Posted in the Placitas Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

“US Navy”

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#1 Jan 19, 2013
NM HB 77, Firearms Transfer act Act would (in part) not allow you to purchase or own a gun if you were dishonorably discharged from the armed forces.

- Why is ones race necessary when you transfer ownership of a gun?
- Using your SS# if you're the recipient is voluntary.
- It requires the address of where the transaction takes place (Walmart parking lot?).
- Looks like it requires you to have a photo ID in order to sell(?) or buy(?).
- Ahhh, a state photo ID is good which means in NM you can use a NMDL (and illegals who have them??).

That's enough, after perusing this its obvious it needs some work.

http://www.nmlegis.gov/Sessions/13%20Regular/...

“Each Thought Creates A Reality”

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#2 Jan 20, 2013
They have also looked at Vets who may have PTSD and the VA...taking away or suspending their rights to have a firearm. That is not new.
Or in any

Huntsville, AL

#4 Jan 20, 2013
Willothewisp wrote:
They have also looked at Vets who may have PTSD and the VA...taking away or suspending their rights to have a firearm. That is not new.
way unreasonable.

“US Navy”

Location hidden

#5 Jan 20, 2013
PTSD may be something to look at but a DD is a bit far reaching. One can get tossed from the service quite easily and not be a danger as it relates to guns.

Location hidden

#6 Jan 20, 2013
Or in any wrote:
<quoted text>
way unreasonable.
I agree. Not adjudicated. No due process. To have a civil liberty suspended seems to be more an administrative than a legal issue. This is not the Lautenberg Amendment.8224
tell

Albuquerque, NM

#7 Jan 20, 2013
Willothewisp wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. Not adjudicated. No due process. To have a civil liberty suspended seems to be more an administrative than a legal issue. This is not the Lautenberg Amendment.8224
that to the guberment.

“26.2”

Since: Feb 08

Santa Fe, NM

#8 Jan 20, 2013
CornDogz wrote:
PTSD may be something to look at but a DD is a bit far reaching. One can get tossed from the service quite easily and not be a danger as it relates to guns.
We should not do ANYTHING that might discourage our veterans from asking for help with PTSD. From what I know about it, they are probably more likely to hurt themselves rather than to go on a massacre rampage.

I think they should outlaw guns for convicted felons and people who have been involuntarily confined for mental illness. With 300 million guns in the USA any legislation is going to be more like closing the barn door after the horses escaped, anyway.

Location hidden

#9 Jan 20, 2013
That was "way unreasonable" comment from OIA and it was in reference to the Vets thing. Was actually surprised he also found in "way unreasonable".

“US Navy”

Location hidden

#10 Jan 20, 2013
Lobo Viejo wrote:
<quoted text>
We should not do ANYTHING that might discourage our veterans from asking for help with PTSD. From what I know about it, they are probably more likely to hurt themselves rather than to go on a massacre rampage.
I think they should outlaw guns for convicted felons and people who have been involuntarily confined for mental illness. With 300 million guns in the USA any legislation is going to be more like closing the barn door after the horses escaped, anyway.
No dispute from me on that. The PTSD thing wouldn't be designed to discourage anyone asking for help - I would hope. And certainly each PTSD case has its own issues. Wouldn't want to see them hurt themselves or others. Not a one size fits all thing.
Political

Albuquerque, NM

#12 Jan 20, 2013
garbage from politicians who want to jump on the Obama headlines on gun control.

How about a law banning all politicians from owning guns or being allowed armed body guards?
Hagar

Sterling Heights, MI

#13 Jan 20, 2013
Instead of requiring Transfer checks (which is just another money maker for Santa Fe and a way to start a gun registration) why not add a small fee to each new gun buyer requiring a firearms safety class. Existing gun owners would not have to take the class and new purchasers who have not completed a class within the last 5 years must take it again. Concealed carry permit holders would be exempt because it is covered in their training. This improves safety without just making more unnecessary, non-safety related bureaucracy.

“US Navy”

Location hidden

#14 Jan 20, 2013
Hagar wrote:
Instead of requiring Transfer checks (which is just another money maker for Santa Fe and a way to start a gun registration) why not add a small fee to each new gun buyer requiring a firearms safety class. Existing gun owners would not have to take the class and new purchasers who have not completed a class within the last 5 years must take it again. Concealed carry permit holders would be exempt because it is covered in their training. This improves safety without just making more unnecessary, non-safety related bureaucracy.
At one time years ago a firearms training class was a requirement(?). When I first took my youngest hunting we both attended. IIRC it was mandatory and had to be renewed at some interval thereafter. But that was 25 or so years ago so lots could have changed since then.

I noted the max $25 & $35 fee's the bill has in it too.

“US Navy”

Location hidden

#15 Jan 20, 2013
Forgot to mention that the 2-day course had a cost, IIRC I ~think~ it was $10/person, maybe $15. Too long ago, and the card you got had to be in your possession while hunting too. I wonder now if it was because he was under 18(?) at the time?
Hagar

Sterling Heights, MI

#16 Jan 20, 2013
CornDogz wrote:
Forgot to mention that the 2-day course had a cost, IIRC I ~think~ it was $10/person, maybe $15. Too long ago, and the card you got had to be in your possession while hunting too. I wonder now if it was because he was under 18(?) at the time?
I remember that for kids also. I think the NRA and/or the Wildlife Commission conducted the classes. I remember they had cards also in order to hunt. My idea is similar, but would be for everybody, with the exceptions noted, and you would get a card with an expiration date. In order to make an additional purchase you would need to produce the card showing it was within it's valid life time.
Bill Clinton

Santa Fe, NM

#17 Jan 20, 2013
Hagar wrote:
Your idea would help reduce the number of Dick Cheney type of accidental shootings, and I like that. But what about preventing guns from being transferred to felons and psychos?
Hagar

Sterling Heights, MI

#18 Jan 20, 2013
Bill Clinton wrote:
<quoted text>
Your idea would help reduce the number of Dick Cheney type of accidental shootings, and I like that. But what about preventing guns from being transferred to felons and psychos?
Go to a class, get your "safety card" and in the process have a BG Check. Card would be good for 5 yrs (suggested). Classes could be conducted in conjunction with gun shows or at firearms dealers. Details would need to be worked out.
Hagar

Sterling Heights, MI

#19 Jan 20, 2013
Also, LEOs would be exempt due to their training requirements. BGs would be needed as well, but combine the two. If a private seller wanted to sell to someone, the buyer would have to produce a "safety card" which was valid. Just trying to make a suggestion for improving safety and keeping psychos and felons from purchasing while minimizing the hassle, not trying to start an argument.

Location hidden

#20 Jan 20, 2013
Great ideas. Good thing you can't forge NM DL's. Give them one more thing to run. Good thinking. You don't own it anymore. They do. Good thing gold isn't illegal to own anymore.

No wonder we elect who we elect.

Location hidden

#21 Jan 20, 2013
Yeah and give cards to LEO's. And the military. Good thinking. Carried often. Used Seldom. Seen their qualification rounds yearly? Got to be a joke or a troll.
Hagar

Sterling Heights, MI

#22 Jan 20, 2013
Willothewisp wrote:
Yeah and give cards to LEO's. And the military. Good thinking. Carried often. Used Seldom. Seen their qualification rounds yearly? Got to be a joke or a troll.
Do you have a constructive idea, or just trolling yourself?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Placitas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Today I Saw (Nov '09) 1 hr Frmr-fmer505-1951 62,417
Good Old Days 2 (Apr '10) 1 hr Frmr-fmer505-1951 113,394
how about that first debate! 1 hr More 9
News Starbucks has new fall flavor that's very simil... 7 hr Tylinn 22
"What Is Aleppo?" Gary Johnson: A person suffe... 11 hr Shah 21
News NMSP and APD Chase ends with one dead and two a... (Dec '13) Dec '13 thats 1
News Alamogordo mechanic reveals Roswell incident (Jul '13) Jul '13 Billy 1

Placitas Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Placitas Mortgages