Minivan stop ends in shots fired, hig...

Minivan stop ends in shots fired, high speed chase for family

There are 55 comments on the WHAS11 story from Nov 16, 2013, titled Minivan stop ends in shots fired, high speed chase for family. In it, WHAS11 reports that:

Video from a police dashboard camera showed how a routine traffic stop devolved into an intense incident that involved a high speed chase and a police officer appearing to shoot at van full of children.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WHAS11.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
lolol

Albuquerque, NM

#1 Nov 17, 2013
that's our state police lolol
NM where being stopped for speeding with your 5 children in the car, arguing with the cop over the ticket, cop trying to pull you physically from your car and your 14yr old trying to protect you, scaring you bad enough to drive off in fear warrants our brave fearless state popo to empty his 9mm at the back of your vehicle. Hey big brave popo, what if you had hit the 6 yr old in the car ? Was the 6 yr old a threat to you ?, this car was driving AWAY from the officer, not AT HIM, he had the plate number, address, name of the driver. Since when is it a capital execution offense to drive away from a traffic stop because a woman driver is scared by these nazi storm troopers actions and physical harm pulling her out of her car for SPEEDING for chrissakes ? And the popo scratch their heads in bewilderment why the public doesn't trust them.

“US Navy”

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#2 Nov 17, 2013
I don't know that he emptied his gun but regardless, the ends did not appear to justify the means, from her initial actions to theirs in the end. I sincerely hope some heads roll on this if the true facts warrant such. WAY too many things do not add up to the actions both entities took. A ~real~ tragedy could have occurred here.

Since: Dec 09

Corrales, NM

#3 Nov 17, 2013
I watched the police video and that women is lucky to be alive. She needs to do some serious jail time simply for putting her children at risk. I have to say I question the officer who shot at her vehicle but isn't it time we start punishing criminals rather than give them a pass and go after the police office who was just trying to do his job.
Scarecrow

Louisville, KY

#4 Nov 17, 2013
The woman was probably high on drugs or just crazy. The cop that shot the car needs to be transferred to the rubber gun squad.......
Politically Incorrect

United States

#5 Nov 17, 2013
fscott wrote:
I watched the police video and that women is lucky to be alive. She needs to do some serious jail time simply for putting her children at risk. I have to say I question the officer who shot at her vehicle but isn't it time we start punishing criminals rather than give them a pass and go after the police office who was just trying to do his job.
seriously? You're a good little piggy aren't you?
Police State

United States

#10 Nov 17, 2013
What did the f*cking cops brandishing the baton think he was going to accomplish by smashing the window and spraying shards of glass all over the children?
Rise Up

United States

#11 Nov 17, 2013
F*cking cops are nothing kore than licensed criminals.
Effing State Cop

United States

#12 Nov 17, 2013
Be warned! If you do not follow my instructions I will take out your children!
too

Sterling Heights, MI

#13 Nov 17, 2013
bad someone didn't long ago abort the author of the last four comments here.
Bullets For Kids

United States

#14 Nov 18, 2013
NM state cops load their guns every day hoping for a kid kill.
hmmmmmm

Albuquerque, NM

#17 Nov 18, 2013
Since when have police become the traffic court collections dept.? I have been stopped before and all I am asked to do is sign the citation in either the spot that I agree with the ticket and will mail in the fine, or sign the line that I will appear at the court to plea on the ticket and contest it. I have never had an officer discuss the fine payment or the amount. I haven't had a ticket for quite some time so I guess fine determination and collection has switched from the court system to the cop giving the ticket.
crooked cop

United States

#18 Nov 18, 2013
that cop just pocketed the money you gave him
lolol

Albuquerque, NM

#19 Nov 18, 2013
Bullets For Kids wrote:
NM state cops load their guns every day hoping for a kid kill.
thank gawd they didn't have the family dog in the van with them
THE GREEN WATCH DOG

Oklahoma City, OK

#20 Nov 18, 2013
fscott wrote:
From what I can see the NM State police acted in accordance with all procedures with the exception of shooting a gun at the vehicle moving away. The policeman who shot not only endangered the lives of ones in the vehicle, but also the police officer to the right of him In the direction of fire.
Ralph

