Farmington dodges natural gas outages...

Farmington dodges natural gas outages [1:45 p.m.]

There are 16 comments on the Farmington Daily Times story from Feb 4, 2011, titled Farmington dodges natural gas outages [1:45 p.m.]. In it, Farmington Daily Times reports that:

The Farmington area appears to have dodged the natural gas outages rolling across New Mexico this week.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Farmington Daily Times.

Puddin

Albuquerque, NM

#1 Feb 4, 2011
They need to cut the gas to Santa Fe. They have plenty of hot air to go around....
Roughneck

Albuquerque, NM

#2 Feb 4, 2011
Kind of funny that the tree huggers that live in Toas and Santa Fe that are against any kind of drilling are screaming now. Like asking where milk and eggs come from..... the store.
Tex not tex

Salt Lake City, UT

#3 Feb 4, 2011
If they keep "Striping" the btu's out of it you are not going to be able to light it.
Mexicandy 24 7

Albuquerque, NM

#4 Feb 4, 2011
I hope the Hollywood people that live in Toas are keeping warm with their green energy solar panels..
Opps. its been cloudy for a week.

“Just a Red Herring”

Since: Apr 08

Farmington, NM

#5 Feb 4, 2011
Mexicandy 24 7 wrote:
I hope the Hollywood people that live in Toas are keeping warm with their green energy solar panels..
Opps. its been cloudy for a week.
I suppose that would depend on what sort of panels they use, what type of storage they have, whether or not they are grid-tied, stand-alone or hybrid systems and just how thick the cloud cover is.

See, you can be as snarky as all get out towards solar if you want to. Fact of the matter is, it's a great source of energy and should be proliferated instead of scorned.

Personally, I'd love to have an entire farm of the stuff... array upon array soaking up our prime New Mexico sun and feeding what I don't use myself into the grid so that others could benefit.

But this ISN'T a thread about solar power, is it?
Nick_

Grenada, MS

#6 Feb 4, 2011
Get a life Nick.
Lee Farmington

Albuquerque, NM

#7 Feb 4, 2011
It wasn't our fault it was someones fault in Texas were NM regulaters can't touch this: NM GAS Don't be going for that rebate check just yet and how about that rate increase??
WhyWaitSaturday

Albuquerque, NM

#8 Feb 4, 2011
New Mexico Gas Company said service was disrupted throughout the state - in Bernalillo, Placitas, Taos, Questa, Red River and parts of Albuquerque, Silver City, Alamogordo, Tularosa and La Luz.

Emergency shelters were set up in several areas. Martinez said residents needing help finding a shelter or getting to one should call the non-emergency police or fire phone number in their community.

'As New Mexicans, we've always gotten through difficult situations,' Martinez said.'We will get through this situation as well.'

- Witness the Home of Al Gore – DEMOCRAT (The Deceitful Environmentalist):
A 20 room  mansion (including 8  bathrooms) heated by natural gas. Add on a pool, a pool house, and a separate guest house, all heated by gas. In one month this residence consumes more energy than the average American household does in a year. The average bill for electricity and natural gas runs over $2400 per month.  In natural gas alone, this property consumes more than 20 times the national average for an American home.

An what of ex-Governor, Bill Richardson who personally approved the Pit Rules that decimated NM natural gas drilling creating this situation for millions of New Mexican children and elders, freezing cold in their homes - others, able, heading out to shelters in search of a way to stay warm !!!!! and Richardson all the while smiling/sitting in his warm Santa Fe mansion.

“Come walk with me...”

Since: Feb 11

through the Ninth Gate...

#9 Feb 4, 2011
Good for your city. Las Cruces is being victimized by our thug run government. This is only 5 - 8 degrees colder than every winter here, add both EPEC and our city gas company have for years bragged about how our high prices made our area have the most advanced energy in the nation. BULL! Glad you up in Farmington have a good local government, and not a gang of thugs like we have in Cruces. Peace.
AlternateThinker

Albuquerque, NM

#10 Feb 4, 2011
Lee Farmington wrote:
It wasn't our fault it was someones fault in Texas were NM regulators can't touch this: NM GAS Don't be going for that rebate check just yet and how about that rate increase??
What is left of New Mexico gas is dedicated to California - the home State of Bill Richardson - Texas is attempting to bail out the people of New Mexico, and you Democrats protesting this generosity asking more from Solar and Wind Turbines that only work during the warmest of summer days. Jump into your Obama Volt, and just see how far you get - 50 miles on a warm summer day.
retskips

Rio Rancho, NM

#11 Feb 4, 2011
Clean, Reliable Natural Gas huh?

