Hotline for abuse cost NM $147k

Hotline for abuse cost NM $147k

There are 8 comments on the Farmington Daily Times story from May 23, 2011, titled Hotline for abuse cost NM $147k. In it, Farmington Daily Times reports that:

In a year of shrinking budgets, Gov. Susana Martinez's administration has spent about $147,000 to advertise a new state hotline to report child abuse.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Farmington Daily Times.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#1 May 23, 2011
Noble cause, but the state already had a "hotline" for child abuse that worked with ALL "landline" AND cell phones, even those that don't have any active service (and at no expense to the state), and the vast majority of citizens find it easy to remember: 911

I voted for Governor Martinez, I like what she's done, or tried to do, while in office so far, but this expense is an unnecessary duplication of existing services.
Happy

Rio Rancho, NM

#2 May 23, 2011
This is good, with so many children abused in the Farmington Area I am glad to see that there is a number to call 'out of the good old boy local network.'
Facts

Rio Rancho, NM

#3 May 23, 2011
Cary L Nickel wrote:
Noble cause, but the state already had a "hotline" for child abuse that worked with ALL "landline" AND cell phones, even those that don't have any active service (and at no expense to the state), and the vast majority of citizens find it easy to remember: 911
I voted for Governor Martinez, I like what she's done, or tried to do, while in office so far, but this expense is an unnecessary duplication of existing services.
Wait a minute, do you know how many 911 calls go to the wrong address, or even State.
How many 911 operators are trained to deal specifically with this kind of call - None.
just wondering

Albuquerque, NM

#4 May 23, 2011
Who is the Zephyr Group in Placitas? They do not have a website and I could not find them in the phone book. A third of the contract went to them, but that is typical in advertising. Do the ads have Susana's name or picture?

Location hidden

#5 May 23, 2011
Facts wrote:
<quoted text>
Wait a minute, do you know how many 911 calls go to the wrong address, or even State.
How many 911 operators are trained to deal specifically with this kind of call - None.
Agreed. But 911's job is not to actually fight the fire, or bust the drunk driver, or respond to the crime. 911's job is to dispatch the proper people to the scene, which they could easily do in suspected child abuse cases as well, just as they already do in many other states.

It's simply not government's job to have an individual "hotline" for every conceivable circumstance. And I'm just a little disappointed that such a new expenditure was initiated during what are already tough budget times.

Location hidden

#6 May 23, 2011
Happy wrote:
This is good, with so many children abused in the Farmington Area I am glad to see that there is a number to call 'out of the good old boy local network.'
If you know of "so many children abused in the Farmington area", I hope you've been reporting your information to the authorities.

Also, you should report what you know about child abuse cases being swept under the rug by the "good old boy local network". Specifically, which authorities are involved, when, and what cases did they refuse to investigate?
3rd World

Santa Fe, NM

#7 May 23, 2011
Don't necessarily disaree with what most have said here, I think the hotline is a waste for many reasons, not just finanical. But this hotline was in the works under the last administration. This was a reaction to some of the high profile cases where kids were severely injured or killed in other parts of the state. Mr. Nickel is right, that is what 911 is for. Law enforcement is the only one who can remove a child from a home and place in protective custody. They also are able to respond much quicker to a situation since they work around the clock. People who really want to call in suspected child abuse will take the time to find the number or just call the police.

As for happy, the original hotline number was based in Albuquerque, not the local "good ole boys network."

To FACTS, 911 operators are trained to handle all types of calls. Bottom line they receive a call and an officer is dispatched. Also, law enforcement is trained in how to handle abuse/neglect cases and know to call the proper agency if abuse/neglect is suspected. This new number did not change anything in regards to how these cases are handled and by who.
Not Enough Facts

Grand Junction, CO

#8 May 23, 2011
On face value, I cannot make a call whether this is a good use of cash or a pet project or...something more. I would probably put this on the same level as the Safe Communities Project here in Farmington. Nice look on the surface but when you drill down, it adds nothing to the equation.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Placitas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Today I Saw (Nov '09) 8 min new parrot 62,055
Good Old Days 2 (Apr '10) 17 min Sabrina 112,853
Boom Cars what you and your family need to know... (Oct '11) 46 min Cock 16
News Council puts school administrator accused of st... 56 min Terressa 3
News Critics: Trump speech signals shift to coded ra... 59 min Dominique 34
Why did the entire KRQE morning news team leave... (Dec '14) 1 hr Dominique 90
News Martinez prefers to stick to issues (Jun '10) 1 hr Felisha 6,885

Placitas Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance