Woman drowns retrieving dog from froz...

Woman drowns retrieving dog from frozen pond

There are 142 comments on the Asheville Citizen-Times story from Jan 4, 2009, titled Woman drowns retrieving dog from frozen pond. In it, Asheville Citizen-Times reports that:

PLAINSBORO, N.J. New Jersey authorities say a woman drowned trying to retrieve her grandson's dog from a frozen pond.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Asheville Citizen-Times.

First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Sgt Rock

Since: Jun 07

Johnson City, TN

#1 Jan 4, 2009
A very heroic thing this lady did. So sad that she lost her life.
Kweshunater

United States

#2 Jan 4, 2009
How sad. Bless her soul and her loved ones.

“Conservative for America”

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#3 Jan 4, 2009
Heroic? A dog has a natural fur coat and German Shepherds have an under coat. The smart thing would have been to let go of the leash and get the hell out of the water. She could always tell her grandchild, because she would be alive, that the dog could get himself out or they would get the child another dog. Now this "hero" as you called her Sgt. Rock has deprived her grand child of a loving grandmother for the rest of his life. You tell me, I know your old, which would matter more to you, an animal that loves you because you feed it or a grandmother who loves you unconditionally and is an intrigal part of your formative years?

I like most of your posts but although it is sad and tragic that she lost her life. It was, in my opinion for no good or noble reason.
holy cow

AOL

#4 Jan 4, 2009
Oh what a shame. Her grandson wil always know that he had a hero for a grandmother.
rickm

Maxton, NC

#5 Jan 4, 2009
yona has spoken, you can close the thread now.

Since: Oct 08

Asheville

#6 Jan 4, 2009
rickm wrote:
yona has spoken, you can close the thread now.
Lol. That made me spit coffee.
Laura

Greenville, SC

#7 Jan 4, 2009
Yona, don't forget that hindsight is 20/20. What appears to be obvious to us after the fact, may not have been as clear at the moment.

Since: Nov 07

United States

#8 Jan 4, 2009
Very sad that the lady lost her life and kudos too the person that tried to help! I would have attemted to save any one of my four legged friends also. They give you unconditional love and it should be reciprocated!
It Is Like This

Sylva, NC

#9 Jan 4, 2009
What people will do for their loved ones. An animal is as special to us as people are. God Bless her.
reader

Arden, NC

#10 Jan 4, 2009
yona wrote:
Heroic? A dog has a natural fur coat and German Shepherds have an under coat. The smart thing would have been to let go of the leash and get the hell out of the water. She could always tell her grandchild, because she would be alive, that the dog could get himself out or they would get the child another dog. Now this "hero" as you called her Sgt. Rock has deprived her grand child of a loving grandmother for the rest of his life. You tell me, I know your old, which would matter more to you, an animal that loves you because you feed it or a grandmother who loves you unconditionally and is an intrigal part of your formative years?
I like most of your posts but although it is sad and tragic that she lost her life. It was, in my opinion for no good or noble reason.
You are a heartless jerk with no compassion and you should be ashamed of yourself. How dare you pass judgement on someone.

Location hidden

#11 Jan 4, 2009
reader wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a heartless jerk with no compassion and you should be ashamed of yourself. How dare you pass judgement on someone.
I pass because I can and because I am correct.

Moving on did anyone else notice that the story supposes that she was trying to save the dog and drowned. Aside from a truely heroic boy that tried to save her and ended up having to go for help, there were no other witnesses. For all we know she made no attempt to save a dog that was perfectly capable of saving himself. Instead she may have been a 61 year old frail woman with thin skin and little body fat, who simply was unable to overcome her flagging strength to save herself.

As for the person that posted right below me. Yeah having a dog and knowing his grandmother died is really going to be solace to him when he is missing the love and attention caring grandmothers lavish on their grandchildren.

