts because what do these people actually do now that they don't serve food and have cut everything due to gas prices.

Since: Aug 07

Evanston

#8 Jan 17, 2008
Four years?! This woman wouldn't return after over 3 years of counseling. Of course they fired her. 3+ years to get it together was very generous and she should be ashamed of herself for even filing this suit and the cowards at UAL should be ashamed for settling.
Steve H

Chicago, IL

#9 Jan 17, 2008
If the PTSD was work related, then the employer is liable for any disability, just as if she lost an arm or a leg. You may disagree, but psychiatric disabilities can be just as disabling as the loss of a limb ... and apparently the attorneys for United agreed or they would not have settled with her.
Pete

Chicago, IL

#10 Jan 17, 2008
I never thought I'd side with United on anything, but how much longer were they supposed to give her? I think they did the right thing here and she is just digging for gold.
Jessica

Chicago, IL

#11 Jan 17, 2008
Tommy, they save your ignorant hide when the plane crashes.
Fancy City Folk

Palatine, IL

#12 Jan 17, 2008
United may have just settled because several years pay for a flight attendant (whose pay, IIRC, tops out well under $40K)was markedly cheaper than the legal bills.
Bleah

Hicksville, NY

#13 Jan 18, 2008
Jessica wrote:
Tommy, they save your ignorant hide when the plane crashes.
really? didn't work out too well on 9-11, did it?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Plaistow Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Wanda Cote (Aug '13) Aug 20 Christine 9
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in New Hampsh... (Oct '10) Jul '15 Grunt56 31
News Two arrested for smoking pot in car (Nov '10) Jun '15 QueenB 4
As a LifeShare Home Provider; enhancing life fo... Apr '15 kurman 1
News N.H. Mom Charged In Deadly Police Chase (Aug '06) Mar '15 Apg143 254
Review: USA 1 Motors (Jan '15) Jan '15 needtoshuthimdown 1
badwolf @ the racks tavern rt 125 (Aug '14) Aug '14 Anonymous 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Plaistow Mortgages