N.M. Gas: Service should be restored in Alamogordo by Saturday night

Full story: Alamogordo Daily News

ALBUQUERQUE New Mexico Gas Co. workers were making slow progress Saturday restoring service to about 32,000 customers who were cut off because of a shortage.
Comments
41 - 60 of 62 Comments Last updated Feb 6, 2011
land locked sailor

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#42
Feb 5, 2011
 

Judged:

2

2

1

Andy Whiteman wrote:
<quoted text>I don't agrre with you. Are you an attorney?
Dear Andy, Once you move here, i hope you learn to be a good citizen and not speak like a out of towner...Some people take offense to those who feel they know everything and question to much, Once you move here, and see how this town and surrounding area is, I am sure you will understand a little more..
Yep

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#43
Feb 5, 2011
 

Judged:

3

2

2

BarbMoore wrote:
<quoted text>
No but motel costs were not a necessary expense when there was a shelter available for free.
Common sense 101


Especially when alot of the hotels/motels were without heat and hot water as well.

“Our nearest star”

Since: May 09

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#45
Feb 5, 2011
 

Judged:

5

2

1

LilStinka wrote:
<quoted text>
We've already taken roll twice since you have been MIA, lol. We've been thinking of you too.
Crap, have I been marked truant? I really don't want to be expelled.

Since: Aug 08

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#48
Feb 5, 2011
 

Judged:

2

1

1

BarbMoore wrote:
<quoted text>
Crap, have I been marked truant? I really don't want to be expelled.
Yup. Make an appearance and you won't be, lol.

“Our nearest star”

Since: May 09

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#50
Feb 5, 2011
 

Judged:

4

2

LilStinka wrote:
<quoted text>
Yup. Make an appearance and you won't be, lol.
I'm getting ready to turn in for the night. I promise to stop in and stay for a bit tomorrow before the big game.

“26.2”

Since: Feb 08

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#52
Feb 6, 2011
 

Judged:

3

2

1

No shortage of gas and hot air here in Santa Fe...legislature is in session.
land locked sailor

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#53
Feb 6, 2011
 

Judged:

1

Andy Whiteman wrote:
<quoted text>
How can anyone afford the bill for gas at 71 degrees? My heat is set at 61 constantly and I can't afford it. Of course the gas price here is twice as much as Alamo. My home in Alamo is set at 50 so the pipes don't freeze.
Only works if you have gas to the house.

And why cannot someone have there heat set to the temperature they are comfortable with, they are the ones paying their bill.

Government allowed the utilities to set the promise of service, and they in turn established contracts with outside providers, the state has tons of natural gas, why does NM import gas, because we have not used money and brain cells to create our own transmition lines inside the state. The government has set a trend of providing service's that people expect, so blame has to be shared with the government of this failure.
Does Anyone 2comecare

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#54
Feb 6, 2011
 
Too Cold wrote:
<quoted text>
What part of town are you in? Were over here by the golf course and still no gas...3 days without hot water or heat is getting old. Especially when I heard people up by the hospital say they've been cranking up the heat to stay warm but are turning it down to 71 at night!!! Sure hope we get our gas back on this afternoon!
We've had our temp at no more than 65, all week. At times it went down to 62 and
the system would go on during the night. We have some narrow spaces in the doorways
and put boxes, jzackets, sweaters and some older flannel shirts in front of doors.

The door are wi;; be fixed on Monday when it warmes up a bit.

Our electric bills during the summer are usually under $55 and past month has only
been $67 for a 700 SqFt Apt.

Frig and large screen TV take up much of the utility bill.

Hope that helps at least one out there.

Have a nice day.

Since: Jul 08

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#56
Feb 6, 2011
 

Judged:

1

BarbMoore wrote:
<quoted text>
No but motel costs were not a necessary expense when there was a shelter available for free.
Common sense 101
I thought you would plead common sense. Different people have different needs and different life styles. Your common sense doesn't apply in this case. If a lawsuit goes to court, a jury may or may not use your common sense.
This needs to co to court rather than one person stating, "You can't due if a shelter is provided."
land locked sailor

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#57
Feb 6, 2011
 

Judged:

2

1

1

Andy Whiteman wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought you would plead common sense. Different people have different needs and different life styles. Your common sense doesn't apply in this case. If a lawsuit goes to court, a jury may or may not use your common sense.
This needs to co to court rather than one person stating, "You can't due if a shelter is provided."
Barb, is right on this issue, the city and other areas has shelters that provide the basic needs of survival until the weather passes, So common sense flows both ways, and i see you are going to be another "know it all" here on Topix, Maybe once you finally move here you will see how things really are, But it is easy being an armchair Alamogordo expert on common sense..

Since: Jul 08

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#58
Feb 6, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

land locked sailor wrote:
<quoted text>
Only works if you have gas to the house.
And why cannot someone have there heat set to the temperature they are comfortable with, they are the ones paying their bill.
Government allowed the utilities to set the promise of service, and they in turn established contracts with outside providers, the state has tons of natural gas, why does NM import gas, because we have not used money and brain cells to create our own transmition lines inside the state. The government has set a trend of providing service's that people expect, so blame has to be shared with the government of this failure.
Agreed. A person has the right to set the thermostat to whatever they want since they pay the bill. My point was how can anyone afford it? I can't afford to set my house to 71. Mine is set to 61, at the objection of my doctor, and I can't afford to keep it at 61.

Since: Jul 08

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#59
Feb 6, 2011
 

Judged:

1

land locked sailor wrote:
<quoted text>
Barb, is right on this issue, the city and other areas has shelters that provide the basic needs of survival until the weather passes, So common sense flows both ways, and i see you are going to be another "know it all" here on Topix, Maybe once you finally move here you will see how things really are, But it is easy being an armchair Alamogordo expert on common sense..
I can cite several reasons why I and possibly others, would not be able to live in a shelter, any shelter, anywhere. It is not an Alamogordo common sense issue. It is a personal issue.

“Our nearest star”

Since: May 09

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#60
Feb 6, 2011
 

Judged:

2

1

1

Andy Whiteman wrote:
<quoted text>
I can cite several reasons why I and possibly others, would not be able to live in a shelter, any shelter, anywhere. It is not an Alamogordo common sense issue. It is a personal issue.
Good luck with that lawsuit.
Cactus Flower

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#61
Feb 6, 2011
 

Judged:

2

1

Andy Whiteman wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed. A person has the right to set the thermostat to whatever they want since they pay the bill. My point was how can anyone afford it? I can't afford to set my house to 71. Mine is set to 61, at the objection of my doctor, and I can't afford to keep it at 61.
I believe you are in for a big surprise when/if you relocate to Alamogordo. Prices here on things like groceries are quite high and you are limited as to where you can shop.

Since: Jul 08

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#62
Feb 6, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

1

BarbMoore wrote:
<quoted text>
Good luck with that lawsuit.
Your previous post about motels not having gas is makes a good point. My assumption is it would be very difficult to find a motel with a vacancy. I am very picky about motels which makes it very difficult to find a room in normal weather. I would expect everyone would get a class action suit going due to misconduct by the gas company putting peoples lives in danger. If the gas failed, they should have had backup generators to keep up the pressure. But arbitrarily turning off gas meters is criminal!

I am surprised that the sheeple of Alamogordo are willing to be forced out of their homes and herded into a shelter with no complaint.

If my gas went out or was turned off, I would stay in my house (apparently some on this blog who weren't sheeple did that.) I would use space heaters and light a fire in the fireplace. Lighting the fireplace is something I wouldn't normally due~~only for an emergency.(I have a friend who heats with wood because gas is too expensive.)

Since: Jul 08

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#63
Feb 6, 2011
 
Cactus Flower wrote:
<quoted text> I believe you are in for a big surprise when/if you relocate to Alamogordo. Prices here on things like groceries are quite high and you are limited as to where you can shop.
That is what I though when I was in town and saw Walmart's prices. Didn't check Lowes. But I have been checking the Lowe's ads and your prices are lower than Kansas City! I don't buy meat because it is too expensive, but your meat is downright cheap compared to here. I may eat meat after I move.

“Our nearest star”

Since: May 09

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#64
Feb 6, 2011
 

Judged:

2

1

1

Andy Whiteman wrote:
<quoted text>
Your previous post about motels not having gas is makes a good point. My assumption is it would be very difficult to find a motel with a vacancy. I am very picky about motels which makes it very difficult to find a room in normal weather. I would expect everyone would get a class action suit going due to misconduct by the gas company putting peoples lives in danger. If the gas failed, they should have had backup generators to keep up the pressure. But arbitrarily turning off gas meters is criminal!
I am surprised that the sheeple of Alamogordo are willing to be forced out of their homes and herded into a shelter with no complaint.
If my gas went out or was turned off, I would stay in my house (apparently some on this blog who weren't sheeple did that.) I would use space heaters and light a fire in the fireplace. Lighting the fireplace is something I wouldn't normally due~~only for an emergency.(I have a friend who heats with wood because gas is too expensive.)
There were only 27 people in the entire state that stayed in the shelters during this storm.

Since: Jul 08

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#65
Feb 6, 2011
 
BarbMoore wrote:
<quoted text>
There were only 27 people in the entire state that stayed in the shelters during this storm.
Strange, I expected to see masses in shelters andhad the impression that all 3000 in Alamo whose gas was cut off would be there.
land locked sailor

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#66
Feb 6, 2011
 

Judged:

1

Andy Whiteman wrote:
<quoted text>
That is what I though when I was in town and saw Walmart's prices. Didn't check Lowes. But I have been checking the Lowe's ads and your prices are lower than Kansas City! I don't buy meat because it is too expensive, but your meat is downright cheap compared to here. I may eat meat after I move.
You are in for a shock once you move here.
Did you look around the city, and ask how people like living here.

So why do airlines not get sued when bad weather forced cancelled flights and people are stuck in airports for days?

“Come walk with me...”

Since: Feb 11

through the Ninth Gate...

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#67
Feb 6, 2011
 
land locked sailor wrote:
<quoted text>
You are in for a shock once you move here.
Did you look around the city, and ask how people like living here.
So why do airlines not get sued when bad weather forced cancelled flights and people are stuck in airports for days?
YOU ARE NOT THE ORIGINAL LLS!! IF YOU WERE YOU WOULD ANSWER THROUGH YOUR TOPIX POST LOG IN. Fool....

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Placitas Discussions

Search the Placitas Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Today I Saw (Nov '09) 7 min fmer505-1951 54,888
Good Old Days 2 (Apr '10) 11 min Mister Chix 105,838
Dick Knipfing KRQE Channel 13 News 55 min fmer505-1951 3
NM vets react to Congress' VA reform deal 1 hr Long Time Viewer 2
Homeless slayings underscore dangers on the street 1 hr fmer505-1951 6
MADD brews up non-alcoholic drinks (Sep '09) 2 hr THE GREEN WATCHDOG 19
Bait Car Arrests 10 hr expect 1
•••

Flash Flood Watch for Sandoval County was issued at July 29 at 10:24AM MDT

•••
•••
•••
•••

Placitas Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Placitas People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Placitas News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Placitas
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••