Posted in the Placitas Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Each Thought Creates A Reality”

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#1 Jun 2, 2013
So where is all the recycling going? Is the center even operational yet? Where is it being stored? How is it being stored? No story on the fact that it is not being recycled, just stored. What gives with the stories about a non-existent recycling center that can only store and has not yet recycled anything.
LibertyLink

Rio Rancho, NM

#2 Jun 2, 2013
If it is only used once.......

“US Navy”

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#3 Jun 2, 2013
The city entered into a public/private partnership with Friedman Recycling. I believe we are storing it at the moment for them, most likely at the old recycling processing plant at the Cerro Colorado Landfill, while Friedman is building a plant to sort/store/transport etc which as per the following Dec 20, 2012 article is supposed to be completed by the end of this year. Maybe they are ahead of schedule and that's why carts are now being distributed city-wide?????

FWIW the ~FREE~ comment is bullshit, we have been and will continue to pay for it. I think what they are saying is it won't cost more than what we're currently paying.

http://www.koat.com/news/Free-recycling-progr...
IM NEVER WRONG

Oklahoma City, OK

#4 Jun 2, 2013
SHAME on the Albuquerque residents that have not insisted that a recycling program be implemented long ago. Oklahoma City and surrounding suburbs have had this program for years as most other cities it's size across the nation.Why does ABQ fall short? Why does it take an undesirable rating only to say we are in the process of having a program staring soon?We pay for ours and we are proud to do so.

“US Navy”

Location hidden

#5 Jun 2, 2013
IM NEVER WRONG wrote:
SHAME on the Albuquerque residents that have not insisted that a recycling program be implemented long ago. Oklahoma City and surrounding suburbs have had this program for years as most other cities it's size across the nation.Why does ABQ fall short? Why does it take an undesirable rating only to say we are in the process of having a program staring soon?We pay for ours and we are proud to do so.
Knock knock, Mcfly, are you in there? Abq has had a voluntary recycling pgm since the early 90's. The problem was two-fold:(1) it was voluntary so promotion/participation was poor; (2) poor pick-up oversight. Recyclables were put into plastic bags (which I no longer got over two years ago) and placed curbside, but when the center became full (volume) it went directly to the landfill. Trucks were video'd going right past it to the dump at times when it wasn't full either. When the public found out participation dropped drastically.

Sadly its still voluntary even though we all pay for it whether we participate or not. At long last my cart is supposed to be delivered sometime this month.

Location hidden

#6 Jun 2, 2013
And we have had these blue carts for how long (March 2012)?, and they are rolling out another 150K and the plant is not up and running. Bet they aren't storing it properly and against regulations.

They say that collection is one part of it and then "to close the loop" they have to process it. Over a year's worth is sitting where?

Location hidden

#7 Jun 2, 2013
Processing, I guess, is a minor part of recycling.

“US Navy”

Location hidden

#8 Jun 2, 2013
Willothewisp wrote:
Processing, I guess, is a minor part of recycling.
That's dependent upon the buyer and/or if its being shipped elsewhere to be sorted and/or fully or semi sorted here. No idea what that process is but its got to be piling up someplace!

You are right on the storage. With the whole city getting them now instead of just the pilot group, a lot more will be generated and require storage or shipping someplace.

“US Navy”

Location hidden

#9 Jun 2, 2013
Willothewisp wrote:
They say that collection is one part of it and then "to close the loop" they have to process it. Over a year's worth is sitting where?
If its being held @ the Cerro Colorado LF, they have plenty of space -in the elements- to do so, huge landfill area out there.

Location hidden

#10 Jun 2, 2013
CornDogz wrote:
<quoted text>
If its being held @ the Cerro Colorado LF, they have plenty of space -in the elements- to do so, huge landfill area out there.
Being held here...piles. Call the Mayor's office.

“US Navy”

Location hidden

#11 Jun 2, 2013
Willothewisp wrote:
<quoted text>
Being held here...piles. Call the Mayor's office.
Better it sits out of sight in a contained area until it is transported later than going into the landfill whilst the facility is being built. Once this landfill is full we'll be seeing our garbage rates skyrocket. We are one of the very few LFs nationwide that is not privately owned, the CoA actually owns Cerro Colorado, hence the cost is much much lower than what a for profit outfit charges. When built in the 90's it was expected to last 50 years, and should well exceed that if recycling takes off. One big plus is it doesn't take construction waste, or didn't used to anyway.
dunadd

Greensboro, NC

#12 Jun 14, 2013
Alq is recycling Comenici? I hope I spelled that correctly. I aint too good at Romanian names.

Location hidden

#13 Jun 14, 2013
The recycling for the last year is a bust. Ask what they did with all the stored recycling for the last year in the pilot project area. The recycling plant didn't open until this month and is not fully operational. Stored at Montessa....and now considered contaminated. Will end up in the land fill. See what type of answer you get. What a farce.

And the new roll out will be delayed. They don't have the drivers for the trucks to pick up the other 100K+ carts....

“US Navy”

Location hidden

#14 Jun 15, 2013
Willothewisp wrote:
The recycling for the last year is a bust. Ask what they did with all the stored recycling for the last year in the pilot project area. The recycling plant didn't open until this month and is not fully operational. Stored at Montessa....and now considered contaminated. Will end up in the land fill. See what type of answer you get. What a farce.
And the new roll out will be delayed. They don't have the drivers for the trucks to pick up the other 100K+ carts....
Have you a source for the above allegations - just curious?

Location hidden

#15 Jun 15, 2013
Call and ask what they did with all the recycled material they collected since last Spring as the Recycle Plant was not open. Ask what the Federal and State Regs are for storing household recycling and length of time they can do it. Look up the normal news sites here. There were a few stories about it. Call Waste Management. They won't have an answer for how much was recycled.

“US Navy”

Location hidden

#16 Jun 15, 2013
If nobody there knows how much was recycled and/or stored then I doubt they have a clue where it was stored or what the regs may say. My suspicion would be that storage of recyclables is quite lenient as that's not the issue, whereas the usability of those stored recyclables by the recycling market is. And since Montessa Park was/is a Convenience Center, and the area immediately S of it was a landfill for years too, it may well not be a problem within the regs to store there -IF- that's where it being stored, which is doubtful. FWIW, the county had a smaller landfill adjacent to the SB landfill then too. However, this certainly casts a shadow on SWMD's recycling pgm, and having watched their Dir back peddle a few times on TV interviews, I'd not believe a word out of her mouth. One could easily view it as a deceitful scam.

So digressing here for a moment, lets assume that recyclables have been gathered and stored somewhere for a year now, and are past their prime if you will, so will have to be landfilled. They are much more compact now than if dumped loosely and will still end up in the landfill, its just delayed a lot.

Lets assume nothing was recycled over that same period. What would be the difference between the two scenarios? It still would have ended up in the landfill. Two things stand out,(1) the potential for a higher overall rate payer cost for gathering it, yet much of that increased cost would have been absorbed had it been collected as trash as opposed to recyclables as the overall volume would have been the same (drivers costs would not however and truck maint/op costs), and (2) it does get more people thinking about recycling, which is a good thing.

Anyway - Its mid June and I'm still waiting for my recycling cart which is supposed to arrive this month<sigh>. We've all been paying a recycling fee for years now, and a fuel surcharge so its past time to get a damned cart to use.

Location hidden

#17 Jun 15, 2013
Lots of luck with that.

Contamination has to do with the storage and WHERE it is stored.

Paying for the feel good of recycling which was like the Emperors clothes.

There are regs. Never stopped anyone before.

Will leave it at that. Deduction my dear Watson....

“US Navy”

Location hidden

#18 Jun 27, 2013
The new recycling plant officially opens today, June 27th @ Edith & Griegos NE.

Location hidden

#19 Jun 27, 2013
And isn't it interesting that no news story on how all the recycling was stored outside at Montessa Park and not sorted or protected and was all for naught. Buried. So to speak. But if it makes one feel good.

“US Navy”

Location hidden

#20 Jun 27, 2013
Ok, so what would have been your preferred approach to it all?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Placitas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Good Old Days 2 (Apr '10) 4 min Mister Chix 109,086
Today I Saw (Nov '09) 1 hr Ur gross 58,402
People Leaving Albuquerque In National Ranking 1 hr Rose 24
News New Mexico VA clinic among nationa s worst for ... 1 hr mimbresed 7
News Woman files suit claiming flashing lights free ... 2 hr Zoe 46
News Rio Rancho man accused of abducting teen to be ... 3 hr Shaquan 11
Dannon Yogurt's "OIKOS" Greek Yogurt Commercial 3 hr fmer505-1951 5
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Placitas Mortgages