For the Yona has spoke. What fun would it be if you all just accepted that I am always right. It's more fun to see your responses and then correct them. LOL
reader

Arden, NC

#12 Jan 4, 2009
yona wrote:
<quoted text>
I pass because I can and because I am correct.
Moving on did anyone else notice that the story supposes that she was trying to save the dog and drowned. Aside from a truely heroic boy that tried to save her and ended up having to go for help, there were no other witnesses. For all we know she made no attempt to save a dog that was perfectly capable of saving himself. Instead she may have been a 61 year old frail woman with thin skin and little body fat, who simply was unable to overcome her flagging strength to save herself.
As for the person that posted right below me. Yeah having a dog and knowing his grandmother died is really going to be solace to him when he is missing the love and attention caring grandmothers lavish on their grandchildren.
For the Yona has spoke. What fun would it be if you all just accepted that I am always right. It's more fun to see your responses and then correct them. LOL
Good gosh, you're a worse person than I thought.
Observation

Boiling Springs, SC

#13 Jan 4, 2009
reader wrote:
<quoted text>

Dog meat is pretty good, if you cook it right

Keith former Gun-bunny

United States

#14 Jan 4, 2009
Seems like this dear woman made the statement that dog's best friend is human females. May she rest in peace. Hope the dog overcomes the grief he/she must be going through.
reader

Arden, NC

#15 Jan 5, 2009
Keith former Gun-bunny wrote:
Seems like this dear woman made the statement that dog's best friend is human females. May she rest in peace. Hope the dog overcomes the grief he/she must be going through.
Well said! Good thing the poor dog cannot read Yona's posts. Yona is a miserable, judgemental person.
Cold Dog

Greer, SC

#16 Jan 5, 2009
If there were only a place, some type of shelter, where people could go to get another grandmother.

She's no hero. A hero gets other people killed.

Location hidden

#17 Jan 5, 2009
reader wrote:
<quoted text>
Well said! Good thing the poor dog cannot read Yona's posts. Yona is a miserable, judgemental person.
Now it all makes since. You are one of those animal activist that think animals deserve more rights to live then humans and if all humans were wiped out, it would be a good thing for your beloved animals. I said nothing hurtful or rude in either post. The grandmother should have tried to save herself rather than hindering a dog which had more self preservation sense then she did. The dog lived after all. Again I submit that she might not have wasted time trying to save the dog since that seems to be all in the imagination of the writer. FACT she was 61 years old and due to thinning skin and being more susceptible to cold she probably had neither time nor strength to save herself.

Reader you are obviously a troll and coward for posting unregistered and in one liners that risk nothing on your part while you take shots at adults engaged in mature discourse.
dog

Maxton, NC

#18 Jan 5, 2009
reader wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean like your doing now. hypocrite.
dog

Maxton, NC

#19 Jan 5, 2009
reader wrote:
<quoted text>
Let us not judge
crazy horse

Maxton, NC

#20 Jan 5, 2009
yona wrote:
<quoted text>
Now it all makes since. You are one of those animal activist that think animals deserve more rights to live then humans and if all humans were wiped out, it would be a good thing for your beloved animals. I said nothing hurtful or rude in either post. The grandmother should have tried to save herself rather than hindering a dog which had more self preservation sense then she did. The dog lived after all. Again I submit that she might not have wasted time trying to save the dog since that seems to be all in the imagination of the writer. FACT she was 61 years old and due to thinning skin and being more susceptible to cold she probably had neither time nor strength to save herself.
Reader you are obviously a troll and coward for posting unregistered and in one liners that risk nothing on your part while you take shots at adults engaged in mature discourse.
Well said. How far gone are we in society when we place a dogs life over a human life. Seems like common sense has gone out the window. I'd really hate to see Rover go down but if it comes to me or him that would be one dead dog. Now if she had jumped in to save her grandchild she would have been a real hero otherwise this is just a tragic loss of life.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Plainsboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Edwin Bodine - Semper Fi Mar 23 MellaloomaWart 6
News N.J. Man Convicted Of Sexually Assaulting 3 Girls (Jun '08) Jan '18 The Truth 88 157
Princeton North Music Thread (Mar '17) Jan '18 Musikologist 4
News New Jersey to bid farewell to former governor B... Jan '18 Bye Now 1
Were you a child psych student or intern in the... (Oct '15) Nov '17 wideyesbigforehead 4
Looking for birth mom (Apr '17) Oct '17 Family 3
News Church vs. state: More than a battle of Christm... (Nov '16) Aug '17 samt 5

Plainsboro Jobs

Personal Finance

Plainsboro Mortgages