Man indicted in artifact theft probe found dead

Full story: KOB.com Eyewitness News 4 - New Mexico

Authorities say a Blanding physician indicted in a federal investigation into the theft of ancient artifacts in the Four Corners region has been found dead.
Comments
1 - 20 of 34 Comments Last updated Jul 19, 2013
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Ret-Cop

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2009

Judged:

I hope he didn't kill himself over this non-crime.
Picking up ancient trash shouldn't be a crime in the first place.

“Kees Mee, I's Ireesh”

Since: Jun 09

Ol' Juarez

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2009

Judged:

Ret-Cop wrote:
I have never encountered anyone as disrespectful as you. If you know nothing about NM history then please do not speak a word. Every culture here has a rich history, these Indian artifacts belong to them, it is part of their history and culture. How would you like it if someone stole from you?
Lee

Running Springs, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2009

Judged:

Ancient trash or not, it's my opinion that trained archeologists should be the ones to make that determination not Utah doctors unless they, too, are trained archeologists. Unfortunately the article doesn't identify whether or not Dr. Redd was a trained archeologist, my guess is that he was not.
naau

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2009

Judged:

fmer505-1951!! Don't get bent up over the comment made by Ret-Cop from CA. Clearly an ignorant being from, yep, you guessed it! FRESNO !!! I'm sure he hasn't a clue what artifacts are or their importance. Probably thinks it's some kind of car.
GOOD GRIEF

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2009

Judged:

Ret-Cop wrote:
It is far from trash. Many of the artifacts are worth tens of thousands of dollars & represent time lines of Native American culture & history. Every culture has it's treasures & we need to respect that, not steal for the profit they bring. Many of the stolen items are breathtaking in their beauty & workmanship. To say such a thing is like saying our Constitution is just a piece of paper or calling Paul Revere's magnificent silver pieces trash. These treasures were taken from Native American land & government land for nothing more than greed. They belong to their owners, the Native Americans. it's like going on somebody's private property & picking up, & taking whatever catches your eye. Let me refresh your memory, stealing is a crime.
GOOD GRIEF

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2009

Judged:

Lee wrote:
Ancient trash or not, it's my opinion that trained archeologists should be the ones to make that determination not Utah doctors unless they, too, are trained archeologists. Unfortunately the article doesn't identify whether or not Dr. Redd was a trained archeologist, my guess is that he was not.
You do not have to be an archeologist to be an expert on ancient artifacts. Forrest Fenn who ran the Fenn Gallery in Santa Fe for years is a world wide, renowned expert on Native American artifacts. When archeologist discover a site they call in paleontologists to carbon date the finds. Other experts are also brought in. The doctor did not have to be an archeologist to be an expert on ancient Native American artifacts. Sadly, he chose greed over integrity. The people involved in the disgusting pilferage knew what they were looking for & recognized it when they found it. They are experts, but also thieves.

I'm certainly not putting archeologist down, It is in their hands to find the ancient civilization ruins & preserve them so the treasures are not damaged when removed. The archeologist have in depth knowledge in their area of expertise that takes years of study & on site experience to garner the vast knowledge required in their field.
naau

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2009

Judged:

Forest Fenn took a bulldozer to the ruin that is on his property south of Santa Fe to 'find' pots He also purchased illegally dug items from pot hunters from Utah. He Is a renowned thief.
GOOD GRIEF

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2009

Judged:

naau wrote:
Forest Fenn took a bulldozer to the ruin that is on his property south of Santa Fe to 'find' pots He also purchased illegally dug items from pot hunters from Utah. He Is a renowned thief.
I was unaware of that, thank's for the heads up.
Overdone

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2009

Judged:

The Feds used a sledge hammer to kill a fly. We need to find who ordered this take down and do the same in return.
Record straight

Georgetown, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2009

Judged:

Fenn did not bulldoze a ruin naau. He doesn't even own a bulldozer. He is not a renowned thief, but it's good to know you are an expert on everyone and everything. You'll probably be eating crow soon when you see how things settle out. I don't believe F. Fenn will be found guilty of anything other than trusting the word of someone who turned on a fellow collector to save his own behind. What's in your closet naau???? You are mistaken on multiple fronts. Propaganda from your own misguidance does not a fact make..........
GOOD GRIEF

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2009

Judged:

Record straight wrote:
Fenn did not bulldoze a ruin naau. He doesn't even own a bulldozer. He is not a renowned thief, but it's good to know you are an expert on everyone and everything. You'll probably be eating crow soon when you see how things settle out. I don't believe F. Fenn will be found guilty of anything other than trusting the word of someone who turned on a fellow collector to save his own behind. What's in your closet naau???? You are mistaken on multiple fronts. Propaganda from your own misguidance does not a fact make..........
I did read the Fed's were not getting a search warrant to search Femm's home. It's doubtful he is involved in this. Isn't he retired & in his 80's?
GOOD GRIEF

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2009

OOps, typo. Fenn's
Formerfalcon

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2009

Judged:

How to Fed's determine if an artifact is found on privately owned land or has been removed from public land? If you find something on your land isn't it yours to do with what you want to? Just wondering.
naau

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2009

Judged:

Silly texan!! I was there! Of course, how would you know. You live there. I live here and it's just my eyes and ears that witness. Familiar with the Cerro Pelon are you? And please, we can all do without your Yoda impressions. He is as guilty as Earl Shumway. Ring a bell??? Put 2 and 2 together or stay out of the sun.....
newmexarch

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2009

Judged:

i have been a professional archaeologist for over 25 years (new mexico for 16 of those); have explored san lazaro more than once in the past 10 years and have NEVER observed an indication of the use of a backhoe. i have SEEN what a backhoe does to a site, and THIS is NOT IT! whatever else he may be guilty of, digging at san lazaro with a backhoe is one thing forrest fenn has NOT done.
Record Straight

Georgetown, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2009

Judged:

Thank you Newmexarch. NAAU...I don't care where you've been, or where you are from. Where I am from down here means nothing other than I am much better traveled than you are and own a car. F. Fenn has never used a bulldozer. If your eyes and ears were there you certainly snuck on the place as Forrest would never have someone with your lack of ethics and education out to his place. Perhaps you are referring to that wee little tractor he uses to push hand dug dirt back into the rooms to help preserve them so the walls don't fall in on themselves. If you think a small tractor that most would use to mow their lawns is a bulldozer and that's what your "eyes and ears" witnesses then your drugs in New Mexico are much better than ours here. Perhaps you need to do some research and get a pair of free glasses from the government before you begin speaking what you know little about. You're just a mouthpiece for a larger cause that is becoming the problem with our society.
Record Straight

Georgetown, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2009

Judged:

Good Grief: Fenn is nearing 80. Is retired. The Feds did search his home but did not charge him with anything. This all relates to a former collector who got himself in trouble with the Feds and turned informant, going after anyone he could to save his own rear end. Sad but true. There are guilty ones out there, and they will be dealt with. The rest that were searched will have their belongings and records returned and will likely not be charged. Weeding through the propaganda that is out there is hard b/c it's all the liberal media likes to focus on. Anything to get web traffic or to sell a paper. I think NAAU works for the liberal rag in Santa Fe called the New Mexican, or at least thinks he does.
naau

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2009

Judged:

So you drive!!! Incredible!! Maybe every couple of years ya go up to Cooper and have the librarian read something from the John Birch Society to you? I've known FF for over 40 years, been on 'his' property long before he held the note and have been in his office when he's purchased items he shouldn't have. Sorry to shatter your dreams buckaroo but probably best you keep pretending that Sulphur Springs is the center of the world lest you fall off onto your country bumkin noggin again. By the way, I build roads, so if you need to rent a dozer...
Record Straight

Georgetown, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2009

Judged:

NAAU. If you build roads you would know the difference between a dozer, an excavator, a hoe, etc, etc, etc. I think the roads you build are small paths to your garden with a wheel barrow and shovel. You are missing the point here entirely. I think you sit at home too much watching Jerry Springer and Oprah.

Country bumpkin, buckaroo? Nice touch. Is that all you have, names to throw out there? Wow...you've obviously not done much in life. You're lack of tact shows your level of education. As for "knowing" FF for 40 years. I doubt that seriously. Know of him...maybe.

Good luck to you and your trail building.
John

Quincy, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 16, 2009

Ret-Cop wrote:
He was digging up human remains your probably glad it wasn't one of your family members aren't you.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
Placitas Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Placitas Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••