Bloomingdale, IN

#21 Nov 18, 2013
THE GREEN WATCH DOG wrote:
<quoted text>From what I can see the NM State police acted in accordance with all procedures with the exception of shooting a gun at the vehicle moving away. The policeman who shot not only endangered the lives of ones in the vehicle, but also the police officer to the right of him In the direction of fire.
They may have followed established procedure, but was procedure correct? The mother was pulled out of the car, a 14 year old boy went to the defense of his mother. Cop turned on 14 year old, 14 year old retreats to van locking door. Cop proceeds to break glass on passenger side, probably hoping to hit kid. Scares hell out of mother who decide to drive away. Really brave cop shoots into van full of children, attempting to do God knows what. Mom drives to public place to stop and park, probably hoping wittnesses will prevent further violence to children.
There were enough police cars there to box in van, and prevent movement, which I realize is not procedure. I guess it is just easier to shoot and what happens happens.
Sort of like in Califorinia when they wer searching for a ex-black-policeman that allegedly shot and killed several people. Police shopped a pick-up truck that they thought may hold the ex-policeman, shootin it up with two women inside, even though it was not the right make or color. Probably proceedurely correct though.
Ralph

Bloomingdale, IN

#22 Nov 18, 2013
fscott wrote:
I guess I did not realize that a policeman's job included shooting children. No police that do not know what they are shooting at ( and I am making that assumption), need to be weeded out as a menace to society.
THE GREEN WATCH DOG

Oklahoma City, OK

#23 Nov 18, 2013
Ralph wrote:
<quoted text>They may have followed established procedure, but was procedure correct? The mother was pulled out of the car, a 14 year old boy went to the defense of his mother. Cop turned on 14 year old, 14 year old retreats to van locking door. Cop proceeds to break glass on passenger side, probably hoping to hit kid. Scares hell out of mother who decide to drive away. Really brave cop shoots into van full of children, attempting to do God knows what. Mom drives to public place to stop and park, probably hoping wittnesses will prevent further violence to children.
There were enough police cars there to box in van, and prevent movement, which I realize is not procedure. I guess it is just easier to shoot and what happens happens.
Sort of like in Califorinia when they wer searching for a ex-black-policeman that allegedly shot and killed several people. Police shopped a pick-up truck that they thought may hold the ex-policeman, shootin it up with two women inside, even though it was not the right make or color. Probably proceedurely correct though.
The boy should have stayed vehicle. He's lucky he did not get taken down into the pavement or zapped with the taser. The officer missed that opportunity. I'm sure he was asked who he was and his age while he was racing to get back in his mother's van.
Cornholed

Albuquerque, NM

#24 Nov 18, 2013
CornDogz wrote:
I don't know that he emptied his gun but regardless, the ends did not appear to justify the means, from her initial actions to theirs in the end. I sincerely hope some heads roll on this if the true facts warrant such. WAY too many things do not add up to the actions both entities took. A ~real~ tragedy could have occurred here.
Our current governor stated in LC, and once in office, she would not prosecute cops for badly using deadly force. This a natural outcome of that. They will continue getting bolder, so long as Gov. Fatso refuses to apportion money to the AG to prosecute them, or take an initiative to stop them.

“Each Thought Creates A Reality”

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#25 Nov 18, 2013
THE GREEN WATCH DOG wrote:
<quoted text>From what I can see the NM State police acted in accordance with all procedures with the exception of shooting a gun at the vehicle moving away. The policeman who shot not only endangered the lives of ones in the vehicle, but also the police officer to the right of him In the direction of fire.
Followed all procedures, BUT....firing a Firearm and Breaking Glass at the passenger rear of the vehicle, not where the driver was...a small "with the exception of..." I hit him....with a newspaper...no an aluminum baseball bat...With the exception of the bat he acted fine? This is not the movies. Gone to a firing range that encourages using rubber tires as a target or backstop? Even with steel plate it is dangerous. And they practice how many times a week? Or wait for their yearly qualification. A moving vehicle with kids in it? No weapons? No imminent threat. High speed chases are not dangerous. Tire spike mats? OJ follow? No other alternatives? The cops react or do they escalate? Followed all procedures with the exception of...? Firing a nasty deadly firearm at "hostage" children in the rear of the van. You put the threat on the road...

“Each Thought Creates A Reality”

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#26 Nov 18, 2013
Cornholed wrote:
<quoted text>
Our current governor stated in LC, and once in office, she would not prosecute cops for badly using deadly force. This a natural outcome of that. They will continue getting bolder, so long as Gov. Fatso refuses to apportion money to the AG to prosecute them, or take an initiative to stop them.
Should have hotels give special rates to the FBI and DOJ for their visits here...help the economy.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Placitas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Today I Saw (Nov '09) 1 hr fmer505-1951 62,249
Good Old Days 2 (Apr '10) 1 hr fmer505-1951 113,103
hillary endorsed by grand dragon kkk - tim kane... 2 hr DAC 5
News New a Breaking Bada balloon coming to the sky 4 hr Ruby 4
News Thieves steal thousands of dollars from Albuque... 4 hr Ruby 4
News Las Cruces vigil to honor murdered ABQ child 6 hr again 4
Academy Acres Estates-Abq NE-Burglary Suspects ... 6 hr again 7

Placitas Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance