Does the Gazette Suck or What?

Posted in the Plain City Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Laffing

Phoenix, AZ

#1 Aug 24, 2011
It's odd that the gazette targeted Hanks and Thompson while Yost got a pass.

Also Antonoplos and hubby have damn near a half a million dollars in federal 1040 tax liens, other liens and judgments and not one word about it in the gazette

Now the Brenners have ripped off their employees and the IRS for more than $42,000 in 2010 and 2011 while the Brenners "self-financed" a couple of political campaigns, again not one word about it in the gazette.
Ralph

Columbus, OH

#2 Aug 25, 2011
maybe you should lay off the conspiracy theories and realize that they only seem to have 3 reporters. they can't cover everything... especially not when there are rubber ducky races and cute little kids that need to be photographed
Pat

Delaware, OH

#3 Aug 25, 2011
Ralph wrote:
maybe you should lay off the conspiracy theories and realize that they only seem to have 3 reporters. they can't cover everything... especially not when there are rubber ducky races and cute little kids that need to be photographed
Oh Ralphy, you simple protective old coot. You know that just isn't true.
Disappointed Big Time

Delaware, OH

#4 Aug 25, 2011
The Gazette's Fall Football Sports Preview was awful..... No pictures, no nothing. They used to do a decent job with it have a senior rep. From each Delaware Co. Team sporting their school's color's

Team & Player Bio's, our kid's work their tails off for their teams, and athlete's and want the community they in to support and be proud of them. Sad, Sad.
Reasons Why

Powell, OH

#5 Aug 25, 2011
When we buy a local paper we should expect;
1. A well written newspaper.
2. Professional journalism
3. Fair and balanced

With the Gazette we get;
1. Horribly written stories and headlines
2. Junior high level journalism
3. If it is controversial or involves the Republicans they do not touch it because the last editor got run out of town for that.
4. A horrible attempt at being the Dispatch.(If I want the Dispatch I will buy the Dispatch)

The top reasons to have a local newspaper are;
1. Local News
2. Local Sports
3. Local Politics
4. Local Special Interest Stories

The Gazette covers none of these.

We get great wire copy on State News and the Buckeyes. Too bad it is normally two or three days old.

No quality local sports coverage of high school or college.

But the first question you are asked by the Gazette is if you can supply some advertising dollars for a newspaper dwindling in circulation numbers and providing a rapidly declining product each and every day.

I think I will take my free copy of the Suburban News.
Jan

Athens, OH

#6 Aug 25, 2011
Saw the Sports insert -- Could not tell if Delaware Hayes played at Buckeye Valley or BV at Hayes..Insert listed game both ways. Hope they correct by Fridays paper.
Tobias gets scooped

Delaware, OH

#7 Aug 25, 2011
It is a shame Andrew Toby sat on the Brenner story and got scooped by the Dispatch. Next time we will write it for you as well instead of simply pointing you to all the links on the Recorders website which make the story.
Tobias news

Columbus, OH

#8 Aug 26, 2011
Are you kidding. Any to Bias gets scooped on more stroies than Jimmy Olsen. At least Olsen was listed as a "cub reporter" mabye Andy can hope to be promoted to that someday.

He has blown so many stories dating clear back to the chamber fiasco....what was the outcome of all that? Hell he doesn't know. He just kept bringing it up because it didn't involve one of the Republican string holders of the Gazette.

Andy, check out one of the high school newspapers, maybe you can get them to hire you to fetch coffee for them.

Disagree?? grow a set and report without fear. What did happen with the Chamber....nothing? Afraid to say you were chasing an innocent person while letting guilty ones go unscathed? I guess it's your concious that keeps you up at night. You won't get any sleep until you commit one way or the other.
Not In The Gazette

Lehi, UT

#9 Aug 27, 2011
The Republican party in Delaware manages to keep the truth about its elected office holders out of the Gazette. Here's one they've kept since 2008.

Gotta love the Antonoplos couple blaming an ex-governor and also Mr. Antonoplos' "elderly mother" for their financial recklessness.

Do the Brenners and the Antonopolos' hang together or do they learn tax cheating in some secret Delaware County Republican elected official indoctrination scheme?

Wonder if the Brenners and Antonoplos' are gonna take the "How-to-get-a-gun-get-dru nk-and-do-wife-beating-blame-i t-on-law-enforcement" seminar hosted by the Jordans at the next Delaware Republican affair?

Let's watch the Antonoplos blame the tax collector for them not paying; betcha that's what the Brenners will do too; blame their employees and the IRS for Andy and SaraMarie ripping off the employees and the IRS.

They all believe that the public must be dumber than the GOP wifeys. There's gotta be a signature of Mrs. A on that tax return that got the big lien against her too and all the notices and collection efforts the IRS made prior to filing the lien were sent to both of them.

She's on their because she too was a delinquent taxpayer for damn near a third of a million dollars, period.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local...

Politician’s husband paying off tax liens
By Allison Manning

The Columbus Dispatch Saturday August 27, 2011 5:31 AM

A Republican lobbyist and his wife, the Delaware County clerk of courts, have a $304,000 federal tax lien against their Dublin home, along with a joint judgment seeking nearly $35,000 in unpaid state income taxes.

Documents on file with the Delaware County recorder’s office show a $304,000 lien filed in 2008 on William and Jan Antonoplos’ Muirfield home for tax years 2004, 2005 and 2006. Two other liens are just in Mr. Antonoplos’ name: a $47,000 lien filed in November for tax years 2007 and 2008, and a $35,700 lien filed in December for tax year 2009.

Mr. Antonoplos said the debts have nothing to do with his wife, even though she is named in the records.“The liens are because of me,” Mr. Antonoplos said.

The couple also face a judgment entry filed against them in November in Franklin County Common Pleas Court. The state is seeking the unpaid personal income taxes. It’s also seeking $16,000 from Mr. Antonoplos in two separate cases filed in January and July of this year.

Mrs. Antonoplos did not return messages seeking comment left this week at her office. Mr. Antonoplos said he is paying down the debts. He added that his taxes are current this year. Mr. Antonoplos said his wife is listed on the liens only because their home is in both their names.

“Everything that is owed, I can assure you, with my wife’s name on it or my name on it, I’m paying on, period,” he said.

Liens are public record, but current payoff figures and collection status are not. In a letter, Mrs. Antonoplos’ attorney, Alvaro Velez, said Mrs. Antonoplos filed an appeal with the IRS and had a hearing in 2009.

According to Velez, the IRS agreed that the taxes assessed her for 2005 and 2006 were incorrect, but the IRS has not yet ruled on her 2004 tax issues. Velez did not say in the letter what the correct tax amount was.

The IRS accepted Mrs. Antonoplos’ tax returns as filed for 2007 through 2010, he wrote.

Mr. Antonoplos said the reason for the debts is a private matter, but he said that his lobbying business suffered while a Democratic governor was in office. He also mentioned his elderly mother and the general slowdown in the economy.

Mrs. Antonoplos listed her husband’s company, Capitol Square Consulting, as a source of income greater than $500 on her financial-disclosure forms for 2005-07. In 2005, she performed secretarial duties, while in 2006 and 2007, she was a board member. She did not list any income from Capitol Square Consulting in 2008, 2009 or 2010.

[email protected]
Dung

Pickerington, OH

#10 Aug 27, 2011
WTF? And she's the Clerk of Courts?????
WTF - peterson
WTF- A Brenner
WTF - S Brenner
WTF - M Jordan
WTF - K Jordan

WTF - These people direct the Delaware County GOP???

So much to be ashamed of - for our entire county. We are a laughing stock thanks to these nincompoops. What a terrible embarassment. Accountability at the polls if not before. NONE of these people deserves a dime of tax money.
Agree

Westerville, OH

#11 Aug 28, 2011
Gazette does at least seem to play favorites on what is reported.
Hoppy1234

Chicago, IL

#12 Aug 29, 2011
I wouldn't know, I gave up my Gazette subscription soon after it sold. Nothing of value in it.
Nobody

Westerville, OH

#13 Aug 29, 2011
Nobody even reads the gazette
Rumor or fact

Columbus, OH

#14 Nov 19, 2011
Nobody wrote:
Nobody even reads the gazette
Is it true Andrew Tobias is leaving the Gazette to go to the Cincinnati Enquirer?
County What

Delaware, OH

#15 Nov 20, 2011
Rumor or fact wrote:
<quoted text>
Is it true Andrew Tobias is leaving the Gazette to go to the Cincinnati Enquirer?
He is going to Dayton Daily News.
Stupid Is As Stupid Does

Germany

#16 Nov 20, 2011
Rumor or fact wrote:
<quoted text>

He is going to Dayton Daily News.

Oh goody, Yost can get his journalistic BJs in Dayton soon.
Sickened Employee

Delaware, OH

#17 Mar 14, 2013
Why won't the Gazette report on how the Delaware County Auditor ran out an award winning GIS Director? Shoreh Elhami, abruptly quit her job she has held for 7 different auditors? She seemd good enough for them, why not George Kaitsa? This story should be investigated deeply as it is a shame we lost one of the most valued employees this county has ever seen.
GOP Rag

Delaware, OH

#19 Mar 18, 2013
Sickened Employee wrote:
Why won't the Gazette report on how the Delaware County Auditor ran out an award winning GIS Director? Shoreh Elhami, abruptly quit her job she has held for 7 different auditors? She seemd good enough for them, why not George Kaitsa? This story should be investigated deeply as it is a shame we lost one of the most valued employees this county has ever seen.
I rest my case as I have not read (and we never will) one story about this injustice.
Gazette Supporter

Delaware, OH

#20 Mar 19, 2013
I totally disagree with all that is written. I have subscribed to the Gazette for nearly two decades and know they only print what is relevant and truthful. Not the lies and half-truths reported by others.
Its hard to sense

Delaware, OH

#21 Mar 19, 2013
sarcasm in text, but for the love of God I hope you're not serious. The Delaware Gazette is the newspaper equivalent of Milli Vanilli: Talentless charlatans who convince small portions of the community that they're really reporting the whole story.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Plain City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Needham named library director 13 hr Libby 1
News Dive team wants to raise dam in effort to find ... Sun jesse 7
News Man says he petted zoo cougars after calling 'H... Jul 31 Spotted Girl 19
News a Dublin hires veteran Columbus official as pla... Jul 25 They cannot kill ... 2
Wheres Kristen Campbell Jul 24 usedtoknowher 1
delco spendaholics Jul 22 All About The Ta... 2
New patent-free MRSA treatment method and petit... Jul 20 Matthew McPherson 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Plain City Mortgages