I was just waiting for employees of Natural Gas to try and link regulation to outages for part of the state. When in actuality Utility Companies have to demonstrate their ability to provide utilities to utilities commissions, and apparently they can't in NM. Meanwhile utilities get to raise your rates by 11% and this isnt for new alternatives just good old increases, your gasoline has gone up .60 cents a gallon or 25% in just six months, and it's going to go higher. Personally I don't care what Oil&Gas lobby and employees do or want. When you see that Tesla driving around the area, you can say to yourself he doesn't pay for gas and he doesn't pay for electricity, because my 2.5+kW photovoltaic system powers my house and my vehicle. The best way to get someone to see your point of view, make them envious.
G Simpson

United States

#12 Feb 4, 2011
AlternateThinker wrote:
<quoted text>
What is left of New Mexico gas is dedicated to California - the home State of Bill Richardson - Texas is attempting to bail out the people of New Mexico, and you Democrats protesting this generosity asking more from Solar and Wind Turbines that only work during the warmest of summer days. Jump into your Obama Volt, and just see how far you get - 50 miles on a warm summer day.
One thing that some don't realize is the current state of innovations with solar energy and storage, new technology in battery life and storage is making alternative energy more plausible. The arguement of solar having limited capabilities is at best obtuse and outdated.
Fuzz

Las Cruces, NM

#13 Feb 4, 2011
Nick and G Simpson,

Do either of YOU have solar power? I seriously doubt it as it costs a MINIMUM of $20,000 to set up a house to run on solar power at current prices. That is why it is NOT feasible. If they could get the price down in the same range as natural gas or coal fired energy then I have NO problem with it. They haven't and can't do that in the fore seeable future. SO SHUT UP.

“Just a Red Herring”

Albuquerque, NM

#14 Feb 4, 2011
Nick_ wrote:
Get a life Nick.
If you have nothing better to do than troll me, have a great big ditto back at'cha~

As for WhyWait... didn't take you long, now did it. Instead of focusing on the issue, you're pointing fingers backwards. Won't be able to do that forever... I'm sure, no matter her politics, our current Gov. will be swept up in the chaos with the rest of us~

“Just a Red Herring”

Albuquerque, NM

#15 Feb 4, 2011
Fuzz wrote:
Nick and G Simpson,
Do either of YOU have solar power? I seriously doubt it as it costs a MINIMUM of $20,000 to set up a house to run on solar power at current prices. That is why it is NOT feasible. If they could get the price down in the same range as natural gas or coal fired energy then I have NO problem with it. They haven't and can't do that in the fore seeable future. SO SHUT UP.
Sorry you missed it, but I didn't bring up solar... someone looking to make cheap shots at folks in Taos and Santa Fe did.

As for prices? They come down every day. The initial cost is scary to folks... but think of it this way, it pays for itself over time. Quite literally. And all it takes is sunlight.

A well planned system will cover a homeowner's needs for the duration of its lifetime of use... and I do mean LIFETIME of use. Figures I've seen have warranties for systems getting up there in the years that are FAR beyond peoples' expectations (I don't have them in front of me, so I won't quote)... as well as provide extra power to be added to the grid.

It's funny... if we, as a nation, wanted to undertake solar as a national (if not global) initiative, we could do it. The space race showed us what ingenuity our engineers can have. The science is there and it's proven. The only problem is logistics and will.
Samso Denmark

Albuquerque, NM

#16 Feb 4, 2011
Sure makes sense, but my pa drilled holes so now I gotta drill too.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Placitas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Dershowitz: Trump has no constitutional barrier 42 min barnyard 7
Is LULAC a racist organization (Mar '16) 43 min barnyard 73
What Does the Catholic Church Stand for Anymore? 43 min barnyard 26
Good Old Days 2 (Apr '10) 2 hr Frmr-fmer505-1951 114,802
Today I Saw (Nov '09) 2 hr Frmr-fmer505-1951 63,845
News Mother says missing daughters may be in N.M. (May '08) 10 hr G-Cat 31
APD Directive: Issue Citations, Not Arrests Fo... 19 hr Just Saying 1

Placitas Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance